HoldenV8
Years ago

Apollo Stadium last quarter, last game

Someone (not myself) has uploaded a pretty good quality video of the last quarter of the last NBL game played at the Apollo Stadium. The first game of the 1991 Semi-finals which we unfortunately lost to Perth 102-99, Kubank had buzzer beater to tie it up at the end but missed.

Last game at Apollo and also the last home game as a 36ers for Darryl Pearce who was off to North Melbourne in 1992.

Some great players in this game. Davis, Pearce, Bradtke, McKay, Hays, Wheeler for the 36ers. Pinder, Crawford, Ellis, Grace, Watterson, Torrence, and a young Andrew Vlahov for the Wildcats.

Lyn Parnell and Andrew Kay in commentary, with special comments by Boti on the sideline (I know Max Stevens but for the life of me I can't think who the other guy is).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnF3wVw_Ee4

Topic #33070 | Report this topic

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Absolutely loved that stadium , went there on a Wednesday night watched all the State Bank league games after school. Great stadium !

Reply #443860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes,agree with Pure Silk,good memories of apollo,Sixers ,West adelaide,state league wed nights ,even harlem globetrotters too.

Reply #443952 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

I remember watching that game in a hotel room somewhere in the middle of nowhere between Adelaide and Perth. It was late at night and I had to watch it almost with the sound off because my parents were sleeping.

It was actually just a coincidence that I was on my way to Perth. I was travelling with my parents to a religious event and wasn't allowed to go to Game 2 in Perth because they were busy at the event worshipping God. I did watch Game 2 in the hotel room at Perth. We lost by a basket again, just like Game 1. Butch Hays got a decent look at it but couldn't make it.

Now my parents don't even believe in that religion anymore, so looking back it was an even bigger waste of time than it felt at the time. And even at 12 years old, it felt like a pretty big waste of time.

So, yeah, I was in Perth for Game 2 but couldn't go see it. Pretty crappy memory. Probably not even worth storing as a memory.

Reply #443956 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I sadly never got to experience a 36ers game at Apollo, despite being a fan since 1985 (my first game was actually the 1994 semi-final win over Melbourne at the Powerhouse - Mark Davis' dislocated shoulder happened right in front of me, and the roar when Gaze fouled out was deafening). In fact, the only time I ever went to Apollo was to one of the regular Stall Sales they would run some weekends. In 1987 my aunt have come over from Sydney and somehow when out and about, we ended up at there.

I know my brother played a few basketball games there for Cheltenham United, but I'm not sure if he ever got to see a 36ers or Bearcats game there.

Reply #443997 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Watched the vid, a few notes;

- Dave Christensen is the other guy. He's a Perth commentator, must've been forced to co commentate to reign in Andy Kay's bias.
- One and one when in the bonus. For some reason I still miss this rule, had the option to inbound instead of free throws too
- Tiny Pinder the following year was in jail.
- Chicken Treat $3 meals
- The 36ers fly Australian Airlines

Reply #444018 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

i remember going going to appollo to see ernie sigley and adelaide tonight life )

Reply #444050 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

live

Reply #444051 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

keep waiting for an Ardath advertisement or W D & HO Wills

anyway - will settle on this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzzX5vc74fg

Reply #444053 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks smoovy. I knew Christensen was from Perth but couldn't remember his name.

You might be getting Andrew Kay mixed with Lyn Parnell. Andy was a bit parochial towards the 36ers, but Lyn left him for dead in those stakes (though neither were as bad as Stephen Quartermain and his love of all teams Victorian, or Bill Woods and his love of the Kings).

Reply #444188 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I wonder what Kay and Parnell are doing with themselves these days? I know Boti mentioned Parnell in one of his writings on his site last week, but didn't say what he was up to.

I know Andy Kay was also a part time SANFL commentator in the early 90s (there is a vid on YouTube somewhere). Did he and Parnell ever commentate games at the Powerhouse, or did they lose that gig because I remember Peter Marker and Mark Aiston doing commentary for a while.

Reply #444189 | Report this post

Admins  
Years ago

Watched Queen in concert at the stadium then played on the Wednesday night (Amazing place)

Reply #444210 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

Andy Kay is effectively head of Seven Sport as far as I know. Certainly has kicked on.

Lyn Parnell, no idea.

Christensen is also recognised as the no.1 Hockey commentator.

Reply #444396 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Christensen isn't a bad commentator and I have heard him in many Olympic hockey games. I wonder, being from Perth would he have gotten some tips on the game to help his calls from fellow Sandgroper Rick Charlesworth? Also remember him being the Andy Kay of Wildcats games, and I think he also did some VFL/AFL in the early days of the West Coast Eagles.

Does anyone remember where the commentary box at Apollo was located? Was it on the camera side of the court or was it behind the benches? From what I've heard it wasn't a "box" as such, just a small area allocated to them. And they often had trouble seeing things especially as the fans in front of them (and the cameras) would jump up if something big happened on the floor and blocked the view. A legacy of a small venue I guess.

Reply #444422 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

They sat on a bench mid court in the back row behind the benches

Reply #444428 | Report this post

Admins  
Years ago

It was on the camera side just below the cameras about centre court 3/4 of the way to the top. I remember the old days when it was Ian Day etc doing the calling.

Reply #444429 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Played in the first summer grand final there Feb 1970, the night of the opening ceremony of Apollo. TV broadcast in black and white... I must be old...

Reply #444436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched Don Shipway , belt Alan Hughs with a elbow on a layup , Watched Al Green break a Jaw (some one elses) Watched Kelvin Henderson split a guys nose wide open after dunking on him , watched the same Woodville team with Henderson , Smyth , Madigan ,Dewitt , Christie have 2 games called off because of all in brawls, saw about 20 of those chalk tiles on the roof come crashing down when the ball hit them. Great basketball great fights and great memories from what was the best stadium in Australia for a very long time.

Reply #444451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Christensen is also recognised as the no.1 Hockey commentator."

Hockey is also recognised as the no.1 gay sport.

Reply #444481 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754