Anonymous
Years ago

Looks like Delly will make final roster...

If Coach Brown's "slip of the tongue" proves accurate. Good on him, the future of Aussie Hoops is bright. With Mills, Delly, and Exum all still in their 20's, the Boomers may well go with a 3 guard lineup in 2016.

"Mike Brown might have inadvertently let the final roster decisions out of the bag after Monday's game. "We have four rookies," he said. “Two of them will be undrafted in Henry Sims and Dellavedova.” Those two players are expected to earn the last two roster spots."

http://www.morningjournal.com/sports/20131022/cavs-scrappy-rookie-dellavedova-gaining-admirers-with-video

Topic #32921 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throw in a 20 yo Simmons (presumably drafted in the NBA by then) and a 31 yo Bogut at Center and we have a legitimate shot for silver. Probably favored to medal too.

Reply #441336 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Thats great. So he (hopefully) signs with Cleveland and then is assigned to the NBDL Canton Charge and continues to work on his game and become more familiar with their systems and guarding fast guards. then when either Kyrie or Jack is injured Delly might get some minutes?

Reply #441338 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Dellavedova has another fan in Cavs coach Mike Brown, who more than likely will be keeping the point guard on the roster, even if he spends some time with the D-League affiliate in Canton.

"He's played well for us,'' Mike Brown said. "He's tough. He's smart. He's a leader. He's done a nice job taking care of the basketball, especially for a rookie, because he kind of got thrown into the fire a little bit with Jarrett being out. He's played major minutes for us and he's done a nice job. ... I can't ask for much more than that.''

Dellavedova even has played with All-Star Kyrie Irving, handling the point guard duties while Irving shifts to shooting guard.

"For the first time in my first three years I can actually play there comfortably now,'' Irving said after Monday's game. "I know all the positions on the floor, especially from the 2-spot. It allows me to not exert so much energy dribbling the ball, especially at the top of the key. I get to come off some screens. It's something we go through every day in practice. Me being at the 2-spot just opens up the lane for our bigs and our shooters in the corner.''

Reply #441340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With that lineup we should easily challenge the USA for gold in Rio... Heck Lebron and Durant wont stand a chance against us

Reply #441341 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That's great news, although did I miss something with the "with video" stuff? I can't see one...

Reply #441343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the haters now??

Reply #441354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hater is just a few posts up. If Exum and Simmons are both top four picks, and Delly and Patty hold serve as legitimate NBA players, and Bogut is healthy, the Boomers will be the only squad besides USA fielding 5 NBA players. No reason they jouldnt be a favorite for silver and a contender for gold. The US has lost to worst - see 2004.

Reply #441356 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Countries like Spain, Brazil & Argentina and even France would also need to stop developing and producing NBA caliber players on the regular for your best case Boomers scenario to play out Anon.

The future is bright for the Boomers with that young talent coming through but unfortunately they don't count up which side has the most "NBA players" then hand out the medals.

Reply #441360 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Rumour has it Lebron and Durant are shaking in their boots

Reply #441361 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Don't forget Baynes. Could have as many as 6 NBA players on Rio 2016 team. Agree with mystro just having NBA players in your team doesn't guarantee you a medal (unless your USA) but we are a chance for a medal along with France,Spain etc.

Reply #441362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes mills and delly bench players at brst. Who knows what the young kids will be like then and boguts body has to get there yet. Your talking about challenging the USA with 1 fringe all star and some bench players vs 8 or 9 NBA all stars.....tell him he's dreaming

Reply #441363 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Even Canada will have more NBA players then us next Olympics.

Reply #441367 | Report this post

pauly  
Years ago

patty is killing it right now he is in career best form. u saw him absolutely kill it last olympics just watch him at the next.

Reply #441368 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Let the hater have her say. We are all entitled to our opinions

Reply #441370 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Canada should bum mount us in the future. They have some players coming through.

Reply #441372 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

every country has new exciting players coming through the ranks and every country aspires to medal. some just have more chance than others.

I'm not saying Australia doesn't have a chance to medal either as you can produce some very talented players and have a great Coach in Lemanis.
It just isn't going to be easy.

Reply #441375 | Report this post

Choppy Galopy  
Years ago

Let's not downplay the Argies of 2004. Good players lead by Ginobli in beast mode.

Reply #441378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Usa got shocked by puerto rico in the first game and ran into a red hot Argentina in the semi's. That team had none of the work put into it that todays teams do.

Reply #441379 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

We will have our best players and the greatest depth ever for the next World Championships and Olympics. The problem is that there are a number of other countries who are getting much better. There have never been so many elite teams. As previously mentioned Canada haven't even been on the radar for 20 years till recently but are now overflowing with potential NBA all stars.
Any of the teams that get to the top eight other than the USA will be a chance to compete for a Silver or Bronze. We just have to be playing at our best to be any chance. Our coaching may make the difference either way.

Reply #441390 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Canada didnt qualify out of a weakened Americas this year. It doesnt matter how many NBA players you have if you dont have a good team.

I think we do have a good team, and potentially some very good talent in it. Much more importantly than what role they play at club level, we will have a lot of good international experience.

Making top eight is always an achievement, hopefully we can go that one extra step and make the medal round, but world basketball is so tough now that it will take a bit of luck.

Reply #441403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA players are the best in the world. Having 6 players of that caliber on your team makes a difference I'd say. Obviously they need to get it all together and play as a team, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't happen. No reason to believe 2016 Boomers won't be our best squad w the best chance of medaling.

Reply #441410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly can flat out play

Reply #441440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrett Jack back in the starting linup for the Cav's. Must be over his knee injury. Delly still getting good minutes though

Reply #441441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

obviously the usa team is super good and everyone is chasing them. obviously the top euro teams are very talented and have more depth than us, regardless of nba players or not. Nothing above means you can't get excited about the future for boomers basketball. Kids who can't resist making dumb meaningless comments about how good Durant and Lebron are just show that they don't get it.

Reply #441445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately it looks like Delly is having a shocker against the Wizards today.

Reply #441446 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Definitely had a shocker 0-6 fg and 6 turnovers in 28min. Hopefully he has already done enough prior to this game to earn a full contract. Jarrett Jack made his comeback in this game.

Reply #441468 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"NBA players are the best in the world"

The best NBA players are the best in the world, no doubt, but outside of that, once it comes to the international game, other NBA players are no better than the top guys outside the NBA.

In fact, guys like Spanoulis, Navarro, Fernanadez, McCalebb, Gelabale, Penney, Lavrinovic, Huertas etc have performed at the level of some very good NBA players in FIBA play.

If some of our guys develop into top NBA guys that's a great sign for the national team, if in terms of our guys who are fringe NBA it doesn’t tell us nearly as much as their international form does.

Reply #441475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hmmm. Patty Mills surely qualifies as "fringe" NBA. And he led the olympics in scoring. The fact is the 14th man on an NBA team would light up any Euro league and flat out destroy the NBL. The guys who down talk the NBA and compare it to Euro etc or how the NBL all stars would compete in an NBA season are idiots.

Reply #441494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Are you trying to claim Mills is as good as Spanoulis or Navarro?

Reply #441542 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Paul, you picked up that? I liked the claim Mills would 'flat out destroy' the NBL. Surely we have actual empirical evidence we can rely on in that regard, like, say, from his ACTUAL time in the NBL?

Reply #441546 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

You're drawing a long bow there XY, trying to extrapolate actual NBL performances into hypothetical NBL performances. You have to admit that's pretty loco. Next thing you'll be trying to do the same with other fringe NBA players like Anstey, Bradtke & Heal.
Anyway I guess we will never know for sure, so all we can do is speculate.

Reply #441557 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, it's not like he actually played against teams like Perth and New Zealand to see how he would go, so we just have to assume he would destroy them given he is in the NBA I suppose. That's fair enough.

Reply #441558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you trying to claim Mills is as good as Spanoulis or Navarro?

Would anyone say otherwise? He's played longer in the NBA than either of those guys lasted and is a better player than both of them at international level.

Reply #441566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, you picked up that? I liked the claim Mills would 'flat out destroy' the NBL. Surely we have actual empirical evidence we can rely on in that regard, like, say, from his ACTUAL time in the NBL?

Patty Mills was leading the league in scoring, Top 5 in assists and had the Tigers top of the ladder at the time he left for China!

Reply #441567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leading the league in scoring doesn't count for "destroying" the NBL? Leading the olympics in scoring doesn't count as performing well on the international stage? Are you guys out of your tree or is it just me. I would take Patty over Spanoulis 7 days a week and twice on Sunday based both on their NBA career and international play. Get a clue.

Reply #441571 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When you lead a competition in shot attempts, by a reasonable margin, as Patty did in the Olympics and NBL, you have a good chance of leading it in scoring. It's a good effort, but it doesnt really make you the best player.

I would have to agree that Mills destroyed a part of the NBL, the bottom three teams, he averaged 25 points at over 50% against them. Very impressive.

Against the rest of the league he averaged 13 points at 32%, which wasnt quite as impressive.

Anyway, this isnt about that, it's about Delly, who has some of the same great traits that make Spanoulis one of the top players in the world, and that's great news for the Boomers.

Reply #441573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Mills had the open green light to shoot whenever he wanted? Sounds like the coaches must have built the offense around him. Is that ever done for anyone besides the best player? NO. Mills played a handful of games in the NBL it's pointless to pick out specific ones to prove your point. He could be the best player in the NBL this season, but is choosing to take a reserve role in the best league in the world.

Reply #441587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Step into the NBA; magically become a basketballing Superman.
Get cut from the NBA; back to sucking again and getting regularly lit up.
The magical powers of the NBA never cease to amaze.

Reply #441599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So when are we likely to find out if he gets a spot on the roster or not? Guessing today was the final pre-season game with the season starting in 4 days.

Reply #441605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the guys that survive the cut are surely better than those who don't. Pure delusion to think a euro league team would compete in the NBA, or that a squad consisting of the best 14th men in the NBA wouldn't run the table in the NBL. People on this board seem to be down on Aussie players in the NBA but delusional about the quality of ball in the NBA or europe for that matter. Wake up.

Reply #441606 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Depends on if you are playing the real rules of the game which favour teamwork and IQ or the NBA rules which favour athleticism and individual talent. To almost completely discount anything outside the NBA as some have done on here is folly as it is evident at Olympics/WC that the gap between even the best of the NBA and the best of the rest is not huge once teamwork comes into play.
Of course a team made up of 14th men would probably win a NBL title, but what is more relevant here would be the question, "would they beat the Boomers even without Bogut?" I would say an emphatic NO to that. We would have only 2 NBA 14th men on our team and no other NBA players.
So there is 12 NBA players V 2. I think that illustrates the argument of people like Paul.

Reply #441629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754