Isaac
Years ago

Kings vs Taipans, Nov 8

Should be a close one. Kings looking to get the home win, while Cairns are a chance to stick with any team on the road.

Tips?

Topic #33042 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Sydney should right their season here, by 5.

Reply #443417 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Is Harvey still out?

Reply #443427 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cairns should get this but I won't be surprised if the Kings win at home.

Reply #443446 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The 50/50 match of the round I'm going Cairns by 3.

Reply #443451 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Camouche to drop 30 Kings by 10

Reply #443453 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Coin toss for the result but the Kings don't seem too excited judging by the boring game preview.
http://www.sydneykings.com/article/id/1iej2k30t3zsh1hkr50c8ndxnh

Reply #443454 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Harvey not playing is about the only thing of note in the article.

Reply #443455 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The NBL never ceases to disappoint. In anything they do.

If Gliddon is playing, Taipans. If not, Kings.

Reply #443471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Statsheet Stuffer - I think the same about Gliddon for this game, plus I have correctly thought the same for their last two games: With him = win, without = loss. I think he is Taipans most important player.

Reply #443475 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Cairns local news tonight said he would be out again Friday night. The back is fine, but he is having reactions (headaches etc) to the medication.

Reply #443488 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

As a bball fan it's disappointing that Gliddon will be out for Friday, but as a Kings fan I'll take any extra help as possible...

The Kings are still finding their feet, their wins not being overly convincing, but there are still some good signs... Madgen gets better each round, AJ is proving himself to be the best (local) pick up of the season, Carmouche is finally making some shots (although he could pass it occasionally) and White, Garlepp and Hill are all proving valuable contributors at times as well, but bench depth is still an issue as well as the teams ability to see out a match... They need to keep getting it into AJ when they need a score and make sure they don't fall to bits if they get a lead... There used to be a 3rd quarter fade after the major break for some reason, hopefully they can keep momentum going and see this one out...

I'm really going to like to watch the imports match up and also AJ vs Trigger...

Reply #443517 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Ogilvy will murder Trigger and Loughton down low. As long as one other player outside of Carmouche steps up with Gliddon out would pick Sydney at home

Reply #443523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how no one cares about the Kings in Sydney yet their small legion of fans will insist the Kings are the premier franchise of the league and the success of the sport hinges on them. Even during the golden age of NBL bball it was all about Melbourne not Sydney who would choke constantly.

Reply #443570 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Would $3.00 be a good price for Carmouche to be the game's top scorer?

Reply #443612 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Watching the telecast on One after having watched a bit of the A-league on SBS2, you get a real sense of the gulf in production quality. Before the A-league game there was among other things a light-hearted q&a with one of the foreign players, which wasn't just strictly about soccer or the upcoming game. Things like that give the league and the telecast some personality and colour.

I understand SBS have a bigger block of time to work with and a bigger budget etc., but surely One/Ten could do something along those lines to break the monotony of constant game analysis and regurgitation of basic game stats. Maybe at half time given they don't have a lot of time before tip-off.

It seems like a minor thing but it can get a bit mundane, especially to more casual observers, if there isn't a little light and shade in the broadcast.

Reply #443742 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Oh and also, that Brad Rosen guy needs to slow down and not fill every waking second of air with his commentary. Perhaps he could set a benchmark to only comment on every second possession

Reply #443743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jez the A-League on SBS2 is a direct simulcast off of Fox Sports. So the production is by Fox. You may recall when Fox aired NBL the presentation was far superior to what we have now with One (excluding the last season with the AFL yobbos commentating).

Reply #443784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Rosen is great. Has so much to say which is refreshing compared to most other NBL commentators with some struggling to even speak coherently and don't sound like they know much about the game.

Reply #443785 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Rosen's comments were ordinary. It sounds like he's only watched Sydney games, his knowledge of the rest of the league was embarrassing. Plus him and Carfino were living in the past way too much tonight, talking about how good D-Mac and Glenn Saville etc were. How about comparing the current players to current players?

Reply #443788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like the rotation Ten use. There is no point with only two games per week.

What is needed are two permanent commentators who travel to each nationally televised game. Otherwise with the league being so low in profile even the people paid to do the odd game can't be bothered keeping up with what is going on.

Reply #443789 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

To anon #784, I understand the match itself is a direct simulcast of Fox Sports, but I was referring more to the pre-match product. Obviously the pre-match panel (and half-time and post-match) is an SBS production with SBS presenters. I imagine the player profile bits they did which I referred to above are also done by SBS as well. In any case I just think these are examples of some not too drastic tweaks which One/Ten could consider to liven up the product a bit.

Reply #443795 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Missed the broadcast between the Kings and Taipans, however by the sounds of it, the coverage went back to the usual boring of old. Were any of the new bits that were implemented in the last week maintained and improved on into this game? Curious to know.

Also only 3,990 in attendance. I know the Taipans are a low drawing away team, but come on Kings supporters! Their fluctuation of crowds on a week to week basis makes for a very unstable club and shows they have very fickle support. Its about time they regularly attracted 5,000 per game minimum, even with the zero publicity they have in Sydney.

Reply #443798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems that cairns have too much depth

Reply #443799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had to love at the start of the broadcast Carfino calling Demetri McCamey Demetrius, twice.

Another time he was talking to Rosen about something and said "I was speaking to x and he follows the league closely".

Might help if you did too Carfino.

Reply #443800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosen needs to stop for air now & then & his constant references to what Heal is thinking are simply painful. Carfino gave up caring about the league long ago & I can't understand why TEN persist with him.

Reply #443820 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Rosen referred to Mitch Young as "Clint" Young at the end.

Reply #443857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Carfino and Rosen are great, who on this forum would have the knowledge to comment otherwise

Reply #443898 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Got to love Hoops... not one single comment on the actual GAME since it tipped off...

Both Madgen and Ogilvy starring was abeautiful thing to watch as was the Kings defensive play and the result fast break plays, even when they didn't come off 100%...

McCamey had some awesome moves to the basket, but was very hot and cold...

Disappointed with the amount of people turning up... This is a prime chance for the Kings to target the people who are likely to stick around after work on Friday and give the game a chance after drinks and dinner (or preceding a late dinner for those young enough to be able to stay out past 10 ;) ) but I saw NOTHING in the lead up to the game all week and I work about 3 blocks away from the stadium... So many simple, easy things that they could be doing, but they've seriously failed...

As for Carfino and Rosen, after listening to the commentators on NBL.tv broadcasts I'm more than happy to listen to them all the time as their issues pale in comparison to how painful it is to listen to most of the others...

Reply #443922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Got to love Hoops... not one single comment on the actual GAME since it tipped off..."

Sydney is not the centre of the universe and the Kings are BORING.

There were three simultaneous games and we were watching either Sixers-Tigers or Breakers-Crocs which after watching Kings-Taipans I can say the former two were way better. Get over yourself!

Reply #443931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

watched Kings-Taipans replay that is.

Reply #443932 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

This is the Cairns @ Kings GAME THREAD... I'm not being unrealistic to expect some discussion on this particular game... idiot...

Reply #443943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it is the topic. But no one is interested. Then you come and complain. It's the reality, just accept it and stop crying.

Reply #443945 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754