Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers v Kings Sun 3rd

Well Poindexters, what an exciting game this will be. Sixers with a great win in Auckland during the week go toe to toe with our good friends from Sydney.

Sixers are undefeated at home so far this season and the Kings are yet to win on the road. Ogilvy for The Kings has been carving up, but will face a wall on Sunday. Does Harvey age? Hill is probably playing the best basketball he has played, but Benny Madgen would be disappointed with himself only shooting 20% from the field. Let's hope that shooting % improves.....in about a week's time, after mum's done his washing.

Joey will be tested on Sunday too. While Shane Heal may be hated by Sixers fans, one thing he does do well is punch above his weight and has made many silk purses out of many pig's ears. While the Sixers should wrap this one up, any lapse in concentration from Joey or KB will be taken advantage of like a solar panel salesman and a pensioner.

Don't forget the double header with the Lightning v Waves.

Sixers should be able to let Doyle have a run with Teys in the fourth.

Topic #32999 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a great game, good crowd given its both the women and men, and we are coming off an away win which tends to speak more volumes than home wins as they are harder obviously to get the W.

Sydney playin tonight also suggests they have less recovery time so game 24 hours later and a flight here is a small bonus.

Sixers by 6

Reply #442714 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think a crowd of 6,000 might be considered a disappointing crowd. Let's fill it to the brim!

Reply #442715 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Anything less than a win will be a poor result. Sixers by 11.

Reply #442716 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You'd have to pick the Sixers here.

Reply #442728 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, no real excuse for a loss. If we can hold on for those road wins, the home court should be a fortress.

Reply #442742 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

36ers by 10

Reply #442773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixes by 16

Reply #442918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget this game is on Channel 10!

Reply #442921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How in hell can Sydney Kings win a game when they can't hit an open fast break lay-up under no pressure at all?

Oh, that's right, they make their own pressure!

Reply #442929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Note to the coaches of the Sydney Kings, you had the chance to take high scoring imports like the Supercats play makers Mike Mercer or Theron Wilson, or you guys could have gone for Eric Williams who played the season for Corio Bay, but you didn't, so here you are losers!

Reply #442930 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Would they fit in the meagre salary cap the Kings have and still leave room for a TEAM?

Reply #442938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenshcer is a retard! And also WTF is with Ervin he shot poorly until the end as he kept driving to the hoop against three defenders.

Imagine the margin if Schenscher Ervin Frye had good games.

Joey isn't a fan of bigs and wouldn't mind if he benched Schenscher again like he has in previous weeks. When does his contract end as I can't stand the red headed clown. He also needs to bulk up but in the NBL mediocrity rules and you can get away with being lazy he is so skinny and gets pushed out too easily. At least if you aren't confident flush the ball down for a dunk yet all he does is throw up poor shots without even elevating. Disgraceful.

Reply #442944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please have the direct links to FIBALiveStats back as the integrated version via NBL.com.au is a mess and during both games today would reset to 0-0. NBL are only doing this so at the end of the year they can quote that they had a huge increase in page clicks on their website. How about looking after the fans.

Does anyone know how to obtain the links to the direct stats so we can circumvent the poorly integrated stats on nbl.com.au? Also FIBALiveStats has more info like referees and crowd attendance etc. Far superior.

Reply #442952 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Wish I had a dollar for everytime Ervin drove to the basket and then ran out of ideas. Probably at least could've bought myself a hot dog and a super dry. Then again maybe not.

Reply #442953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

smoovy yep it was painful. Ervin doesn't seem as good as when he won MVP at Wollongong. Shame.

Reply #442954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon we were watching different games. The 6ers looked much better and balnced on both ends when Luke was in. And check the score ratios, when he was in, they dominated on the score board... you 'retard'.

Reply #442956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4.5K at the game this arvo. Why were so many on here hyping up a 6K crowd since the NBL has low media attention so if there are bandwagon fans they will come much later in the season.

Reply #442957 | Report this post

Deimos 77  
Years ago

Big Red will always be frustrating but not as bad as Ervin today. It looked like he was trying way too hard and forcing it. Frye was a ghost.

Reply #442958 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Good game and win. Least crowd has something to get excited about .

Crowd was down a bit but that is sunday afternoon .
Oglivy and import 00 won't try and spell name only ones kept them in game with a 3 pointer now and again by Magden.
No wonder Hill used to frustrate Sixer supporters.
After missing last season was great not to see that clown on the sidelines and a real actual coach that let them play .
Creek -- great game both in D and attack and has added lot to his game.

DJ -- Got us going and real scoring threat but not close to competing with Oglivy

Petrie -- great all round game and some good D but Oglivy took him to cleaners a few times.

BJ -- For a number 8-9 player really offer some grunt and can score -- great pick up.

Ervin -- Very quick and finished game off well but lost a strong lead for us with selfish drive to baskets that were well and truly covered and coughed the ball up on regular basis . And Kings PG did whatever he wanted and eRvin and Gibson had no answers although Creek helped out.

Gibson -- Ok game with some timely points but D very average and spends too much time waving hands around then turns ball over .
Glad we have but struggle to see how in Aust. team.

Cadee --- Non event

Frye -- Had a day to forget.

Yep we have a lot to look forward to but still some work to do.
But good to get passionate about my team again.

Reply #442959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice to have another win. was pretty happy with mitch's game. however these unsportsmanlike fouls have me not comprehending too well.

Its called a foul on petrie, sure thing. then sydneys big comes in and remonstrates. then it becomes two unsportsmanlike fouls along with a further original call. how does we cop an unsportsmanlike foul, if the remonstrator begins the push n shove. the call was never changed from foul to unsportsmanlike.

must be missing something.

good to see also refs looking after heal. no tech, just pat his ass next time McDonald.

Reply #442960 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Oops missed out on big Red
Least knows how to defend a bit but offered something around ring .
Yes gets in a tangle now and again.

Reply #442961 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Ervin has about 10 moves as he goes to the basket, unfortunately the net result is that he just goes in a straight line.

I somewhat agree with Anon on Schenscher. I don't think I've seen him get more than 6 inches off the ground. Then again the red hair allows him to stand out when he's got a good seal. Swings and roundabouts.

Reply #442962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good crowd at the game 6,136

Reply #442965 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Think Ervin just forced it too much. Really wanted the lob to Mitch after his chase down block, you could see he was ready for it. The thing I like is we have not had a game yet where everyone is on their game and we are still finding ways to win, that's a good sign.

Reply #442966 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Ogilvy is huge. They would give up over 110 points every single game if he wasn't there defending the middle. We had no answer for him at all most of the night, but the first quarter especially.

Carmouche had a nice weekend, 33 on Friday, 27 today. Doesn't add much more other than scoring, but he's been doing that well.

Sanders looks like a 9th man out there, not an import. Really doesn't do anything overly well.

Creek had a big game in every way. Deserves 30+ minutes the way he's playing this season, but our stacked line-up means we'll probably keep seeing him with low 20s. But he sure makes his minutes count. That chase down block was huge.

Ervin was a mixed bag. His stat line probably flatters him a bit. Went alone on too many occasions. Probably tried to do too much. But in saying that, he also did some very good things too. 7 assists surprised me, probably got a few at the end there.

Peach vs Ogilvy was a fun contest to watch. Clearly outsized and probably outskilled too, but Peach battled hard. Liked his game today.

DJ was actually good on both ends today. Seems to have worked on his defense, still got a ways to go, but he's getting better. 20 and 8 with 3 steals is a good game any day.

Frye wasn't getting the lanes he's used to today and had foul trouble. Didn't get much from him, but Creek filled the 'import' role today.

Gibson was patchy. Hard to rate his game. Wasn't bad, but wasn't particularly good either.

Probably Schenscher's best game of the season. Rebounding was good, finishing at the rim generally quite good, probably about as good as you can ask for from 18 mins.

BJ never looks out of place on the court. Just goes to work, no nonsense.

The fact that that's probably Cadee's best stat line of the season is a bit of a worry. Doesn't really have a defined role this year. Worth persisting with as he's a talented young player, but Joey needs to find a job for him. Not entirely sure what that would be though.

Teys made a 3 and looked ok. Anything he does is a bonus.

Sitting comfortably in second place on the ladder. Big game coming on Friday against Melbourne. Win that and it will be huge. Drop it and we'll fall back to the pack.

Reply #442970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First foul on petrie then was a usf given to 17 adel @ sydneys 14

Reply #442977 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Will be surprised if Sanders lasts the season. Only thing he does good is Rebound. Doesn't really do anything crap but doesn't do anything either.

Reply #442983 | Report this post

Lalalala  
Years ago

Good call on the USF, Petrie was obviously holding then after the whistle swung him to the ground then number 14 from Sydney (3rd man in). I'm a sixers fan and the refs got it right... Thought they all did pretty well today. Incuding Benn mac.

Reply #442985 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

From last couple of games, I thought the way Big Luke was playing he would be lucky to get on court and didn't seem to fit Joeys system. But today the team looked way better with him on the court. His height really stopped the Kings getting to the rim, considering all the layups and o.boards they got in the first quarter. Sure he misses the odd thing, but his smarts need to be utilised.
Noticed one play in the 2nd qtr when he moved out of key at precisely the right time to open it up to allow his team mate to drive to rim.
Anon944, I must of been watching a replay of Schensh if you think he was crap today.
@Hendo888, I totally agree with you about Creek. I think if he could play a dozen games of 30+ mins he will find his place in the league and flourish. Need to get the minutes into him and fast.
I think if Ervin can give that ball up a bit more as he goes to the rim he will look so much better and those laneways will then just open up for him.
Thought crowd was okay for Sunday arvo game. Looking forward to a big crowd to make some noise Friday against the old foe.

Reply #442993 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Gibbo needs to stop shoving and bumping people in the keyway. Refs are gonna pick him up everytime now they know that he does it.

Reply #442994 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

Lalala, I had a slightly different call than you with regard to the Petrie/Ogilvie incident. Petrie was called for the holding foul and when Ogilvie wouldn't let him go Petrie threw him to the ground and a minor fracas evolved. The refs apart from getting the initial foul wrong made the right calls for what followed.

Why is it that some players are permitted to "get away" with some infringements that others are not. I know that Ogilvie is a very good player but why is he allowed to make defensive contact with an attacking player with his arms at 45 degrees. Push with his arm on the hip moving his opposing player off line when he is attacking the basket and to set a moving screen with enough impact to knock the opposition player to the floor. To add insult to injury Mitch Creek was called foe a holding foul when he instinctively grabbed Ogilvy's arm as he fell to the floor.

The refereeing was generally acceptable but I would advise Jarrod to shake their hands a little more meekly before the game. I'm making the assumption that he may have hurt the little petals given the way he was treated by them during the game.

All in all it was a good game to watch and a great improvement on what we have had to endure over the past 4 to 5 years. Gary Ervin, as a shoot first style of point guard, does cause concern on occasions and he can also get a bit too excited at times and the game turns into a turnover fest but you can't be too critical while he makes the winning plays in crunch time.

Reply #443010 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

Had Ervin made a couple more of the difficult, but makeable layups I think the majority of you would have a different opinion. His aggressiveness forces defenders and referees to make split-second decisions in transition which often makes up for the lack of creativity in his moves, just not today.

If Joey had an issue with this I doubt he'd let it slide.

Reply #443017 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

the issue I have with Ervin is when he penetrates to the rim into 3 defenders, anyone that can do maths knows that means 2 of our other players are free and could possibly have an open shot he should be looking to pass in that instance. But other than that i'm happy with the way he plays

Reply #443026 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Carmouche is an absolute freak !

Ogilvy's only problem is he is wearing the wring jersey. He was the best man on court today. Made the Sixers look like they were amateurs. He was harder to control than a Taliban bomber with an itchy trigger finger.

If Ogilvy doesn't feature in the first 5 at the end of the season, brown paper bags have changed hands.

Reply #443027 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

Interesting comparison you went with re: Ogilvy, Jack...

Reply #443039 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

In a way I kinda feel for Jason Cadee. The situation he's in now is pretty much the same one he found himself in when he was with Joey Wright at the Blaze.

Up on the Gold Coast he was the 3rd guard behind Gibbo and Goulding. Then the Blaze folded, he and Gibbo signed with Adelaide and Cadee became a starter. Then (thankfully) Marty Clarke got the boot, but Cadee must have cringed a bit when the 36ers signed Wright as coach. He probably cringed more when Ervin was signed knowing that with Gibbo and Ervin he was most likely going to be the 3rd guard again. Now like at the GC, he doesn't really have a defined role this year and its showing in his general play, which is reflected in his stats.

Joey Wright was the correct choice of coach for the 36ers after the last few seasons, of that there isn't any doubt. But for Jason Cadee I don't know if it was right or not. Time will tell.

Reply #443041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cadee would get minutes if he played well enough to earn them. Feel like he's flatlined a bit. If he hit the three, I think it would really lift his game.

Reply #443044 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Cadee makes too many passes too late.

AJ Ogilvy has got fantastic footwork and took DJ to the cleaners, but gets way too much protection from the refs. Definitely a referees favourite.

Reply #443059 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Agreed, Cadee hasn't done enough so far this season to earn many more minutes, and I doubt Joey will give them out for free.

All Mungo needs is a couple of good games and his confidence will return.

Reply #443060 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

TBH the guy I've been most impressed with so far this season is Mitch Creek.

We all knew he was a gun who was badly underused by Clarke. And after coming back from injury I honestly thought Joey Wright would ease him back into it and that he'd play second fiddle behind Frye for a while. But when Frye was out injured for the first game it gave Creek the chance to show what he's capable of and so far hadn't let us down.

So far Creek is averaging over 17 1/2 minutes per game in 6 games played, 11.7 ppg, 4.2 rpg and 1.2 apg. Frye is averaging almost 23 minutes in 5 games, 10.8 ppg, 5.6 rpg and 1.6 apg. Overall we're getting good returns from our starting and bench SF's.

Out of interest, Stephen Weigh has played 4 games for the Taipans for 26 mpg, 6.0 ppg, 4.3 rpg and 1.6 apg.

Reply #443067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Camel might be interested in Weigh's minutes ;)

Reply #443076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Four years since the 36ers last won 2 games in a round:

Where once the 36ers may have wilted at the challenge, again they met it, scoring 31 points to notch their second win of the round - they beat NZ on Thursday - for their first pair of wins in the same round since December, 2009.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/newlook-adelaide-36ers-post-31point-final-quarter-in-win-over-sydney-kings/story-fnii09ki-1226752318960

Reply #443078 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While last game 2 Imports got 40points, here two sevenfooters got 30points We go pretty deep, pretty hard to beat.

Reply #443096 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yeah Camel the depth is our strength this year along with a decent coach.
When you have a number 9 like BJ that can come on and provide strong minutes and can score you have a good team .
Restricting outside shooters seem a real problem for team and lucky not too many teams got inside players like Ogilvy .

Reply #443134 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Next three games are good tests for the 36ers:

- host Melbourne for a revenge opportunity
- in NZ to see if we can get them again
- host the currently undefeated Perth

Going 1-1 over the first two would be decent enough. Somehow getting 2-1 from that would be good. 1-2 OK, 0-3 sub-par.

I'd like to think we can knock off Perth who might still be undefeated at that point (they host Cairns and then visit Wollongong).

Reply #443141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754