matt
Years ago

Damien Martin an MVP candidate

Considering the impact defensively martin is having plus his improved shooting is this guy a chance for MVP?

Topic #33198 | Report this topic

watto  
Years ago

Yes definitely! He has been his usual phenomenal self this year and if he keeps shooting the jump shot consistently then he should be right up there. Thankfully the injury hasn't slowed him down at all. Would like to see him drive and penetrate a bit more. With his athleticism he would be hard to stop from making the basket or dishing off. But still cant fault him. I wouldn't want anyone else at PG

Reply #446698 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Definitely no! Great player but not MVP potential

Reply #446705 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

If he continues his current run of form he has to be considered though only as an outsider. He is runaway leader for DPOY imo. Agree Watto wouldn't swap him for any other point guard. Doesn't need to score alot on loaded Perth team but am impressed with his shooting this season.

Reply #446707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would like to add he is an outside "chance" but dont think he will win it. His scoring output isn't high enough. But definitely club MVP

Reply #446708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No.
Go back him if you think he's that good.

Reply #446709 | Report this post

Jamie  
Years ago

Totally agree that Damian Martin should receive the MVP.

He has been producing at an elite standard his entire career.

Defensive player of the year past 3 seasons apt recognition.

The only other player deserving of the award is Gary Ervin.

No other player in the league has the consistency of the 2 players named.

KingJames only made that absurd call to annoy us.

Would love to hear who he thinks should win it.

Reply #446722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ennis if he see's the season out would have to be a clear candidate.

Reply #446726 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

If you post the video of his dunk you will be the forum MVP!

Reply #446727 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think anyone from Perth will win it, they have too many great players, Martin, Redhage, Beal and Ennis have all been playing at a similar level and will take votes off each other - add Knight to that mix as he gets fitter.

Goulding would have to be favourite at the moment, followed by Ogilvy and Ervin.

My All-First Team from seven rounds would be Ogilvy, Ennis, Goulding, Ervin and Martin. Second team Johnson, Redhage, Pace, Beal and Clarke.

Reply #446728 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

No, he's pretty much no chance of winning the award.
Yes, he's probably among the top 5 most valuable players in the league.

Pretty much no one in any sport has won a MVP due to their defense, no matter how dominant they are on that end. The MVP is an award for offense.

Reply #446730 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Although the MVP shouldn't necessarily be the leading scorer you can bet Goulding is still one of the leading contenders. Stats don't do Damo justice I think he is in career form right now.

Reply #446733 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I think he will be in the discussions IF he keeps this standard of play up. But if things continue how they have, it'll be Ennis and MAYBE Ervin a close second.

Reply #446737 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Not the sort of player to win a gong like the MVP, as that's normally reserved for the big showtime players, but good luck finding someone actually more valuable!

Reply #446739 | Report this post

watto  
Years ago

Yes agree Hendo. If it was based on all round game then Martin would be hard to beat. His figures of 9 points 5 assists 5 steals 4 rebounds in tonights game are the type of performances we've become used to from him. But he's also such an inspirational leader and a barometer for the way the team plays but it doesn't equate into statistics. If he averaged over 15+ ppg then he would be the complete player and definitely MVP

Reply #446743 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I think there is definitely a case for Damo for MVP.

Remember the MVP is not necessarily for the best player in the league but for the one most valuable to his team.

It can be argued that Damo is critical to the Wildcats. He sets the tone defensively, on offence his improvement on the perimeter means he has to be respected.

Reply #446767 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Traditionally it's weighted heavily to scorers so I don't think he has a real chance of winning.

True basketball fans understand his value though.

Reply #446768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Camby, then on that criteria, it's Clarke from the Hawks, right?

Reply #446773 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

If he scores double figures for the rest of the season then I'm saying yes!

At the very least he should be all NBL second team and come all-star time I reckon he'd give the MVP award a shake.

There is not a team in the league that wouldn't benefit greatly from having Damo, the teams played this week included, Adelaide could get rid of the monster contract on that waste of a Boomers jersey 'Gibbo' and Sydney might actually score!

Keep it up captain

Reply #446774 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sydney had Damian Martin-lite and they got rid of him. Went from losing to Perth by 12 and 10 to losing by 43!

Reply #446776 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Great to see him getting respect on this forum from opposition fans. MVP Will be won by a leading scorer but for me he has been wildcats MVP so far

Reply #446782 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Isaac, yes, but often the team would have to be winning to get that consideration.

I would not be unhappy if Clarke won MVP as he is carrying an extraordinary load for the Hawks.

Reply #446786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I brought this up in Ozhoops earlier this season.

Massively deserving winner of this award. Any bball purist can see this.

Reply #446790 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

MVP or not, if he keeps shooting the ball like this he has to make the Boomers, especially given the style Lemanis wants to play will suit his game perfectly.

Reply #446791 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think he also has a shot at boomers next year, his improved shooting and experience make him a chance imo

Reply #446794 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Don't think I've seen him play a better game.
Yep, know it's a big statement. He is superb.
Better make the Boomers, seriously wrong if not going the next step.

Reply #446829 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Has the "Gibbo for MVP" thread been deleted?

Reply #446830 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Martin is a brilliant player, certainly one of the best in the league but playing on a stacked Perth team means he won't get MVP. That will likely go to Goulding where he stands out on an otherwise pretty average team.

Reply #446833 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

No other Wildcat has been as consistent as Damo to this point, and no player in the NBL brings defence and intangibles the way he does. Ennis has been great for our league, but the cracks are starting to show as opposing coaches continue to scout his game. I'd rate Damo ahead of Ennis as the most important player on their roster.

Ervin, Goulding and Ogilvy would otherwise be the front runners. In terms of deservingness (not chance of winning the award) Damo is in the mix thus far.

Reply #446836 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Not at this stage. If he becomes a scorer, then he becomes a better chance.

MVP is decided by votes from the 2 head coaches after each game. At least half of the NBL head coaches have a playing background as a guard (Wright, Heal, McLeod, Dennis). Understanding the playmaking role of a guard means they may better recognise and favour the "intangibles" talked about above. McLeod and Dennis I would think would also particularly appreciate the defensive aspect of Martin's game.

Following from this, only 5 centres have won MVP in the last 30 years (including Anstey twice). They were all Australian players, so that may count in Ogilvy's favour.

13 guards have won MVP in the last 30 years (including A. Gaze 6 times). They were all, without exception, scoring guards. The closest to a pure point guard winner was Jackson, last year, who average 14.6 points per game.

Players like Grace, McDonald, Mee, Smyth etcetera, who were probably closer to the Martin style of point guard, simply don't win MVP, regardless of their importance to their team's mojo and performance. I suspect that's why the NBL decided they needed the Best Defensive Player award.

Given the above, I couldn't see Martin winning the MVP ahead of Goulding, Ervin and Ennis, at this stage of the season. Ogilvy as a roughie but this weekend's game showed his dependence on being fed the ball by his team. But there are 20 games to go!

Reply #446849 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:32 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754