Anonymous
Years ago

SA Coaching Directors and JDO's

So I was at MARS last night as a neutral spectator and noticed Michael Rogers the Norwood Coaching Director and JDO walking around.
What are his qualifications, and background?
And what are the other Coaching Directors around SA qualifications and how would we rank them from best to worst?

Topic #33138 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

Neutral, yeah sure. Panthers and Tigers on the prowl. Axes to grind???

Reply #445277 | Report this post

Years ago

Explain

Reply #445278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rogers was a disgrace on Tuesday night at U23's and the committee at Norwood should do something about him. Suspend him for a few weeks or as he is a full time staff member 1st warning for bring the club into disrepute. Embarrassed to be apart of Norwood with him in charge. First class loser MR.

Reply #445281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

138, what a stupid post.

281, don't embarrass yourself by pretending to be a part of Norwood.

Reply #445283 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

283 said it all ^

281, I think you'll find that actually, YOU are the disgrace. If you really were a Norwood person, why not lodge a complaint to the club instead of bitching and taking cheap shots on a forum?

That 23's game should've been handled better by everyone, ESPECIALLY the referees AND the referee in charge. It's all well and good to issue a statement to the coaches about how to communicate with the referees, but how about sending it to your own referees as well?

Reply #445310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Forestville people are happy with their choice now being elevated to head coach of the Lightning. Seems they picked the right person

Reply #445312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish the tigers would get a JDO! As for coaching director well he has gone and from what I hear they have a real good replacement!

Reply #445327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who replacing who at Southern?

Reply #445373 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Rogers was a disgrace on Tuesday night at U23's and the committee at Norwood should do something about him. Suspend him for a few weeks or as he is a full time staff member 1st warning for bring the club into disrepute. Embarrassed to be apart of Norwood with him in charge. First class loser MR."

So, why was his behaviour a disgrace?

Reply #445408 | Report this post

FYI

Head referee apologised to MR post game for the game refs poor form

MR politely asked for a discussion during a time out, for which the tech first was for.

Reply #445416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Head referee did not. Head referee was arguing all the way to the front door. Another senior ref apologised.

Reply #445424 | Report this post

Head referee stuffed up by passing on to the basketball community the latest (be nice to refs) memo. He forgot to pass it onto his own refs.
U23 head ref apologised, later head ref agreed he was wrong for not passing it on to the refs as well.

If titles are incorrect then I apologise.

7 tech fouls against one team is a disgraceful ref, not a disgraceful team/coach.

Reply #445426 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

7 techs would just about be an abandonment ?

Reply #445430 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

if the performance of the Norwood junior program and quality of coaching is anything to go by then quite obviously MR has enough problems .
I hear he is moving on anyway .

Reply #445438 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Where is he going? SA Country gig?

Reply #445447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Intriguing that 2 weeks in a row MR complained to the head referee. And both times he got sent packing! From what I saw from last Tuesdays incident, MR go tossed, then made a big song and dance trying to find the head referee. With 7 technical fouls in the game, surely there is something else to this other than the refereeing was poor? Norwood must have done something to warrant them?

Reply #445456 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Classic anonymous poster getting facts incorrect ^

I also attended the game the previous week and Rogers certainly did not complain to the head referee and was certainly not sent packing. Clue up or get out. Idiot.

Reply #445606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AK-47 is correct, I was there also.

Norwood's new ABL coach was the one who was thrown out the week before and he was only there as a spectator.

His behaviour left a lot to be desired.

What is going on at Norwood? Is anybody going to sort these people out?

Reply #445608 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

"His behaviour left a lot to be desired"

Are you sure you were there anonymous? Cooper calmly called out to the ref as he ran past "How was that not a travel?" and the referee went ahead a ejected two other spectators. Cooper told the referee that it was him that made the comment but when the referee continued to demand the other two spectators leave, Cooper walked himself and went and sat in the stands.

The other referee apologised immediately and the referee in question apologised to the two spectators after the game. I fail to see how you could question Cooper's behaviour when you clearly did not hear the conversation or see what happened.

Reply #445633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AK-47: You said 'Cooper calmly called out to the referee'

Umm, if he was there as a spectator why is he calling out to the referee in the first place? Shouldn't he let the coach be the one to ask questions?

Reply #445636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two spectators were ejected as well? This just keeps getting better.

Reply #445638 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous 445636,

You've never made a comment to a referee before when not coaching a game? My goodness aren't you just a model spectator then.

Anonymous 445638,

No. Two spectators were MISTAKENLY ejected by a referee. Cooper took the blame and walked on his own terms and the two spectators, who received apologies later, remained. Sorry that the truth prevented this from becoming a better story for you.

Reply #445641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are firing blanks AK

Reply #445673 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

You're right anonymous, there's no educating the downright stupid.

Reply #445677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure how a thread about Norwood detracts to Southern lol but this thread was really a waste of space, seems like MR has a sniper lol.

Reply #445704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who has replaced Rogers at Norwood?

Reply #453061 | Report this post

baller72  
Two years ago

Liam Flynn announced as Director of High Performance and Development at Sturt Sabres. LOL. How does this happen after what happened at North?

Turn back the clock and let the poaching ramp up through the BSA HP program. Wouldn't be surprised if Butler already finds a spot for his bestie with a SA Metro team.

Reply #896800 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Two years ago

I guess Sturt are happy to remploy one of their own. Atleast it looks Sturt will have someone overseeing Liam, unlike North where he seemed to be given the keys to the truck and able to drive it whenever and wherever he wanted to go.

Reply #896811 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

Like everyone they claim, he's not actually one of their own. Poached from elsewhere.

Reply #896813 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Two years ago

Just quoting from Sturts own press release where Liam is quoted as coming back "home", life member, bleeds Double Blue, etc.
Strangely enough it looks similar to the same puff pieces Rockets would put out which seemed to be written by Liam himself about himself, for example when he recently got the gig in Tunisia.

Reply #896815 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

I was really excited about this appointment from the perspective of a parent of Sturt juniors however if there were issues at North then Sturt should really have done some due diligence.

Hopefully it doesn't push people out as Sturt have lost a lot of players in the last 12 months already

Reply #896821 | Report this post

';'  
Two years ago

A more players to follow .. Liam follows the $$$$ No Club loyalty ...

Reply #896824 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

I've just had a look at his website, if dollars were all that he was interested in then surely he'd be coaching overseas as he's done previously. He looks to be very highly regarded according to his website so why would he come to Sturt if it was only about money?

That doesn't make sense to me

Reply #896825 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Two years ago

Sounded like most at Rockets were initially excited with signing at the Rockets. Has been some costly departures of Rockets people. Would love to know the inside story as Rockets inexplicably lost two successful div1 coaches to Forestville, taking some pivotal players with them to 16's, and probably more to go.

Reply #896826 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

I think if it was that much of an issue BSA would step in right?

Reply #896827 | Report this post

Armageddon  
Two years ago

SabreTooth, you must be new to basketball?

Reply #896832 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

I started getting involved when my kids began playing at Sturt so I'm learning as I go I guess.

I was just hopeful that it would be a good appointment for Sturt and most importantly my kids development and enjoyment of basketball.

What is the comment about Scott Butler, I've only heard good things about him around the club?

Reply #896835 | Report this post

Deputy  
Two years ago

Rojo gone from Mavs considering he was the main person many years ago in this post.

Reply #896869 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Two years ago

Liam Flynn's CV stacks up very well against other JDO type roles. He appears to be extremely well qualified: broadly experienced and educated in coaching. As a parent at Sturt, I think it is a positive step.

Reply #896870 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Have loosely kept up with juniors so not certain, but didn't North have a huge slip under Flynn's reign? Just seems to have a JVG air about him, style before substance, promises big but doesn't really deliver.
Can only think that Sturt have blinked and brought him in to have a name. Only other theory I can think of is that North pushed him after the mediocrity. Surely they would have the cash to exceed an offer from Sturt?

Reply #896889 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

So after (perhaps naively) thinking this was a great move by Sturt I have had a bit of a chat and a search online and am left with more questions than answers!

BballFan mentions his excellent CV which is also the impression I had after looking at his website and also from speaking to people at Sturt.

In his own words he was a "terrible player" and I know that your don't need to be a great player to be a great coach but surely some higher level experience helps? I'd imagine it may be hard for some players to relate to someone who has not played at a high level?

I can see he coached in Germany but in reality what level is German second division? Is it NBL1 level or much better?

He coached in NZ but the only info I can find about that is that it perhaps didn't end well?

There's plenty of articles about him being the next big thing without him ever really taking the next step to NBL level despite being available. I had seen him at 36ers games but was only really taking warm ups and not on the actual bench.

Onto North and he takes over as head of basketball or whatever the title was and also takes charge of the U18 boys team. That team brings back a big name player from the AIS and the team fails to even make the finals. He jets off overseas for a while (I assume paid by North while on holiday) and the team is taken over by a new coach who leads them to the winter season runner up! Quite a turnaround.

In his time at North there were a lot of players and families that left, maybe coincidentally, maybe not, however it is surely something any new employer might explore? Have Sturt done this? If not, why not?

I would take this to the Sturt board but I'm concerned as to what ramifications it may have for my kids given he's already clearly been signed up.

Do his actual real world coaching results justify the expensive curriculums, camps, pay for plays and other for profit activities or is it just a case of good marketing?

Reply #896890 | Report this post

JudgeJudy  
Two years ago

SabreTooth going deep undercover. Where no man has gone before in covering his trail. Always funny when people with an axe to grind come onto hoops with detailed posts pretending to be someone they are not to make up sh*t, ask the loaded questions.

Stay where you are and let us Sabres head back to the top and stop pretending you are who you are not! You would not get into the Sabre Den my friend. But keep it going, it's a great read to see you going undercover.

Reply #896891 | Report this post

SabreTooth  
Two years ago

Well lets hope the Sabres can improve on their last couple of years! Good luck!

Reply #896892 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754