Swagger
Years ago

Sixers need to flog off cheaper tickets

It's great that for the first time since SOS took the reigns the on court product is of a high standard.

But why is the cheapest ticket $25 plus booking fee? What a joke.

I know the whole argument about not pissing off your season ticket holders etc, but guess what? Most won't care. We want the place packed again, and then you can slowly put prices back up once some of those one offs became regular customers..

Get out to schools and hand out free tickets. Get to malls, rec centers and the like and hand out 2 for 1 offers and make the last two back rows $5 tickets. We need to get this team exposed to more than the usual 4400 that come each week. We need to make a night at the sixers cool again.

We need crowds!

Topic #33115 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Think Silver is $27.50 even. Back rows can be $10-15 rather than $5. Other poorer seats should be under $25. Maybe a discount if you buy a walk-up while wearing a blue Sixers tee. Base tickets are too expensive right now - higher than United.

Reply #444639 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Kings are offering 2 for 1s on shopping dockets.. times are tough

Reply #444649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ticket prices are ridiculous for a product that is not in demand.

Reply #444651 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Two-for-ones are really clever if you do them on some of the more expensive tickets and they require rego so you can get that person on your mailing list.

The Tigers did two-for-one Gold tickets last season at Hisense but were still effectively selling each ticket for about $20. Much better than giving loads of tickets away.

Reply #444655 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Felt the same re: Breakers tickets.

Pre-season games against that CBA team were a like $25 at their cheapest.

To put that in contrast, I went to the Cheifs vs. Brumbies Super Rugby Grand Final in Hamilton for $27.50. (It was standing, but still!)

Reply #444659 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I would like seeing a bronze section in the top half of silver or something. $10 a ticket. And also get the basket ends fuller by dropping to $10.

Reply #444674 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Tickets across all venues are generally too expensive. I don't care if you're the wildcats and packing your stadium out most nights, but everyone else needs to take a look at what they are charging.

25 bucks for preseason tickets in NZ is veeeeery expensive, especially when you adjust for the different consumer price index.

The league needs to gain a sense of self awareness that has been so sorely lacking for so long. You are going to run at a loss anyway if you are most teams. Every penny you pinch by trying to bump a ticket price up or skimp on a roster spot is a short-term gain, long-term pain manoeuvre.

Reply #444680 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

What I think clubs with lots of empty seats should actually do is sell memberships a lot cheaper, rather than reduce single game tickets.

Make buying a membership a no-brainer because you save money, and have a variety that suit the hard-core fans and the casual.

They are then more likely to come to more games, spend more on merch/food etc, and possibly bring people with them especially if you make it easy to buy additional tickets.

Further to that, at games have the prices clearly marked and next to the sellers booth have a membership stall selling 3, 7 and 14-game memberships at the much better rate (eg $55 for three games rather than $27 for a single game ticket).

Then enable local associations to sell memberships from their stadium and take a small percentage. The assoc that sells the most (as a percentage to their overall membership) gets a prize like a full-day caching clinic with the Sixers and a pre-season game which is actually treated as an all-star type contest to put a show on for the club.

Reply #444681 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Yeah if the cheapest is $25, thats just too expensive. Hard to expand a fan base when people would have to pay so much to 'check it out'. No way I would go to a reds game to check it out or tag along with mates who may already be fans for that price!

Reply #444689 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There's so many things that could be done.

As I said in another thread, although it was more specifically what the Crocs could do to improve their pathetic turnouts, there are so many things that can be done. To rehash a few:

Defence personnel all get 2 for 1s.

Have a student night one or two games a year like they do in the NBA where uni students get 2 for 1s in a certain section. This is the exact demographic the league needs to be targeting: young, early adopters who consume lots of merchandise, snacks and beer. On those nights, organise a bus route direct from campus to the stadium.

Donate a section to charity for a whole season. They sell the tickets and that charity gets to keep all the $$$. There are whole sections empty at Townsville's home games. It's not something you would do forever but why not get creative and give it a go for a season? The karma wouldn't hurt a league that is desperate for some divine intervention.

Major sponsor is McDonald's at Townsville, for example. If you work there you get 2 for 1s to every game. Applies to every struggling franchise's major sponsor.

The problem is that most franchises are so shortsighted they don't understand that people who are getting in for free or discount still buy expensive merchandise, drinks, snacks, etc. as well as they will come back and buy full priced tickets if they enjoy the experience.

That's just scratching the surface. Marketing is so poor at pretty much every franchise except for Perth, they just don't understand how you sell stuff.

It's like every CEO just thinks..."if I jack up the prices, and give away no free tickets, it will maximise our profits, right? Meanwhile, if we spend as little as possible on the on-court product, it will keep our overheads low. I'm a genius!"

Reply #444691 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Everything has been said that is needed, but to put it far more clearly for those who don't get it. Parkway Drive sell tickets to shows at about $10-15 at times, they pack out thousands to shows but don't really make money sometimes on the performance few, but they walk away with tens of thousands in merchandise.

Reply #444694 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Your metalcore analogy is correct. The point is that they will build towards charging more when they become a bigger product, and in the meantime they are still viable because metalcore kids, like basketball fans, love merch.

Reply #444695 | Report this post

daneo  
Years ago

Lowering prices mid season will not work because all the season ticket holders will be pissed off.

Reply #444702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swagger, email your idea to the 36ers.

They welcome all feedback

Reply #444703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Email any suggestions to: [email protected] ATTENTION Dean Parker.

All NBL clubs are really listening to the fans now and any suggestions/feedback are taken seriously by the clubs and they like to hear fans thoughts/opinions.

Reply #444704 | Report this post

Swagger  
Years ago

deano - what a timid arguement.

I'm a season ticket holder, I want the place full and viable.

I'm sick of seeing the same people there over the last ten years. Let's get some excitment back in the place.

Reply #444707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agree. Email Dean Parker

Reply #444710 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

This point has been made may times before. In Perth you can buy what they call a "Nickel" ticket for $15 an adult an $5 per child (5-16 years). I would say these tickets would be in the rafters of the stand way out the back. Their "Bronze" is about the price of our Silver.
I don't think Sixers ticketholders would be upset if the back corners were $10-$15 a ticket. As season ticket holder I pay premium to get the seat I want and to get the finals tickets (if we ever get to play them again) in the same seat.
Would like to see the place full and the only way to do that is to entice with cheap seats.

Reply #444713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, agree completely regarding affiliate sales. Give me a cut and I would push NBL ticket sales and so might district clubs.

Reply #444715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure about 7 years ago when I was playing under 14s I picked up a 2 for 1 ticket from hilcrest that anyone could just take on a Friday night. It was the 1st time id been to a Sixers game and I loved it. They were just dodgey seats behind the back board, but I enjoyed it so much I've been back at least 2 games a season. My dad loved it too and he knows NOTHING about basketball. It was when Willy farley was playing and dad loved him. I'm sure Gary Ervin would have the same effect (definitely Ennis would if it was a game against Perth).

Reply #444728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get to a few more games. The 36ers are legit this season!

Reply #444756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

isaac you want another cut from the bball community hey. aren't the ads on here enough?

Reply #444777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nickel only exists in Perth due two factors: close to sellout crowds and the vastness of Perth Arena. They are ultra nosebleed seats. Perth management charge top dollar for everything, make no mistake.

If there were nickel tickeys anywhere else they wouldn't be nosebleeds plus with a non-sellout crowd ppl would buy nickel over silver, laugh, and then move down several sections to the silver or gold seats at the start of each game.

Reply #444836 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

The fact of the matter is however, Perth have a demand for the good seats, and people willing to sit in the nosebleeds. If the 36ers where packing out then they could justify higher prices, but they don't and can't at the moment. Selling 1000-2000 tickets in the upper decks of the arena = revenue they don't have, and will help create a demand. If people are hearing that the games are getting almost sold out, and not with falsified numbers and they can see it on TV, then they will start to come more and guess what, they will pay for the more expensive seats due to the fact the cheap ones are all gone. All of this creates a huge word of mouth effect and will carry over to the following season where you have more season tickets purchased, and can then lower the number of cheap tickets as the demand will be in place.

Reply #445165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Clubs have been offered discounted tickets for the last two seasons, I remember as I was on a committee then, it was set up as a fund raiser for the District Clubs, we were not interested and I was asking in the meeting "why not"
All I can say is that the clubs still carry a lot of baggage from the BASA days. I don't know what that has to do with the last five years of NBL which has been no drain on district basketball

Reply #445191 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754