Annoyed Coach
Years ago

Standard of Thursday officiating

So, tonight, my player was driving to the hoop, and a defender moves across and blocks his path to the hoop with his back turned and still moving laterally.
Any normal refs calls a block. But tonight I saw my a charge get called.

I fail to see how you can call a charge for a player that has their back turned to the ball carrier!!

Topic #33180 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Having their back turned has no relevance to a charging foul. If the defender establishes legal guarding position within his cylinder it's not a blocking foul.

A charge can even be called in the case of the defender moving laterally e.g. The ball-carrier initiating contact by extending the arm bar against the laterally-moving defender.

In saying this, based on the standard of refereeing I've witnessed for lower division games I'll wager it was indeed a blocking foul...

Reply #446274 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

You can't take a Charge unless you are facing the player. All referees are taught the principal of Feet, Facing, First to determine Block / Charge.

Reply #446282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the rule book

33.4 Guarding a player who controls the ball
When guarding a player who controls (holding or dribbling) the ball, the elements of time and distance do not apply.
The player with the ball must expect to be guarded and must be prepared to stop or change his direction whenever an opponent takes an initial legal guarding position in front of him, even if this is done within a fraction of a second.
The guarding (defensive) player must establish an initial legal guarding position without causing contact before taking his position.
Once the defensive player has established an initial legal guarding position, he may move to guard his opponent, but he may not extend his arms, shoulders, hips or legs to prevent the dribbler from passing by him.
When judging a charge/block situation involving a player with the ball, an official shall use the following principles:
• The defensive player must establish an initial legal guarding position by facing the player with the ball and having both feet on the floor.
• The defensive player may remain stationary, jump vertically, move laterally or backwards in order to maintain the initial legal guarding position.
• When moving to maintain the initial legal guarding position, one foot or both feet may be off the floor for an instant, as long as the movement is lateral or backwards, but not towards the player with the ball.
• Contact must occur on the torso, in which case the defensive player would be considered as having been at the place of contact first.
• Having established a legal guarding position the defensive player may turn within his cylinder to avoid injury.

The last point is the relevant one. A player may turn to avoid injury after establishing a legal guarding position.

Secondly a player is entitled to a spot on the floor that is not already occupied by another player, thus if a player is standing in a specific spot regardless of facing the player with the ball or not he/she is entitled to that position. The offensive player cannot just run over a defender because he isnt facing him!This is still a charge.

Reply #446304 | Report this post

Years ago

Thursday night district juniors refs - often are the social refs that are happy to take on a district game. In allfairness to the refs they can be learners like div 5 u 16s ..... but what you say it is a block. But what has been done to correct this refs understanding?

Reply #446305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Block anytime of the day!!

Reply #446341 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Switch to Wednesdays. Problem solved.

Reply #446344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Switch to Wednesdays easy no district games

Reply #446364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love these threads, so often the difference between a fuming ref hate rant on the internet or at a game and just playing on: KNOWING THE RULES.

Reply #446397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a block you haven't got your feet facing the play.turn your back on play isnt the right thing to do,i guess this would be at wayville.

Reply #446566 | Report this post

Annoyed Coach  
Years ago

Was at Hillcrest

Reply #446578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By all means bag the referees on a Friday night, but the referees on Thursdays are normally green shirts. Kids just learning.
How about we bag your kids that cant hit a shot from the block before we bag the referee trying to learn their trade.

Reply #446668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:22 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754