Happy Days
Years ago

Wollongong Hawks-Playing Roster

Do you think the Hawks are going to have to make some tough calls at the end of the season with the likes Tyson Demos, Tim Coenraad etc to rejunenate there playing roster. Understand there budgetary constraints but with this group i cant see them making the playoffs in the foreseeable future.

Your thoughts???

Topic #33095 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I think some of those guys got pretty long deals on their last contracts. Three year deals, perhaps. Martin, Demos, Coenraad, etc.

Reply #444258 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Issac, do you think that group can get them to the playoffs or are they just making up the numbers?

Reply #444259 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think their problem lies with their lack of big men.

This year its worse with the injury to Davidson, but it has always been a problem for the Hawks.

Other teams have Vukona-Pledger, Petrie-Johnson, Redhage-Knight, Trigger-Loughton.

They have had Davidson, but have never had that second big

Reply #444262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries are the reason they are struggling this season. Its pretty much the same team that has made finals in the past so there is no need for concern. The best thing to do next season is to get rid of Gruber and bring in a bigger and better player.

Reply #444273 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

The Hawks didn't have the strongest roster to begin with so any injury will affect them, thought they were respectable in loss to the tigers. Even with Davidson they're one impact frontcourt player short imo

Reply #444282 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Their base roster actuary isn't too bad but they do rely a bit on the great quaity imports they usually have.

Reply #444359 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I agree with their Aussie roster being pretty good. Gordie's system just relies on a key import or two.

At the end of last season when I asked Gordie what his plans are with the roster going forward he said it's coming close to the end of their run. From memory he said there was a 4-5 year window set for the Forman/Davidson/Tim/Martin/Demos rotation.

Reply #444362 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Agreed. Plenty of useful players on that roster ... just lack a bit of star power.

Reply #444363 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No comments on the absence of Saville? Huge impact going from him with Coenraad backing up to Coenraad starting. Martin is down on his best, coming back from injury. And going without Larry hurts. He and Oscar barely played at home against NZ.

They're effectively starting some bench players right now and it puts them behind the eight ball. Tiggs has been inconsistent. Wish Summers had stayed!

Should they offload those guys? For who? They're fine as rotation players off the bench IMO. When was the last time they got a big name, non-import recruit? They don't have the money to do that. Forman was released by NZ. Tragardh before him was brought in cheap and improved.

Guess with hindsight they could've got Jervis when he was waiting for a call?

Reply #444388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754