Melbourne Boy
Years ago

Big V - News on Clubs or Players

Clubs are now being told if their requests are being backed by Big V and now require member endorsement, so far we know the following:

- Oakleigh are going in Div 2 Men

- Warrandyte Women up to Champ

- Whittlesea and McKinnon up to Champ Men

Any other news across the divisions?
Also any player signings developing?

Topic #32966 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corio Bay and Camberwell into YL2W

Reply #441989 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Hawthorn had been approved from div 1 men also.

Its interesting that McKinnon got the nod. Timmons is a great player but hes coaching youth league so could struggle to play all their games

Reply #441992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris jones and Jordan Canovan to Packenham to join Topp and Ferrier

Reply #442005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge signing in D2M made! Stay tuned

Reply #442059 | Report this post

D  
Years ago

I reckon you are talking about Manny Hendrix. He will find this league so easy it will be boring for him.

Reply #442064 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Did he sign with Westernport?

Reply #442067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Manny Hendrix. A SCM player has signed on at a D2 club...

Reply #442091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wodonga to have a team in d2m

Reply #442104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melton bringing everyone in the west out of retirement as a quick fix to the mass exodus from the club.

Reply #442140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what happens when you let a
Championship winning coach go. I under
Stand he was a pain at times but boy can
Coach. Who have they signed?

Reply #442149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jermaine Williams having a chat with waverley I hear

Reply #442152 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Another coach signed two imports and then found out Williams was available. Such is life....

Reply #442159 | Report this post

Coach carter  
Years ago

Williams has spent the last 2 weeks up in Mildura and from reports has all but moved back there. If Mildura re-sign Henry they could suit up the last 2 D1M MVP's in 2014.

Reply #442161 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If those two sign they will be tough.I would expect Calvin to go back only as a last option as he will chase money elsewhere.Needs to keep his career moving forward.

Reply #442163 | Report this post

Coach carter  
Years ago

From how good Calvin was last year I think Mildura will throw the kitchen sink at him. There is a lot of hype around Williams but he will be I think 34 next year and I don't believe he played anywhere last year so will he still have it. 34 years old and taking close to 2 years off could hurt.

Reply #442174 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Eric williams shopping himself around too...looking for a new home that isn't in Corio!

Only issue is no other big V teams can match his asking price!

Reply #442181 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If Midura sign Henry it will be late as he'll work through other offers first.Hes at an age where he needs to chase some dollars as hes done the hard yards the last couple of years. Couldnt meet a nicer guy off the court.

Reply #442188 | Report this post

Admins  
Years ago

News is that Henry has already signed with Mildura for 2014 but wont be there until about 4 games into the season.

Reply #442190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Williams agent is sending emails to every club with his asking price. Well and truely over inflated!

He is not that good!

Reply #442200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is he asking for?

Reply #442202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I know his looked after down at Corio Bay verrrrrry well

Reply #442212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think you can believe the rumours on here after all the canovan one surely has no truth to it seeing as though they didn't even spell the team name correct. If it was someone from pakenham they wouldn't have made such an error.
Manny hendrix might dominate but any team with him in it will not contend for a title.
As for melton coach was only ever going to be there for 1 season. Sunbury have given him much more money to spend on players than melton did. SCM signing in div 2 big deal what does that mean. Kevin benn played div 2 this year and although he won all star centre because there were no other centres in the league he had a terrible year.

As for the structures hawthorn will be in div 1 and they will drop the bottom 3 teams from each div 1 group into div 2. Melton and one other team promoted, probably keysborough will give div 1 10 teams and div 2 16 teams with oakleigh and wodonga coming in.

If that doesn't happen two teams will be promoted from div 2 to give div 1 16 teams. It depends on which div the league wants to have the seperate groups.

Reply #442231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty stupid by the league to have not decided on how the league will be next season given that all clubs have had try outs already. What are the big v waiting for????

Reply #442232 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The league has decided on the structure. This happens when they meet with clubs (two weeks ago) to decide on requests made to the competition committee. It is not finalised until the AGM as any new CLUBS (not teams) get voted on by the members. Once it is confirmed at the AGM it is released.

Reply #442236 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

Why would Keysborough be promoted to D1??? The didn't even make the grand final in d2. Surely it would be Keillor or Pakenham who both finished higher.

Reply #442248 | Report this post

??  
Years ago

With that said, The big v will say they would not need to promote anyone if 3 teams go up to SCM and Melton are promoted. That would leave d1 with 14 teams and be split into 2 conferences of 7 and with Wodonga coming in leaves d2 with 10.

If I were them I would have d1and d2 have 12 teams each. But that is probably to much common sense.

Reply #442250 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

??, Oakleigh are also in D2 this year, So if the 3 go to SCM, Melton come in to D1 making 14(2x7), Div 2 then has 11, that makes sense.

Reply #442286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be 4 new clubs in State Champ not 3.

Reply #442294 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Anon, are you saying Knox Will be there?
Along with Whittlesea, Hawthorn and McKinnon?

This makes:
14 in SCM (2x7 conferences)
14 in Div1 (2x7 conferences)
11 in Div2 (building towards 14)

Reply #442298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another post said knox were already confirmed for seabl next season. I'm telling you hawthorn will not be in SCM. Keysborough might be provided because they want to. Keilor and pakenham want to stay in div 2.

Reply #442336 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Want to stay in D2? Why would any club want to do that??? Surely after a couple of years in D2 you can develop/recruit and move up to D1?

Reply #442351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you need to recruit to make a D2 team strong enough to compete you have a serious problem with your junior program.

Reply #442365 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Yeah i agree, thinking maybe 1 or 2 recruits to help guide your youth wouldn't be a bad thing?

Reply #442367 | Report this post

MAGICMAN  
Years ago

why would hawthorn not be in Champ Men they have been asked many times before and refused but now they have the roster to compete in champ men? They deserve to be there before Mckinnon.

Reply #442376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2 teams seem make finals once and then want to play d1.

Reply #442377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keysborough Cougars set to announce a big signing in the not to distant future.

Reply #442389 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Manny Hendrix has just been announced at Western Port, he used to take 25 shots a game in Div1, i guess hell be putting up 35 shots now.

Reply #442423 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Good move by Westernport.Hes a fun guy and does alot of work in the community. Starting to wonder what STH Pen are upto.Lots of chest beating on there behalf but little in the way of cattle at this stage.

Reply #442426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't that what Luke Sutherland is like? Lots of chest beating with little results?

Reply #442428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of clubs over the years have wanted to stay in div 2 and craigieburn after winning it still didn't want to go up to div 1.

Reply #442430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah pakenham perfect example of recruiting for div 2 team. No good home grown players and despite the fact they have 8 courts and are in a developing area the junior programme is terrible.

Reply #442431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pakenham seem to have an okay junior program but no doubt they have willingly opened up the cheque book both last season and this season coming. It would almost be a certain fact that Ferriere, Topp, Reid and now Jones that would be getting some sort of payments. Buying a championship at the Division 2 level just does not work.

Reply #442454 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Southern Peninsula have announced a 12 mth partnership agreement with Andrew Bogut Basketball. Unfortunately the media release fails to tell us what the partnership entails which suggests not alot.

Reply #442457 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

What partnership/sponsorship details are released? What are the details of the partnership between Jayco and Dandenong? I don't know the details so it's probably nothing,

Reply #442461 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

What partnership/sponsorship details are released? What are the details of the partnership between Jayco and Dandenong? I don't know the details so it's probably nothing,

Reply #442462 | Report this post

Mark Holman  
Years ago

Who is this Luke Sutherland you speak of ?

Reply #442623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is the AGM? Ive heard that Hawthorn got into championship.

Reply #442624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any other news in other Divisions aside from just bagging out on clubs in D2.

Surely McKinnon would have to recruit a couple of guys to compete at SCM

Reply #442675 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep Hawthorn SCM

Reply #442782 | Report this post

dione92  
Years ago

The Coburg Giants men's team is pleased to announce the off-season signings of Aron Pantano and Shane Leggett, the pair have both been out of the Big V for several years but the chance to play together for these great friends brought them back into the league.

Also on the big v site today is the official release of south penn and ABB - good for them if they get to use that venue!

Reply #443444 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Seems all very quiet at the moment...Be interesting to see who Sharks sign.

Reply #443447 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Hey Happy Days, whats your fascination with Sth Pen?

Reply #443448 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Change direction every year with there senior program. One minute they want to be in championship and load up.Then they decide they want to focus on juniors and cut there imports even though the imports are what they've spent the last 12 months building there brand on. There media releases are a just a little over exuberant: "reaffirming the association's status as the most elite sporting club on the Peninsula". Maybe just a few clubs ahead of them in that respect.

Reply #443452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are obviously not counting Frankston as part of the peninsula (which it is) because they fade into the background compared to a couple there.

Reply #443456 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

There is not much news coming out of any of the state based leagues or SEABL at present. It must be the quietest silly seasons on record.

Reply #443457 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

Fair enough Happy Days, with so much interest i am not sure why you don't get involved with the Association?

Reply #443458 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Would love to but unfortunately with work, media and my role as a commissioner you have to learn to say no as there not enough hours in the day. Not much happening in SEABL.I know players have been made offers but there seeing if theres anything better out there at the moment.

Reply #443460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alex Bogart King to Albury, leaves a big hole for Hume.

Reply #443470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hey if you want to get into a small town rinky dink school in Canada then Luke ( chest beater) is your man. He certainly wins the "look at me" award for 2013. Now that he has got into bed with Sth Pen he will have access to more unsuspecting kids and parents.

Reply #443524 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If kids are good enough colleges will hunt them down. With youtube and there contacts on the ground here, anybody whos half descent should get a look in.My nephew is a runner who represented Aust under age and he would of had 15 offers from top d1 schools.Currently in his Junior year and cant speak highly enough of the school and how they look after him.

Reply #443525 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

#443524 - Just trolling are we? Tell us all what you do for basketball, and the young kids playing our sport.

Reply #443533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big loss for Hume, wonder how ABK will go in SEABL?, he's a small 4 man, bit like Platenik, ok at Big V level but might struggle in SEABL.

Reply #443536 | Report this post

Bird IS the word  
Years ago

Ahhh anonymous, it's no good wishing that Franghanistan is part of the Peninsula, it isn't, move on.

Reply #443549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ashke: I dont fill thier heads with promises be it explicit or implied about getting them into a college. I dont have to continually beat my chest about how good I am or how great my facilty is so that I get kids and parents to spend big bucks so I can pay a mortgage and I cetainly dont bag every other program out there just because I need to make a pay check for myself.And I dont take credit for other peoples hardwork and efforts in developing players.
WHat motivates this guy and a few like him ?? EGO AND MONEY.

Reply #443556 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

I would think that selling his program and it's facilities would be part of his job, what do you think? The rest i guess is your opinion, and i am still waiting for you to tell me what you do for the game and the young players at your club.

Reply #443558 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ashke, why is your question relevant? Does the anon have to be a junior coach to have an opinion on a program?

Reply #443561 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Sunderland is paid promote and grow the business and it is upto the parents to vote with there wallets whether they think it is legitimate option to get there son to college.His coaching performance will be determined by his wins and losses and what he can do with the junior program.

Reply #443574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge signing by the Keysborogh Cougars today!!!

Reply #443577 | Report this post

Ashke  
Years ago

HO, just curious really. More interested to see if it was an educated opinion, no doubt it was.

Reply #443578 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

pretty sure results speak for themselves. Any other organizations sending a decent volume of kids to colleges?

You have to promote your successes don't you? That's what smart business is.

I know that there are organizations out there that registering with actually means you cant go to college at all (but at the same time they don't seem to promote the college route explicitly too much)and I am pretty sure the Bogut Academy repeatedly state that "there are no promises" and that "you have to do the work"

Reply #443582 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Chook,

Thats a little simplistic I think.

There may be more kids going to College now than say seven years ago but back then none of these programs were running around. And the quality of where kids are going needs to be questioned. Do we have more kids going to D1 or D2 colleges now than 10 years ago?

LC probably has numbers at his finger tips.

The harder questions are, and I could not even begin to answer them:

- are these kids paying too much to get to the level of College they are getting to?
- are these kids paying too much rather than focusing on being in a quality Association program, ie, would they have got their anyway by another pathway
- is the College outcome even good for them or does it validate the program just to get the kid to "a" college?

Lots and lots of Aussie kids have got to College without a program like this, at all levels.

Reply #443586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ahhh anonymous, it's no good wishing that Franghanistan is part of the Peninsula, it isn't, move on"

Geography sorted this one out a long time ago, and Funky Town is in.

Reply #443594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the issue with Luke? Let him do what he has too and if you dont like him then dont involved. If he can help kids live their dreams while getting an education he should applauded.

The real question is who is keysies big signing??

Reply #443613 | Report this post

BBaller  
Years ago

Think you might find Frankston is "The Gateway to the Peninsula" Anonymous, nice try though.

Reply #443626 | Report this post

CHOOK  
Years ago

Anon 443613 - 100%

Reply #443627 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Getting back on topic, has anyone heard about the proposed structure and number of teams in SCM, Div1, Div2? Conferences?

Reply #443641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Think you might find Frankston is "The Gateway to the Peninsula" Anonymous, nice try though."

You're talking marketing slogans, I'm talking geography. The geographical MP starts at a line between Pearcedale and Frankston. Nice try though.

Reply #443646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have any news? Lots of talk about big signings but its been very quiet

Reply #443982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric Miraflores to Keysie for serious $$$$

Reply #444015 | Report this post

Vesta 20  
Years ago

How much is serious $$$$

Reply #444433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club number 6 in 4 years.

Reply #444442 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Why would you bother recruiting a player with that many clubs....

Reply #444443 | Report this post

Admins  
Years ago

And will leave the team when it gets a bit tough. OVERRATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #444446 | Report this post

Phobos 96  
Years ago

you can look at it two ways, with the amount of dickhead admin and coaches there is a few good guys who struggle to find a place to play and a lot that won't even bother now.
Maybe this is the case maybe it isn't but often a guy with a few clubs in a few years is just trying to find the right place.

Reply #444496 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

or the right amount of cash some small Div 1/2 club decides it needs to pay so called "talent"

Reply #444498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is Big V TV back? As for getting paid. If the club wants to pay then that's their choice. They would be doing it for a reason. Just like any other business.

Reply #444642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When is Big V TV back? As for getting paid. If the club wants to pay then that's their choice. They would be doing it for a reason. Just like any other business.

Reply #444643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #444644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #444645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #444646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #444647 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You can say that again.

Reply #444648 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

give Paul a ball.
give Paul a ball.
give Paul a ball.
give Paul a ball.
give Paul a ball.

Reply #444661 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Ringwood Men have signed two new imports.They will be very competitive again next year.

Reply #444662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eric, This is the same guy who lied to Hume about being rubbed out in a domestic game, then tried to play under a different name. He is a sreetballer with no idea that he has 4 more team mates on the floor.

Reply #444663 | Report this post

Triton 24  
Years ago

Will any of the new teams to Big V make an impact on finals contention this year?

Reply #446846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour has it Oakleigh is about to sign
Some big names. Think SCM ...

Reply #446864 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:30 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754