Anonymous
Years ago

How does Broken Hill qualify as SA Country?

My first experience with SA Country trials yesterday and noticed a few kids from Broken Hill. How do they qualify as last I looked Broken Hill is in NSW?

Topic #33075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broken Hill is technically on the NSW side of the border but has always aligned itself with SA. Broken Hill kids have always been SA Country.

I guess you're worried that the Broken Hill kids might take your son or daughter's spot.

Reply #443974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha love it!

Reply #443975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If a Broken Hill Kid is better than my kid so be it. As I said I am new to the SA country program and didn't know why they played for us.

Reply #443986 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

They are only 5 hours drive from Adelaide vs. 13 hours to Sydney. They also align themselves with SA time.

Reply #443993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PS - Check out the weather report on TV tonight.

Reply #443996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broken Hill is/was a mining town, as Adelaide is the closest capital city to BH most of the population were miners brought in from SA hence why they use SA time in Broken Hill and although technically in NSW it's always been considered a part of SA.

Reply #444003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer dad get off the forum

Reply #444044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are metro based players being selected????

Reply #444046 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

dont get too technical - we want more competitive bball and including mildura and bhill (would like to see alice as well) in our country cups only strengthens it / improves profile.

Reply #444049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is ridiculous. It is SA Country - SA being the operative word. Dad you should be royally pee'd off if someone from NSW or Vic takes a spot from your son/daughter.
Also heard SAC have picked a metro kid too?

Reply #444054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

more than one

Reply #444055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who pays for the cost of supporting Broken Hill Basketball? Are they affiliated with SA Country or BSA or NSW.

I think it is ludicrous - where do you draw the line? Being closer to Adelaide is irrelevant as we are talking Country not Metro. Is Broken Hill closer to SA Country or NSW Country? Obviously the latter as they are in NSW.

So how far do we go into NSW before we say it is no longer SA? Is Wilcannia NSW Country or SA Country?

So is Mt Isa NT Country? Where does it stop? Is Dave Ingham going to spend his time developing people in Broken Hill and if/when they play higher levels they are shown as NSW basketballers and no credit is given to SA and perhaps SASI funding as we did not develop elite athletes. Stick to the state borders!!

Reply #444077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why don't Mt Gambier declare Vic. Country.?

Port Lincoln to WA Country

Reply #444082 | Report this post

bruce  
Years ago

Why are metro based players being selected????

dont know of any metro kids playing at sac but there are plenty of sac kids playing metro ball ! some certainly live in the hills and southern areas. They must be affiliated with a country assoc. or reside in country areas. I would be more concerned with the number of country kids switching to metro over the last few years than the other way !!
there would be 40 + sac kids playing div 1 metro ball

A great weekend for sac with excellent numbers attending all trials and great to see the return of experienced coaches as well as some fresh young faces being developed

Reply #444092 | Report this post

Me2  
Years ago

Whether a player qualifies to represent SAC or SAM is based on the residential address of their parent(s). Many parents choose to provide a more complex basketball experience for their talented athletes by having them board in the city or by making the journey at weekends to allow them to play and train.

Reply #444095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So your telling me they only need to be registered in a country association to play SAC. So what stops a player having a holiday home on the coast and visiting it playing 2 or 3 games in a country association, but living in town and school in town????

Reply #444098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What stops country kids going and living with aunty, uncle, grandma and suddenly becoming Metro??

Reply #444099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

common sense and the quality of country basketball stops that.

Reply #444104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well it isnt

Reply #444114 | Report this post

bruce  
Years ago

SAC has clear pathways for its athletes via its scholarship and DNSP programs as well as its regular camps , no metro kid will or can 'cheat' the system

Reply #444127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

your mistaken Bruce its happening

Reply #444129 | Report this post

growsome  
Years ago

You will find all BSA rules or regulations can b ignored if u try hard enough because no-one has the balls to enforce them.
Kayla Francis lived metro and played for country.
You can move clubs mid season if u make enough phone calls.
Your club can fuck with home and away schedules by not entering div1 teams, yet still retain a spot in ABA.

Reply #444133 | Report this post

growsome  
Years ago

You will find all BSA rules or regulations can b ignored if u try hard enough because no-one has the balls to enforce them.
Kayla Francis lived metro and played for country.
You can move clubs mid season if u make enough phone calls.
Your club can fuck with home and away schedules by not entering div1 teams, yet still retain a spot in ABA.

Reply #444134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not from B.H, but looks like someones kid hasnt made the team when a B.H kid did.. its all about putting together the best teams. There will be some in the teams that arent necessarily from B.H, but many of us wonder how they made it.. I heard many discussions like that over the weekend..a couple I wondered about myself.. some times its talent, sometimes its who you know, not what you know, I think, and sometimes its dumb luck a kid makes it, many a good players can have a bad trial, but on any other given day you would have them in your team. You only have to watch for a while and see that when your kid does something really GREAT the team selectors are often not watching at that moment, but you can bet they will be watching that bad move, happens all the time. most parents know that feeling.. Thats Life.
I for one have no problem with BH strengthening our State Country sides as long as they are good enough.
What I didnt think appropriate, was hearing from a parent that a selector told the previous u/13s team that dont just expect to make it this year, many of you are just not up to scratch before the trials even commenced..no agenda there,??!! and Good for the confidence ""NOT"" Guess they didnt think about the fact they were still speaking to 12year olds. Some things best left unsaid at times, I may follow that rule now :)

Reply #444293 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I still don't get how if you live in SA country but you put your grand parent's metro address down then you can trial for metro???
Does no one actually check where the kid actually lives?? Surely that means if a child boards in the city for school then they could trial for metro as it is their residential address.

Reply #445330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually no, if a child boards that is where they stay for school, but legally they still reside at their parents' home.

Reply #445331 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

so then they must say they permanently live with their grand parents which is not correct as they live at home with mum and dad.
Surely the powers that be check where the kids actually live??? Especially as this particular player has played at Albury for SAC previously.

Reply #445334 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754