LC
Years ago

Most underrated draft prospect: Dante Exum

From ESPN Insider:

Most underrated draft prospect: Dante Exum | Australia

Exum Who? He might not be a household name like Andrew Wiggins or Jabari Parker, but Exum could be the top overall pick in 2014 anyway. The 19-year-old Aussie hasn't graduated high school yet (he'll get his diploma in Australia by November), but he remains 50-50 on bypassing the college route to stay in the 2014 draft. Though he likely won't benefit from the hype that comes with playing in the NCAA, that could also work in his favor.The 6-foot-6, lightning-quick point guard ranks No. 3 on Chad Ford's Big Board and could move up into the top slot if he crushes next summer's workouts like he did at FIBA U-19 this past summer. Think Derrick Rose or John Wall -- but taller. Keep an eye on Exum.

Some serious kudos right there!

Topic #32991 | Report this topic

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

How is it possible to be underrated if the NBA's mock draft has you at four?

Reply #442538 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maybe the message is don't be surprised if he goes #1

Reply #442559 | Report this post

jimmy needles  
Years ago

I didn't realise he thinking about negating college? Hopefully that's not the case.

Reply #442614 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

He is not going to college...

Reply #442619 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

No one is getting drafted before Wiggins

Reply #442620 | Report this post

Anonas  
Years ago

while we feel that Dante Exum is being manage correctly but we dont want the kid to get push much too soon. No doubt he's very talented but they should slow down on advertising him.

We wish him all the best. Another future Aussie pride!

Reply #442622 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Only seen him play in the limited time on the Boomers, is he really a 1? i seem to think of him as a ball handling 2.

Reply #442628 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

I have certainly never thought of him as a PG. Seems a very capable ball handler, but the mentality needed for that spot doesn't match his strengths IMO.

Reply #442633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wondering why there should be less "advertising" of him?

If hes as good as people are saying shouldn't we be proud of him and be glad people are noticing another great Aussie prospect?

Reply #442638 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Jabari Parker will surprise people and he may even get the number one pick come decision time. Parker=LeBron, Wiggins=Melo. Wiggins' cockiness and ego may prove his undoing (in terms of the number one pick).

Reply #442640 | Report this post

Damooo  
Years ago

I think the "Think Derrick Rose or John Wall, but taller" statement is just ludicrous.

Derrick Rose has the vertical explosiveness that Exum could only dream of having, not too mention is much quicker.

I love Exum, but am keeping grounded with my expectations, as he still has a long way to go.

I'd love nothing more than to see Exum really kill it any workouts and solidify a top 5 draft selection in a potentially historically strong draft. I'd be a very proud Aussie! (which I am already).

I really don't think he'll go to college though, as at the current pace, he's projected probably around picks 3-6 (which with the strength of Wiggins, Parker and Randle, can barely really be improved upon), however if he disappointed in college, there would be the potential to slide big-time.

Reply #442647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be crazy of him to go to college. Nothing can be done to improve your stock once you are top 5. The college game would just put his flaws on display and lower his stock. The kid is a great athlete and can drive to the hole with the best of them, but he can't shoot jumpers from 15 feet, much less 3's. He's a poor free throw shooter as well. Better to enter the draft as a hyped unknown.

Reply #442651 | Report this post

reggie  
Years ago

He is lightning quick .. I don't think he'd be too much slower than rose/wall

Reply #442654 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Exum is explosive, but in a different way to Rose/Wall.

I don't think he is as explosive.

He can get from Point A to Point B damn quick, but he does so through his length (gliding manner). He doesn't have the leg speed of a Rose/Wall.

Certainly, his vertical jump will not be as high as a Rose/Wall.

I feel as though Exum is not a natural 1, but kept leaning towards that position because it has garnered him attention and turns heads. 6"6 PG sounds better than 6"6 SG.

With that been said, becoming an NBA PG will be hard work but certainly he is capable.
He can run the pick and roll and his handle is tight.

Can't wait to see Michael-Carter Williams vs. Exum ;) Battle of the lengths (that does sound wrong)

Reply #442658 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

He has got 12 months to go out and engage the best shooting coach or coahces around to perfect his stroke so come workout time he can have a more fluid and consistant jumper....if he does that & adds some strengh..he is a top 3 lock then just depends on other giys college seasons

Reply #442660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok so he goes in next years draft - what does he do between now and then to improve his game ? Should have played in the nbl this season?

Reply #442663 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Are we all forgetting he's 18 come the draft. That's making him more valuable than anyone else purely based on that. He has a few years once drafted until he's the same age as some others, and by then will be beyond where they were at that point of their life. He will go in the draft. Would be silly not to. Also there's a chance he will still grow another inch or 2 if we're lucky, and his explosiveness and shot can only improve, especially in an NBA offseason!

Reply #442669 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Ricey, Dante is the same age as Wiggins, Parker and most other top prospects except Randle and the Harrison twins so i don't think age is going to matter.

Reply #442685 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

weird that he keeps getting pushed as a 1 when he has no pg skills. Maybe to hide his lack of shot? No one wants to draft a 2 that cant shoot...

Reply #442694 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

Westbrook played sg at UCLA, i've read alot of reports where scouts think he can make the same transition.

Reply #442699 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

When Exum played USA at the u/19 Worlds, he was injured right? Something with his foot wasn't it?

Just wondering why he only played 11 mins and took one shot against them.

Reply #442708 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Ah. Well played. Figured others where older, but regardless at his age things will get better, and others could level out where they are, but same could be said for him however I think he has a bit more of a chance to improve physically. Coming from AIS it also helps that he's ready for the next step in regards to media, attention, professionalism in general, etc etc.

Reply #442720 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see if he would take an NBL contract in the meantime or just not risk the chance of an injury. Think an injury would be his only real concern leading up to the draft. If he gets hurt then he is a lock for college

Reply #442722 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ricey is on the money!

Reply #442738 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:21 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754