sharod
Years ago

Any news on Brisbane (or other) expansion in NBL?

Have not hear any update regarding the Brisbane expansion, is there high chance for coming back next season?

Topic #33157 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL CEO is apparently up inBrisbane this week to confirm there is a bid group.

Reply #445613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, what is typically required of a bid group?

Reply #445627 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Money..

Reply #445642 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Been told come heaven or high water there will be a Brisbane team next season. TV viewership is 2nd highest in the country most weeks and some weeks is even the highest, so going forward there NEEDS to be a Brisbane team for the league to grow.

Reply #445643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely. Brisbane is a MUST.

Great to hear Nat

Reply #445644 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I REALLY hope they are called the Bullets.All the history in the name.

Reply #445645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Obiously money, but approximately how much money do you guys think the NBL require for a startup? Some people on here seem to know a few things about the league so thought i'd ask...

Given the available revenue streams in ticketsales, merchandise, food/beverage (depending on venue contracts) and sponsership, the costs of running an NBL club must be enormous if the majority of teams arn't profitable.

Reply #445653 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Start up figure is hard to narrow down but it's expected to be min 3mil

Reply #445655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Sitiveni getting involved with this bid? ( I know he had some interest at some stage)

Reply #445656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given he knew nothing about the NBL CEO's announcement last week that he will be up in Brisbane to announce some good news this week or next, suggests otherwise.

Reply #445664 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Where do NBL clubs generate most their revenue? My guess would be;
1. Sponsorship-Naming rights somewhere near $400,000-$500,000. Plus other jersey sponser etc.
2. Ticket sales?
3. Merchandise?

Reply #445667 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Would be highly dependent upon the market involved and the infrastructure situation.

Reply #445670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rebirth of the bullets? or going in a new direction?

Reply #445672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MUST remain the BULLETS imo

Reply #445678 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Agreed, a rebraned team would not be as big as a success as the Bullets.

Reply #445679 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Bring back the Bullets and the Dragons, please...

Reply #445680 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Ive sent an email to a sports management group here in Brisbane who were behind helping the thunder and are also involved in getting a mens team in Brisbane to find out some more info. No im not involved in this bid, we have committed sponsorship to any bid team that gets a Brisbane team up and running but as far as investing and finding other investors perhaps call it burn out or a lack of motivation after years of banging heads.

From what I heard before I left was some serious people with fairly deep pockets are motivated to bring a Brisbane team back, but ill find out more info if I can and post it here. I thought the NBL wanted the licence application in by the end of November for next season. That's what we had last year anyway for this season. Seems odd though

Reply #445681 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

It has to be the bullets.. anyone who says "what about gun violence" is a bit of a tool.. Easier to re establish an old brand then start up a new one.

As for Melbourne teams.. only second melbourne team that should be in the equation is SE Melbourne Magic...

Reply #445682 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I know this is a silly question but if you won say $30m in lotto and wanted to bring back the Bullets; are you who NBL Pty. Ltd. want as an owner or are they wanting proof of constantly large cash flow?

As for how many teams actually make money... Only Perth did last season and NZ basically broke even but they fund developmental so you can say 2 teams are making $ (would love to see what would happen if Breakers played extra games at Vector Arena)

Reply #445683 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Gun violence isn't a huge issue in Australia

Reply #445684 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I think Cairns made a small profit as well as Perth.

Reply #445689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane wil be in the NBL shortly. No one up there is financially interested and yet the new NBL will persist with this notion that it's the 3rd highest in the country Nat and that means people supposedly will care. Rubbish. If they cared there would have been a team in years ago.
It's only $200k or so to get in and rest assured if Shitiveni's about in that process Brisbane are doomed again.

Reply #445694 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Did BA fund any of Sydney;s re entry into the NBL? Anon all Sitiveni is trying to do is inform us about the bid. Personally, I believe Brisbane will do alright attendance wish but not amazing.

Reply #445696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL hasnt funded any teams re entry ever.
In the past years ago, they allowed some teams to continue operating whilst in trouble.
They in fact bought licences and kicked out some teams maybe 15 years ago or so. In thier grandiose days when Speed and co were in charge. Now the new NBL wants the smaller teams back in. Just shows you how wrong Speed and co were.
Not only that some of the smaller teams were community centric and of course now that's the current preferred model.
Ahhh Mal, youv'e done it again.

Reply #445698 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sydney were assisted by BA.

Reply #445723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Assisted or funded.

Reply #445727 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ proud: the crocs financial backer is a lotto winner, so I doubt it will be a problem.

Reply #445738 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Seriously Anon, you disrespect my late father by calling me that. 2nd you say only $200k to get an NBL Licence, shows how stupid you are. if it were $200k to get an NBL Licence then we would have hundreds of NBL teams. I think someone mentioned in here about a $3m figure, that is what we have been trying to get for the past few years. Its not just all about money for an NBL licence, we had to put together the application with bank guarantee's, showed investor money or intention from investors, business plan, sponsors, also we had to show we would be able to put a team together and be competitive.

NBL Fan, that's right I am not involved with this bid but I have a friend and colleague who is and im happy to share any info I can. We all want a Brisbane mens team back in the NBL. I believe they will be called the Bullets, I was told the main investors wanted to keep the history and name, although it may not be called Brisbane, could be called SEQ Bullets or something to spread the catchment of potential fans.

Reply #445746 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

A successful season with the good quality new imports should help the banks and sponsors look more favourably on the new bid team.

Reply #445748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sitiveni, he means a $200K licence fee.

Reply #445749 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Sydney was underwritten by BA in year 1 and gifted a licence , imagine how those that paid 1mill for the same licence felt about that.

It costs about 3mill to run an NBL team each year using the full salary cap.

Teams like Perth have a bigger investment in off court staff which therefore costs more to run their organisation

Biggest cost saver is the roster, most other costs are fixed

Reply #445753 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Perth, doing some rough sums on what I know of what the Arena rental costs and from looking at annual reports of other Aus sports teams .... probably operate on a budget in the 6-10m range.

Most clubs would be in a 2-4m bracket depending on roster costs and stadium deals.

Reply #445754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All of the former rules have changed Shitiveni in regards to the ability to enter a new team into the NBL. Maybe you better ask your mate seeing as you don't know.

Reply #445784 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Anonymous, I don't know what you're history is with Sitiveni but at least he's got the balls to show his name.

Reply #445793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane Wizards!

Reply #445796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"MUST remain the BULLETS imo"

What about gun violence?

Reply #445798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Calling them the bullets is just naming them an object. What about Essendon Bombers. If a team is called the Bullets it doesn't mean the team is suporting gun violenceor anything. Seriously I think some people just need to understand that.

Reply #445811 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The Townsville Crocodiles condone estuarine reptillians mauling innocent children.

The Sydney Kings advocate the anachronistic notion of monarchy states.

The Cairns Taipans are pro snake bites.

The Perth Wildcats are advocating the introduction of feral felines to decimate our indigenous flora and fauna.

I think allowing the Brisbane Bullets in will be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Moral panic will ensue.

And what about the children?

Won't somebody think of the children?!

Reply #445817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers are mocking everyone who has drowned in the ocean.

Reply #445822 | Report this post

Shooting Blanks  
Years ago

"The Breakers are mocking everyone who has drowned in the ocean."

I think you'll find it's a lamentation of cradle snatchers, and how they break a mother's heart.

The biggest issue for me is from which venue they're planning to play out of. If it's centrally located I'll be first in line for season tix as I was for every Convention Center season.

There is no better way to start an evening out than by watching a Bullets game and walking out the door afterwards to already be in the entertainment district.

Boondall and its hour long transit both directions via public transport holds little appeal.

Reply #445828 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Shooting Blanks, what do you think about the tennis centre for location?

Reply #445830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Anonymous, I don't know what you're history is with Sitiveni but at least he's got the balls to show his name."
His real name since when?

Reply #445840 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Boondall is a joke. Whoever decided to build it there needs to be tarred and feathered. Bullets need to play out of southbank.

Reply #445846 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Tennis Centre was the most viable option for the last bid team. Convention centre at southbank is the best location but costs an absolute fortune, 2 issues remain although could be overcome. 1. There is Qld Legislation that states the tennis centre cannot be used for regular weekly sporting events(dumb), so legislation will need to be passed to allow this. 2. the centre will need to be fully closed in as at the moment it isn't. Both are able to be overcame and I would be excited to have it there.

Reply #445864 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, play the ball or post elsewhere.

Reply #445892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So sitiveni is posting under his real name. Rubbish. When challenged he can't stand the heat and goes complaining to the op? Parliamentarian potential my arse. Yes his previous numerous outrageous statements are perfectly acceptable. 2 standards it seems.

Reply #445958 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

Anon my late father is Fijian and his name is sitiveni. I was named after him. Perhaps google that name it's a well known Fijian name. In English it means something else but I use my real Fijian name. At least I don't disrespect other people's dead family members. I may debate or argue points with and u can call me anything u like, I have just asked u not to disrespect my fathers name which I use very proudly. I guess that's up to u and the character u r.

I'm in here because I grew up with bball and I'm passionate/love the game but been frustrated with the nbl for years, however I'm excited with where our game is headed.

Reply #446081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing I'm concerned about with a Brisbane team coming back in is that their crowds were woeful for the last few years of their existence despite having a championship contending team.

BCC was often mocked as 'The Library' because of how quiet it was and lack of atmosphere. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think they were getting below 3,000 a game like in the low 2,000's.

To me it seemed the Brisbane public had lost interest in the Bullets despite Eddy Groves throwing the money around on big signings when the club folded in 2008.

Reply #446084 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

So would Brisbane play out of a 3000 seat stadium or should they go to the Entertainment Centre ?

Reply #446128 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Having a championship calibre team doesnt bring crowds, promoting the team well does. You cant compare the previous Bullets who spent all their money on players with a future team's potential to draw crowds until you see their plans for community engagement and marketing.

The 27-3 Kings in 2008 averaged 3500, the 8-20 Kings in 2011 averaged 5000.

Reply #446141 | Report this post

Sitiveni  
Years ago

It's going to be what's financially viable and I don't think the convention centre is. I know the Qld government want the tennis centre used more often and my tip is if they don't begin there a Brisbane men's nbl team will end up there. If no one has been there it has fantastic facilities and would be great to watch basketball from and then catch a train or bus into the city afterwards.

Reply #446203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754