lloydie
Years ago

Sam Young signs with Sydney Kings

Free agent Sam Young has signed a contract with the Sydney Kings of the National Basketball League in a deal that contains an NBA escape clause, agent Joel Bell told RealGM.

"Sam had other options, but this one made the most sense and will pay him as the highest player in the league," Bell said.

Young can opt out of his deal up until the start of Sydney's playoffs to join an NBA team, a significant provision that swayed the 28-year-old’s decision.

Young played a reserve role for the Indiana Pacers a season ago, averaging 2.8 points and 2.2 rebounds and serving as a defensive stopper against explosive wing players. He signed with the San Antonio Spurs before training camp, but was waived early in preseason.

With Sydney, Young will play under successful Australian coach Shane Heal. A former NBA assistant with the Minnesota Timberwolves and Spurs, Heal is also a shooting coach and is expected to aid in improving Young’s outside jumper.

Young, a 6-foot-6 swingman, has also played with the Memphis Grizzlies and Philadelphia 76ers over his four NBA seasons.

Topic #33118 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is gone? Camouche or Sanders?

Reply #444723 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Right now, I would say Sanders...

Reply #444724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow great signing, assuming true, i also wonder who is gone, my guess is Camouche as Young isnt a pg and they dont really have any Aussie pg to take the reigns from Sanders, so would be surprised if Sanders was cut on team balance.

I also wonder if the tigers will try to get someone with a similar resume at pg to replace Ubaka? anymore to the Luther head rumours from the other day.

If Young does well, the Tigers get Head or a similar star, there will be a quality crop of imports in the NBL this year, which is awesome, and we dont even need a marquee player rule to get them, as i dont think we would get much better than these guys anyway,

Reply #444726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How athletic is he? Can he throw it down like Ennis?

Reply #444727 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I am impressed... NBL is starting to genuinely scalp NBA level players. Flynn, Ennis, Young, Luther Head maybe? .. then there was Stephen Dennis who got injured... Imports are on their way up

Reply #444730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As fringe NBA player as you can get.. sucked for the Spurs in preseason. Also not much of an offensive game, so unlikely to dominate here.

That being said, he's extremely athletic, so hopefully we can get some good highlights out of him.

Reply #444731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

444727 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3hTYkcVt-Q

Reply #444732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true, he will dominate here:

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/sam-young

Reply #444733 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

has 4 years nba experience, nba career averages of 5.8 ppg, 0.7 apg, 2.3 rpg FG% 44%, in 15 min per game, thats pretty decent, guys like Donta Smith and Julius Hodge would probably have had lesser NBA careers.

His college averages senior year in 2009 are 19pts, 1 assists, 6 rebounds at 50% from the field, in 31 mins per game, again many imports who have come here and done well have lesser college credentials than that.

I know there is a big difference from performing well on paper and on the court, but those credentials would be just about the best of any import to come to the NBL in recent years, so ill back him in to do well, may not be MVP but should be decent, id be shocked if he was a downgrade on say Camouche assuming his attitude and work ethic are decent.

Good luck to him, well done to the Kings its great for the NBL i look forward to seeing him play.

Reply #444734 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Moves like this are very good for the NBL. At 28, still time for him to latch on for an NBA playoff run, the fact he decides on our league to stay fit in the mean time, is an immense positive!

Reply #444736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True confirmation of this signing?

Reply #444737 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Has to be a replacement for Sanders. Young is not an elite scorer and if Carmouche goes, who does Heal have left to fill it up? Madgen and Ogilvy?

Don't know about how well team will be run at PG, but man they have some talent now. They can score well down low with Ogilvy, from mid and long range with Carmouche and Madgen and now they are excellent in transition with Young, Hill, Madgen, Carmouche.

Defensively, they are very very solid.

Instant championship contender now. Don't forget Ellis is joining the mix soon.

Reply #444738 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If it is Carmouche leaving, you'd think it would be on the grounds of off-court discipline.

Reply #444739 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

What spot doe Ellis play? PG or swingman? I'd say it would be a replacement for Carmouche (wasn't he brought in only because the Madgen injury?)

Reply #444740 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

omg if it's Sanders who will write his blog "the summer of sanders"?

Reply #444741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody Ellis is a small forward, along the lines of a young Tony Ronaldson

Reply #444742 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The Summer of Sam slots in snicely

Reply #444743 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Ellis is a PF/SF im pretty sure.

From a team balance perspective it would be a bad decision to bring in Young a swing man, for Sanders a PG, when the Kings have no real strong pgs to fill the spot, so would have to be Camouche.

I'd back Young to average the same or more points than Camouche and with Madgen coming back to top form i think they will be fine with there scoring.

A starting group of

Ogilvy (MVP level)
Ellis or Garlepp
Young (potentially MVP level)
Madgen (MVP level when in top form/fitness)
Sanders

Looks very good to me, and fairly well balanced too.

Reply #444744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't help but feel really sorry for whoever out of Sanders and Carmouche is cut. I know it's a cut-throat industry, but it's gotta feel pretty deflating to realise how expendable you are considered as an import, even if you are contributing.

Would think he would replace Carmouche, given they have Madgen (returning) and Harvey to play that scoring role at the 2. A starting 5 of Sanders Madgen Young Hill and Ogilvy would be pretty decent. A fair few mismatch opportunities there

Reply #444745 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sanders hasn't exactly excelled at running the Kings offense.

Reply #444747 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If it's up to Young or Hill to play the four, it would probably be Young.

Reply #444748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is exactly what Sydney have been lacking for years, a "Showtime, dunking, entertaining" athlete.

Well done Sydney

Reply #444749 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Where's Cassie?

Reply #444750 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Also, he's the only one in the league who would be able to go with Ennis. Very important come the crunch.

Reply #444751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young v Ennis would be an awesome match up to watch!!

Reply #444753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring it on!

Have the Kings confirmed...

Reply #444754 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

A definite shame if Carmouche is gone but that's the nature of being an import. With Young,s signing the Kings line up could be,
Sanders,White
Madgen,Harvey
Young,hill
Ellis/garlepp
Ogilvy,allen

Reply #444757 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

sanders just isnt that good, hopefully he got cut.

Reply #444759 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"This is exactly what Sydney have been lacking for years, a "Showtime, dunking, entertaining" athlete."

You mean since Jerai Grant two years ago?

Reply #444760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep

Reply #444761 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If true, I wonder if they've seen their start to the season, the noise Ennis has generated, how Ogilvy/etc have gone and figure this season is worth investing a little more in.

Reply #444763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SMH's basketball section has tweeted about it. Seems to have legs.

Reply #444765 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

from twitter i am tipping both imports are cut to make way for Sam

Reply #444766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep and Boti has confirmed it!!!!

Reply #444767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You mean since Jerai Grant two years ago?"

Grant was a role-player this guy has been an NBA player for years and should dominate like Ennis.

Reply #444769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ this

Reply #444773 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If i was the Kings imports i wouldnt be feeling really good right now. Somebody is sitting on death row!!!

Reply #444774 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Grant was a role-player this guy has been an NBA player for years and should dominate like Flynn did."

fixed?

Reply #444775 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Where did boti say this?

Reply #444779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has been in the league a while, but he honestly has regressed, he's a really shocking shooter. That being said, I'm excited to see him in the nbl and it bodes well for the league's ability to acquire talented imports.

It's reported that heal is going to help him improve his shot as well.

Reply #444783 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I don't think Flynn dominated.

Reply #444786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mystro,

Flynn was one of the best players in the league Top 5 in scoring & assists.

Patty Mills another, leading the league in scoring and Top 5 in assists and had the Tigers top of the ladder when he left for China.

Stick to your Te Rangi is better than Creek stuff!

Reply #444787 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Since when did Heal coach in any form in an nba team?

Reply #444792 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

We have had flynn, ennis, clarke, Dennis (pre injury) now Sam young and possibly Luther Head

the NBA out clause is proving to be a handy little bartering chip, NBL needs to strike while the iron is hot and somehow up the ante on this trend

Reply #444798 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Bigger signing than Ennis. Biggest signing since Flynn, in terms of resume.

Reply #444799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ ricey Heal with his massive ego thinks that while in the NBA when on the bench towel waving that he was actually coaching.

Reply #444800 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Mick, who do you think sydney will cut?

Reply #444802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's up now online at Adelaide Now

Reply #444810 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I very much doubt he stays the full season. With an NBA out someone will pick him up. Unlike Flynn he is a productive NBA player with no lingering injury history.

Not sure what their points situation is but they have way too many small guards. Cut any one of them.

Reply #444813 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Ie. don't cut Carmouche. Sanders is gone. Let one of the scrubs run the point.

Reply #444814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The fact Young is going to be the highest paid player in the league leads to me think both Carmouche & Sanders might need to go.

Both of those guys would be cheap imports, Carmouche fresh out of college and Sanders was only playing in Italy's second-tier league last season.

Reply #444815 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Not so sure Anon. If you look at their roster, unless they are drastically overpaying everyone, I doubt they are anywhere near the cap ceiling.

I always thought Brad Hill was when of the better ballhandlers in the league for his position. Could you test him out at the 1 for a lark? Or is that just a pipe dream? His decision making probably isn't up to par...

Reply #444817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the point Mick, history shows the Kings owners since coming back have had budget rosters and we know Young is going to be the highest paid player in the league, probably even more than Carmouche & Sanders combined.

I think they will just call up Weeks or Armour for the rest of the season to fill the gap plus have Gleeson to return.

Brad Hill's decision making is terrible so doubt he would be a primary ball-handler.

Reply #444819 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No, we don't know that Young will be the highest paid player. His agent said he was but I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

Reply #444824 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's not just about bringing up the ball, a good PG runs the team, gets the players in the right spots and gets the right players the ball at the right time... There's no one else on the Kings roster even close to being able to fill that slot. Weeks has shown that he's a decent back up in the pre-season, and for a few minutes here and there in the regular season, but he shouldn't be getting more than 4-6mins a game under regular circumstances...

Also, if Gleeson comes back (he's played no pre-season games or regular season games, so how long has it been since he's been in the NBL?) that means that Weeks now can't play...

Armour wasn't even up to pre-season quality, with Weeks getting extended minutes at that position...

Reply #444826 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I really don't recall Flynn dominating ... admittedly, I didn't have nbl tv last year so I didn't really see him outside of that time we kidnapped the referees, but I really don't recall him dominating at all. Great player, but not a dominant player.

Reply #444827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He didn't dominate, but was one of the best players in the league last season.

Reply #444828 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

lol. young wont be the highest paid in the league..

and as for Young a bigger signing then Ennis.. hold your horses.. Ennis is a player who a top NBA team actually wants and have future plans for... Young? not so much...

Reply #444830 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

@GuesswhosBACK How many years has Ennis played in the NBA?

Reply #444833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Young has had nba experience unlike Ennis and produced. However more limited offensively. Should be able to penetrate at will in the nbl will be interesting to see how he shoots as sydney needs shooting

Reply #444834 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Should be a good signing. Given Sydney has historically, at least by NBL standards, been a "glamour club" it's been a little jarring in recent years to see guys like Kevin White on the team.

Reply #444835 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think this is a little bit of a marketing stunt by Sydney as well as a good move.

Reply #444839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marketing stunt? What to look unprofessional?

More like the agent shot his mouth off about the signing before the Kings wanted him to, after the game when import x has been released.

Reply #444841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

***Breaking News***

Shane Heal to come out of retirement again to player coach the Sydney Kings after sacking both imports.

New import Sam Young was heard to say, "it is a dream come true to play with Shane Heal he was my hero growing up"

Heal is expected to try and turn Brad Hill into a point guard in a repeat of his previous experiment with Joe Ingles at the South Dragons.

Reply #444842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@GuesswhosBACK you get way too excited about Ennis (and any Sudanese players for that matter). Ennis might not even make the NBA and even if he does there is no guarantee he will have a better career than Young.

There was a reason Ennis was the 50th pick. Go and see how many players in the last decade who were the 50th pick or worse went on to a decent career in the NBA. Out of the 90 players, it would only be a handful of players. Will Ennis be one of those players? Only time will tell but the odds are low.

Reply #444845 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Monta Ellis, Luis Scola, Marc Gasol, Mo Williams, Ramon Sessions, Ryan Gomes

Reply #444847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Young YouTube Highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAGKK1zk55o

Worth a watch. Looks to be much more athletic then I thought he was.

Reply #444849 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Oh yeah, Trevor Ariza and Leon Powe come to mind as well.

Reply #444850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Parker 28th
Monta Ellis 40th
Trevor Ariza 43rd
Mo Williams 47th
Leon Powe 49th

50+

Ryan Gomes 50th
Ramon Sessions 56th
Luis Scola 56th
Manu Ginobili 57th
Marc Gasol 58th

Marcin Gortat 57th is another one.

So out of the 50+ draft picks, 4 are European stars and the other 2 are American. As I said the chances for him are low but I hope he makes it.

Reply #444851 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Sacramentos Isiah Thomas was the 60th

I think both imports are gone and DeLeon is soon to be anounced or Corin Henry is back.

Reply #444854 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ That would be one of the most staggering pieces of ruthlessness we've seen in Australian sport for quite a while...

Reply #444855 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Young's agent must be off his nut! Here's hoping Bell get's sacked for being unprofessional.

I could see Carmouche, White, Hill and to a much lesser extent Madgen splitting time at point. It's not ideal, but if Carmouche continues his good shooting form, Madgen continues to recover and Ogilvy maintains his ridiculous efficiency, Young could really compliment these guys at the 3 - which is currently their weakness position-wise.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Carmouche go. Not because of his form, but because Sanders is surely providing exactly what Shane Heal has expected of him and is a great fit to his style of play. Also, they do struggle with executing the game plan without Sanders on the floor.

Both imports being sacked would be COLD BLOODED!

Reply #444858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#851 you forgot GOAT Patty Mills taken at #55 ;)

Reply #444859 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

This is a pro league not an Under 12 kids team. Decisions need to be made based on what's best for the teams W/L record. Imagine a team of:
Ogilvy
Garlepp
Young
Madden
Henry or DeLeon

Reply #444869 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Jesse Sanders was let go.. looked at the article.

Reply #444872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea the article on smh.com.au says it was Sanders, wow, im surprised, who is gonna run pg?, maybe they really have let go both imports and also have a pg on the way.

Reply #444875 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Hopefully this brings in the crowds. Ennis vs Young great match up 11,500 plus next week hopefully.

Reply #444877 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I wouldn't knock back seeing Jerai Grant (not Malcolm) back in this league... Defensive threat and could really throw it down!

Carmouche could get another gig in this league if he has been cut as he was a scorer and we have seen worse!

Reply #444879 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I would agree with anonymous... there has to be a point guard in the midst that is maybe just a week or 2 behind. Looks like they are replacing 2 budget imports for 2 prime time ones. And about time too... Sydney isn't like the regional towns who get behind seeing the fighting underdogs, they want to see stars, flashy stuff.. and they might have it soon.

Reply #444889 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

this is exciting!

Reply #444922 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

That's great to see a player of Sam Youngs in the NBL.

I think the kings are still really weak at the 4 spot, the 1, 2 5 & and now 3 seem solid but the 4 seems especially weak

Reply #444923 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

^ Ellis should fix that.

Reply #444924 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

If they dont have another pg coming in and Young is replacing Sanders they are now week in pg.

Im assuming they have someone waiting in the wings to play pg, not sure who it would be? Dante Exum? another import to replace Camouche?

Reply #444925 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I hope they're not relying on Gleeson coming in and running the team... He'd be the only player that is yet to come in... We've already got 11 rostered players, so when Ellis comes back that means Allen will be sitting out and we'll be light on at the 5 but deeper at the 2-4 and INCREDIBLY light on at the 1...

I guess it will just be a "each for their own" once they manage to get the ball out of the backcourt...

Reply #444954 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

This from Sanders' twitter in response to someone just a couple of days ago: "everything is great for me man. Very professional organization here and the people are great. Thankful to be a Sydney King!"

Wondering if he feels the same way now, especially as the Kings seem to have gone to ground ever since Young's agent spoke to the media.

Reply #444960 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Could work really well, but this definitely has the potential to be an outrageously unbalanced team.

Reply #444963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Young has arrived in Sydney, interesting spectator at the Kings/Crocs game tonight!

Reply #445027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Sanders is the more important piece to the team - would be real hard to replace his hustle

Reply #445123 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing watching the game tonight. Madgen, Young and Harvey can cover what Carmouche brings, Sanders is pretty unique on the roster.

Still, Heal understands his team pretty well so Im willing to wait and see what he's got up his sleeve.

Reply #445125 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

BTW, is it seven games you need to qualify for the playoffs? Sanders has exactly that many and Young reportedly has an out up to the playoffs. We may see Sanders again if he doesnt have another gig and Young leaves.

Reply #445127 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

The post game telecast of tonight's game left me with little doubt as to which import is to make way for Young.

Reply #445131 | Report this post

Playmakermo  
Years ago

Agreed, Paul. Sanders brings more to the Kings than Carmiuche does.

Reply #445132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't you know Paul? 7 games?,6? 8? I thought you knew your stuff.

Reply #445134 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

In all honesty, I'd take Sanders over one of the Taipans imports.

Reply #445136 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Don't you know Paul? 7 games?,6? 8? I thought you knew your stuff."

That's ok buddy, you were wrong. Does anyone know the figure, seven sticks in my memory from last year but not sure.

Reply #445156 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer.. are you talking Mccamey.. or "demetrius" as carfino likes to say?

Reply #445160 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha 'Demetrius', f*** Carfino is an idiot sometimes...most times.

I really don't know. McCamey is too passive and doesn't have his head right--something that I actually noticed in the preseason, and was confirmed against Perth the other night. But then, Wilson doesn't seem to run the team as effectively as I would like and is not great in transition. He does give more effort and intensity than McCamey though, which is something the team really needs desperately--they need to try harder! That decent perimeter defense of Sanders wouldn't hurt either. We get burned on the perimeter a fair bit and Sanders would help with man coverage ane communication. I just want something to change!

Reply #445161 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I had higher expectations of Maccamey before the season, apparently he was unlucky to miss out on a draft pick.. but see him play, hes pretty average.. I don't think he is any better then your average NBL player and more so, I think he is under par for this years Imports and probably should get the flick.

I agree with Jamar, sometimes hes good.. othertimes.. kind of sucks. Cairns could do with switching their imports up. I would pick up sanders and An NBA guy for that team and then they would be legitimate.

Shame bout Sanders, good guy. And if he were an Aussie.. he would have a 10 year career in this league easy.

Reply #445162 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, but there are thousands and thousands of Americans who fit that category.

Reply #445163 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Guess, in fairness to McCamey, he has been very passive, not untalented. He can actually get to the cup/middle area at will but is simply not putting up shots, instead opting for the pass.

Dimers don't look as good as scorers to the average watcher, but are just as important. McCamey is stuck somewhere in between being a scorer and disher, because he doesn't adequately keep the ball moving in their halfcourt sets, yet he doesn't take near enough shots. It seems as though he has to make up his mind whether each touch should be a pass or shot. I may even put that down to bad coaching. McCamey needs a sole objective when on the court. He should just start by shooting and being a scorer because he is incredibly capable.

Reply #445167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, it was seven games back when the Sixers replaced Hodge with Grizzard not sure about now.

They had to sign Grizzard quick so he could play the last 7 games of the regular season to qualify for the playoffs in 08/09.

Reply #445174 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Do a lot of travel calls get missed in the NBL? I thought there were a few times where players shuffled their feet and it didn't get called. I don't play the game so I could be wrong.

Reply #445193 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

^ Wrong thread.

Reply #445194 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:40 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754