TheCheese
Years ago

Australia's best basketball years?

*Patty Mills is the backup point guard in the NBA of the regining west champions the Spurs
*Bogut has been given a big extension in the NBA as the centre on one of the most exciting up and coming teams
*Dellavedova has been signed on an upcoming team in the NBA behind one of the best current PGs
*Aron Baynes has been signed to the NBA and is learning from one of the best big men on the reigning west champions the Spurs
*Dante Exum and Ben Simmons are projected to be top 10 draft picks in the NBA (exum probably top 5)
*We have many solid players who could compete at the highest level in Euroleague and NBL (e.g. Jingles)
*Australia has the highest subscriptions to NBA League Pass and is the biggest purchaser from NBA store
*The NBA is in serious talks about hosting a game in Australia in the next year or two.
*Junior basketball numbers are at an all time high
*The NBL is on the rise again (at least in my opinion) and is getting more exposure.

So my question is, is Australia at a new high for it's best years of Basketball?

Topic #33047 | Report this topic

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

On the way up...

just have to win a medal at an olympics imo and we will have made it...

that bronze medal game, was it sydney, where they counted a two a three for the opposition that hurt... best chance we have had at medalling... (Longley, Bradtke, Gaze, Vlahov.... just to name a few)

Reply #443515 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

You make a good argument.

Reply #443519 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

One seems to come before the other, but maybe we are putting the cart before the horse in some respects, which concerns me.

The money we are spending on junior basketball and the government's level of commitment to the AIS for the sport seems to be less than needed, while we are expecting massive improvements at the elite level to drag the sport into the lime light at one end, maybe not supporting it consistently enough at the other.

It's a catch 22 situation I feel, something we can't judge properly until those world championship and Olympic events conclude, but the signs are promising...

Reply #443520 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Anyone seen Joe Ingles numbers for macabi? His playing very very well!

Reply #443532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with all points except the NBL part. Its really not on the rise in Sydney. No team in Brisbane. I think its a way from being a popular professional sport at this time. All the gun players (much like soccer) go elsewhere to play because thats where the $ are ...

not sure how to fix it, I'm not anti nbl, but its just not on the rise, the kings get relatively zero media exposure, miscellanous sports category - at least thats how its percieved by people in Sydney. If its not big here then something is lacking

Reply #443535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is a semi pro sport masquerading as a pro sport. Until we accept that, teams will continue to go broke with the associated degradation to the brands credibility.
Our best players will continue to go overseas and there is nothing wrong with that. Even if we were a healthy pro sport we would still not be able to compete with the money on offer overseas. Our players would still be leaving our shores. Embrace the level that we can sustain with venues and salaries and stop looking mickey mouse in the sporting publics eyes. An 8 team comp quite frankly is a joke, teams constantly going broke is a joke. Having said all that our level of play is world class and the product fun to watch, just gotta get the off court stability.

Reply #443538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

agree with all points except the NBL part. Its really not on the rise in Sydney. No team in Brisbane.
So it's not on the rise or not on the rise in Sydney?

Going from no team in Brisbane to a commitment to add a Brisbane team is positive. It's on the rise in Adelaide, Perth and NZ. Seems fine in Cairns and on the up in Melbourne.

In Perth, and going on game-night exposure the NBL almost looks best ever. Big crowds, loads of enthusiasm, etc.

Reply #443540 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ You forget Isaac, if its not happening in Sydney is apparently doesn't exist. Just ask anyone from Sydney.

Reply #443542 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

Seriously, why does anyone care so much about Sydney? in Perth the NBL is the hot ticket.. crowds grow everywhere else. Sydneysiders need to realise they are not the whole country..

Reply #443543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey I am sure those from outside Sydney think that way, I would to, but it doesn't change the fact that Sydney is the biggest market and you need Basketball to be strong here ....

I hope it kicks off in Brisbane, that would be great. But the Kings are not taken seriously by Sydney media or sports tv - its a big problem as many of the big decisions are made here

No disrepect but the fact that things are good in Cairns is not really here or there ... more people live in Manly than in Cairns, and there would be 100 times more $$ going around in Manly also.

Nothing would make me more happy than for it to get going again in Sydney

Reply #443545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What exactly are they doing in Sydney to get the popularity to where it needs to be? (Serious question)

Reply #443550 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Basketball is getting a lot better in Sydney. I have been going to Kings games for over 20 years. It is not like the Ken McClarry D-Train days but its getting back we had 6000 last Sunday. I just think were doing a terrible job of marketing the sport in Syndey.

Reply #443557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6000 is a good sign, definitely an improvement

Reply #443559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly they regularly get more than that to high school rugby games in Sydney

Reply #443560 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

What we need to do is keep encouraging our imports to have babies out here!

Dante Exum, Ben Simmons, Jonah Bolden. Keep up the good work fellas!

If only Kyrie Irving would commit to the Boomers.

Reply #443563 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Yeah you guys are right and the fact that Perth was in town and word has spread about James Ennis (the fact that a lot of wildcats faithful are now residing in Sydney) really skewed those numbers. I expect no more than say 4000 tomorrow night I hope I am wrong. I have been to games where there has been 1000 at the Entertainment centre capacity of 11K and that looks terrible. Were getting there a lot more work needs to be done though. The game has thrived before in Sydney because we had the right people at the helm running the marketing and promotion of the game. We do not anymore IMO.

Reply #443564 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NBL is basically on the rise everywhere except Townsville and Wollongong, which is great for the sport.

I dare say that the Breakers numbers will continue to fall off a cliff if they keep losing as well.

Reply #443581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame about breakers form, but kiwis must be pumped about the way Adams is playing... He's doing well in a real good spot in OKC ...

Reply #443584 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Serious question here to anyone that goes to NBL games sporadically.

What stops YOU from going to NBL games?

Price?
Location of venue?
Parking?
Other event scheduling?

Reply #443588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have season tickets to the sixers if it wasnt for half the home games being on a friday night were our div1 and 2 junior competition is played, and sunday arvos when most clubs have training for juniors. Need to be more saturday night games, or even bring back big wednesday. Terrible scheduling IMO. I know there's a lot of factors that go into scheduling, and the NBL isnt going to bend over backwards for basketball SA, but maybe something should be worked out were at least some of the friday night games are moved to saturdays. even sundays would be better than fridays. At the moment the NBL loses out (I guarantee if the games werent on fridays there would e an extra 100 kids from the junior program at least going to a sixers game, and if they bring mum, dad, and a sibling thats 400 tickets), and the fans miss out.

Reply #443591 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

AJ, Do you think we should introduce Ennis to Liz Cambage?

Reply #443593 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

@natwhereyouat a few years ago I went to watch the South Dragons play because I am not a Tigers fan and in Victoria we have no other options mate!

Simple...

Reply #443595 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

PS. That's why we love our SEABL and BigV comps...

Reply #443596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Price? - I have the money to spend but don't feel like what they are charging is commensurate with the product on offer
Location of venue? Perth Arena - good
Parking? You get free public transport with a Wildcats ticket which is great
Other event scheduling? 6:30pm Fridays = FAIL!

Reply #443602 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Nat, The price is a little steep compared to the footy but I guess the footy gets much more crowds but being the mad 36ers fan that I am I go anyway.

Reply #443606 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Indoor sports are always going to charge a bit more because footy ovals are cheaper on a per-seat basis to build.

Reply #443610 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

As a fan who regularly attended tigers v magic v giants games 20 years - where the average crowd size was 15,000 - I can't see Australian basketball returning to that level for another 20 years for three reasons:

1) The NBA has become so accessible now it's easy for anyone to watch ANY live game, keep up to date with players and stats, and see highlights. 20 years ago you had to live with seeing Don Lane present a week old game on the ABC, buy outdated and expensive copies of hoops magazine for stats and results. It drove people to watch the NBL and those crosstown rival matchups were always played with playoff intensity.

2) Money - of the lack of it. Australia is too small a market for players of any decent talent to remain for too long. With the nations population continuing to grow I believe in 20 years time we may reach a stage where more fans mean more supporters leading to bigger crowds and more league revenue.

3) There's nothing new. The game changed significantly at the start of the 90s with jordan and magic Johnson bringing a more uptempo game. The Australian style of play up until that point focussed on the tall big bodied slow oafs (John Dorge, Larry Senstock, Ray Borner) dominating - the sport became almost unwatchable. With the new era fans were treated to fresh faces such as Copeland, James Crawford, Robert Rose landing on our shores and showing our oafs that size meant nothing vs athleticism. It changed the league, the game, and these new faces were able to get the crowd involved.
Back to the point - we have seen everything thus far. There's no reason I can see that will drive fans back in droves. Quality players are here for a maximum 1 yr which is unfortunate.

Reply #443615 | Report this post

GuessWhosBACK  
Years ago

What I will say about Sydney, is they regularly have C grade stars floating around the place. Last televised game I saw Dazza there from Housos... how hard would it be to get the guy to do a couple of Sydney King youtube adds for a couple of season tickets for him and a mate?.... publicity like that pays for itself.

Koshie is there... why cant he do a morning sunrise or whatever hes on 5 min clip of him trying a training session with the Sydney Kings?

I think a certain amount of Sydney Kings, and the NBL at larges problems is laziness and lack of imagination.

Bliss n Eso did a video with the Sydney Kings that was well recieved by fans of both... and B+E are multiplatinum artists with fans across the country... why not a few more initiatives with them? ... why not have them co host a game?... Sydney had more potential then any team in the league to get its face out there. they just dont do it!

As for being Australias best basketball years.. Well, its on a rise. I am not sure you can compare the Andrew Gaze days and the times where the Boomers were household names to today, but when it comes to the sheer amount of talent we are producing and our medal prospects... Right now is the brightest ever in that respect. As for health of NBL... it is nowhere near the early 90s but it is far better then most of the 00's... except maybe 06-09 when we seemed to have a lot of good aussie talent thats since gone to europe.

Reply #443623 | Report this post

no gimmics  
Years ago

Great argument from this post but i still go with 90s where schools were packed at lunch n recess with bball games, n playgrounds courts were packed night n day 7 days a week. Just cause we are churning out the players doesnt make it popular.

Reply #443718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754