Isaac
Years ago

More complaining about refs by Corletto

New Zealand Breakers guard Daryl Corletto has accused the NBL of tinkering with the refereeing to prevent his team winning a fourth consecutive title.
Corletto "didn't hold back when asked about the new refereeing style, saying it was a deliberate ploy to stop the Breakers' physical game."
"That's not complaining or whingeing or anything, I'm just trying to be honest. That's how I feel, that Basketball Australia's (the NBL) brought this in because they don't want the New Zealand Breakers to win the championship again.
Corletto said the new interpretations were not producing pretty basketball and could "wreck the league", saying it was a shame teammates like Mika Vukona and Tom Abercrombie seem to be in foul trouble every week.
Full story

You could easily argue that Perth exploited the old interpretations more, yet are doing just fine.

Topic #33111 | Report this topic

The Situation  
Years ago

I knew Kiwis were dumb but I didn't know you could catch dumb by living there for a couple of years.

Reply #444514 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Now he knows how every other team felt the past 3yrs! Perth gave it but vukona got away with alot against perth! Can't talk about perth, they prob the same. This yr waggs and redhage are not starting shit like the past seasons + robbo is'nt there. Bit sad comming from a person where they have won 3 in a row! Everything that is good never lasts in life. May be a change of hair do might do the trick?

Reply #444516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Corletto on Twitter:

Really wish people would read full article! I said not complaining about anything, just saying we need to adjust. It's all good people relax
I read that and a few of the comments about what he'd said. Then went and read the article and found it worse. It's not as though he vaguely implies a conspiracy, but directly says that it is. The blame is nowhere near him and his team and all over that horrible Basketball Australia (de-merger news yet to hit NZ).

In so many other places, you see players getting behind the league to talk it up. Then you get ol' DC.

Reply #444517 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Vickerman probably paid him 50 bucks to say it.

Reply #444518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rules were changed because of 1.) Wildcats/Bevo ball followed by vast amounts of daylight.

Corletto you are pathetic. Too bad no NZ journalist will ask him to think of it in reverse - maybe the Brekaers three-peated because the rules suited them perfectly? Corletto sounds like a greedy pig who wants even more.

Reply #444520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mika wouldn't be in foul trouble if he adjusted to the style. In ANY game, a good player will adjust to how the game is being called... He is not adjusting AT ALL. The blame is on his shoulders!

Reply #444521 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"The rules were changed because of 1.) Wildcats/Bevo ball followed by vast amounts of daylight."

What a load of shit. Every team was afforded the same interpretations in the past couple of seasons.

Reply #444523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No side took it further than Perth. Hence the change.

Reply #444524 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nothing stopped any other team from playing the same structured and discipline play that Perth & NZ played last year, except other teams had poor coaches and petulant imports. All games were physical and the league recognised that the physicality was having a negative effect.

I have no problem with the rules changes but to blame Perth is ridiculous.

Reply #444526 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

The sooner corletto realises that the refs aren't why the Breakers are losing.. the better

Reply #444527 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nothing lasts forever. I was stoked with 1 championship. 2 in a row was amazing and 3 was epic.
Pretty difficult to win 4 in a row.
It's not like the core of the team on their long term contracts will be that worried about their job security if they don't win the title this year.

Reply #444528 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Like i asked in older posts on comments like this:

Do clubs not have policies/rules about saying stuff to the media?

Youd think as a professional team they would have strict rules around what can be said. If not you would think a player would have sufficient media training..

Clubs should start to enforce some guidelines internally because otherwise its a bit embarrasing when a player makes nonsensical comments.

It doesn't look good for the club and is embarassing for fans of the club (breakers fan myself)

Reply #444531 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

try playing social ball DC, you never know what your gonna get minute to minute, at least the umpires seem to be consistent throught the season so far.
Surely professionals can adjust, it doesnt seem that hard and after all its technically a non contact sport. learn to play clean D, move your feet and not hold as you were taught in juniors and you will be fine.

Some players need more media training

Reply #444534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calletto?

Reply #444537 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Cryletto?

Reply #444538 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Play to the umpiring.. Sure Perth have had a change in coaching and players but they aren't really that different style wise this year than from last, minus Ennis.

Reply #444539 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

unfortunately the NZ media eats that stuff up and I'm not sure that the Breakers front office would mind him speaking his mind.

If anything it may spur on more people to come get behind the "hard done by underdogs" considering attendances have fallen away slightly.

Reply #444540 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

In NZ, I once knew somebody who knew someone who's grandfather was supposed to have married a girl he wasn't related to.

Reply #444541 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Speaking of media, how the hell do fans get their hands on press conference video? Does anyone actually know? NBL TV uploaded some games' last season from memory.

I do media work on NRL games and if there's no material from the presser, I'm a dead man. Press conferences are actually important for fans! Just another area in which the NBL lacks...

Reply #444543 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He is the biggest complainer in the league.

Reply #444548 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Is this one of those "no offense but" things where you proceed to dredge up every offensive thing under the sun?

Reply #444550 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'm not racist but...

Reply #444551 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolute nonsense when perth exploited the old "rules" way more blatantly. NZ weren't more physical defensively than anyone when I saw them play. They were just that much better on offense. Their defense was nowhere near as physical as perths.

Reply #444557 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

@Statsheet Stuffer

Perth put out their home game press conferences on their youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/perthwildcats82

Reply #444559 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Why doesn't Corletto just become a stand up comedian

Reply #444560 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Mick,

No.

Reply #444561 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Thanks Silencer. You'd think the league would make an effort to standardise its media; be it TV, social media, press conferences. As I said in another thread, I love the NBL but I hate that I love it.

Reply #444563 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Get over it Corletto

Reply #444564 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

It's good that Corletto comes out and speaks his mind. We shouldn't jump on him otherwise we will end up with AFL media trained robots who say nothing. That is one area where basketball can win fans and that is by encouraging the players to be characters. Let's not crucify people for having an opinion. Let's enjoy it. It doesn't matter anyway because the results will speak for themselves with either a W or L.
If players are too stupid to adjust to referees calls then bad luck. It's not like they weren't warned.

Reply #444566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rockstar, fine, unless it looks bush league.

Reply #444581 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha, a very 'sixties rockstar' approach to the issue. Nice

Reply #444582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixtiesrockstar how does corletto saying "the new interpretations are not producing pretty basketball and could wreck the league" help promote the game. He is so way off the mark it sounds like sour grapes. IMO the game is so much better this season because of the new interpretations.

Reply #444604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone should tell people in NZ that basketball isn't indoor rugby

Reply #444606 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

You idiot Corletto, concentrate on licking your fingers every 2 seconds.

Reply #444609 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm all for characters, I'm all for players speaking their minds, it's usually pretty funny, but this sort of crap is just blatantly wrong and an attack on the NBL itself, declaring that the changes were made intentionally to stop NZ winning another championship... NZ are probably eating it all up, but really, there should be some sort of sanction, even just internally, for this sort of idiotic behaviour...

Perth were tough defenders pushing the limits, but NZ have been getting away with thuggish behaviour for years and finally getting called on it...

Reply #444624 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Maybe sit this next round out DC... your wife is pretty hot, maybe just look at the glass as half full and shut up.

Reply #444627 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

If Corletto's views are shared by the rest of the Breakers organisation then I have sympathy for their fans. This is going to be a long season.

Reply #444628 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The NBL and players need to be talking up the higher scoring and benefits of this change. Instead, selfish Corletto brings the game into disrepute.

Reply #444638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth weren't the instigators of rough, physical play, you can attribute that to Goorjian and his teams. Bevo just brought it back in and it worked. NZ were the only team that semi matched them at their own game, they also had a better offensive unit which is why they had Perths number.

Face facts Perth fans, your team has been the dirtiest over the past few years.....everyone else (fans of all different teams) cant be wrong.

The new rule interpretations are great and provide a much more entertaining game!

Reply #444650 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You'll have to define dirty before I face facts.

The reason why other teams fans are often wrong about who is and isn't dirty is because they don't want to rag on guys they like. Hinder is the perfect example of that.

Reply #444656 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The rules have not changed!

Reply #444666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love his comment about fans that don't like to see stop start games, if they would just adapt to the new rules then their games would be more free flowing. The AFL change rules every very second yeah or so and the team have to adapt, you don't see the top teams making excuses due to changes in the rules if they start losing.( unless ur 1 of the Scott brothers)

He needs a couple of cans of concrete and harden the fuk up.

Reply #444668 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I was hoping he'd say "no one wants to watch netball" so he could face the wrath of his wife when he got home from practice.

Reply #444669 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's funny though that all the guys hinging about these new rules seem to be slow and unathletic...

Reply #444672 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

whinging*

Reply #444673 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is that you, Mick? Or is that Mick?

Reply #444676 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Corletto did a nice job guarding Kevin Lisch last season in the finals, didn't look overly slow to me?

Reply #444678 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He did, but wouldnt have been able to do it the same this year.

Reply #444683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Situation....I've never noticed Hinder to be that type of player? Not saying he isnt, just saying I havent noticed it personally....whilst Redhage for example is commonly known as 'cheap shot'.

I'm not bagging Perth by the way....they played the way the rules were being interpreted to the letter, it is/was up to the umpires to make the calls and hey, if you test the limits and continually get away with it then nothing wrong with playing to that interpretation.

I believe the league adjusted their interpretation of the rules to allow a more free flowing and watchable game....if you want to see holding, wrestling etc then you would watch wrestling...that interpretation was hurting the game, the spectacle, the highlights and thus ticket sales.

Reply #444685 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Situation....I've never noticed Hinder to be that type of player? Not saying he isnt, just saying I havent noticed it personally....whilst Redhage for example is commonly known as 'cheap shot'."

That isn't defining dirty. Thats just saying "everyone else says it so it must be true."

I don't care if people dislike Perth but I've yet to see anyone clarify what they mean by dirty, or apply their criticisms of "dirty play" to other players who are far dirtier than any Wildcat.

Reply #444687 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Corletto - Your profile of Basketball was very much in error in the part which you dealt with. It is not credible.What you attribute to Basketball Australia is equally not credible, as you had reason to know, which you seem to have ignored altogether.. It would seem that you did it unconscionably, for by so doing you damaged not only Basketball Australia and the NBL but the game of Basketball.

Reply #444699 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Corletto might be way off the mark and wrong with his comments. Does it really matter. Should he now be banned from talking?
Everyone who posts on this blog is gonna be way off and wrong with our comments. All negative comments should now be banned as they are "deemed as not in the interest of the league".
Corletto can promote the league by saying these comments as it gets people talking. Who says to promote a product it has to all be about fairies, rainbows and positives. The "bad boy" of a team can sell tickets,jerseys and merchandise just like anyone else, sometimes even better.
How many of you now can't wait for the Breakers to come to town? Who wants to go and watch Corletto get stitched up by Gibbo and dunked on Creek.

Reply #444717 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

well said Sixtiesrockstar, I like that he's stirring.
If anything it'll put some bums on seats in Auckland.

Reply #444719 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You give him far too much credit if you think he is trying to promote the game with his comments.

Reply #444725 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't care what he's trying to do with his comments, that's for him and the Breakers to worry about. I just like that he's stirred everyone up.

Reply #444755 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Trolletto.

Reply #444758 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rockstar, I think there's a point where it's not in the ultimate interest of the game. Trashing refs, as just one example, is dealt with. Here, he's leading a great number of people to consider that there's a conspiracy afoot when there obviously is not.

Call-less-T.O.

Reply #444762 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Here, he's leading a great number of people to consider that there's a conspiracy afoot when there obviously is not."

are you 100% there isn't a conspiracy and what proof do you have???

Reply #444778 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Pretty sure the onus would be on him to prove the conspiracy.

Also, common sense.

Reply #444780 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

common sense is quite a good argument against

Reply #444785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is Corletto on about! Perth were smart enough to realise the changes so weren't fussed about Bevo exploring other opportunities. That opening worked out nicely. Perth won championship out of it but management know in life you must adapt to change.

The greedy Breakers won three titles yet want to keep on playing like last season and cry that it's not working plus they lost key players so how about looking internally instead of at the refs. The gravy train is over.

Reply #444791 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Corletto reckons it's conspiracy, but he's not sure who with. He hasn't got any vinegar on his chips.

Reply #444801 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Isaac in your first comment at start of topic you have highlighted two lines and added speech marks which makes it look like Corletto said that as an actual quote. Any reference about referees and a deliberate ploy has been written by the original author to give his article an angle.
You could say Isaac you have brought the article into disrepute. It shows how media and opinions need to be read very carefully.

"didn't hold back when asked about the new refereeing style, saying it was a deliberate ploy to stop the Breakers' physical game."

A lot of people on this blog would be making a judgement from those two highlighted lines which never came from Corlettos mouth. How many people would of clicked the link and read the full article.

Reply #444808 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

WTactualF?!?!

If you read the line underneath Isaac's supposed misquote, you can see the comment which was attributed to Corletto in the article.

You just brought my brain in to disrepute.

Reply #444811 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Clearly the Wildcats have taken over the NBL administration and instructed them to ensure NZ does not reach the finals.

And also to give us a $3m salary cap.

And a margarita with a little umbrella.

And for Fraser Neill to volunteer as Nick Marvin's personal footstool from time to time.

Reply #444812 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Situation:

Outside of Redhage I never found any Wildcat to be dirty. Physical, yeah, but that's the refs fault not the players. Credit to them for being successful under the rules. What I didn't like was they always seemed to get away with a little more than other teams, but that's because they consistently played like that so the level of contact was normalised. I also think last season they weren't as physical as they were the year before.

To be specific about Redhage, his level of flopping, holding, grappling, crotch shots, elbows, hip checks, eye pokes and undercutting always rubbed me the wrong way. If he was on my team I'd love it.

Reply #444816 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"flopping, holding, grappling,"

Ok, but thats not dirty. The other stuff, I'll just put down to exaggeration for effect.

Reply #444818 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

TheSituation.
Isaac's headline makes reference to complaining about referees.
Read Corletto's ACTUAL quotes in the article and he never mention refereeing. He only mentions Basketball Australia.
The authors own words are "refereeing" "deliberate ploy" "didn't hold back" "wreck the league" "interpretations were not producing pretty basketball" "it was a shame teammates"
The article is written in such a way as to imply Corletto "said" things and put into a context to get a certain angle for the article.

Reply #444820 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

direct quotes from Corletto

"Basketball Australia's (the NBL) brought this in because they don’t want the New Zealand Breakers to win the championship again."

'‘They’re ( NBL) going to make it as hard as possible to do that."

How can you possibly refute the intent of his words.

If indeed you were a true 60's rockstar you wouldnt remember

Reply #444822 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Because Isaac summed it up as "refs", it supposedly makes his comment irrelevant.

Reply #444823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets see if the 3 blind mice on the game fall for the smoke and mirrors

Reply #444825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So going by Corletto's quote he believes in a conspiracy theory involving Basketball Australia who aren't in charge of the league anymore and had no input into the interpretation changes. LOL wow moron.

Reply #444838 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

On Friday we've got right on our side, and they've got the idiot.

Reply #444843 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Just hope Adelaide go in there and smash this has been team. Nothing to like about the current Breakers team, from their comments to Garry Wilkinson being Garry Wilkinson!

Reply #444902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754