kev
Years ago

Wildcats v Tiapans - An open letter to Mal Cooper

Dear Mr Cooper,
The three referess in the Cats/Taipans game last night were good bar one. Mr Lyons and Mr Bull (usually adhereing to the Campbell School of Reffing. LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME!!)were quite good and consistent. I dont know name of the third ref,so lets call him Mr Block.
Please sit down with Mr Block and open the rule to book to the section defining charge/block calls. Read this section word for word slowly to Mr Block. Then close the book and get him to tell you the definition. He screwed up at least 2 block/charge calls last night and he knew it. Also he made some questionable calls on Tom Jervis and his shot block and then a reaching foul that Mr Block somehow saw through at least 1 body.
Please consider this a fans view. I know there was probably 10,000 others that agree with me.

Topic #33121 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto get out of here

Reply #444927 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Agree with kev. Geirsch is a terrible ref.

Reply #444928 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

such complaining is bringing the league into disrepute, please keep your comments to yourself Daryl.

Reply #444929 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

Mystro, "not sure if your serious or taking the piss out of Coreletto"

When the refs make bad calls like these, it makes the game crap. he also had it in for Redhage too for some reason.

Reply #444930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gee shoot the guy he made 3 mistakes how dare he

Reply #444932 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that sounds like some kind of conspiracy to stop the Wildcats securing another title?

sounds super dodgy, if only a senior player would come out publicly and say so.

Reply #444933 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

How about you read it as "feedback" from a life long NBL supporter and not a ref bashing exercise?

I wrote it this way for pure entertainment. cos it would be boring other wise.

Also, while im here, "whats the deal" with those 4 guys who dress in red head to toe and run around. are they a wildcats endorsed thing or are they just 4 guys who thought "yeah, that sounds cool"

Reply #444934 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The guys in the red morph suits have been there since game 1 of last season. Due to fan feedback, they put them in red boxer shorts from game 2 onwards!

Reply #444936 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Johnny Flynn would have been on the wildcats side in the press conference after that game.

How did the Taipans have 0 fouls with a couple minutes to go in the last quarter?

Their protection shot them in the foot when they had to deploy unsportsman like foul foul foul tactics to get them into the bonus.

Reply #444937 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

There was nothing unsportsmanlike about those tactics. Its part of the game and credit to Fearne for recognising that they needed to foul before it was too late.

Not sure why they never forced the Cats to the line though after going to that effort though.

Reply #444940 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Id rather have it ridiculed on a forum than by a guy who is in the league!

Reply #444946 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

I think Fearne thought they still had a faint chance when they were down 7 with a little over a minute to go. After Knight his ill-advised mid-range jumper, and Cairns came up empty on their next possession it was 9 points with under 30 seconds to play, and I imagine Fearne (rightly) called off the dogs at that point because the game was over.

Knight really should have just killed another second or two off the clock and taken the foul that was coming, but he made the shot, so it worked out for him.

Reply #444951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is it i see no one on here complaining about the most obvious travel of the year so far on a James Ennis dunk. All three refs missed that one. My nine year old called it straight up.

Reply #444962 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^

"Showtime"

No doubt we paid for that break with some of the other offensive calls we copped.

Reply #444964 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

You can't really criticise a player for flopping when the refs get super-excited to make the charge call with all their enthusiasm they can muster, even when its completely wrong.

Reply #444966 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

Kev, Mr Cooper was actually at the game last night.

Does anyone really what the travel called when there is no defence? guarantee that made the news highlights and hopefully keep a few casual bball fans coming back in the door. Different if he beats the defence

Alex, at the same time in the last 1/4 Cats only had 3 fouls, one offensive on Beal, redhage with brain fade whack to the head of Weigh, and a questionable call for jervis 5th foul. Hardly like the cats were getting screwed.

Reply #444972 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Tactical yes, sportsman like no.

It was a horrible way to end an otherwise good game, accept your defeat and move on.

Oh wait Cairns on a losing streak have decided to revert to their previous game plan of play as boring basketball as possible.

Is Fearne still on contract after this season? He shouldn't be.
This Cairns team should be top 4, if not top 2, but I doubt they will make they playoffs the way the have been going the last few weeks.
Give the Head Coaching gig to Downer, he is the scouting master anyway.

Reply #444982 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"It was a horrible way to end an otherwise good game, accept your defeat and move on."

But they hadn't lost yet; the game was far from over. The tactic was that if they wanted to foul to put the Cats to the line, they needed to be in the penalty. They weren't with just under two minutes left so they gave up three quick fouls. I have no issue with that at all.

Reply #444985 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

My livestream was too grainy for me to comment on the foul calling, but the Perth commentators (Ellis and ?) certainly gave the impression that Cairns were getting the harsh end of the calls. Perth too good anyway, but good to see some Taipan fight.

Reply #444990 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

Yeah i saw the travel by Ennis. I also thought the cats played the best offence they have all year in the first half except for the last few mins of Q2. It was good to watch the spacing and the efficency that was in the offensive set. Second half was another story. i think cairns upped the D and it was noticeable.

Reply #444993 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754