LanceUppercut
Years ago

Kings v Wildcats @ Perth 24 November

Its a little early to be starting this thread but it will be the Kings new import Sam Young's first game for the Kings and will be against the Wildcats tandem of Beal and Ennis.Should be a very good match, hopefully plently of dunks.

Although, refering to the NBL pdf broadcast schedule (why can't they have broadcast schedule on NBL front page?) this game is not being broadcast on tv but is on NBL.tv for the 8 people that have it.

Link below to interview with Sam Young by foxsports with some highlights from Kings training and his NBA highlights.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/video?v=young-to-fire-for-kings_1226762855885&vc=519

Topic #33164 | Report this topic

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Thrown straight into the deep end! Would love to know what Heal plan's to tell Young about this fixture.

Reply #445766 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

This isn't on TV?? Surely thats some kinda of joke??

Reply #445767 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Nope, Melbourne V Townsville will be shown on TV.

TV schedule was done before the start of the season. Tip off is 3pm WA time which means, what? 6pm NSW/VIC/Eastern time? So impossible to re-schedule.

Reply #445773 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

You wont ever see a game in Perth on Sunday on TV.

Would mean a 11am tip off or 6PM EDST time slot.

Reply #445781 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

When does channel 10s deal end ?

Reply #445782 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yeah, it couldn't really be helped - I don't think when the fixturing was worked out that anyone said "Well, hang on, in Round 8 the Sydney Kings might sign a player straight from an NBA bench to play up against an NBA 2nd round pick playing for an undefeated Perth Wildcats, so we should probably put that on TV".

I mean our last two games with the Kings were on FTA, so we can't be too greedy about it.

Reply #445783 | Report this post

banked shot  
Years ago

Best weekend of games so far this season. Perth are going to have trouble against the two teams expected to have the ability to beat them, whether they can is another thing. Cant wait for this match up, but the Adelaide vs Perth game will be a good one as well, is it going to be on TV?

Reply #445786 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Yes Perth vs Adelaide game is on TV

Reply #445795 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

This game should go close to a sell out (hopefully)

Reply #445804 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ I checked the blocks that available tickets are in, all look promising.

Reply #445805 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Thats really sad they are not showing it on TV, think of how good an opportunity it would be? 6pm eastern time would be perfect time for a game to be shown live on tv, i know for a fact most people spend there sunday nights relaxed on there couch watching tv. I feel the NBL is missing a huge opportunity here!

Reply #445808 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I agree Benno

Reply #445810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's what NBL TV is for. Nathan of Perth did you mean Perth v Adelaide is selling well or Perth vs Sydney??

Reply #445812 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ I was referring to Perth v Sydney

Reply #445813 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

That's what NBL TV is for.

In theory, YES... but in practicality when nbl.tv is a shit service that doesn't work properly, No...

Reply #445814 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

On top of the unknown of Sam Young's arrival, there is no way anyone could have known Ennis would have such an impact on the league.

There are imports who have been drafted much higher in better drafts (remember last year's draft class was one of the weakest of all time, and Ennis was deemed by clubs to be one of the weakest players in said draft class) that have come to the NBL and flopped.

Reply #445815 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I know NBL TV is there for this but how about the growing fan base, this is such a good opportunity, two very well rounded and respected players going at it. There will be so many highlights it would be quite good to watch. It would make people have 2nd thoughts of the NBL, For example i tell my friends to watch the NBL they think I'm joking when i say its on the up. Thats how much people don't respect it however when i mentioned the name Sam Young, They want to know more about it! More high-level talent on free to air= More fans and more money for the Teams to bring even better players into town!! Its all about exposure and exposing the NBL the right way!

Reply #445820 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Yeah shame on the NBL for not showing every game live on free to air TV! They should also have "The Hoopy Show" on channel 9 while the Footy Show is off air.

Also why can't 7 Mate show old NBL games all weekend?

NBL is not putting in enough effort to make these things happen.

!!11!!1!!!!1!!1!!!!!

#nbldreamlist

Reply #445825 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

I'm all for the NBL doing more to promote the game.
However, tv channels will not play stuff like old games unless they can guarantee all advertising time slots are full.
So I suggest the NBL start with finding sponsors for the hundreds of slots in a 2 hour plus game.
Can't see that happening, can you?
I wish that I could put up a decent argument against those who say the league should go semi-pro for a few years then work up again.
I don't see it ever recovering from that.
Boomers and BA don't care, all their players are not NBL anyway...well, soon will be.

Reply #445842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have replays on Wednesday morning on one, but only the two games previously televised

Reply #445847 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

NBL.tv doesn't even allow you to watch highlights of games unless you pay for the service!

Reply #445860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really?? You can't watch their product without being a subscriber?? That is ridiculous!! They're as bad as Foxtel!!

Reply #445862 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

anon--NBA.com shows highlights of every game to anyone who visits their website, FIBA shows highlights to most games anywhere and everywhere

I don't think its asking much that they put up game highlights on their website that you could view without having to be a subscriber. I would be more inclined to buy the NBL.tv if i could see the quality of their product, just as I purchased NBA.tv after years of watching their NBA.com highlights.

It's a fairly common practice in most successful marketing strategies to 'offer' a sample of a product/service to create interest and awareness of the product or service

Reply #445865 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Since when has nbl tv not allowed you to view highlights?

Reply #445868 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

I think the Kings are going to have a lot of turnovers with Carmouche playing his first game as Point Guard. Damian Martin is a gun on defense so Carmouche is going to have a tough game.

Reply #445888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will be backing up at point? Is Gleeson going to be back or will they have to use Weeks? I'm not sure that one is necessarily better than the other but at least Weeks has logged some game time with the team.

Reply #445894 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Apparently point guard duties will be split between Madgen, White and Carmouche. I don't know when Gleeson will return.

Reply #445898 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

It should be interesting to see Sydney's PG play against Damian Martin D.

To Nathan of Perth, perhaps I'm doing it incorrectly but when I click to watch highlights on NBL.TV it ask me to login/ subscribe. There is no free option to watch it, it only gives you options to pay monthly or yearly for subscriptions, neither of which i'm interested in doing as I only want to watch some highlights.

Reply #445915 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Click the Video on Demand option at the top, then click on the Highlights tab. It will let you watch those ones for free. Presto, streaming NBL :)

When the site isn't being a jackass anyway.

Reply #445917 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Thanks Nathan, appreciate that!

Reply #445944 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

As much hype as there is, perhaps it might be better for Melbourne v Townsville to be shown. Isn't Farrakhan suiting up this week against Steve "the Marksman" Markovic? That will hold some interest.

As previously mentioned, Sydney have adjustments to make and there are expressed doubts about Sam Young's "showtime" potential (personally I am yet to form an opinion)

If Young does bring a full kit bag of NBA tricks with then let the anticipation grow. Young v Goulding Sunday week might be an even bigger event than the Ennis v Young show (given the circumstances).

Reply #445999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because they need to get some chemistry going. Sanders was great last week and they will miss his service.

Perth should win this one, it will be more interesting towards the back end of the season.

Reply #446017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hoopy Show. I'd watch that!

Reply #446024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"In theory, YES... but in practicality when nbl.tv is a shit service that doesn't work properly, No..."

I kept saying last year it wasn't right yet many blamed the ones complaining about it that their bandwidth was too low.

Well what a difference another season makes. Seems like it is universally accepted now that NBL.TV is not working properly. Hilarious they call themselves "Perform"

Reply #446032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this should be the game of the round

Reply #446116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings by 12

Reply #446637 | Report this post

Rick  
Years ago

Kings by 12

Reply #446638 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Perth by 12.

Reply #446639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney should get this one. Kings by 2

Reply #446644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://firstrownow.eu/watch/223322/1/watch-perth-wildcats-vs-sydney-kings.html

Reply #446647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats up 27-17 at Qtr time.

Reply #446649 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Wow I don't think the Kings could play any worse.

They should have came out with the game plan to go to Madgen and Oglivy as the first options instead the team looks like they have no idea what they are doing out there.

Reply #446650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats up 50-32 at H/T.

Reply #446651 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mercy rule?

Reply #446657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats up 77-42 at 3-Qtr time.

Reply #446658 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wildcats up 77 to 42 at end of third

Reply #446659 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Bugger, at least it's a long season.

Reply #446661 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

-Kings lack direction

-Firing Sanders was a mistake

-There will be more bloodshed before the season's out...watch your back, Carmouche.

Reply #446662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats won 98-55

Reply #446664 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Agree with SS, Sydney need a point guard asap. With Sydney and melb losing has opened the door for NZ and even Townsville to make a run at top 4.

Reply #446666 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just me or did Young look really, really lazy? Heal would hate that.

Reply #446667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Up until now i have thought Shane Heal had done a good job with the Kings,

But not having a true PG who can set up Ogilvy is a huge bone head decision.

No arguments in getting Young, but keep Sanders! Camouche is no PG, neither is Madgen, no coincidence that Ogilvy had his worst game of the season. I saw the first half and didnt see 1 post offence and they were not even hitting 3s but kept taking them.

Its like we have the best C in the league, Perth are a reasonably small team, ok so lets not pass the ball to him inside, lets shoot 3's (miss heaps and not change tactic) and basically ignore our leading scorer and best player!

WTF Hammer, i hope he realizes this and gets a PG ASAP, and not let his ego stop him realizing he made a mistake and not making the change.

At the end of the day is the only way to fix it now is to let CC go and bring in a PG, the 2nd move coulda been saved by not cutting Sanders in the first place, but now they have to fix it or i doubt they will make the playoffs.

Guys like Ervin/Martin will have a field day against a CC at PG.

Reply #446669 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Was thiking the same thing Isaac. His body language was awful.

Reply #446670 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

did Martin posterize Young with that dunk??

Reply #446674 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Well coached Gleeson doing a great job.

Reply #446678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else getting bob Jane tmart ads on iPad NBL.tv app????

Reply #446680 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Who was worse the Kings or the Poms?

Reply #446686 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I didnt see much of the game, saw half of the 3rd quarter onwards.. Looks like Sam Young had a real hard time adjusting to the league... Got stripped of the ball and made to look a bit silly multiple times.. but I am not going to judge him on the 14 minutes of basketball I saw today.

Reply #446687 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Don't doubt for a second that Sydney were awful, but surely it's no coincidence that the two lowest team scores by far this season have happened at Perth Arena. The notoriously tight rims are a blight on the professionalism of the league.

Reply #446688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes i was a bit worried that damo might lose some of his athleticism after doing his achillies but he has been phenomenal this year and his leaping has been a feature to go with a consistent jumper

Reply #446691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol jez

Reply #446692 | Report this post

Jez for laughs  
Years ago

I also pissed myself laughing reading Jez's post. "the notoriously tight rims are a blight on the professionalism of the league". LMFAO.

Reply #446694 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

I almost for for it jez.. Was going to retort before i realised you must have been fishing for a reaction. Good one!

Reply #446701 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

*fell for it

Reply #446703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats scored 98 on those tight rims. Maybe they tighten them when they switch ends without anyone noticing

Reply #446706 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Wish the game was on free to air complete with press conference would love to watch Shane Heal explain that "performance"

Reply #446710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know how to tighten a ring/slacken off a ring without anyone of the thousand's of people there noticing? Never heard so much crap.

Reply #446713 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

To be honest I wasn't actually trolling or anything, but I get the response!

Perth clearly murdered Sydney, as they did Wollongong earlier this season when they only scored 40 something. Still feel the rims are too tight though, and obviously Perth have more practice with them then travelling teams. I'm not sure on stats this year but I remember a fairly noticeable discrepancy in FG% at Perth Arena versus other stadiums last year, so I think it's a legitimate point.

Again I stress that Perth were clearly the dominant team. It'll be interesting to see if any team other than Adelaide can challenge them this season

Reply #446714 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tweets around tonight suggesting that Carmouche was lined up to be replaced but then had those good games in QLD (?) and Adelaide. Convinced the Kings to offload their PG.

Assist count tonight was something like 29-6.

Reply #446719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe all the experts here should ask the question what branded rims the Perth Arena are using. Before making stupid allegations.

Reply #446720 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

And this was why Shane Heal was hoping we beat Adelaide on friday, because I don't think any team in the league was going to escape Perth Arena with any better than a 10pt loss after that screw-up 2Q against Adelaide.

Sam Young played good in patches, but clearly needs to get up to speed, was unlucky to draw this figure first up. As for lazy, well, if I were Shane Heal I'd want to know if he's relieved or cursing the fact they don't come back to Perth Arena this season. Would say a lot about him as a competitor.

Reply #446736 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Shane Heal comeback?

Reply #446738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Always knew keeping CC over Sanders and bringing in a swingman would be a disaster.

The only team who has managed to beat Ogilvy is the Kings themselves, how they dont pass him the ball down low on just about evey offense is beyond me, he should be basically 1st choice on every offense, especially when teams are running smaller line ups.

As many have said They need a pg asap, most likely a import, unless they can get a Rhys Carter type, but not sure he would even be enough either.

This reminds me big time of the Tigers 'Barlow is a pg experiment' why would anyone try these things, it basically never works, if you have a sg/sf who can run a little part time pg great, but always still have 2 pgs on your roster and atleast 1 starting level to play atleast 20-25mins per game. That should be rule number 1 in all basketball teams.

Look at the best point forwards/ball handling sg's in the NBA, they all have propper PGs on there team, atleast 1 playing decent minutes along side of them.

Reply #446751 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

Lighten up Anon i think you missed the sarcasm. No one really believes that the wildcats tighten the rims without thousands of people noticing

Reply #446752 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Just for the record.....on the NBL website, have just clicked on "video on demand" and a message came up saying "YOU MUST BE A SUBSCRIBER TO VIEW THIS CONTENT". That says to me that highlights on the NBL website are only open to those who subscribe to NBL.tv

Nice way to promote the game.....

Oh, and was Perth that good today or were the Kings just that bad?

Reply #446755 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

The cats have been shooting the ball so much better at the arena this season. Does anyone think they have changed the rims in the off season or is it just better team shooting? Btw opposition teams coming here and getting belted have nothing to do with the rims

Reply #446757 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I believe they did change the rings in the off season.

Reply #446758 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

yeah thats the impression i got

Reply #446764 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Holden V8, if you then click on the Highlights tab you can watch them for free.

It is silly how it comes up though, it means the url for highlights can't be sent/tweeted/facebooked/ put in the match report. BA and NBL have both been made aware of it in past two years but dont appear to have had any luck getting Perform to change it.

Reply #446772 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks Paul. I have tried that before and it has never loaded. Just tried it again and it did load so I saw the 36ers v Wildcats highlights.....but it took well over 5 minutes to load (I have ADSL 2.....from iinet).

Reply #446784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's important to remember that the cats don't practice a lot at the arena- they train at the WA basketball center and then i assume they do a few sessions (maybe 1 before a game) at the arena.

it would have to be their improved shooting :)

Reply #446785 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Unless I am mistaken, the 36ers are the only NBL team who actually practice exclusively where they play. That's because the Adelaide Arena was built as a basketball stadium, unlike the other venues in the NBL which are generally the cities entertainment venues.

Reply #446788 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah Holden, after what was a reasonable debut for the price, NBL.TV has upped the price and dropped the standards this year! Such a shame, hopefully the contract ends this year.

Reply #446789 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I honestly only really use NBL TV for watching replays, rather than live.

Reply #446797 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I hope you're right about that paul.

Personally I wish that the NBL and their sponsor iinet would do something similar to what the NRL and their sponsor Telstra do with the NRL website. On that site free highlights are up within an hour of a game finishing. And within 24 hours of a game you can watch a full game replay for free regardless of it originally being broadcast on Fox or Nine.

IMO the NBL should do the same. It would allow fans to see their teams play if they couldn't get to the game and it wasn't on FTA.

Wishful thinking probably.....

Reply #446799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rings are fine.

Damian Martin is the problem (for opposing teams %)

Reply #446800 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think that's the direction they want to head.

Reply #446801 | Report this post

Simo  
Years ago

Its the same rings @ Pert Arena they haven't been changed... And the Wildcats hardly ever train there, it costs so much for them just to rent it out for a training session.

Reply #446810 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

If the rims have been changed for this season then I concede my point is entirely moot! Was just kind of mystified as to why all rims in NBL venues couldn't be set up in the one uniform/standardised way.

Also on the Kings import problems Carmouche would have felt hard done by if he was cut given the scoring form he was in. The problem is that he isn't really a positional need for the Kings when they already have Madgen and Harvey, whereas the PG spot definitely is.

Reply #446811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

iinet are no longer a sponsor of the NBL.

Reply #446812 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'm not sure of Young being lazy, but I thought Garlepp's running the floor was atrocious and he looked out of breath all game (hopefully it was only a flu that won't be passed onto anyone)

Does anyone believe the kings should get rid of a Carmouche for a douche and apologise and reinstate Aaron Bruce... He would surely make a better ball handler/playmaker?

Sydney were awful and angry (never seen Ogilvy so upset but he wasn't getting the calls he normally gets) and they seemed lost.

Perth were just so brilliant and the court time shared between everyone was great and Knight seems to be more confident in his body and play by the day

Reply #446814 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Perth were not brilliant, the Kings couldn't even compete with their new shoot first PG.

Reply #446838 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Don't be mealy-mouthed, Aaron, you know that isn't true. The lack of point guard hamstrung any attempt at a cohesive offense, but there were two teams out there and one of them was breathing fire so hard their bench and DPs took over the second half and still blew out the lead. That's more than just Sydney being unbalanced on the court.

Reply #446853 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

Did you watch the game?

C.Carmouche FG 4/14 3PT 1/7 ASST 1

Your team is good but if Sydney had played a highschool basketball team, they would have put on a clinic against the Kings that day.

Reply #446963 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, Aaron, I was there and watched it all.

Just like I watched, for instance, Wollongong visit. Very similar, and they had a point guard, no less.

Reply #446991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was just kind of mystified as to why all rims in NBL venues couldn't be set up in the one uniform/standardised way.

Yep this has been addressed in the past but of course in typical NBL fashion it is way too hard for them.

Reply #447147 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:03 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754