skud
Years ago

Can Frye step up?

With 2 new signings this week of fringe NBA players I think the 36ers roster could come under some pressure. Ervin, once an MVP is #4 in points scored, possibly the lowest position he has been since coming to Australia.
The fact is the quality in the NBL this year is higher than it has been for a long time, which is great! The issue I see is that Frye has not turned his pre-season form into blistering season form. He is playing with an injury, ok, how bad is that injury really and how much is it stopping him?? The guy drives to the lane with ease and seems to score with ease when he wants to but is it time for him to start taking over?

I think he is good enough for the league but can he stop the players coming in?

Topic #33154 | Report this topic

Camel 31  
Years ago

The ankle has slowed him down, also our 2 main/top scorers take a lotta shots as does Gibson and we get about 90points a game, so that's fine.
Frye is a good fit for this team and my favorite player. I get a chance to see him go at it on Ennis. It will be worth it.

Reply #445547 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

If his injury is so bad it effects performance.. I am not sure why he gets so many minutes.. surely its best to rest him up and get him back on when he can perform?

Given that, I am not so sure how much his injury is effecting his performance... he does need to step up pretty quickly though unfortunately, or he may find himself edited out on the cutting room floor

Reply #445548 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I don't think Adelaide had the money left to think too big for their second import. They probably did pretty good on the budget. He is a decent fit for the team, but cant help but wish we had our own NBA level guy. Ervins good.. but I am beginning to think we could have done better...

Reply #445552 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For an import on more or less minimum, he's doing well enough, injury or not. He's playing with two MVP candidates who are averaging 19.0 PPG and 17.6 PPG and a Boomer getting 10/3/4. Frye's 10 and 6 (50% from the field) is decent enough in the context of a team winning most of their games and with six players averaging double figures.

Sixers only losses have been Perth on the road missing two players and Melbourne on the road. They're 2-0 in NZ. Pre-season, if you had looked at our schedule, I think you'd have been more than happy with 6-2.

And Ervin is averaging 19 PPG with a league-leading 5.9 APG. His numbers in Townsville were 16.8 PPG and 4.4 APG. His 3P% is an NBL career best by 8-9%. Especially after recent game-winning performances, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find 36er fans who aren't happy with what he's brought to Adelaide.

Anyway, can Frye step up? Can't shoot any worse from three. More than half of his games have been pretty handy and I think he's around the mark of what Joey would've expected from him so I'm not sure he needs to unless Adelaide start losing games and he's the weak link.

Reply #445558 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Null point, this team will stay the same if the people i charge have any clue. They get along so well on and off the floor. Frye gets that ankle some rest, and look out, he is a baller.

Reply #445562 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

That's it. In CNS for example he quickly got 2 from 2 FGs, then Ervin,Johnson and Gibson wanted to shoot whereas Frye wouldda got plenty. Later Frye was getting treatment on his leg. We won so all good.

Reply #445563 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac,

remember we have only lose 2 games, 1 was when Gibbo and Frye were not playing, and only lost to Perth away by 3.

So our full strength squad has only lost 1 game, thats a fantastic effort, i wouldnt be making any changes.

With Ervin and Johnson on the team, Frye doesnt need to force it scoring wise and is able to play his role efficiently and he has been very good usually in 4th quarters also.

Frye for a budget import is decent, we wouldnt have the budget for a Ennis type under the salary cap, lets say Fry is on 50-100k, an Ennis type would cost $150k+ id imagine, so changing Frye for another cheap import would be a real and unnecessary risk imo, who are we going to get better than Frye for the minimal cap space (50-100k) we would have?

Reply #445567 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree with Jonno, Frye is playing on a stacked team and more importantly a winning team so why would you change it. You won't get an NBA calibre player for what the sixers are paying him. If he is still carrying an injury atm it's not a huge concern with Creek emerging.

Reply #445569 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Was the full squad playing in that road loss to Melbourne?

Reply #445573 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Nathan, I think they were. Melbourne are the bogey side of Adelaide, just as Adelaide are the bogey side of Perth

Reply #445577 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Love that 2 players down and we lost by 3 in perth! Remember we had no knight and 6 new player's and playing in front of 11 000 so perth always has pressure playin at hm. Will be a great game can't wait! If u lose what u gona say? His ankle is not 100%?

Reply #445579 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ah, Cats fan - talk up a crowd of 11,000 and make it sound like that makes it tough on the home team?! Too funny.

Reply #445581 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

As I see it both teams are now at full strength, no key players missing so what happened in round 1 is irrelevant. Haven't seen the odds for this one yet but im guessing adel $1.70 Perth around $2 not that the odds will have any bearing on the result

Reply #445584 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

ok you had knight out, we had Gibson AND Frye out, so basically you had 2 starters out we had 1, so yes the 36ers are worse off.

You had home ground advantage, and both teams had plenty of new faces.

So losing by only 3 to Perth in Perth is a very respectable performance, even if both teams are full strength,

with an extra starter missing vs a grand finalist and being the previous years wooden spooners makes it even more respectable imo.

Yea the full team played against Melbourne but it was an away game, so losing 2 away games (1 at full strength) and winning the rest is a very good start to the season, given we have played more away than home at this point (i think?)

Reply #445586 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"With 2 new signings this week of fringe NBA players"

Dont believe the hype, the guy Melbourne has signed has done nothing yet to suggest he is better than Frye, who is playing his role well.

Reply #445587 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, Jonno, it is a very good start to the season.

Reply #445592 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Camel,

If I'm not mistaken hasn't the mention of your favourite players on this forum previously been much like K. G. Cunningham's old "Kiss of Death" statements?

Please tell me that I'm wrong because I've enjoyed watching Frye too and I have a habit of believing in superstitions.

FWIW - Frye stays

Reply #445599 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

lol sorry Nathan if I got a bit too excited about the 36ers start, its been a while since the 6ers have had a decent team, well coached, with 2 good imports who can win games in the clutch.

Its been long overdue for us poor 6ers fans, you Perth fans are sooo lucky to have had good teams year after year for as long as i can remember.

Reply #445603 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Cats ur just a little troll arent you...

Reply #445611 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

@GuesswhosBACK "Ervins good.. but I am beginning to think we could have done better" - How could we have done better? I think you judge players on their ability to dunk and not on their actual production.

Credit where credit is due. Ervin is in the top 2 imports in this league. I would even go as far to say that he is producing better then Ennis. Here is how he is ranking

4th in points per game
1st in assist per game
3rd in assist per turnover ratio
4th in steals per game

43% Field goal shooting
40% 3 point shooting
76% Foul shooting

Reply #445620 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Jonno,
I support Perth Glory in the A-League so I've been down that up and down road ;)

@kobe24,
Well, if he isn't he's doing a very good impersonation of one.

Reply #445621 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Agreed KingJames, Ervin is top notch, if MVP were decided now the top 3 imo would be Ennis, Ervin, Ogilvy, so he is in the elite of the NBL, we are soooo lucky to have him in a 36ers uniform, enjoy/appreciate every moment 36ers fans!

Lol yea Nathan, i think most fans sadly do get the up and down feeling along the way, the Wildcats being mostly an exception, congrats to all involved for achieving such a strong franchise, just forgive us 36ers fans if we get a bit excited at times this season, we have endured 3 years of MC's coaching and recruiting, to now have a real coach, a guy like Ervin and a winning team is just super exciting to all 36ers fans like me! Its like all our christmas's have come at once so far this season, if we beat Perth this weekend, it will be even better!!

Back onto the real topic, both imports are quality, team is winning, no need to make changes!

Reply #445625 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

LOL. King James.. I am not 13, dunks are pretty but 2 points is 2 points.

Reply #445626 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

BigAds. I mentioned to KG Cunningham, on Sat,onair about moving juniors games, and he thought a good idea, although Jars thought it was about moving th sixers game.
S.Weigh lovers are not Frye or Ervin fans.

Reply #445648 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Jars stirred the 36ers up though.

Reply #445654 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

S. Weigh lovers get exciled to foreign countries with titles such as "Ambassadors" & "Development coach"

Reply #445663 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Just to clarify I don't or did not mean to suggest Frye should be out of the team. I am more highlighting that so far in the season when he wants to score, he scores. Last game was probably the worst I have seen him around the basket..and that still was not bad!
I find him extremely entertaining to watch when he drives to the basket and the touch he has is insane.
I am more questioning with the way he seems to play in spurts..can he start to dominate the league and be more than he is. Stacked team or not.

Reply #445706 | Report this post

Aerius  
Years ago

Ervin is NBL elite

Reply #445775 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Frye was primarily recruited to be a wing defender.

Agsinst the Tigers here, Frye was switched onto Goulding for the last few mintues. Goulding did not score. Job done.

Frye was also recruited to be a slashing finisher as a secondary thing. For that, a 100% ankle would be good, but i am very happy with his his displays of slashing so far.

He seems like a great guy also.

Reply #445787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is discussion that Frye needs to get busy, yet poor old Christopherson copped how much shit n flack for not being able to adjust in 3 months to our defence, nail a few threes despite being touted as a good import.

Get off his back. They train, they do well. Now he needs support from everyone and hopefully can begin playing timed minutes n doing well

Reply #445809 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon....there is a big difference between Frye and Christopherson.

Reply #445880 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

There is also a big difference between who coached Chrstopherson and who coaches Frye. One (Wright) knows what he's doing and how to run his rotations. The other guy (Clarke) had no idea.

In general Christopherson isn't as bad as he played here in Adelaide. I've spoken online to one or two of his former college team mates who pretty much lay the blame for his failure here at Marty Clarke's feet.

In saying that though, I do believe Frye is the better of the two. I just think he has been restricted by his ankle injury (which was the cause of his mid-game departure against Perth) more than we know about. But he's doing a good job otherwise.

Reply #446775 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Christopherson completely wasnt up to physical leagues, and his agent landed him in two of the world's most physical leagues straight out of college!

Frye is much better suited to the high level because of his size and athleticism. SC has a nice skillset and understanding of the game but is going to struggle as a pro because he lacks strength and speed. He is going just OK in Switzerland, enough said!

Reply #446780 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems SYD & MEL upgraded their Imports. Well I'll be damned. I thought 36ers looked the better.
Thought 36ers zone D was pretty good, even though hoolahoops like the zone being banned.
I think Frye got 3/3 FGs in 7minutes, gotta weak ankle

Reply #446865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754