Mystro
Years ago

Breakers Vs Sixers Round 4 NSEC

Have the Breakers roster changes (Gary Wilkinson in, Lazare & Truman out) made them a Contender?

Can the Sixers get it done in NZ?

Should be a great game with both teams matching up pretty well.

Ervin Vs Johnson
Creek Vs Abercrombie & TeRangi
Schenscher Vs Pledger
Johnson Vs Wilkinson
Petrie Vs Vukona
Cadee Vs Webster

I'm going with NZ at home by 7.
It's a must win game for NZ to get their 4peat aspirations back on track and Wilkinson will be helpful offensively and home court advantage won't hurt the Breakers either.

Topic #32975 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Must win for NZ but Adelaide will also be chomping at the bit to make up for a disappointing Melbourne game. Two teams with a lot to play for, can't wait!

Reply #442172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what I have seen of the '6ers they are not going to be contenders this season, no one will beat the W'cats, who they will play off against is a three way street, not heading down the Adelaide road though!

Reply #442178 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Two of my preseason top 4 picks going at it should be a great game. I think NZ will be marginal favourites with home court advantage and Wilkinson a great addition. Breakers by 5.

Reply #442179 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yup exactly Nathan. Breakers need to sort their slide asap and the Sixers need to post some more W's to justify their stacked roster.

Both teams have quick guards and legit big men and it's always a joy to watch Petrie & Vukona go at each other so should be a very good game.

I am personally looking forward to seeing Rueban
TeRangi have a go against Adelaides Mitch Creek.
A couple of exciting up and comers with tons of hops butting heads, what's not to like?

Lets just hope the refs let them play and put away all the soft calls off the ball that just slow the game and rob the fans of seeing both teams best players on the court making exciting plays.

Reply #442180 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think this is a massive game for both sides as I am sure that Adelaide who've started LWWL will want to show some consistency and with the core of the 36ers side there from last year being mentally frail (didn't they lead breakers last year by 21 and got rolled) and a win to 36ers will give the squad more belief and if those core want to show some intestinal fortitude after being the breakers bitch of late (when did 36ers last beat Breakers?) then this needs to be a statement game!

As I put in another post... Adelaide by 16 points

Reply #442182 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

16 points is a pretty big Statement when the league leaders (Perth) only beat them by 7 points?

Reply #442183 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Doubly a bold call when you consider that there haven't exactly been lots of 10+ and 20+ results so far, been mostly very even contests.

Agree on those match-ups, Mystro, will be entertaining. Will also look forward to seeing how NZ arranges its new-look frontcourt against what might be the best set of big men in the NBL atm.

Reply #442187 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure that Adelaide wins head-to-head on paper match ups in many places against NZ. They could surprise them over there, but I doubt it. No huge advantage with Wilkinson vs Johnson or Johnson vs Ervin. Petrie, Vukona, etc. Someone like Pledger is far more productive than Schenscher. And then Webster, CJ, and so it goes on.

Certainly wouldn't have Adelaide anywhere near favourites and I think keeping it within 10 at the end is reasonable. We looked good in Perth, scrappy but capable in Cairns but a bit of a rabble in Melbourne at times. When things got messy, there were no clean looks from outside and obviously we were dismal from the stripe.

Maybe we get Vukona benched through foul trouble and hopefully Abercrombie too, but it's not a reliable tactic. DJ is a real key as he is one who can definitely convert from the foul line.

Reply #442191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't want to derail the thread, but the assumption that Perth will be as good as now presumes injuries/Ennis go in their favour.

There are plenty of scenarios where Adelaide and Breakers rise above Perth.

Reply #442192 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

based on the current rule interpretations, Vukona & or Abercrombie being on the bench in foul trouble is a very likely scenario Isaac. Hopefully Vukona especially can make the defensive adjustments needed to play some quality minutes against Petrie & DJ.

I expect a big game out of BJ Anthony for the Sixers who is guaranteed to have family & friends in attendance at the North Shore Events Centre.

Reply #442195 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Fun fact: Mika Vukona is averaging an NBL career high 25mpg this season & Tom Abercrombie is averaging a career-low 2.3 fouls per game!

Reply #442197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro

Lets just hope the refs let them play and put away all the soft calls off the ball that just slow the game and rob the fans of seeing both teams best players on the court making exciting plays.

Isnt going to happen. The league has instructed the ref's any holding, body checking etc off the ball is to be called and the definition around that is if you dont call it tight and allow players to move unhindered away from the ball you wont get appointed.

Simple answer, if player dont put their hands in or check people away from the ball etc the calls wont be made. The emphasis is on the players to adjust. Simple as that.

Reply #442199 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm talking about two players competing for loose balls, rebounds etc

There were a lot of soft calls that went both ways in this regard in the Breakers/Wildcats game, it was painful as a spectator.

Reply #442201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I did say off the ball sorry,
there was some soft moving screen calls that were called and some pretty blatant ones that were missed like the Jervis one on Abercrombie as Abercrombie chased Ennis and Abercrombie got the foul for fighting over the moving screen.
There were some similarly weak calls that went against Perth players for minor contact off the ball.
Impeding a cutter is one thing but an incidental bump well away from the ball with no distinct advantage or disadvantage is another.

Reply #442203 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

It's like someone just told them "call more fouls" but neglected to tell them what fouls they were supposed to be watching out for, so they just improvised in the rebounding contest.

It's not a good sign when the commentators can't even come up with anything to say about a call, left with just laughing for a few seconds (i.e., Redhage's 5th)

Reply #442204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona's fouled out in 3 of their 4 games this season.

Reply #442205 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't want to derail the thread, but the assumption that Perth will be as good as now presumes injuries/Ennis go in their favour.

There are plenty of scenarios where Adelaide and Breakers rise above Perth.
And likewise others that go against NZ or Adelaide. An injury to one or two major players could quickly derail either.

I think an interesting discussion worth having one day soon is guessing how much Knight returning would actually improve the Cats. Obviously he's an excellent player, but any shots he gets come from someone else, etc. Jervis has been doing surprisingly well.

Reply #442207 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"I don't want to derail the thread, but the assumption that Perth will be as good as now presumes injuries/Ennis go in their favour.

There are plenty of scenarios where Adelaide and Breakers rise above Perth."

Anonstradymous.

Reply #442208 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Jervis has been doing well, but having Knight come back into the lineup improves us on both sides of the ball nonetheless. He's still a better offensive weapon, his ability in the post offensively and defensively is still a cut above Jervis. It may take shots from others, but its also going to create quite a lot more. And having that many threats on court when we have our starting five all on will help free up Ennis.

Also, consider how it insulates us from Jervis' foul problems, much less chance of having to play out a last quarter sans the big man. One of Knight or Jervis will be there. Jervis has been great, an absolute gem of a find, but he shouldn't be mistaken for an All-NBL starting C.

Reply #442210 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Playing without the big man has been a blessing at times though, teams have really struggled to guard Ennis, Redhage and Wagstaff on the court at the same time with how well theyve been shooting.

Reply #442211 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I remember well. Bet on 36ers to win in NZ by +11. Sixers won by 10. Nagy wrote that Tyndale should be replaced. Tyndale was best. Ninnis was replaced by Clarke. Clarke didn't win in NZ.
Here J.Frye will be best. J.Wright to win.

Reply #442213 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Well if you're ever in a situation where you want to take risks on D and score, Beal has shown he can do well as a playmaker, so put Beal to PG, Ennis can play the 2, Wagstaff and Redhage at 3 and 4 and then Knight in the post.

Would enjoy watching a team try to deal with that variety of threats and vectors. Can penetrate, can hit from the outside, can play the post; dare I say it, can score, will score.

Of course, I'm no one coach or expert, so that may be totally implausible, but I really don't see a downside to Knight supplanting Jervis.

Reply #442214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Favourite two teams playing; hope its close but I always feel NZ had the wood over sixers ever since that 3 quarter time slip 3 years ago when up by 18 with 12 mins to go, and we lost by 7. Never forget that, and that was the day it all changed.

NZ by 11

Reply #442218 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Don't think the Breakers will win by quite that much, but I'd be putting my money on them if I were a betting sort.

Reply #442220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The day it all changed was when we lost the Breakers first ever NBL game over there to start the 03/04 season despite us being roaring favourites.

The Breakers have owned us from Day 1.

Reply #442221 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Both teams have been disappointing so far but I think the Breakers have the edge in this one.

Reply #442224 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Apart from the Melbourne game, what has been disappointing about Adelaide? Been a good season to date, especially after the last one.

Reply #442225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't quite get why Adelaide have been so disappointing?
Arguably the toughest 5 game start in the comp with only one being at home. Nearly went into Perth without Gibson and Frye and won and the Melbourne loss was disappointing but a tough game. A lot of new players that will take time to gel.

As for this game, NZ, just. They will be desperate.

Reply #442228 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's no time like the present to go hell for leather.

Petrie-Vukona is always great to watch. Kinda like watching Stallone and Schwazenegger jelly wrestling. Sit back with some popcorn for the Creek-Abercrombie show. Who can do the better alley-oop?

Wilkinson could be a bit "rusty" after his flight. It was tempting to make an anonymous call to NZ Customs about an American smuggling things across the border, but he might enjoy the search. He is definitely the dangerman and has sunk the Sixers from outside the arc too many times.

My biggest concern with the Sixers have been the periods where they seem to lose control of the game, then pull off a come from behind surge. It's nice they can come from behind, but better to be in control.

My tip is that Wilkinson will be the barometer. A couple of dud shots will dent his confidence, but a couple of swish 3's will get those Kiwi kousins jumping out of their seats.

Like to see a different result, but Breakers 94 to 83

Reply #442230 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Wow didn't think my 16 point tip would surprise as much as it has and this is why I tipped how I did :

A little influenced by the optimism of 36ers fans on here and they super impressed me against Perth in front of me.

Breakers seem to get horrible ref calls even at home this year (even Woollongong game)

I reckon DJ will have 18 first half points and Breakers will always be chasing their tails

I think Cairns were full of confidence and 36ers beat them and Breakers must be feeling a little deflated after pre/early season form and I think right now Cairns +15 over NZ and that's how I come to 16 points

Reply #442261 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Adelaide haven't beaten NZ in how long and NZ will be feeling deflated?

NZ haven't exactly been blown out and had a chance to win in Cairns so I think it will be the other way around.

Adelaide played pretty terrible down the stretch in Melbourne and have been owned by NZ in the past few years including some games where they have blown some pretty decent leads.

Pledgers footwork offensively and especially defensively has been very good so far this season so what is it that makes you think DJ is all of a sudden going to score 18 first half points against him? I could see Pledger scoring that on him in the post over the course of the game but not the other way around and not in one half of basketball.

Sack Joey Wright?

Reply #442263 | Report this post

To say that the 36ers will win by 11-16 is a joke! Saying that the Breakers will win by that much is way more reasonable.

Speaking of that Breakers by 11-16

Reply #442266 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Let's go Sixers!

Reply #442397 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Getting close - probably the first really influential game for year in terms of potential impact on the final standings.

Reply #442460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope the sixers put up a fight, but would expect NZ to win.

Aslong as the sixers win most of there home games they should be ok, no one wold have expected them to win against perth in perth, would have beem expected to beat Hawks at home, and 1-1 split of an away double is fine, so for me they are on par with what i expected them to be, aslong as they win against the Kings at home they will continue to be on par for mine.

Reply #442466 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Die hard Breakers fan but just put $30 on the Sixers to win.

TAB had them at good value..$3.30 head to head

Win-win for me..i either get a bit of coin or enjoy a Breakers win ;)

Reply #442467 | Report this post

Jackie  
Years ago

Why all this love for NZ? Wilkinson over Lazare is a plus, yes. But it also cost them Trueman so that's any extra size gone. They also have lost their past three games. Are people thinking abt this year's Breakers or last year's?

Reply #442468 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

People's perceptions of teams is very laggy. In reality, Adelaide are just about equal favourites tonight.

Reply #442471 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Adelaide will come out hard and I think Wilkinson won't be as good as he was in his last stint with NZ. Adelaide by 7.

Reply #442472 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

They still get credit for being the fearsome 3-time champions. I imagine it will take more than just a 1-3 start to kill the allure.

If they end the weekend 3-3 then I'd say their back. If they end the weekend 1-5 then they're cooked. If it ends up 2-4, then we still don't really have a handle on them yet.

Reply #442474 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I think the 6ers will win, will take Wilinson some time to fit back in. New coach and players around him since his last run. Joey doesnt take any bullshit like Marty did, he will expect a win and nothing less, 6ers are stacked. Could actually get ugly for Breakers, just have a feeling.

Reply #442476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still cant see how 6ers will win. great team, but all good teams on the verge of greatness need time to gel. still think they are about 4-5 weeks away from a hard-ass team.

but hopefully will be good match. nz by 6-8

Reply #442480 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Game tips off in about 15 minutes. I'm tipping NZ by 7-10 but would rather a road with for the 36ers...

Reply #442482 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

In this league if you need 4-5 weeks to gel, your done. Hope your opinion nis wrong on that, because only 4 teams make the playoffs and its going to be to tight to catchup.

Reply #442484 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Probably better to say they will take a few weeks (like most teams) to hit their best, but I don't think they'll be off the rails until then. I think we should be strong at home and snipe at least the occasional road win. They've looked good in 3/4 games so far.

Game about to tip off.

Reply #442488 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Hoping LiveScores will work for this ...

Reply #442489 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, if we've tipped off then live stats isn't working.

Reply #442490 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Can someone keep the updates then.... well done NBL FFS!

Reply #442491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About 10 minutes ago the 36ers twitter said sixers were up 24-9 and Gibbo was on fire but thats all I have

Reply #442494 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wicked, thanks for that.

Reply #442495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, no live stats

Reply #442496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, no live stats

Reply #442497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 33-20 early second

Reply #442498 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Now 33-27 our way

Reply #442499 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Update: 41-29 to the 36ers (tweeted by the NZ Breakers).

Sounds like Joey Wright just got hit with a tech foul.

Reply #442501 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Wow looking solid.

Reply #442502 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Is anyone else's NBL TV extremely pixelated and pausing every minute? Driving me nuts!

Reply #442503 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ervin has 11 points so far and its now 43-29.

Reply #442504 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

BJ Anthony and Mika Vukona ejected. Seems heavy-handed, but favours us you'd think.

Ervin throws the fast break lob to Creek, Vukona gets an USF trying to stop it. Anthony rushes in to remonstrate with Mika and there is some mild chesting of sorts. Pledger drags BJ out, Vukona goes after him.

Would've thought it was double USF (plus an extra on Vukona), but oh well.

Reply #442506 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Ahahahahaha what?!

Man, I am definitely watching this game when I get home.

Reply #442507 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

BJ Anthony has been ejected from the game, as has Mika Vukona.

Reply #442508 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Well done BJ! No love lost I assume haha

Reply #442509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Anthony stands up to Vukona, gets shoved, then showed again, then Vukona shoves him yet again and they both get thrown out?

Reply #442510 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Score?

Reply #442511 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Over-reaction by the refs.

Mikas play was dangerous. No problem with that being an unsportsmanlike.

Crowd of just 3100. Wow. Disappointing

Reply #442512 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So, Vukona more structurally important to NZ than BJ to 36ers.

But Vukona was probably going to foul out anyway, so might be a net loss for 36ers :D

Reply #442513 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

NBL website just reported that Vukona and BJ Anthony had been ejected from the game.

Reply #442514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About 2 mins to go adel 46-33

Reply #442516 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

If Twitter is to be believed the refs completely overreacted to the situation by throwing Vukona and Anthony out of the game.

36ers are up 51-37 at the half.

Reply #442517 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@2510,

Gotta boot an away team member when you boot a home team member in a place like that - self-preservation by the refs!

Reply #442518 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Those refs are an absolute joke. I love the NBL, but I hate that I love it.

Reply #442519 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

^lol

Reply #442520 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

It'd be funny if it weren't so sad, Bob.

Reply #442521 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

That was a joke BJ Anthony was ejected. Should have been an unsportsmanlike foul on both players for the fighting and because it was Vukona's second he should have been ejected. Absolutely horribly decision by the three of them. BJ Anthony commits one offence and gets the same punishment as the player who tackled Creek in the air, then enters a fight.

Adelaides playing well and Creek is once again really stepping up!

Reply #442522 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

What did joey say in the interview just after half time was called?

Reply #442523 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"Most disapointing thing I've ever been involved with in Australian basketball" Joey Wright after BJ Anthonys ejection (Andthefoulnet tweet).

Reply #442526 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Joey said it was the worst display of refereeing (or something to that effect) that he has seen in his time in Australian basketball. Also that a ref came over to tell him what calls were going to be made as a result of the whole situation, then the ref changed his mind and called something different after talking to Joey.

He was pissed. And I don't blame him.

Reply #442527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically he said it was the most embarrassing call he's ever seen in Australian basketball

Reply #442528 | Report this post

Quasi  
Years ago

Totally agree with Skud re Anthony and Vukona situation. Piss poor and lack of balls by the refs. Joey was pissed in the interview and will probably be fined for daring to speak the truth

Reply #442530 | Report this post

Jackie  
Years ago

Joey won't get fined. Truth is an absolute defence and NBL has said coaches CAN speak their minds, so long as they don't impune the integrity of the officials. He didn't do that.

Reply #442531 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

So, if NZ swings this after that debacle and BJ getting unfairly dumped it could be quite the controversy...

Reply #442532 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

Cheers lads!

Reply #442533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vukona's mentally shot now that he can't get away with blue murder anymore.

Was always hyped up beyond his station, good role player though.

Reply #442534 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

NZ won't go near winning this game. Vukona is too important plus they have only two big men.

Reply #442535 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joey will get a fine for that, but so be it. Got a tech of his own earlier, I think, or it might've been on the bench. Whatever works. During the half-time warm ups, they've just shown Joey talking with a ref. Seems calmer now...

Anthony getting ejected for what he did, based on the footage I could see, seems too much. Mika deserved at least an USF but I guess technically gets tossed for managing to rack up two of them?

Poor BJ had a quick chat to his dad (I think) in the stands on his way to the locker room. Shame he didn't get to see him play a full game.

Mika's not just a role player, he's a backbone of a team. Boucher was similar.

Reply #442536 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

" so long as they don't impune the integrity of the officials. He didn't do that."

No, the officials did a pretty good job of that themselves!

What are peoples thoughts on New Zealand? We probably got lucky with Wilkinson having to adjust from his old style of playing with a lot of body contact to the new rules but the rest of the team doesn't look anywhere near as fluent or confident as they were under Lemanis. I wonder if Lemanis moved on at the best time or if Vickerman is struggling to gain the players full respect.

Reply #442537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I liked brawler Henare being asked to comment on the ejection of brawler Vukona. Hah.

Sixers out 59-37 and Vickerman calls time out. Wishing I'd bet after all.

Reply #442541 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Abercrombie is apparently in foul trouble.

Gibbo & Ervin - 11 points each.
DJ - 8

Adelaide hit 14/19 @ 63% in the first half.

Second half is underway.

Reply #442543 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

If Abercrombie goes then they may as well forfeit.

Reply #442547 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Te Rangi has hit 3 triples for the Breakers to bring the score to 63-48 about half way through the third.

Reply #442548 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ah but young Mr Cadee comes on and hits a 3 of his own. Now its 66-54.

Reply #442550 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I'll laugh if Te Rangi basically wins this single-handed.

Reply #442551 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

We need to stop Te Rangi (wasn't he in Footrot Flats?). Its now 66-59.

Reply #442552 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I hardly need to mention you guys were 20+ up, right? Need to get out of this drought.

Reply #442553 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

68-62 after a Wilkinson triple.

We've got to stop this comeback by the Breakers.

Reply #442554 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Reuban TeRangi is athletic & can shoot the 3.

Reply #442555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you imagine the nba live stats stuffed up for even one day. People would lose jobs but because it's a z standard league no one cares and the nbl moves on. Not everyone can be bothered watching an unskilled league. Some people want to just check the stats every half hour or so.

Reply #442556 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

NZ have outscored us by 9 this period by basically hitting 3 after 3.

Creek and Frye both score to keep the 36ers in the lead 71-66 with one period left.

Reply #442557 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Hold strong 6ers, nothing better than beating NZ in NZ. Breakers lose this and the wheels are just about fallen off!

Reply #442558 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

A win should get more out for Sunday's game. C'mon Sixers!

Reply #442560 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Adelaide must get back on their scoring bike, droughts kill.

Reply #442561 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Score?

Reply #442562 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Breakers have tied it up at 81-81.

Reply #442563 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Anyone other than BJ + Vukona out of the game?

Reply #442564 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

C'mon Sixers!!!!

Reply #442565 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Lots falling for NZ. Refs letting some contact go at either end when players penetrate.

5 mins left.

Reply #442566 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Gonna have to follow the momentum here, say NZ take it.

Tell you what, though, if they need someone to shoot the 3 to win it, I know who NZ will be giving the ball to; Te Rangi is a monster out there.

Reply #442567 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Thats why you pay Ervin!!!!

Reply #442568 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sixers seem to be making a conscious effort to not give up fouls in the paint. Trying to avoid foul trouble, I assume.

Reply #442569 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Peach and Ervin hit triples to get the lead back. 89-87.

Reply #442570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GE Money showing why he gets paid the big bucks!

Reply #442571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1.53 to go, adl by 1. 89-88

Reply #442572 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Ervin hits again. 91-87

Ervin has 22 points and 7 assists (I think).

Reply #442573 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Oh yeah, definitely sitting down to watch this tonight

Reply #442574 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Peach with a put back and then a follow through and steal. Adelaide up 95-90 with 38 seconds left. DJ is at the FT line.

Reply #442575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No live stats.

and when I go to www.nbl.tv it gives me a 404 error.

NBL ffs lift your game

Reply #442576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://firstrownow.eu/watch/218004/1/watch-new-zealand-vs-adelaide-36ers-.html

Reply #442577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

score? final?

Reply #442578 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

36ers won!!!!!

Reply #442579 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

96-93 win.

Reply #442580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks for the link to firstrow!

93-96 to sixers

Reply #442581 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

congrats to the sixers, and in the spirit of hoops.com .........sack dean?

Reply #442582 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

36ers win 96-93!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TeRangi went for a 3 at the death but was stripped by Ervin.

Reply #442583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers win 96-93, pathetic but typical last shot taken by Breakers haha!

Sack Vickerman!

Reply #442584 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

wow!!

thats awesome!! be close to 6k on sunday now!

Reply #442585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1-4 stick a fork in them, Mystro!

Reply #442586 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Nice win Sixers. I'm happy to have tipped wrong on the one.

Reply #442587 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Sounds like we overcame the dodgy reffing for once over there.... something must be done!

Reply #442588 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Quoting myself from earlier...
"Tell you what, though, if they need someone to shoot the 3 to win it, I know who NZ will be giving the ball to; Te Rangi is a monster out there."

Oh irony.

Reply #442589 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Held strong at the end. Had our furious scoring at the start, then they had their run. A rare win in NZ!

Reply #442590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice to have another win. hopefully can go onto win sundays matchup with the kings.

would be nice to see wildcats lose a few now

Reply #442591 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

Did Vickerman draw up a play for the final possession? Kerron Johnson looked lost.

Reply #442592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey...what ever happened to MC?
Not on tis year? That's a shame.

Reply #442593 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That last play from NZ was reminiscent of the 36ers final possession against the Taipans last season.

Reply #442594 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Good win, last year we would have collapsed!

Great D by Creek and I think Gibson in the last play.
Frye had a really good game but I really think he is holding something back and has more to offer, he gets to the ring anytime he tries and his finishing 10ft from the basket is insane. Also a great player for Creek to play with and develop with. I just wonder if he can really step up and dominate the league.

I dont know why Schensher didnt play many minutes in the second half?? Johnson is a horrible defender and really did nothing in the second half except left Pledger score on him. While Petrie does a good job at centre I dont understand the logic of not playing Schensher, was he injured?

Reply #442595 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Anon2591,

No it would not! *knock wood*

Reply #442596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did Vickerman draw up a play for the final possession? Kerron Johnson looked lost."

How pathetic. Typical NBL last shot where it is a pure mess.

Reply #442597 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

does that win silence a few doubters for now?

or is it "just-another-team-beating-NZ" noting they lost to the crocs and the taipans...?

Reply #442598 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ dug a huge hole and the the Sixers almost choked on it but did enough to cling to the win.
The Breakers probably couldn't have played any worse in that first half and were complete disorganized rabble at both ends.
There defensive mindset was the matador approach and then offensively they mucked around,picked up their dribble and then put up a shitty shot.
It was only some hot outside shooting and then the Sixers coughing the ball up frequently that made it look like NZ had a shot to win.

Pledger played great as did Frye and Ervin looked great when he was being aggressive offensively going at the rim or punishing Johnson every time he ducked under the screen.

Reply #442599 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Bizarre game, really. Hard to know what conclusions to draw; I was hoping for something a wee bit more decisive!

Reply #442600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Omg i just messed myself, great win.

Reply #442601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brilliant switching D on that last play by Adelaide, covered the three-point line to perfection.

Reply #442602 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Big win. Don't like 36ers or NZ but want an Australian team to win this year (not Perth either).

Reply #442603 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@ NBL Fan,

The complete inability of the rest of Australia to get behind our crusade to restore the NBL Championship to the West Island is very disheartening.

We're doing this for you guys.

Also, glory and bragging rights, but also for you guys.

Reply #442604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't a lot of Perfians want to secede from the rest of Australia?

Reply #442605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOt so easy is it Deano.

Reply #442606 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Observations:

- Te Rangi broke out tonight. More problems for Vickerman in working out exactly how to split mins at SF now.

- Abercrombie is overrated and needs to adjust to the officiating quicksmart

- Wilko a bit rusty
- You can tell the Breakers have only just started developing a zone defence as they were terrible with it in the first quarter ( Gibbo went nuts)

- Ervin is a special player and the 36ers have a good level of confidence/a good dose of cockiness which you need to win (Frye, BJ, Wright)

- Cadee seems a bit redundant to me -- everything he does is covered by Ervin/Gibson

- The team culture is different...if a Mika situation happened under Clarke's reign, I dont think you would have seen a teammate stand up and defend their teammate

- Vickerman is behind the 8 ball. With younger players and less leadership out there he needs to have greater control over this group.The 'leave it to the players' style under Lemanis does not work with this group

-Disappointing crowd (3100) and over-reactive refs in relation to that incident

-

Reply #442607 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

The refs were a joke, a very bad joke.

Reply #442609 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

How are there so many posts about this? I don't even

Reply #442610 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

eerily similar game but roles reversed...

as the first time they met back in 2003...

big lead, big comeback, won with free throws... unable to get a paly at the death...

it is halloween afterall.......... ;)

Reply #442611 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

wow Sixers shot at 61% from the field. They got to be very happy with that. Also CJ shot no 3's which is strange to see.

Reply #442613 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Can't wait to watch the Vukona-BJ ejection.

Ye of little faith: Go Sixers!!

Reply #442615 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Some observations
- Breakers defence was absolutely pathetic - especially their zone.
- Reuben Te Rangi can play and Pledger was quite good.
- Agree with MACDUB on Vickermanns style
- Breakers are in a bit of trouble at 1 - 4, especially given I'm not confidence they'll beat Wollongong on the road
- Ervin is a gun
- Adelaide would've choked that game last year. The culture is different under Wright. Good to see him being passionate that halftime interview was the best.

Reply #442616 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Fantastic!

I think we had better ban the Silver Fox from away games:

Perth: L - in the crowd
Cairns: W - stayed at home
Melb: L - in the crowd
NZB: W - stayed at home

Reply #442617 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Also Adelaide need another shooter too. Frye and Ervin can penetrate at will. Shooter would be more useful than Cadee

Reply #442618 | Report this post

Titan 49  
Years ago

Loving the fact that our wins this year have showed A LOT of character. Have been super impressed - maybe it's because the last few seasons have been so terrible that make it stand out so much more.

The Hawks game at home was great. They were hitting the 3 ball at a high clip in the first half. We battled away and remained in the game during the first half and then pulled away with a GREAT win.

The Cairns win was incredible. Coming from behind (by a considerable margin) not once, but twice was super impressive. I don't think we have seen ANYTHING like that over the last few seasons.

And just now the NZ game where we held a pretty comfortable lead, NZ got back to within 1 (from memory I think it was 89-88) but held on strong to win our second game on the road.

4 of our first 5 games on the road, and we've won 2 of them, nearly beat Perth over there. That leaves 1 'bad' game in Melbourne out of the 4 away games. Such a great start to the season, and with some home games coming up, we should be able to position ourselves nicely in the top 3.

Reply #442626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Titan, am also impressed and happy with the start, if we beat the kings at home we are ahead of par, i never thought we would go to NZ and win!

Reply #442627 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Note to commentators. A "dagger" is not just a 3 point shot. It is a scoring shot that ends the other team's hopes of winning the game by extending the margin beyond their reach in the time remaining.

Thank you.

Reply #442629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Titan 49, the Breakers took the lead in the 4th.

Reply #442630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti called it:

REINSTATING dual-championship-winning import Gary Wilkinson to the lineup will have the Breakers pumped at home and feeling good about their 15-game win streak over Adelaide. I think the last time the 36ers won in NZ was before Kristina Keneally was NSW Premier! Sixers, in a shock.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/rankings-4--and-not-much/

Reply #442631 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

3,100 there tonight, and that follows 3,700 the previous week. Talk about fickle! The NZers are really quick to jump off the bandwagon when they lose a few games.

Maybe its time to move to Vector permanently. Cant see fans returning to NSEC in good numbers after seeing a few games at Vector. The difference between the two venues is too great and NSEC is just plain crap!

Reply #442644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the capacity of NSEC?

Reply #442648 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

4,000 I believe.

Reply #442649 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Macdub, to say under previous coaches that the players wouldn't have stood up for each other is just plain crap. Sorry, but that is beyond stupid especially when it was happening most games last season due to our more physical plays by Peach for example.

Awesome win though and looking forward to Sunday and seeing the 6ers enter playoff contention

Reply #442650 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

NSEC capacity of 4500, so well off that mark.

Ricey, I can understand in the past some teammates would have said something/reacted unhappily, but I honestly don't think any one would have genuinely stood up in the way Anthony did. (I think it shows the bond of the team that BJ would do that to someone who is an ex-teammate and probably a good friend)

Reply #442657 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Have to agree with you Macdub although Ricey isnt incorrect either.
This Sixers team will get physical if needed, we saw Creek get up in Demos grill the other week when he hit Cadee pretty hard and then this week with BJ against Vukona....
Just on that....who would you have money on between BJ & Vukona?

Reply #442667 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Ummmm are you forgetting Peach and Goulding last year? Seriously, you're just talking rubbish.

Reply #442670 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Actually they only got about 3500 the previous week, and that was against the Wildcats. Pretty disappointing when the reiging champions are getting only a few hundred more than Townsville (apart from their season opener at Vector)

Did they not know that their favourite knob, Wilkinson was returning to the team,, which would have got a bit more interest from the public? ;)

I believe the capacity is 4500.

Reply #442672 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Calm down ricey was just an observation.

Not so much the scuffle itself, but the situation: the fact that Anthony did it straight after he watched his teammate get stupidly fouled in the air.

From memory, the Goulding and Petrie stuff was just a little thing between them (Goulding was actually sticking up for Walker who had been fouled from memory).

Anyway, happy that I put $30 on the Sixers when they were paying $3.30.
Will pay for me groceries this week.

No way the Breakers should have been so heavily favoured by the bookies last night. Yes the 36ers hadn't won there for a while and had lost many past encounters. But this is a completely different 36ers team as well as a completely different Breakers team. Changing of the guard.

Reply #442673 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

On a side-note.

Kerron Johnson, lets talk about him.

He probably deserves a lot more praise than he has been getting.

17.4ppg at a ridiculous 75% from the field (27-36!!)

To go along with 8/17 from the 3 (47 %)

Assist to TO ratio of 4.1 (5apg vs. 1.2topg)

Reply #442674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And yet he didn't back himself from three early in the game. Would've been a chance to set the agenda early as Cairns did.

Reply #442677 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

I did like the commentators bringing up Johnson's low TO rate just as he coughed it up.

Reply #442681 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Commentator's curse is a terrible thing.

Reply #442686 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Ricey...I was not forgetting that 1 incident but prior to that it was pretty much non existent.

Reply #442688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bj wasn't sticking up for his teammate - more trying to prove he was the man against an old one.

I have always loved bj - but last nite he was a dick.

It probably wasn't on tv. But earlier he walked in to cj at the end of one of the quarters. They were both walking back to their respective benches and bj just bowled over cj.

Yes bj, you are bigger than cj. What are you trying to prove? That you are stupid?

Vukona first wasn't unsportsmanlike, just back pedaling and going for a lob - he doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.

Bj was the aggressor and vukona retaliated.

Reply #442730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tim brown (ref) has had 6 poor quarters out of the last 8. The last two quarters last nite was much better.

Reply #442731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL have admitted ejecting BJ was wrong:

THE NBL will issue Adelaide 36ers coach Joey Wright a "please explain" notice though it today admitted its officiating panel had erred in ejecting BJ Anthony from Thursday's game.

Wright is sure to hear from the NBL but in light of the league today issuing a press release supporting the officials "got it wrong" it is unlikely to lead to a fine or even reprimand.

The NBL this season loosened its rules on coaches speaking about officiating, as long as none of the comments were deemed to impune the integrity of the officials.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/bj-anthony-ejection-was-wrong-but-36ers-coach-joey-wright-may-still-have-a-please-explain-notice-from-nbl/story-fnii09ki-1226751348897

Reply #442732 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If you think Mika Vukona was purposely trying to injure Mitch Creek with that unsportsmanlike foul you are an idiot.
Sure it was a dumb foul and he got ejected for it but he does not go out of his way to injure people. He has played in this league for how long and how many people has he purposely injured?

There is a big difference between being physical and being dirty.

The only people from NZ who cried over the Crawford/Abercrombie incident were idiots who have never played Basketball. Crawford went for the ball, got some body and fouled him and he hurt himself, unfortunate but not deliberate.

Mika's was worse and luckily Creek is ok but I seriously doubt he went at him thinking "I'll f*#k him up bro".

Reply #442733 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great the league have admitted the Refs got it wrong, not that anyone was in doubt about BJ's ejection.

Reply #442734 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He wasn't purposely trying to injure him but it was a very crude attempt at stopping the play, which involved a player in mid-air. Recipe for disaster.

Reply #442735 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bj was the aggressor and vukona retaliated
Vukona then pursued him to continue things after BJ was pulled away. Didn't help his cause.

Reply #442741 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Vukona was 'back-pedalling' while running forwards, apparently.

Reply #442743 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Go and fix NB effing L livestats, what a ragtime show that is, instead of wasting time about Joey Wright and the wrong decision to eject BJ. TV news look and see that the game hasn't started. You lost credibilaty . Maybe have livestats in a coupla months.

Reply #442748 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It's a good thing I'm a moderate man.

Reply #442749 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO, I dont see how that couldnt have been an unsportsmanlike.

It was dangerous and he didnt have eyes for the ball. I saw on stuff.co.nz that Vickerman said that no way that should have been an unsportsmanlike but that they were correct on the unsportsmanlike foul from the tussle

I dont know how he arrived at that decision. If you think that wasnt worthy of an unsportsmanlike (the mid air contact) then you probably need your eyes fixed.

Sure Vukona never meant to do..doesn't take away from it been a very dangerous play

Reply #442750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSEC capacity for Breakers is 4000.

Reply #442751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - I agree entirely

The situation - vukona had his eyes on the ball. The only way he could have seen Mitch creek was with eyes in the back of his head.

Reply #442752 | Report this post

Rhea 92  
Years ago

is there any way of seeing any match highlights? or even the ejections/unsportsman like foul??

Reply #442759 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I couldn't believe that half way through the game my prediction of a 36ers by 16 was looking very plausible and other than DJ not being dominant it was going to script with Vukona and Abercrombie in foul trouble early

Was a greatly fun game to watch from a neutral supporter and glad Creek wasn't badly injured by Vukona.

Couldn't believe the tech on Joey!!!

Reply #442778 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

@ Macdub or Mystro

I know this is reactionary due to Te Rangi's breakout game but do you think he should start ahead of Abercrombie and play the first 3 minutes before injecting Abercrombie when the precedent on calls are worked out so that Abercrombie isn't in early foul trouble and you'd still give the minutes that they both deserve?

As for Vickerman saying Vukona's foul wasn't unsportsmanlike then sack the moron now, no way he would accept that at training and I'm looking forward to December 6 so I can boo him out of Perth Arena (if he lasts that long)

Reply #442786 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Vickerman isn't going to get sacked, he gets to blame 6 imports before that happens.
TeRangi was always going to be pilfering Abercrombies minutes as the season went on but 1 game isn't enough to warrant a complete rejig and throw him to the lions as a starter IMO.
Let him develop at his own pace but I would def be rewarding that performance with some more minutes and throwing him out there a bit earlier than he (Vickerman) has been.

Reply #442798 | Report this post

Fm  
Years ago

Tell Ng to start getting fit to play NBL again. Ng for cadee. Just when the defence is starting to recover on the penetrate, you rain hell

Reply #442817 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Daly, assits and creates own shot...... Knows the team and players, player last year.......

Reply #442818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Rhea, match highlights are on the homepage of the nbl website along with all other games.

Reply #442833 | Report this post

Bill Gates  
Years ago

the wildcats will play either cairns or Adelaide for the title this year

Reply #442834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^
nbl.tv website

Reply #442835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7su-Eq-aM

Reply #442875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"the wildcats will play either cairns or Adelaide for the title this year"

No way Cairns they are pathetic. Perth-Adelaide for the title about time this matchup was in a Grand Final imo.

Reply #442951 | Report this post

Conjugal  
Years ago

This thread needed its 200th post

Reply #443024 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754