Steven
Years ago

NBL thoughts so far

Well guys we're a month into another season what's your thoughts so far?
*Perth looking the favourites even without Knight
*Adelaide are top 3 imo
*Sydney have surprised me and NZ have been disappointing
*Townsville's imports are better than I thought
*Goulding in MVP form

Topic #33079 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Good summary actually, I agree with all of those points although perhaps Sydney haven't been all that surprising.

Reply #444029 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Looking forward to seeing how Sydney goes once Cody Ellis arrives. Could be a pretty dangerous opponent.

Reply #444030 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Perth obvious favourites.

Gong or NZ for the spoon...both are paying well too because all the bookies are hell bent on townsville but it wont be them.

Will cairns continue to choke away winnable games? Like townsville they just have no one at the 5 when small ball isnt working.

Adelaide looking good but they still arent greater than the sum of their parts...and thats what great teams are...still lots of defensive lapses. But it's so early.

So far the big surprises are cairns, nz and melb. Picked the first two to be way better and the latter to be the wprst5 team in the league

Reply #444031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis goulding or ogilvy for MVP

Reply #444040 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers have been terrible so far. Luckily there are plenty of games to go to turn things around..

Reply #444041 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mystro, hopefully they won't turn it around next game

Reply #444042 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the game is at Vector so having a big crowd (if after these losses the band wagon fans still give a shit) behind them will def get Wilkinson & Corletto going.
NZ's defense is pretty atrocious at best especially in transition so I'd prob be penciling in another W for Adelaide in Auckland at this stage.
I'm happy to be wrong but they (NZ) haven't shown enough week to week improvement for me to see a Breakers victory against a potential playoff team yet.

Reply #444045 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

A poor turnout and/or a loss at Vector will have some enormous alarm bells going off at Breakers HQ, but I'm not sure, after Lazare->Wilko, what other possible aces they could pull out.

Reply #444100 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Possible Breaker Aces: Kirk Penney and/or Cedric Jackson.

The return of those two players would have Atlas Place dusting off the "Full House" signs for sure.

Next season I would not be surprised to see Penney back for his swansong.

Reply #444101 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree with the anon above MVP is a 3 player race Ennis,Goulding and Ogilvy. With Ervin as the outsider.

Reply #444102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry to say but NBL is loosing me. The scoring is up but only because the teams are shooting 20 more free throws a game. I want to see a game go up and down not a whistle every possession. NBL is going the wrong way if they are trying to make it more exciting.

Reply #444109 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Well that's not really the case, the shooting percentages are well up, across the board and the FTs are not actually that far up, except that we've had more close games which tends to lead to intentional fouls and free throws.

Reply #444112 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

NZ struggling is the biggest surpirse...it appears the keys are getting a little older...Corletto/burton & others found out when they are expected to step up to significant roles i.e Pledger/Webster/Abercrombie are quite good engouh hence the Wilkanson move to hopefully paper over the cracks.

Townsville - Playing well with limited talent but the imports are not bad and they play to there strenghs.

Cairns - Rate themselves better than the actually are but thats nothing new!

Tigers - Playing well with Goulding really firing...interesting if teams can work on shutting him down.

Perth - they keep doing what they do!

Adelaide - good signs hopefully as they gel more and get used to Joey results will continue to come.

Sydney - Going ok without setting the world on fire but as mentioned Ellis could have a big impact

Gong - Imports look solid but they just don't have the supporting cast.

Reply #444136 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would put Wollongong the complete opposite. The supporting cast is good and once they and the imports work out how to work together they will be dangerous.

NZ isnt about talent, it's about how they are choosing to play the game. The style Vickerman is using would work 2-3 years ago but the league has moved on since then.

Perth and Adelaide have done themselves no harm at all with a quick start. Tantalising thought of the Wildcats claiming first and NZ sneaking into fourth, then the other SF of Adelaide v Melbourne or Sydney would be very interesting too.

But there are plenty of twists left yet so Im not ruling anyone out.

Reply #444140 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Cairns aren't overrated, they are just as good if not better than Adelaide. Remember a bloke named Cameron Gliddon?

Reply #444143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The league is boring and once again there is an obvious front runner. The problem stems from only having eight teams so a third will be duds, a third average and the other third dominant. Look at the last three seasons. This is what is occurring again with Sixers replacing Breakers in the top two but are still gelling so Wildcats will probably extend their lead further. Snoozefest.

Reply #444149 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I would say with absolute certainty we won't see a repeat of the 12/13 only two teams with a %age over .500

Reply #444153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's because the average sides will have more easy wins than last season because the bottom teams are even worse.

Reply #444155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks lowest ever score is pathetic.

Reply #444162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul the current Hawks will never be dangerous.

Reply #444185 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754