Anonymous
Years ago

Number of fouls in Breakers-Cats

Whats with the amount of fouls called in the Breakers v Cats?

49 fouls in one game seems super excessive, as is the permanent benching of 5 of both clubs best players in Abercrombie, Vukona, Martin, Redhage and Jervis.

I couldnt watch the game but it couldnt seriously have been that bad?

How does 49 fouls in a game make the game "more enjoyable and freeflowing"?

I hope there is never umpiring like that again

Topic #32929 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

apologies, it was Wagstaff not Martin

Reply #441522 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

The Breakers and the Wildcats were the reason for the rule changes, of course they are going to struggle the most.

Reply #441528 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

On the other hand, we haven't struggled like that in any of the other games.

On the other other hand, part of the high foul count was clock management at the end. (18 of the fouls were in the 4Q).

Reply #441531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I couldnt watch the game but it couldnt seriously have been that bad?"

"I hope there is never umpiring like that again"

How can you comment on the officiating if you didnt watch the freaking game?????

CREDIBILITY ZERO.

Reply #441533 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How can people not understand also that there is inevitably a transitional period where teams get whistled and are forced to adjust? No wonder this was anonymous.

53 fouls called today in Warriors-Kings which is 44 when adjusted for 40 minutes. Same in Heat-Pelicans.

Reply #441535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive seen games with 50+ fouls called plenty of times at SEABL level and nobody would argue the game was over called. Hard physical intense games sometimes go that way.
Also in close situations in the last qtr teams deliveratly foul too, so you cant look at the foul count and just draw wild conclusions.

Reply #441536 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The problem with today's game, the refs weren't calling the fouls which they were supposed to be ruling out and instead calling very soft fouls on defenders in the low block and when getting rebounds. It was a very poorly reffed game, but the numbers don't indicate that.

Reply #441538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Spot on. Was poor tonight.

Reply #441540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is crystal is that this Perth team is going to break some record books for wins in a season. They are probably on par with any of the teams in the last few years if not better then the Breakers championship teams. Ennis has made them the team to beat.

They are going to get Knight back as well and if they stop all the slow starts, the leagues in trouble.

Reply #441543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 5th foul on

Reply #441547 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

...Redhage was a shocker?

Reply #441560 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Watching the replay, just got to that last Redhage foul. Holy CRAP that was a bad call...

Reply #441564 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

The game was very physical but there were some terrible calls.

Reply #441592 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

There were a couple of times where Martin could/should have been called for a foul, based on what I understand the new interpretations to be. He was caught out of position when defending the ball carrier and fixed that by making contact. No call.

Then he and CJ were tussling for a loose rebound, the contest was fair but CJ still fell over so they decided it must have been a foul.

Those two examples are the exact opposite of what should be called.

Reply #441595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac

Just cause boti likes it, doesn't mean it's right.

The game was just poorly called. I was there. Recharges last foul. Abercrombie for his fourth. All bad calls.

Atleast it was consistent. Consistently poor.

I do think the cats did a better job capitalizing on it though. Better free throw shooting. Better decisions. For example wagstaff and Jarvis were both on 4 fouls for ages. The breakers should have gone in low on them every time. Instead they settled for the jumper outside and did that high screen offence - which isn't as effective under these new rules.

Webster and corletto were both out of sorts - especially Webster.

Pledger needs to stop stuffing round on the block, needs to make his play much quicker before the double team can come. Boy is his footwork amazing though. One hook shot he did, and another time he did guarded the guards on the perimeter and I was breathless.

Ennius - what a class act. Boy can he dunk with authority. This is a great Perth team. I would have loved to have seen lisch there instead of beal. Beal played well but lisch and Ennis would have been mouth watering.

Young Jarvis is a good pick up. Seems a step up on trueman. Nice demeanor about him also - doesn't get phased.

Saw enough of the breakers to know they have still got game. Shame about the refereeing.

Reply #441684 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Yep shame Lisch isn't there to enjoy Ennis as well.

From a wildcats fan's perspective I was wrapt that Abercrombie got 2 quick fouls and we got to see Te Rangi (who I think played 3 minutes against Townsville and not an excessive amount more against Cairns) and the young fella impressed, that BLOCK on Ennis was awesome, but overall Abercrombie still got his minutes at the end of the game and Perth also struggled with fouls.

It's the sort of game in which you can look at the stats and see how many fouls everyone got and instead of thinking 'this player had 1 foul so he must defend the way the refs want' but instead I feel it's a case of 'well he doesn't play hard enough'

I know at one stage last season Lisch (the Kevin, not Steven variety) had 17 fouls in 16 games and that feels a case of didn't play hard enough

Reply #441700 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reffing tonight in Cairns, while not perfect, was much closer to what it should be. Didnt allow the grabbing, checking etc. but allowed the guys to play like men and have a fair dinkum contest.

In NZ the night before it was the opposite, and on a number of occasions the whistle would go and the place went quiet, everyone was looking around trying to figure out what the call was.

Reply #441707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754