Ganymede 86
Years ago

Russell Hinder retiring end of the season

http://www.crocodiles.com.au/article/id/ggmdoa7v5rk019xcptxhgwdp9

Sad to see one of the characters of the game!

Topic #33031 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard he was on only $40K this and last season. Should have really left the game earlier.

Reply #443220 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

His good days have passed but certainly has milked it for all its worth.Good on him.

Reply #443226 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Well overdue, if only because the brains trust over at crocs hq have had him playing starter's minutes for the past 4 years when he has been well beyond it. Unfair role for him which just made him a target of derision for crocs fans when he should have been playing 5-10 mins a game most nights and just being that locker room presence.

As Jalen Rose says, "keep getting dem checks big fella".

Reply #443234 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

He should be placed into the commentary teams for the NBL production

Reply #443244 | Report this post

Tiger watcher  
Years ago

Was done in 2009 bout time the call was made...always was a bit of an ego....as a great mentor for Ben Allen so stellar career!

Reply #443251 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Standard of back-up bigs in the NBL hasn't been brilliant recently, explaining why an experienced player with range and some D has managed to keep his spot - guys like Vanderjagt, Allen, etc. Regardless, he's only 34.

Reply #443255 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, he should not be on any commentary team.

Reply #443256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does more than anyone would actually know. He will be missed!

Reply #443293 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I will remember him for the way he was in his prime not the way he is now. Never a superstar but a very handy player nonetheless.

Reply #443300 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Awseome in that Razorback era under Gordie & no imports. Almost won a flag!

Reply #443304 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He plays a lot older than he is -- mobility wise.

I don't like bigs who can't score inside so as a Crocs fan I've always had my reservations about Rusty - especially as a leader.

His teams -- and in particular him personally -- have crumbled in all the big moments under his leadership.

Reply #443357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you don't spend tim around the team apart from watching the game, how can you rate his leadership?

Actual games make up less than 10% of an NBL player's basketball week!

Reply #443376 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Watching a team crumble time after time in crunch time and give up massive leads speaks volumes about leadership. Starting a season 0-10? Teams playing selfishly. Defenses not locked in. Never locked in Obviously a lot of it has been coaching but as a leader I just don't rate him. Being a guy everyone loves in the locker room or a hype-up guys different to providing leadership, discipline and direction.

Can't fault his heart or motivation but the execution left a lot to be desired under his captaincy. I always saw him as a Juwan Howard type veteran presence...an absolutely fantastic locker room presence, role model and personality, but not an on-court captain.

Like I said above...a lot of it was the role on the court that the Crocs kept giving him. He kept choking in crunch time...but he shouldn't be on the court in crunch time. A starting calibre 5 should be. So then fans like me turn on him but it's really about the role that he is trying to live up to in vain.

I would have loved to see him play another couple of years even..but as a veteran ninth or tenth man...the way it should have been for the last 3 years.

Reply #443377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah 10% of the week is the game another 10% on training and the remaining 80% is playing xbox or playstation. NBL worth ethic is a joke and the players will always moan they are victims because the league isn't doing enough well the buck stops with the quality on court. They want their cake and to eat it.

Reply #443378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have no idea! None!

I'm not even going to waste my time giving you details...

Reply #443398 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'378, not worth wasting time on. You're miles off.

Reply #443404 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

if anything it's the opposite. Nbl players spend too much time training.

Reply #443406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They barely train compared to over in Europe. Remember how shocked Jawai was when he got to Belgrade to play for Partizan? Due to his time there he finally got rid of all the fat. In the NBA training is substituted by the sheer amount of games played.

Doc Hurley when retiring from the Pirates and NBL let loose in a press conference and complained about how lax the standards are in Australia and his frustration with the overall complacency. It is reflected by the product on court each weekend.

I agree the training is disproportionate to game time but the clubs complain about costs when fixture expansion is contemplated. So we are stuck with it.

Reply #443476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754