Flinders80
Years ago

Should the NBL consider a draft?

Ok so I have raised this question before and been shot down a few times to. Here is my new thoughts? We have the following players finishing up their college.

Cameron BAIRSTOW 6'9"
Angus BRANDT 6’10"
Luke DEVLIN 6’8”
Jeromie HILL 6’8”
Matthew HODGSON 6’11"
Claybrin McMATH 6’8”
Majok MAJOK 6’9”
Corey MAYNARD 6’3” G
Chris PATTON 6’10”
Christian SALECICH 6’3”
Nathan SOBEY 6’3”
Jordan VANDENBERG 7’1”

It would be great if 8 of these names got guaranteed contracts with each NBL team based on where the teams finish this year. Maybe the old rule of one under 23 player should be changed to a selected player from this list next year. Imagine if Wollongong had the opportunity to pick the best player available from this list before say a NZ or Perth or Adelaide.

Topic #33179 | Report this topic

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sorry missed out any D2 players also returning remembering some very good D2 players play in the NBL

Reply #446265 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

I have thought about this, its a cool idea however theres no chance in hell bairstow will be playing NBL next season he is smashing it!

Reply #446268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah its at least a month since this was posted - may as well give it another go...

Reply #446269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would anyone enter it?

Reply #446273 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

I would like to see even a mini draft where possibly only the non-finals teams get plays so really the bottom four get rights to first pick of the incoming rookies.

Reply #446275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.

If the league ever wants to expand and have 12+ teams, it must have a draft to allow the smaller markets to be viable for the long term.

Reply #446277 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

I don't see why a college/AIS draft isn't viable. It really only is hinged on the players wanting this to happen, and I'm sure they wouldn't be for it as they would prefer to pick where they live.

Reply #446278 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

why should the Breakers academy or any other franchises development pathway give up players to other teams?

Reply #446286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If every club runs a development program then a draft is even more valuable! Breakers can develop what they have in their back yard as can other teams. When it's time to add to your roster you can draft the best player available in the position you require. You won't always have the right players in your development team!!!

Reply #446289 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Bit off topic,

But watch out for Mitch McCarron!

He could be a star in the league one day.

Putting up big numbers at Metro State (had 34 points against a D1 opponent the other day)

Reply #446290 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

It would be cool if viable but to be honest I don't think telling people where they can live their life for 40-70k a year will work.

NBL need to get creative if they want some sort of draft set up where the weaker teams from the year before can get a head start on the following year.

Things like:
Point exemption
If a team finishes last, depending on how many games they are from 4th place depends on how many points over the 70pt cap they can spend.
EG: If Townsville finish last and are 5 games out of 4th place, the next year they get an extra 5 points to spend on a player.

Salary cap exemption
If a team finishes last the NBL (via profit sharing system if/when it comes in place) they get up to 52k to spend on another player for the next season.

And so on..

Reply #446291 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

nice ideas natwhereyouat, the point exemption especially if the franchise owners don't scrap it completely.

Reply #446293 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The only problem with a cap exemption is that that if townsville or wollongong finishes last, they can't afford to spend the cap as it is, let alone another 50 grand. I like the points system top up though. However I am against the points cap outright.

You dont see any perrenial losers in this league. You dont need a draft or anything to give the bottom finishing teams a boost. With imports and the majority of the league on 1 year deals, you can build a contender over night with the right coach.

Reply #446299 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

While there haven't been perennial losers, I think we might see Townsville and Wollongong slip and stay down for a while from this season.

Salary cap exemption as you say is not going to work. I don't think a draft is the way either - salary just isn't high enough to justify dictating destination to a young player.

Better options for keeping cheaper teams competitive might be:

- soft cap with profit sharing to teams spending less or losing more
- higher points cap (not useful if the cap is removed)
- allowance of an extra import (more roster flexibility)
- financial assistance from the league (e.g., from central fund contributed to by all clubs)

Reply #446310 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I reckon we should have league wide 3 imports... and add marquee player rule to the teams who missed the play offs maybe

as for a draft?... lol.. why?

Reply #446324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To make a draft work the incentive could be part of the players salary is paid by the league and there is a higher minimum. Incentive then to enter the draft for the player and for a club to draw from it. But you can't dictate where a player has to play at the money level that is on offer.

Reply #446362 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Insufficient control of the job market to make a draft workable, I'd say. Even if it had parity benefits, players wouldn't play ball.

Reply #446369 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

and add marquee player rule to the teams who missed the play offs maybe
With what money? A team like Wollongong is currently last, doesn't spend the cap and are not going to be able to do anything with a marquee player rule. They need profit sharing or could make use of a third import occasionally where they could get more value for money with that flexibility.

Reply #446380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*cue NBLPA restraint of trade article*

Reply #446383 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I agree with Mystro as Breakers have created and spent heaps on their academy and don't deserve anyone (even secondary NZ teams) poaching their talent.

As for this draft, whilst a cool idea (um maybe not) it is just idiotic... So we have a draft which is built up to be something special and we get the best talent listed above and every team comes away happy they have their man signed and come the next season we do it again but say 6 of those 8/9 players selected end up either leaving their club or the league itself...

The only aspect it has going for it is that it really props up the prestige of Rookie of the year... But early season leader in ROTY would be Tom Jervis and he wouldn't even be in draft consideration!

Reply #446400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

natwhereyouat's first sentence says it all really. End of discussion.

Reply #446405 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Would be good to add 3 import rule from a local league and that import to be at a reduced player points rating.

Reply #446406 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I honestly don't like league-wide parity because it inhibits the growth of young players somewhat. I'm in the minority here obviously but I believe in the cycle of contending and building.

Would be great to see Townsville for example bottom out completely and give guys like Norton and Blanchfield 20 shots a game each to boost their development, instead you have stopgap veterans on 1 year deals taking their court time and shots, all in the name of still being one of the worst teams in the league, but acting like you're contending...

Reply #446544 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crocs might drop out of the league before they rebuilt.

Reply #446560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:23 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754