Bye Bye Birdie
Years ago

Buckle Sacked as Lightning Coach

Thanks for the past 2 and a half years but when you focus your entire offense on one player its never going to work

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-lightning-sacks-peter-buckle-appoints-richard-dickel-as-new-coach-for-rest-of-wnbl-season/story-fnii09gt-1226759212494

Topic #33112 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Not surprising after last round - that was U-G-L-Y basketball.

But why Dickel?

Reply #444535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Dick' Dickel (Mark's brother) was working as an assistant coach with the 36ers, both clubs share the same admin now but still a surprise neither of the Lightning's assistants got the nod.

Reply #444536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't imagine Simon Pritchard is too happy.

Reply #444544 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Strange time to sack Buckle? Not sure why the Lightning persisted with him for this season. Not sure they'll be too many sad faces in the Lightning change rooms with this decision. I've never been a fan of his coaching style & his dictatorship style of coaching is not the way to deal with the modern day players these days.

Reply #444545 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I read the article and saw the other week that Richard was working with the 36ers, but as you said: why not one of the assistants? The primary coaching staff might be reshuffled mid-way through the seson if the assistants leave.

Anyway, wouldn't being the Lighting coach conflict with Richard's (newly appointed) position at Forestville?

Reply #444546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Private owner syndrome

Reply #444558 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I read this as it is for the rest of the season and not a locked in job. Simon Pritchard would be disappointed not to be given the tap on the shoulder to step up as he is very passionate about his basketball and has been coaching since 15. Malcolm Fraser was the PM back then! He may have been asked but knocked back the car park, can anyone confirm?

There would be a sensible reason behind it and maybe it has something to do with trying to distance themselves and get a new start.

Reply #444565 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

at least now simon has some competition when recruiting players for cabl
will be nice to see forestville compete against the norwood women this year

Reply #444585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Unnecessary language.)

Reply #444595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Dickel employed full time by Forestville?

First the sixers, now the lightning meanwhile another loyal hardworking staff member leaves, coaches look after 3 or 4 teams a week to cover Dickel's failure to find junior coaches and yet we continue to pay him to run our program?

No wonder the junior program is falling apart, Forestville being saved by a venue and location while everything falls apart.

Reply #444600 | Report this post

fubr  
Years ago

So Buckle has been bucked. Might have been something to do with applying for the Bulleen/Melbourne job earlier in the year. But if it is then the club has been a bit slow to act. More likely to have been some player backlash around style , behaviour or comments. Looks like Melbourne made the right choice of coach.

Reply #444608 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

Yeah sure I'd like to see the list..

Can't think of any lightning players Eagles women have recruited or that have left..

Reply #444620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure if Joey gets the boot, either Simon or Tracey will be immediately appointed..

Reply #444632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rebecca Duke for starters, oh that's right you forgot

Reply #444636 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

wow long list..

followed her friend actually to Norwood & Restricted Player rule came into play at the time..

As usual no facts ....

Reply #444641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a bizarre appointment. How about someone loyal to the current program or at least surely there is a South Australian with enough credibility to take the job?

Can't imagine the Forestville parents would be too happy paying full-time fees for a part-time employee!

Reply #444653 | Report this post

Years ago

Under the impression that the 36's Media was handling the Lightning teams media this season, it certainly shouldn't be the coaches job to get more sponsorships and increase crowd attendances. However It appears that its not their job either to promote the Lightning, social media sites are hardly ever updated , checked today last time Twitter was updated was 18th October & Facebook 4th November, if it wasn't for fans comments nobody would have known it was a tv game last week or this week. So don't blame the coach. Was told last year one of the players did both sites and did a great job of it, maybe they need to check if she has any media experience, surely its not that hard to keep fans in the loop. Get out to schools and hand out free tickets. Get to malls, rec centers and the like and hand out 2 for 1 offers , sometimes you have to give tickets away to start getting people interested, or get the girls in the media more , promote the women not just the men.

Reply #444658 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Said on this site before he arrived that he would not be a good long term experience for the club to have.

Even before he started he tried to recruit a player with WNBL and WNBA experience by essentially abusing her current style of play and saying she would only succeed by coming and playing for him and doing exactly what he said.

Between Clarke and Buckle SA has recruited two of the most clueless OZ coaches, neither of whom do much more than $h*t in their own nests once the honeymoon period is over.

For Clarke's families sake I hope he has found his niche back looking after teenagers, I hope Buckle can find a job back teaching, at least that would be stable for his family.

Reply #444664 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I feel the need to clarify ;( , they are both clueless as long term head coaches for adults. As long term assistant coaches who are just expected to do the same hard predictable grind year in and year out for a head coach who is the strategic and tactical thinker of the organisation they are great. As coaches for a team of current or post high-schoolers they are passable. As long as they don't have to identify the talent to recruit themselves or have to have theplayer last more than 3-4 seasons with them.

Harsh, but arguably fair I think

Reply #444667 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #444696 | Report this post

Even Older  
Years ago

Of course 'Very old' I am sure your credentials to pass comment and make an informed judgement are note worthy..

Reply #444735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke gone now Buckle. Exciting times for SA bball ahead!

Reply #444793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My info that ang has played a Hugh part here. Unhappy since Sydney game a few weeks ago . Surprise , surprise !!! It continues to raise its head time and time again.

Reply #444844 | Report this post

Hydra 95  
Years ago

One player not happy, one coach sacked! Simple when the man with the money has a certain somebody playing in the team. Seen this all before, think back people!

Reply #444876 | Report this post

Hydra 95  
Years ago

Ang m has done this before, what ang wants ang gets! Simple!

Reply #444878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not appoint her captain/coach and everything will be fine!

Reply #444880 | Report this post

Callisto 47  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/im-losing-300000-a-year-with-adelaide-lightning-marino/story-e6frecj3-1226018748691

Reply #444882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some district parents pay a couple hundred bucks for their kids to play... Vince pays $300k, whats the difference?

Reply #444883 | Report this post

Hydra 95  
Years ago

Ang would not be playing at this level if it wasn't for her daddy! No team would give her the time of day! She wouldn't even be a starter on a social bball team on a Sunday night at 10pm!

Reply #444892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any truth in the rumor that Simon has quit?

Reply #444961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he has quit,as would most people.

Reply #444973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Simon. As if an assistant would stay on under those circumstances. First his good friend Buckle gets sacked, then they go an appoint a relative nobody in Dickel.

The whole club is a disaster.

Reply #444983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sadly I agree. Nothing appears to have changed from the similar debacle a few years ago.

Reply #445002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daddy owner+ princess daughter on roster= severe embarrassment

Reply #445008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assistants only quit if they don't get the top job in the aftermath. There is no loyalty associated with the decisions.

Reply #445012 | Report this post

Sheesh  
Years ago

Us Waves fans would be quite happy for them to take Kennedy Kareama

Reply #445015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angela im sure has reason to be unhappy with Buckle this time around. I;m not sure about her past behaviour, but Buckle's dictatorship bullying techniques isn't suitable for any environment.

Reply #445101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

012, I disagree. Simon and Buckle are good friends and I cannot imagine Simon would have taken the job after Peter was treated that way.

Reply #445138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What way was buckle treated? He was sacked for underperforming and that's what happens in basketball

Reply #445152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

152, you're kidding right? You must be Angela.

Reply #445187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Buckle was abusive and had little or no respect from any of the playing group

Reply #445189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor form that Simon left. Dummy spit cause he didn't get the job???
Just proves he was there for himself and not for the girls.

Reply #445198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice if the club was there for the girls not just ONE of the girls.

Reply #445227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The club has been a shambles since the Chris Lucas incident.

Reply #445487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to know the true story, Dean Parker looked uncomfortable giving a nothing answer on the ABC after Saturday's game. Something must have happened after the big loss the week before (after beating up West Coast the week before). They were in fourth spot after all!

Reply #445560 | Report this post

Caller 55  
Years ago

Rumour that new assistant coaches of the lightning are from forestville.

York gone

Reply #448323 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

York choose to go or was she sacked

Reply #448343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any names?

Reply #448374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Both Tracy and Mr.Simmons were at training last night.

Reply #448389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interest factor on this is enormous

Reply #448396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lightning to be renamed Eagles and to become the feeder club to Sharon's ABA team. You heard it here first !!!!!!

Reply #448400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754