Years ago

Who Coaching where

Just a question on where some well known junior coaches are coaching next year. This is not an aim to bag anyone about there coaching, just a general knowledge exercise.

U12
U14
U16
U18

Div 1 teams of both boys and girls.

Topic #329 | Report this topic

Libertine  
Years ago

Norwood (boys named first):

12s - Michael Whitford; Sylvie Gower
14s - Nicole Johnson; TBA
16s - Carlo Bertetic; Damien Weeks
18s - TBA; Troy Schroder

Reply #2554 | Report this post

Larry Sengstock  
Years ago

Libertine who's in the mix for the 18 boys

Reply #2560 | Report this post

Know it all  
Years ago

It's already been decided, I think you'll find Libertine's just being diplomatic as it isn't announced yet. That and he's currently coaching at another club.

Reply #2563 | Report this post

Larry Sengstock  
Years ago

clues????????????

Reply #2565 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

the job for U-18 boys is up for grabs as libertine said

Reply #2568 | Report this post

Know it all  
Years ago

He didn't say it was up for grabs, he just didn't say who it was.

I have heard from numerous sources that the spot has been filled.

Reply #2570 | Report this post

doddobird  
Years ago

it was but trust me mate i should know

Reply #2572 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Maybe not...I have heard it WAS filled by someone from another club...but that person had to decline. Don't know any more, maybe Libertine could fill us in?

Reply #2573 | Report this post

Berry?

Reply #2574 | Report this post

LIbertine  
Years ago

You'd think doddobird was on the ball ;)

Cat in the Hat knows as much as I do.

Reply #2579 | Report this post

littleones  
Years ago

Where is the love for the under 10 g&g's coaches and who are the form coaches?

Reply #2580 | Report this post

Robert Sibley  
Years ago

Forestville's coaching lineup has been appointed and is on its website

Reply #2649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers:

U12's: Owen Green/Bill Ninnes
U14's: ???/Jason Balfour
U16's: Steve Knight/Travis Leaver!
U18's: Troy Wagener/Kim Jury

14 boys has been filled it's just not my place to say.

Good to see Trav back and Steve staying on.

No room for Ryan Kinghorn, I hear he was interested, bit harsh.

Reply #2830 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Strongish group for Tigers. Very highly regarded pair of U16 coached.

Better than what they've had the past few seasons.

I too have heard rumours about the U14 boys coach, any Tigers members care to confirm who will be coaching them?

Reply #2832 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Sturt will announce its coaches sometime next week. Our applications close this Friday so until then nothing is 'official'.

I can say (from the Boys side of the club only) as per our 'rotation policy' the U/12, U/14 and U/16 Div 1 teams for 2005 will be coached by the Div 2 coaches in those age groups from 2004.

Regards

Reply #2841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Michael Toohey (spelling?) from Woodville is the new U/14 Boys Southern Tigers Coach

Reply #2844 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

I will have a press release for you tomorrow Jirachi.

Reply #3629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha marc wallis has follwed his beloved team AGAIN. seems that maybe their ONE loss has found marc tryin to mend the error of their way.

have fun... again... girls.

Reply #3658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos kim jury? for the southern u18 girls? last i heard they still didnt have a coach

any help?

Reply #3659 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Kim Jury is the Southern Tigers coaching Director for Boys. He has coached U16s at Tigers and is currently doing the U18 boys. Apparently he will be doing them again next season.

My sources tell me Troy Wagner will be doing the U18 Tigers girls. He currently does the U14 boys.

Reply #3662 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Jirachi

Can you post what you know anyway? Would be interested to see.

Reply #4068 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

I hear Ryan Kinghorn is doing the Under 18 girls at Southern.Marc Wallis doing 18's again? 3rd time lucky to see if he can get himself that gold medal at Classics. oops! I mean the girls getting the gold. We all know that he has the kids best interest at heart.

Reply #4091 | Report this post

Moochie Norris  
Years ago

re Norwood coaches - great to see Michael Whitford back doing the Under 12s!!

Reply #4092 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Indeed!

Reply #4094 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

If Ryan is doing 18 girls... what is Troy doing?! Nothing?

I think Ryan would be good with the U18s. Just so long as the interest level is there, from himself & the girls.

Reply #4095 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

RE : Mike Whitford... absolutely. I think he's a great coach.

Libertine - any idea on the 2 vacant positions yet?

Reply #4096 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

There's always alot of talk Hoop, rumours everywhere, all the usual names for 18s around the club, been mentioned on here (etc) - I'll let you sit for a bit, it should be confirmed soon.

14 girls, I'm not in the loop at all, although my sister will be in the squad (I'm guessing anyway), I have heard they are very short, as the current coach (Troy) is up to 18s, and the 2s coach isn't continuing. This age group two years ago had two parents coaching the top 2 teams - maybe some unknowns? They will be a bit of a step down from past Norwood 14 girls teams, judging on their results two years ago, but could prove challenging - a girl at trials (who they certainly didnt have in their team last time!) was two inches taller then me already!

Reply #4098 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

And Southern will still have 2 6ft girls that will be very hard to stop. A very strong group what I hear.

Reply #4237 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Also I am told that Troy is not coaching now because he wants a year off after the crap year this year.

Reply #4239 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Fair enough for Troy... I guess coaching one full year is just too much.

So what is Wes Knight coaching? I have been told 16 boys (though it appears that will be Travis Leaver) or 20 men.

Reply #4242 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Word is that Wes might do 10's boys and Travis is definetley doing the 16's

Reply #4492 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Jirachi

For the clubs remaining, do you have any info on what some of the better-known coaches will be doing next season, eg Bald, Gillies, Molitor, Berry, Holland.

Anyone else know??

Reply #4507 | Report this post

I think that you will find that the parent who organised for Wes to be removed from U/12's has moved club and has had problems with coaching every year her kid plays. Good to see Wes will be back coaching.

Reply #4508 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Berry won't be in Adelaide, will he?

Reply #4513 | Report this post

Mr. Shnrub  
Years ago

Berry is coaching Under 18 Div 1 Boys

Holland is coaching 20s Div 1 again aswell as 16 1 girls

Donna Sheldon coaching 16 boys 1

Nigel Alexander 12 boys 1

relitivly new coaches in other possys at woodville

Reply #4572 | Report this post

South parent  
Years ago

Has anyone heard who's coaching what at south next season?

Im desperate to know who will be coaching my kids next season and haven't heard anything from south yet.

I've heard Kelly Manning might be doing 18 Boys.

Reply #4969 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Kelly Manning should .. in my opinion.... be coaching the senior men at south. I would like to see that !

Reply #5028 | Report this post

south d  
Years ago

Who is Kelly Manning and what are her quals?

Reply #5032 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Kelly is a he :-)
and he has been coaching under 12 div 1 boys for 2 years. He is really a senior coach with lots of experience

Reply #5033 | Report this post

south d  
Years ago

Sorry he. When / where did he coach seniors?

Reply #5037 | Report this post

Really!!!!  
Years ago

Kelly Manning was assitant to Graham Kubank in 2002 at South, after being interstate for the previous few years.

He might get an opportunity now if he wants it, as I have it on good authority that due to a change in employment Shaun Scanlon may resign as Coach of South's ABL Team.

Reply #6491 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Kelly Manning? Not Kelly Manning, he being older brother to Andrew Manning.

Strewth, if that's the guy, he is one heck of an old blast from the past for this child of the 70s.

Kelly - must catchup, despite the fact you obviously have no idea who I am!!

Reply #6497 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Seems a few clubs are not ready to share...

West anyone? Mavs??

And what about Norwood's two unfilled spots?

Reply #6782 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Sorry all, one more question.

Is Manning confirmed as 18 Div 1 coach at South?

Seems a good fit if so. If not, ABL maybe??

Reply #6829 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

From what I've heard Kelly is doing 18 Boys, Adrian K(not sure of last name)is doing 12 Boys, John Beames doing 12 Girls.

Reply #6833 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

All of these are unconfirmed rumours - just what I have heard around the traps :

South
U12 Girls - John Beames
U12 Boys - Adrian Kendrick
U14 Girls - Jason Brown
U14 Boys - Don Shipway
U18 Girls - Darryl Crump
U18 Boys - Kelly Manning.

No idea on either of the U16s sides. I could be way off beam anyhow, but that lineup is what I've heard.

West
Mark Molitor to do U18 Boys, Carlee Patterson to do U18 Girls, Jo Noone to do U16 Girls, Bob Hunnerup to do U16 Boys.

I have heard James Rattus (ex-Tigers coach) will be returning to the div 1 fold (he's done U16 div 3 boys & U12 2s this year) at Eastern, doing U16 1s.

Reply #6834 | Report this post

Shut Up  
Years ago

South intend to announce their Junior Coaches at Junior Presentation day on Sunday, yes I know it is Div 1 Finals day. (and South wouldn't have any teams playing anyway, hahaha - Token Sarcastic South comment.)

Hoop Addict is pretty close with the names except Jason Brown wil be doing U16 Girls not U14's. Not sure who is doing U14 Girls or U16 Boys. I assumed that Damian Kent was continuing with the boys, but could be wrong there.

I am told ABL job will be advertised on BASA website and in Wednesday's Advertiser

Reply #6840 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

Do we have any news on the coaches at West and Mavs yet?

Reply #6900 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Hoop Addict has given us some of the West coaches...but what about 12s and 14s?

Mavs...if James Rattus is indeed coaching 16 Div 1 then that is a decent appointment. Assume Jason Bald will stick with 18s. Anyone got anything else?

What about Norwood 18 Boys and 14 Girls?

Reply #6914 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

South coaches as announced today...

12 Girls - John Beames
12 Boys - Adrian Kendrick
14 Girls - Jason Brown
14 Boys - Don Shipway
16 Girls - Jason Brown
16 Boys - Scott Thurr
18 Girls - Daryl Crump
18 Boys - Kelly Manning
20 Girls - Nikki Foran
20 Boys - N/A

Reply #7565 | Report this post

Marlin  
Years ago

Would Don returning to South this year have anything to do with his great nephew going up to U14s???

Reply #7594 | Report this post

Years ago

Does the reason matter?

Reply #7598 | Report this post

Marlin  
Years ago

Interested as to why Don would come back to South now.

Reply #7600 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

It probably does, but who cares?!

It's a great thing for the Club, no matter the reasons behind it!

Well done to Don for devoting the time to coach Juniors again. He's certainly not doing it for himself, what does he have to prove?

Reply #7613 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

Quite a good looking coaches list for the boys program. Must mean the Al got the senior job then?

But how is it possible for 1 coach to coach U/14's and U/16's. If the two teams are at different venue's it is impossible. And even if they are at the same venue it makes the U/16's have a tired worked over coch. And it's not like he has much of a record as it is. Good to see Darryl continues to coach his daughter, I'm sure that she will get plenty of court time and opportunity.

Reply #7617 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

My mail says Kellaway to do U14 girls at Norwood.

Still no word on U18 boys... anyone?

Reply #7619 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I think he may have been mentioned around here before.

Reply #7624 | Report this post

Jirachi  
Years ago

I think the list shows where the club is at. If not Jason doing two teams then who? Jason has two assistants (Emily Bryant 14's and Carissa Marshall 16's) who have both coached junior teams themselves.

As for your comment on Daryl Crump I think that is very unfair. Daryl has along and successful junior coaching career from his timeat Noarlunga City Tigers and was a long time Coaching Director there too. To suggest he would favour Megan in any way is being unfair to both him and her.

On the boys side of things two things worry me. Adrian Kendrick and Scott Thur will either sink or swim. I don't doubt eithers enthusiasm but Adrian is a huge drop from Kelly Manning (12's 04,03) and lacks the basketball knowledge to coach a Division ONE Under 12 team in my opinion. Scott will be good as long as he is allowed to just coach and not get weighed down by the usual basketball politics that can happen to any rookie Division One coach at any club. (Or a vet Division One coach for that matter.)

Is good to see the Don rumour confirmed. I'd assume Paul Robinson will coach the Under 20's again.

Reply #7626 | Report this post

anonymous hater  
Years ago

Peter Berry is coaching u18 Norwood, can confirm it... he left woodville...Skip to my gav is apparantly quite upset, no word from the rest of the bunch

Reply #7629 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

Jirachi,

Good sumation of the boys program. What they need now though is a bit of continuity, letting the likes of Thur and Kendrick? to learn a bit. So long as Scott goes to Don and Kelly for advice he will do OK.

I think that you will see that I didn't say Darryl was a bad coach. But if you had of watched the team last year, it was quite obvious that with 3 players in the State Squad the team was run around 1 player. And then managed to finished 2nd last.

As to Jason Brown, I think that as these teams are going to struggle anyway considering their results over the last numbr of years and the number of lpayers that have left, a coach that is only there some of the time is a receipe for disaster. And considering that he hasn't really got any sort of track record it is more than likely going to happen.

Reply #7632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #7634 | Report this post

Daniel Hughes  
Years ago

14 girls could be good. Two years ago in 12's they played in the Summer Grand Final and onlylost it by a point. All they needed was some height.

Oh and I coached them too. Great bunch of girls, from Division One to Division 3b :-)

Reply #7635 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

Daniel,

Hasn't their best player gone to Forestville though.

Reply #7637 | Report this post

Daniel Hughes  
Years ago

Not that I know of. Not that they really had a best player. Yes one of the girls I had in 1's is now at Forestville, another is at Southern Tigers. Still lots of talent in the group at South.

(That was me dodging the question, no way I'm going to label any of them better then another based on 12 months ago.)

Reply #7641 | Report this post

Daniel Hughes  
Years ago

Oh and Coach Colin Pickett and his U12 girls also won the Division Two title two years ago to so there is a bit of depth there too. :-)

Reply #7642 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

I believe that some of the bottom age players have left as well going to Sturt? Is that the case?

If so then I go back to my original statement that an inexperienced coach only there half the time is a receipe for trouble.

Reply #7652 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

So if Berry has moved to Norwood, who takes 18 Boys at Woodville?

Reply #7678 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

michael makinroth(spelling?) has the 18 div1 boys at the warriors. he's been round the club for a long time and has very good bball smarts.He is inheriting a very good team as well that should go deep in to the finals. Lynn is staying with the 20's for another season at least.
P.S. a certin PBerry, will b a marked name at the warriors for a while now. A lot of the highracky not very happy with his late choice to leave.

Reply #7682 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

I thought that South's best kid, Bow? has gone to Forestville. I Centrals will be around the mark and North have picked up Paige from West.

Reply #7683 | Report this post

Daniel Hughes  
Years ago

Tigerfan, as I said I know one of the girls who played 12 1's is at Forestville but I'm not going to agree with you that she was/is the best. They were a very even group and any of probably 6 of them could have won the MVP if there was one.

As far as I know one of the bottom ages has gone to Sturt. Still to write them off is being extremely unfair. Add abit of bulk and height and they definately have the talent to stay with the best in this age group.

Reply #7742 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

So who do you think the top teams will be?

Reply #7765 | Report this post

Daniel Hughes  
Years ago

Sturt will be tough and if they can keep their talent Centrals will again be up there. Balfour always seems to get his Tiger 14's to the finals so I guess they might sneak in even though I think North, South and Forestville (in no particular order) are better. Eastern also were competitve in 12's.

Top six was even in the end and MAYBE add in Tigers it makes for a very interesting grade. From what I have seen of late I still like Sturt right now though.

Reply #7804 | Report this post

ahem!  
Years ago

i believe the berry move was well known to the heirachy a long time

lynne is spelt this way

and it is michael mackenroth who is very smart coach

Reply #7825 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

As much as U20s don't seem to count for much these days - I'm curious to know who will be coaching some of the teams? Obviously Lynne is coaching the Woodville boys. Shane Croxton is lining up at Forestville again. Is Phil Haines coaching West again?

Is Wes Knights confimed to be coaching anywhere?

What happened to the rumour that Craig Rowe/Simon Crowden were coaching U16 Boys at South next season. It would appear Scott Thur has that position? Does this mean Rowe & Crowden will stick it out at Tigers?

So many questions, so little time :-P

Reply #7863 | Report this post

Rumour  
Years ago

I believe Heath Jury assistant coach to the Southern Men will be also coaching the U20 men down in Tigerland.

Thats the rumour

Reply #7864 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Hoop

Wes Knights U10s at Southern last I heard.

Reply #7871 | Report this post

Tigerfan  
Years ago

Yes, Wes to do Under 10 Boys. He will do a good job. 21 women I hear Senior coach Noes is doing them.

Daniel,

I am interested to know why you still think South will be there in 14 even though they were botton in 14 and their 14 2 struggle this year. I would have thought Tiger girls would be right up there?

Reply #7886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

iu

Reply #102110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"iu" Translate that for me?

Reply #102130 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754