Hoops Packer
Years ago

Referees in south australia

I was out at a stadium last night and witnessed some great refereeing and some
Poor refereeing. There doesn't seem to be many good ones coming through. Who is good that is coming through and what do people like most about refereeing. I hear lots coaches complain about consistency and communication.

Topic #33131 | Report this topic

catching fire  
Years ago

lot of inexperience out there.

i have always maintained that kids should never ref older age groups than what they are due to levels of intimidation that i have witnessed.

interpretation never ceases to amaze me - just because there is contact doesn't mean defence is wrong - have a look at the D - were they in an illegal stance ? y/n ? if no the defence is legal and should be rewarded.

ref should manage to the skill / game level - i would expect u18 d1 be reffed differently than u12 D3

Reply #445212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of inexperience and zero quality education.

It's only going to continue to get worse.

Reply #445219 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

it is just all half arsed - random calls by kids that dont know the game put in charge of kids that dont know how to play

Reply #445239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair call ref...

Reply #445255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watch this..........

http://youtu.be/3-Z9bdIsxHE

Reply #445259 | Report this post

Hoops Packer  
Years ago

Who is the referee in this video?

Reply #445272 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I think the Court Supervisors need to be more diligent in supporting and educating these young refs in SA. It is difficult to remain quiet when calls are incorrect and inconsistent. We should not have to feel grateful that someone is doing what they are employed to do. It should be expected that they do so. We still all have to consider the refs especially those new to the job, but what about the 20 players, coaches, team managers and parents also volunteering their time and not receiving any renumeration just a large invoice to pay and door fees. Do they not deserve to expect that if a ref is not performing or misinterpreting and applying rules incorrectly no matter what age that the 'responsible, knowledgable and paid employee, court supervisor and so on' should be working towards the betterment of the game for more than just 2 refs. No one is doing any service to those refs who need educating by allowing them to continue making poor applications of the rules. It is not in anyones best interest to perform a task poorly in any aspect of life. In fact the refs are the ones being neglected by their employer for failure to provide on going education. For the good of the game, please, please, please BSA support the thousands of players who work hard to play by the rules by supporting the refs you employ rather than patronising them by not acknowledging their need to improve...... that would be playing fair,,, for everyone.....

Reply #445276 | Report this post

ymous  
Years ago

Fair enough, its wayville and forestville get to go to the free throw line. Fair enough ref that moving screen with shoulder and elbows wasn't illegal. Fair enough ref I know the camping 8 seconds isn't really three seconds in the key. Fair enough ref I know the arm pulling from behind while I'm on a fast break isn't really unsportsman like.

Reply #445280 | Report this post

Harry Hopeless  
Years ago

Talk about jobs for the boys, or should I say girl! In her opinion nobody is good enough, except maybe one person.

Reply #445297 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some sports have absolutely no issues with referees or umpires, like Netball for instance, but who wants to watch a sport where the whistle blows every 2 seconds for no apparent reason whatsoever?

Football, rugby, soccer and basketball officials cop plenty of flak, it isn't just isolated to hoops, it is a cultural acceptance linked to a level of tolerance we are having to cope with in a spot where tolerance is less accepted than on the football field.

I would put the blame totally on the organisations and associations in charge of the game, if they were serious about sorting out the issue of referee bullying and lifting the standard, they would put the money and training in at the level required.

They would also start to pick off those nasty people yelling abuse and kick them out of stadiums, problem solved...

Reply #445303 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

...sport where tolerance...

Reply #445304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson needs to get his head out of the sand and accept that refereeing is in a perilous state.
It has not shown great improvement due to 'positive reinforcement' as his annual report indicates...that's just blowing smoke up their butts

look for no further to illustrate how low umpiring stocks have dropped than a green shirt umpiring an U-16 Girls Div 1 game on Friday night..at least he was handy to blow the whistle for those jump balls

Reply #445309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i only play social bball but the thing i hate is the guys who know what they are doing , and play the game how it is meant to be played get penalised more than players who have no idea what they are doing. refs are watching the ball and when a player makes an genuine attempt at the ball they get called for most of the times its there and sometimes its not. but the players who run around putting their arms across players in off the ball situations , shepard off the ball , reach across the dribblers forearms when they are dribbling , place the palm of their hands on the dribbler as he is driving and my pet hate , move under the basket with their palms or forearms into someones back in the rebound contest hardly ever get called for that stuff. not to mention every now and then you come up against a player who when you stand in front of him to defend him will smash his head into your chest repeatedly until the refs call a foul on the defender whose only movement is trying to hold their position despite the beating they are copping. one time i complained just to be told by the ref it was the players "natural movement" ? lol wtf? that doesnt make it legal.

this is all very very simple stuff that frustrates the hell out of me.

anyway , i got tech fouled (and had to sit down for 5mins) last game for the first time in 15 years of playing bball because i turned to the ref after a foul and said i went straight up. didnt yell it either just stated it. crazy. i love playing the game but the refs are ruining many games for me.

Reply #445311 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Exactly. How are underskilled players going to learn if they are not corrected at any age by application of the rules. It is in basketballs interest for everyone apart from U10 to be called the same with the same rules. It is about good court supervision from BSA for the refs. It is not being mean, but educating rather than patronising. Like the kids who go on talent shows when parents and friends tell them they are amazing and then find out the hard way that they just can't sing. You can either ignore it or get them some lessons, but the conversation must start. You can still be positive and teach at the same time. Start with ' I really like the way that you are trying to control the game by picking up fouls. Just remember that it is not a foul though if .......... . Next time you speak compliment on that aspect if it improves and then add another level. Okay, now you have the fouls under control, how about we add calling of offensive 3 seconds in the key. Each game can be built upon. A weekly round up review from the Court Supervisors to all the refs on things well done via email builds a team and consistency, rule clarifications and then what are we going to work on next week. Open up communication and follow up. Instil confidence in ref to ref so they do not overcall each other as they will be on the same page. Please Please for the good of the game and all those in basketball..... Keep this great sport alive and expanding....

Reply #445320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey social player,which stadium you play.

Reply #445325 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

I watched 2 games last Friday,many things i noticed

No three seconds called.
Lot of soft fouls called,missed some hard calls in 3rd
UIC was texting his friends instead of watching games
Both games played zone,should the UIC tell teams to play man to man.

UIC needs to be active watching and going out there and communicating with referees than chatting with girls.

Referee at that stadium wasnt great all teams had a go at referees surprising no tech fouls.in my view(sitting)should have been two tech fouls as coach entered court without referrees permission.

Reply #445326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Game on Saturday ref called southerner ball then gave it to centrals boy and the passed in and ran down the court for a lay up.

Ref didn't stop or called it back and just allowed.

Most amazing ref sequence ever. Or maybe it was the ref that called a foul on the player who was on the bench (another game). Then argued afterwards when clearly the player was still sitting on the bench.

Or the ref that allowed four steps and said the body moved that far but not the feet. After three game a parent who recorded the game showed her to which she said she still wasn't wrong.

The trouble are refs are unaccountable. They think cause they have a whistle they are never wrong and get on power trips.

Reply #445384 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

What about having a ref sitting on top of a podium overseeing the whole game like in tennis......... Easier to see what is going on all over the court if away from the action......That would be hilarious but might work.... you never know... and then players wouldn't run into refs....

Reply #445387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anything actually being done by BSA to change this decline?

Has anyone seen their structure of referee training and development? Do they even have one?

From what I've seen if you offer you'll get games and without any training or direction just keep moving up the ranks because you're willing. Is that really a model which will develop good work ethics and accountability?

Reply #445392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA have done nothing in developing referees if iu record gme they really dont care if they are right or wrong. You only see juniors do it not many adults doing district games.its pocket money for their friday night social activity after basketball.

I heard one referee say if coach argue with me at the end of the game ...just walk away and go and hide til next game ,the coaches go to the UIC but it doesnt change the game.

Ive seen Victorian officials are very good they are trained as they know where to watch areas etc

Reply #445398 | Report this post

Hoops Packer  
Years ago

Observer which stadium were you at Friday night? The one where the court supervisor was texting his friends?

Reply #445454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My biggest beef is when you get two green shirts reffing the game and there is a grey shirt ref sitting on the sidelines. The game I watched the two green shirts did their best but received no support from the Court supervisor.

Reply #445505 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754