Isaac
Years ago

Goorjian to be inducted into Hall of Fame

All time coaching great Brian Goorjian will receive one of the sport's highest honours when he is enshrined in the Australian Basketball Hall of Fame at the Class of 2013 induction dinner to be held in November.

Arguably the most successful coach to have served in the National Basketball League, Goorjian coached 735 games between 1988 and 2009 for 514 wins - the most in NBL history.

In an NBL coaching career spanning two decades, Brian also amassed six NBL championships, six Lindsay Gaze NBL Coach of the Year awards, 19 consecutive NBL play-off appearances and 13 NBL Grand Final series appearances.
Goorjian will be coaching and unable to attend the ceremony, so Jason Smith will accept the award on his behalf.

Topic #32964 | Report this topic

Proud  
Years ago

Well done Goorj, shame we can't hear his speech as I'm sure it would be a ripper

Reply #442051 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I have always wondered why Brian Goorgian has not tried to have a crack at the NBA in America. Brett Brown and Mike Dunlap both got head coaching positions in the NBA. Admittedly Dunlap only was head coach for one season, but had a successful stint as a assistant coach with the Denver Nuggets.

But I have always wondered why Goorjian has not looked at his options, considering its more lucrative and he is originally from the US. While Dunlap and Brown had great success in the NBL, Goorjian without a doubt had the most success out of the three, but chooses only to try his trade in Australia and China.

Reply #442073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BB has been involved in the NBA for a long time now.
He left the Kings and he was politely asked to decide where his future was to be. Australia or the US.
He left Oz and now he's a Head Caoch of an NBA team. Goorj is doing very well BTwW.

Reply #442081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also Goorjian said the other day he hasn't ruled out coming back to the NBL one day but I dare say he's on a lot more over in China than any team here could afford to pay him.

I think Westover returning from Japan might be more likely.

Reply #442088 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Yeah Goorjian suggested that considers Australia his home and will come back. I also feel Goorjian has also always had the interests of Australian basketball at heart. He's Magic teams played with only one import at times during he's tenure with him. He also criticized Perth Wildcat coach Adrian Hurly when Perth acquired two imports after James Crawford, Ricky Grace and Scott Fisher became naturalized Australians - suggesting Hurley will go too any length to win a Championship.

Reply #442096 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Serious question... Who here hated Goorj as the Magic coach and thought it was great when his Titans teams kept losing grand finals... Yet wouldn't take a second to ask him back to the NBL?

As for who could afford him I reckon Perth would fork out $1m a year; dr Bendat has admitted he expects a championship - hardly sounds like someone that wouldn't buy Goorjian's services if available

Reply #442097 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The OP sums it up clearly the best coach in nbl history. Clearly deserves to be in HOF.

Reply #442100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Full circle is Goorjian back in Australia coaching the Tigers down the track.

Not many NBA coaches come from outside their system - they start as assistants or move up from the video room.

To be an NBA Head Coach, he'd be like everyone else and have to start as an Assistant - couldn't see him doing that.

Brett Brown paid his dues. He had a volunteer player development role at San Antonio then they basically created a job for him.

Reply #442107 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

This confuses me, create a ceremony to honour someone who wont be there. Why cant BA just wait til Goorj can attend. HOF can be done at any time, Goorj's schedule would be fixed and inflexible.

Reply #442114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westover's been back in Australia for a while now.

Reply #442118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westover is boys coaching co-ordinator at Knox.

Reply #442120 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Nice one, KB3 - they're obviously following a standard process even when it's not practical.

Reply #442125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westover is also at ACB as one of the senior coaches.

Reply #442134 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that Goorjian should start out as a NBA head coach. But I was just pointing out at the heights that Dunplap and Brown have got too in terms of personal in the NBA.

But Goorjian has not at least even tried and had a crack as an assistant coach or coached in a NBA developmental league.

I see where this has been discussed on a previous forum and someone suggested he would make a better college coach. That probably a more correct assumption. Goorjian the best coach ever in the NBL in developing young Australian talent.

In the NBA you have to manage minutes, ego's, players agents, money, stardom. John Calapari virtually says that why he coaches college basketball and has no interest in coaching in the NBA again.

Reply #442136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjian has little interest in coaching the NBL. One thing he loves about China is that he is simply left alone to coach. No politics, no backstabbing, no fans saying he can't coach like here.
Good money and he has his aussie posse around him, supporting him and each other.

Reply #442137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westover sacked from his Japanese club is hardly surprising. In NBL timeouts he never said anything of value. That's why he wore crocodile boots to deflect the attention away from what he wasn't saying.

Reply #442887 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754