Anonymous
Years ago

Breaking down shell drill (Denial drills)

Hi all,

First of all to the coaches out there, in your opinion what is the best way to teach shell drill or basic team defense to start out? (U-12-U14 age group)

Before doing the typical 4 on 4 shell and teaching rotations, I want to break it down by doing a 1 pass away denial drill so they become more comfortable with it.

I find if I split them up and have to watch two groups they tend to not do it properly, where as if I just run a drill with 2 players at a time I can keep an eye on everyone. But that would mean 7 kids are waiting for their turn, but I feel the drill wouldn't be as messy that way and the ones watching could learn.

Does anybody know of any good denial drills that aren't flat out boring and don't force the kids to stand around waiting their turn? Is it even that bad to have some drills where they have to watch and wait their turn?

Topic #33133 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get them into 3's and run 3v3-
I use this for offensive and defensive concepts and it works really well

Reply #445215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3on3 Beltramo defense drill

Its basically shell drill with a live component and the coach is the fourth offensive player and plays in the wing spot one side.
Offense can lead cut and replace coach starts with the ball and when the coach has it its basically shell drill denier, hi help, lo help. The coach can test split will help by dribbling to the block and creating rotation, test close outs by skipping the ball. When players have the ball its basically 3on3 live, if the coach wants the ball back clap for it. Once a shot goes up its live 3on3 to the other basket and as they are finishing at the other end the next 6 are setting up.

Reply #445218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it fine to run some drills where the players sit out?

I really want to nail down denial defense which would only involve two players at a time while the others watch, but I feel this way I can teach them all at once and they can watch what their team mates do and learn from the mistakes.

Would this be ok?

Reply #445432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754