Kent Brockman
Years ago

Phil back at LA for 3 years

Jackson has signed a 3 year deal with LA as head coach....Kobe to be traded any time soon??

Topic #3301 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

not likely, phil loves kobe. They just need to get a ligit big man again

Reply #37918 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Phil loves Kobe? Are you kidding me? Kobe is the reason he left. He gave an ultimatum to the GM and owner. Kobe or me.

Was the above post sarcastic? I can't tell.

Phil loved Shaq.

Reply #37932 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

thedoctor...true, but doesn't this suggest that the Phil-Kobe feud was perhaps a little over exposed? It simply could not have been that bad for Phil to come back after just one year. There would be other reasons, mostly lifestyle, for Phil to come back to the Lakers but the media and everyone else has all but assumed that if Kobe and Phil couldn't be a alone with each other without one killing the other. It must not be that bad for Phil come back.

Reply #37934 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

If the Lakers want to compete in the West again they need a legit big man.

Trade Kobe's arse and ego away for a good big man and some more players.

Problem is the only big men that I would want would be Timmy D, KG, Yao, Amare and the one that got away, Shaq. Not likely that any of these players could be trade straight up for Kobe.

From memory in Phil's book he said that it was a joy to coach Shaq.

The Lakers have enough playes to compete without Kobe if they add a legit big fella in the middle. Sorry, Vlade doesn't cut it anymore.

Reply #37952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring manute back!!!

Reply #37954 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

never would have thought that this would happen? Then again i thought Michael Jackson was for sure off to jail!

I guess money changes perception

Reply #37960 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

If the Lakers can manage to have 1 coach with 1 system for the entire season they will be better off.

If the Lakers decide to actually play team defense they will be better off. Jackson will help in this regard.

If the Lakers can keep Kobe & Odom on the floor at the same time for 75+ games they will be better off.

If the Lakers can get a real PG who will at least make it look like he is trying to play defense and sort of understands the concept of shot selection they will better off. Also a point guard back-up that is above CBA level would also help.

If the Lakers can trade 2 of their many, many small forwards (Butler, I'm looking at you) to even out the rest of the roster they will better off.

If the Lakers can do this, under Jackson they should improve dramatically. Not enough to challenge for the title, but they should improve.

Reply #37965 | Report this post

SKYHOOK  
Years ago

Phil is dating the GM's daughter??!!

Does NOT love kobe .. but probably thinks he can 'save' Kobe from himself and be a hero in LA again.

Still got .. what 3 or 4 fingers without rings on em?

Reply #37982 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

1 finger left..

Reply #37984 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

No fingers if you include the 1 ring with the Knicks as a player.

Reply #37986 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Jasmine, Jackson made some incredible comments about Kobe in his book and to reporters. He gave the ultimatum. Maybe it was to sell his books, who knows?

The GM said on ESPN today that Jackson IS the highest paid coach in the NBA, a reported 10 million a year.

I'd put a personal fued behind me for that sort of cash.

Reply #37987 | Report this post

ShutUp!!  
Years ago

Kobe to the Bucks for their Number 1 pick and Lakers select Andrew Bogut?

Reply #37988 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Maybe Phil likes the challenge of putting Kobe in his place? What Kobe going to back it up with now?

Reply #38006 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Found a great article about the book quotes. Click here.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/3689324

Reply #38028 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

DJ...what can Kobe back it up with? How about, "Coach, I'm all you have now." It isn't going to be about Phil bending Kobe to his will, it will be about both having to find a middle ground. That will be easier with Shaq not there, but if the Lakers are going to improve the reality is right now Kobe needs Phil and Phil need Kobe.

Reply #38046 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think for Phil to have gone back to LA there would have been some major talks, at one stage I think I heard that it was basically up to Kobe if Phil came back. It was like if Kobe says yes then he would be back.

I agree with most of the above posts about how for LA to be a force again, they will need a big man that can actually play and a point guard. I think even next year under Phil we will see some improvement but not to the force they once were.

Reply #38049 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Bizzy...I have been hearing the exact opposite, that Kobe has kept well and truly out of any negotiations to dispense the inevitable back lash and conspiracy theories that would have been aimed squarely at him if Phil didn't accept the job.

Reply #38071 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The upcoming draft could be interesting for the Lakers. If I were them I would be looking at trading one of the SF and some cash (or someone else) for a low first round pick in the draft. This may help get rid of some crap contracts.

They will not be getting a top PG with their first pick (they will all probably be gone), but should pick up a big body in either Vasqueaz, Sean May (if still around, should be), Taft. If they can swing a late first rounder then they could look at names like Petro, Bynum, Blatche, Morris.

They could also get a late 2nd rounder and look at Luke.

I do have one question, last year Brian Grant hardly played, what was the logic behind that when they struggled on the boards all year.

Interested to see how Lamar-Kobe tandem works out. My money is on Lamar will have a new home by the all-star game.

Reply #38074 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

TR...

Grant hardly played because his knees were shot and was in very orindary shape by his standards by mid-season.

My money is on Lamar having the best season of his career. I see him playing the Pippen role in the triangle, and playing it well.

Reply #38079 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I will enjoy watching the Lakers Soap Opera next year.
I'm hoping they pull off a massive trade to top it off.

Reply #38104 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

My money is on Lamar haing a great season too.............but not in LA!

Reply #38112 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheers, I now understand why Grant didn't play, but chewed up huge cap space....

I still think Lamar will be traded, he needs the pill to produce and is a point forward type of player. Kobe wants the ball, he'll dribble the rock until he gets a shot off. There ain't enough shots for both players to be happy.

Caron Butler will probably also be traded. Last year of his rookie contract (I think) so he has a good contract, not to mention a pretty handy player. They want to keep Luke Walton (WHY!!!!), and are thinking of moving him into the back court. Good bye Chucky Atkins as well, Phil likes big guards...

Reply #38274 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

great so now they have big money phil jackson i surpose the lakers are gonna through there money at shaq now to come back.

Reply #38275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754