bring it
Years ago

New Teams into Big V for 2014?

Does anyone have any info as to who the new teams in the BIG V are for 2014?

Topic #33159 | Report this topic

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Structure is out:

Whittlesea Hawthorn McKinnion in SCM

Melton in Div1 Men

Wodonga in Div2 Men and Women

Oakleigh in Div2 Men

Warrandyte in SCW

Keysy in Div2 Women

Shepparton in Div2 Women

Reply #445634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Knox didn't drop down?

What format is Div 1?

Title favorites for Div 2?

Reply #445646 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What happened to Knox, i thought they were a definite starting in Big V.....

Reply #445674 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Div1 Men 2 conferences of 7:

Altona
Craigeburn
Geelong
Melton
Mildura
Sunbury
Warnambool

Blackburn
Camberwell
Chelsea
Latrobe
Melb Uni
Sth Peninsula
Warrandyte

Reply #445725 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Think bringing three teams into SCM will dilute the comp even further.

After having Sherbrooke, Melbourne, Werribe (Ex Oswald) and to a lesser extent Hume/Eltham struggled to compete with the top four last year i can't see how bringing in another 3 teams will make the comp stronger or less uneven.

All that happens now is the top 4 move further ahead and creates a huge gulf in talent from top to bottum.....it will hurt teams when trying to recruit the best talent in the state instead of them heading to SEABL.

Reply #445742 | Report this post

Anon2  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, maybe it's time to demote some of the under performing seams out of SCM down to D1 (i.e. Sherbrooke, Melbourne) and see how the new entrants go. Reality is those that have been hanging at the bottom of the league for years aren't doing anything to bridge the gap or better the competition either.

Reply #445756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will win D1 this year , I hear it will be the Corio Bay supercats.lol or Chelsea

Reply #445757 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@Anon2 - I agree with that as the same few teams always seem to end up near the lower end of the table.

Really if you look at the records over the last 3 years Sherbrooke & Melbourne should be relegated to give them time to rebuild....that said i can't see Melbourne's ego every allowing that to happen.

Reply #445759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the div 1 conference structure 100% because to me it looks very un even. I know there has been debate over the last 2 years with the stronger and weaker conferences with the "weaker conference" fielding all the grand final teams but I think that trend may end this year.

I know there is still a lot to come out with recruiting and imports but based on last season in the Terril you have Mildura and maybe Geelong and Sunbury who you can bank on to win over half there games and the rest would be a guess. In the Watson you have maybe all 7 who would be starting the season with the belief that they can play finals and win a championship.

Reply #445889 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Div1 is an East/West Split, it's set.

Reply #445966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D1M Terril is so much weaker it's a joke, Whittlesea were the best side all year and deserved to make the finals (and win) but Mildura had the equal 6th best record in the division and got to take advantage of their huge home court advantage right through the first two rounds. 6 of the top 8 sides were Watson and Geelong who finished third and booked a playoff spot were 2 games BELOW 500. Western Port who were 4 games ahead of them in a tougher conference missed out. Fair enough play out the regular season in conferences for travel reasons, but make the playoffs about the best teams in the league.

Reply #447603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANON,

Mildura only had the home court advantage in the 1st rounf and actually beat Hawtorn at Hawthorn in the 2nd round of the finals.

Reply #448979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mistake on Mildura in Hawthorn. Regardless, the point is the gap between two conferences is ridiculous.

And on Mildura, they got to play latrobe city at home for the 2nd time in two weeks despite having a far worse record and losing the head to head matchup with them. That's a long way for that team to go, from tralagon to mildura in the space of 3 rounds, somehow i don't think Mildura would've made the 2nd round if they had to make the trip the other way.

Reply #455888 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754