Noah
Years ago

Is it time yet for Breakers Coach to go?

So....three peat champs currently 2 wins 7 loses. How many more loses before the coach should go? OR is this record forgiveable after loosing their point guard and Dillon? How many more loses can the coach sustain?

Topic #33132 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

2-6

Reply #445201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

If they were getting blown out then maybe there would be more of a case to answer but they went down by 1 on the buzzer against the 2cnd place team with a lot of talent across all positions

Reply #445204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losses have been by 1,3,3,7,10 and 13, could easily be 6-2 instead of 2-6 but wins better start coming soon!

Reply #445207 | Report this post

Noah  
Years ago

Yes very close game. I can understand if they breakers were down and they came from behind and lost by 1, but last night they were up by 3 with 4 seconds to go and then lost - poor coaching tactics? Def hope they get their season back on track, otherwise it's going to be a long season for the fans and the coach....

Reply #445208 | Report this post

crusty  
Years ago

Beware, the material is there and they may not win it all this year but will disturb some of the contenders dreams. I like their coach!

Reply #445210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mail tells me a phone call to Bevo will happen again if things doesn't change in the next couple weeks.

Reply #445211 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I was going to ask who would they replace him with as I thought Henare was not worth the risk yet for top job and is Vickerman on a 3 year deal?

3 year deal paid out seems really wasteful and whilst Vickerman seems very calm, is he too calm or can he scream and shout like the rest of us and be worth persisting with?

Reply #445230 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

A new coach isn't going to help NZ. They've done their dash now need to rebuild. No surprises at all with their current position on the ladder.

Reply #445242 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

No need to sack the coach, no coach could get a title out of that roster. Cj is done, and they have horrible imports, Vickerman didnt inherit last seasons champs, not by a long way.

Reply #445247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS the guy has coached 8 games in his career. 3 short years ago when the Breakers missed the playoffs with Penney, Rickert, Ronaldson, a younger CJ, Braswell etc everyone wanted Lemanis, a guy you now everyone calls a 'super coach' gone. Give Vickerman a chance

Reply #445252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ps sorry about that last sentence! Im sure you know what I mean

Reply #445254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If i were an opposing fan, i'd be afraid of the Breakers. Playing shit defence and still hanging in games and not getting smashed, once they click, BE AFRAID!

Reply #445273 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kobe24,

Look at Johnson's stats. He is far from a terrible import. Geez talk about being harsh on the guy.

Reply #445282 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I absolutely hate (or respect) the New Zealand Breakers and when they come into Perth Arena whether they are in the top 4 or seemingly well out of contention, I know I'm still gonna scream my heart out and boo the hell out of them (at the charity stripe) and I'm sure they will just laugh it off and enjoy the atmosphere

Reply #445287 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

fickle fans the new zealanders.. a bad start and crowds drop off and everyone wants to sack the coach. Atleast Adelaide showed some loyalty for a few seasons before throwing its weight around and demanding changes. No its not the same roster of last year, but you know what.. the 1993 champ melb tigers started woefully and mid season picked it up then won the whole thing.

As for CJ being done... I wouldnt underestimate his effect on the team by any stretch.. even at his ripe age there is no one in the league more poised, no one you can count on for a steadying mindful play then CJ Bruton.. he will retire at seasons end.. but by no means is he the walking dead on court..

Anyways. Sure, NZ probably wont win the title this year.. playing feild has levelled.. but is that a reason for breakers fans to just drop the team.. and a reason to drop the coach?... No.... Atleast attempt to build a new dynasty... even if you had last years team.. everyones a year older... you probably aren't meant to get past perth and adelaide this year anyway. deal with it and support your franchise.

Reply #445291 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Last season we won games we had no right to win and this season those games are going the other way. Shit happens.

CJ's experience is about all he's got at the moment, his game appears to have left the building. Without him tho I doubt we would have won 1 championship let alone 3 in a row.

Reply #445294 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Changing the coach at this point of the season won't change the breakers fortunes imo, I would at least let him see out the season. Johnson is ok but not in Cedric jackson's class. The Lazare for Wilkinson change over isn't reaping benefits just yet. Bruton is on his last legs, vukona can't stay out of foul trouble and Cornetto is just crap. Definitely not the coaches fault. In this league you can go from top to bottom and vice versa very quickly just look at Adelaide.

Reply #445295 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Has Vickerman trotted out Marty Clarke's "its not about wins or losses" line yet? If he does THEN the Breakers are in trouble.

NZ could easily have been 2-0 instead of 0-2 against the 36ers, so they aren't far away really.

Reply #445353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SACK VICKERMAN thread? Good to see this from the outside.

Reply #445442 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

When you look at it, the Breakers aren't playing that badly, though it doesn't look like it with a 2-6 record.

For and Against for the NBL teams so far this season are (in order, most points scored first):

Adelaide: 721 - 709 (8 games)
NZ: 712 - 720 (8 games)
Perth: 668 - 572 (8 games)
Cairns: 586 - 612 (7 games)
Melbourne: 575 - 552 (7 games)
Sydney: 573 - 568 (7 games)
Wollongong: 537 - 624 (7 games)
Townsville: 511 - 526 (6 games)

That reads that the Breakers have lost their 6 games by an average of only 1.33 points per loss. Sure they were winning those games in the past 3 or 4 years and for now they aren't. But they aren't getting blown away either.

In saying all that though.....Vickerman would be under some pressure.

Reply #445452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I Think Vickerman should rethink about his use of Bruton playing the whole last quarter don't think this works maybe go back to playing minimal minutes like 3 or 4 minutes

Reply #445453 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree anon. I thought Corey Webster should have been playing down the stretch as he was playing very well. He is also their best guy using the on-ball and I reckon Vickerman needs to trust him a bit more.

I would actually start Bruton, Johnson, Abercrombie, Vukona and Pledger. That defensive line-up that can cover better for Bruton who is leaking on D, and also CJ's cool head can help Johnson run the team.

Reply #445460 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Maybe if they weren't giving the opposition that many more FTs they'd be winning by 3 instead of losing by 3?

Also, how, with how inconsistent Ervin is at the FT line do they pick THAT time not to foul someone?

Either way, it's disappointing, if not completely surprising, that NZ crowd numbers are dropping off... they were very bandwagon to begin with and only because they kept winning did the numbers keep turning up... It's easy as a team to make the most of good crowds when you're winning but when you're not is the real test...

Reply #445480 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Friday nights attendance of 7,470 at Vector wasn't a crowd drop off....it was about 3k more than I thought would be there, and was more than the 6,625 that turned up to last see the Breakers take on the 36ers at Vector in Rd.2 last year.

The loss might not help future attendances though. Time will tell.

Reply #445628 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754