GuesswhosBACK
Years ago

Your Boomers world cup team?

World cup is less than a year away now, and looks like we will be missing bogut... AGAIN (anyone even slightly surprised?) So.. What is your Boomers team?... We aren't starved for choice this team... except maybe at back up point guard.. (where we will probably end up resorting to gibson or martin again)

Also... Goulding... You would think he has a spot wouldn't ya?

Topic #33202 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How do you know Bogut won't play?

Reply #446762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly
Mills
Bogut
Baynes
Ingles

Exum
Newley
Andersen
Ogilvy
Creek

Goulding
Drmic

Reply #446763 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

> How do you know Bogut won't play?

He has all but said it himself already.
Next Olympics are the only chance we have of seeing him in green & gold IMO, and even then only if his health & contractual situations align.

Reply #446766 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

For the sake of this exercise I will assume all players are available/healthy and go with;

Mills
Dellavedova
Ingles
Baynes
Bogut

Exum (Martin if Exum not available)
Goulding
Drmic
Worthington Or Newley
Bairstow
Motum
Nevill

Hard to put a squad together
* will exum focus on NBA
* will Bogut play
* Dellavedova to be captain
* will Jawai,Barlow and Andersen still be in the mix

Reply #446769 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

My current team assuming all fit:

Bogut Wortho Newley Ingles Delly
Jawai Baynes Andersen Goulding Exum Mills Martin

Emerg: Nevill Ogilvy Barlow Gibson

Team I think Lemanis will pick:

Bogut Andersen Ingles Mills Delly
Maric Baynes Wortho Barlow Broekhoff Exum Gibson

Reply #446771 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I forgot Ogilvy, well if Bogut doesn't play maybe add him or replace Motum

Reply #446778 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd love to see Ogilvy get chosen in the squad and have his return here been enough to get him there and whether he makes final cut I'll leave in the hands of Lemanis, Longley and co.

I won't name a squad but I'll ask this semi-important question; is there any naturalized Australian worthy of a Boomers call up? In the past we have had Loggins, Fisher, Grace, Redhage etc... I can't think of anyone around that would be worth a spot in the training squad.

I'd love to see Madgen, Goulding, Damo and Gliddon at the very least be included in the training squad

Reply #446805 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

@ guesswhosBACK out of interest since its your thread who is in your boomers team?

Reply #446807 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Good point Proud there are only 3 naturalised players, Gruber, Ballinger and Redhage who is the pick of the 3 and he has been there before (2008). The next generation is more about sons of imports Exum,Simmons,Bolden etc

Reply #446809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team needs to finish top 4 for the program to get enough funding to continue to be a serious challenger in the future!!

Would like to see this group in action...

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Anderson
Bogut

Exum
Goulding
Newley
Broekhoff
Motum
Bairstow
Baynes

Reply #446820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a New Zealander but in my opinion this would be the best Boomer team.

Starters:
PG: Patrick Mills
SG: Matthew Dellavedova
SF: Joe Ingles
PF: David Andersen
C: Andrew Bogut (if out replace with Oligvy and move Baynes to starting lineup)
Bench:
Brad Newley
Aron Baynes
Cameron Bairstow
Ryan Broekhoff
Damian Martin
Brock Motum
Dante Exum (Goulding if Exum chooses to focus on NBA)

I left Jawai out because I'm unsure how much his neck thing will affect his play.

Put side-by-side with a full strength Tall Blacks team, how close do you guys think a game between the two would be.

Starters:
PG: Tai Webster
SG: Kirk Penney
SF: Tom Abercrombie
PF: Mika Vukona
C: Steven Adams
Bench:
Corey Webster
Isaac Fotu
Alex Pledger
Reuben Te Rangi
Lindsay Tait
Rob Loe
Jarrod Kenny

Reply #446822 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Delly
Goulding
Ingles
Anderson
Jawai (bogut if miracle)

Mills
Exum
Drmic/Broekhoff (most likely drmic)
Baynes
Newley
Ogilvy
Bairstow or Motum

I am not sure how this team would actually fare internationally. I would be pretty happy with the core guys but there are some unknowns. If you could add bogut and if Exum steps up I would be happy to say we could sneak top 4 but without those things guaranteed it could really fall either way.

Reply #446824 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

On the upside we do have a wealth of choice.. I wouldnt be against adding someone like cam gliddon for 3 point ability... or petrie for a neilsen like toughness... we have plenty of players who could step in... but when I look at prime scoring options we get a little thin, this is why you have to obviously have mills, drmic, goulding, Anderson. When Anderson retires hes gonna be hard to replace in this team. We have some very good form in the NBA from some of our players right now.. if they can step up we could potentially have a very succesful world cup. Would be even more so if Bogut pulled his finger out... talking about how he paid his dues because he had to share a pizza once! lol.

Reply #446825 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Dellavedova
Mills
Ingles
Anderson
Bogut

D Martin
Exum
Goulding
Newley
Motum
Baynes
Jawai

Reply #446828 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Funny seeing Worthington and Creek's names come up in this post. I never really saw Worthington play much before this season but at the moment he looks like a racehorse who has entered pre-retirement to a nice green paddock of grass. Hands down the most over-rated player in the league at the moment.

Reply #446831 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Martin has been awful as a boomer so far. Looked scared and timid and couldnt keep up. He's having a blinder in the nbl so far though. Is he worth another look?

Reply #446835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody put Ben Simmons in their team

Why?

Reply #446839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons should be there. The kid is a beast. Top 10 draft pick in my books.

Reply #446841 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I know the potential that Ben Simmons is said to have... but I dont think we should risk having too many players there solely due to potential. He has to prove he can play well against men first I think...

Reply #446842 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Delly / Martin / Exum
Mills / Goulding
Ingles / Newley
Andersen / Ogilvy / Bairstow
Bogut / Baynes

Reply #446848 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I quite like Ganymede 86 team.

Don't know why Worthington should still be included, has been disappointing.

Thankfully not many are including Maric in the team

That 6'8-6'10 SF/PF combo /point forward combo is the most uncertain for Australia.

Reply #446850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers are stacked. Solid lineup

Reply #446854 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Yeah I tend to think Wortho has served his purpose for the Boomers. At a time where we didn't have much in the Power Forward position he was highly servicable. Now with all the long athletic 3/4 guys we have.. there is really not a lot of need for him anymore. No hate for wortho.. but he has served his purpose.

PlaymakerMo... No Jawai?

have to remember chances of bogut pulling his finger out is remote.. I definitely think Ogilvy should be somewhere on the team though. When he has a good point guard to set him up, he is a tough cover.

Reply #446858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andersen is past it. He doesn't rebound or play d and now recovering from injury, lots of ?? with him. If Motum shows something in europe, by that I mean can he hit a 15 foot jump shoot and stretch the d (he did this in college) he gets a start for mine.

Bogut won't play.

Simmons is a good pick for me, deep on the bench, last picked, can play the 2/3

Yes to Exum.

Starters

Delly
Mills
Ingles
Motum (If not him with know Andersen who?)
Baynes

reserves

Exum - only need one backup point, Mills can play 1 if needed
Newley
Broekhoff
Ogilvy
Jawai - if he's still recovering I go with Maric, just because he's big and nasty
Bairstow
Simmons

Reply #446869 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Anonymous.. I feel like there needs to be more scoring from the bench. this is where goulding just cant be overlooked

Reply #446871 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Simmons will be a boomer that's a no brainer but it's a matter of when I think he will be a lock for 2016. Along with Bolden,Pineau etc we will have a good crop of forwards in 6'8 to 6'10 range as wortho and Barlow retire.

Reply #446872 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

true Steven, there's a potential for a really exciting and different looking Boomers team with those guys, provided they continue to work hard and develop

Reply #446880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be a good game against NZ

we would get the win - in a seven game series IMO it would go 6. Interesting side note - do nz fans think Penney still has all his game, is he ageing now ?

Agree with comment re bench scoring ... is Drmic the answer? Goulding yeah or does he become the p crawford from London, sits on bench and cheers ... can he play D at that level? I haven't seen him play lately

Reply #446881 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Penney is playing in Turkey and scoring around 17ppg i think from memory.
Yeah he still has mad game.

Reply #446884 | Report this post

Moneyballer  
Years ago

Bogut / Jawai
Baynes / Simmons
Ingles / Newley
Exum / Goulding
Delly / Mills

Reply #446889 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I would be inclined to include Goulding and Drmic... both have great scoring ability. I was big on Broekhoff til I saw him play for the Boomer's now I just don't really know but I suppose he would have to get a camp invite.

Reply #446891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moneyball is on the money

Reply #446892 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

GuesswhosBACK, based on the Boomers' recent history I believe there's just about no chance of Jawai AND Bogut suiting up for the World Championships and/or Olympics. Essentially I consider those two interchangeable.

Re bench scoring: Goulding fits the zone-buster role that Crawford played in the '12 Olympics, but I could see him playing a larger role at the World Championships given his improvement over the past few years. While obviously not as quick and talented, I could see him backing up Mills in an identical role playing off-ball.

Until now I had no idea he was such a prolific scorer, and based on his college statistics Drmic could snag a backup guard position from the likes of Exum/Martin/Gibson etc.

Reply #446896 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Jawai and Brett Brown didnt like eachother... Jawai has already said to Lemanis that he is keen... I think he is an ok shot to make it.

As for Bogut, who knows... I kinda count him out a bit too... but, his coach has just said he is cool if Bogues wants to rep aus in the off season so maybe that might make Andrew consider it. If not, he should have his citizenship revoked lol

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8760203

Reply #446899 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Goulding has found form now that Magden is recovering from injuries but before his shoulder etc there was a lot of talk of Magden having a shot at a similar Boomers role.

A fully fit Ben Magden Vs a fully fit Chris Goulding?

Thoughts/opinions, strengths/weaknesses?

Reply #446902 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Chris Goulding would be my pick out of the 2. More athletic... longer, taller, seems to hit tough shots and create his own shots.

Madgen is not particularly athletic, could end up having his shot blocked at international level. I don't see what effect Madge would have for the Boomers unless the offense was centered around him. I think Gouldings a guy who will just will himself to score... I think thats the difference. I don't think Madgen is A grade Boomers material solely on his lack of physical attributes... Goulding however... is.

Reply #446903 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

but only last season Magden was scoring at a great clip and was knocking down all sorts of tough shots with far more physical defense draped over him and he seemed fairly gritty.
Goulding yes is more athletic and has been scoring great so far this season.

Who is the better defender?

Reply #446904 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

madge probably trys harder on defense and gives more effort. And for that much is the better defender...

Athleticism, length mean A LOT in international ball... and sure... like Delly, you could lack both and still do well... BUT if your choosing 2 guys who bring the same things... but one is athletic and long, the other is not.. your gonna go the athlete every time. So Goulding... unless Madgen shows he can do something that Goulding cant... and I havent seen that

Reply #446905 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Actually, they are the same height.

Madgen is in fact listed at 1cm taller.

Goulding looks a lot taller though..id say he has superior wingspan.
Really long arms.

I would take Goulding.

He has shown plenty of ways to score this year and just looks like he would be a tougher cover internationally

Reply #446914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding will have NBA experience by 2014 so I'd say Goulding

Reply #446920 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Stupid question but who pays for travel and accommodation in training camp?

Hold with me for a second here, if we have say a camp of like 14 players then I think players like Nevill, Madgen, Damo, Ogilvy, Petrie, Gliddon and absolutely anyone else worth their weight in salt should get their arse down to training camp and absolutely bust their guts and if 40 players turn up then would that really be that awful?

Andrej can run plays and show his defensive structures to a greater number, the camp would be ruthless with so much competition, Luc gets to work with heaps of quality big men (as he loves doing) and if someone with their massive ego gets shown up by Madgen/Damo or Petrie... Then who do you select?

Lucky that is Andrej's decision and not mine, but I just want to be excited by every player that wears a Boomers jersey that comes onto court (kinda like how I feel with our next batsman coming out to bat gets me excited)

Reply #446921 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

As for Tall blacks can you play Adams and Pledger on the court at the same time?

I still think Vukona is vulnerable being the undersized power forward that he's playing

Would twin towers be an option?

Reply #446922 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

No I would play Pledger off the bench behind Adams.
Vukona has been super effective at international level in the past and will be even better with his improved mid range jumper. 7ft St Louis Billiken Rob Loe can play PF so I would back Vukona with him.

Any half decent american PG that we can naturalize and claim as our own/Tai Webster
Kirk Penney/Corey Webster
Tom Abercrombie/Rueban TeRangi
Mika Vukona/Rob Loe/Isaac Fotu
Steven Adams/Alex Pledger

First Tall Blacks squad to have the luxury of 3x 7ft players?

Rely heavily on Tai Webster/Rob Loe/Isaac Fotu developing into the players their potential suggests and Penney and Adams being available. Penney I think will realize this is one of the most talented TallBlacks squads in a long time if not ever and will be keen as long as he's fit & healthy and OKC already release Ibaka, Durant & Westbrook for national duties and have said to Adams reportedly that they see International Basketball as a huge honor for them and the player concerned.

Reply #446926 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

New Zealand A team with kirk Penny would be a bit of a handful for some teams and I think they might catch a european power or 2 unawares.

I think Aus however, is actually a medal threat next year... especially so if Bogut can get up out of bed for it. Right now we have 4 aussies playing decent NBA minutes... 2 draft picks, 2 past NBA players and probably 3 guys with some NBA hope in drmic, goulding and Ingles... I think we could have a dangerous team here.

Reply #446934 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Fotu is a legit NBA chance.

Have a look at the numbers he is putting up.

I know he is playing for a mid-major but he is only in his second year.

Only concern is that he is a bit of a tweener (bit similar to Bennet)

Reply #446937 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Yes Fotu's numbers are good all be it against some weaker opponents. Fotu needs to spend some time learning the Dillon Boucher art of niggle, hustle and dropping discreet dimes. He is improving in Hawaii but gets marked down for looking like Side Show Bob.
Rob Loe gives NZ some different looks at PF with his 7ft frame and ability to shoot the 3ball while Mika Vukona is more of a PointForward.
Mika Vukona is still #1 "Kiwi" PF in NZ/Aus by a bit with BJ Anthony next in line but Loe's International & NCAA experience, size and skillset get him the job with Fotu getting the nod over Anthony for the 3rd string spot based on potential alone IMO.

Nebraska have started to see what Tai Webster is about after a couple of quiet -ish outings as he found his feet against the Georgia Bulldogs

Reply #446945 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Btw, don't mean to hijack the thread..

But Webster has just grown 2 inches in 2 or so months.

He was 6"2ish when he left now Nebraska and ESPN have him listed at 6"4. I know they probably overexaggerate height a little but given his age he might end up at 6"5ish.

That could allow him to move to the SG position for the future.

Reply #446952 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Australiasia's 6'2 would be close to 6'0 and America's 6'2 is about 6'4

Be pissed if come world champs our countries don't kick some arse as we have quality teams that are only getting better.

As for Pledger, becoming a big fan over the past couple of seasons and don't want to see him wasted on the bench... Whilst I don't think he has earned his 'chief' nickname, he sure wont be the worst 7 footer in the tournament!

Reply #447003 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger has been playing great and I would have started him if Adams had not made such great strides so quickly.
It is in NZ's interests for Tai to develop into a PG as opposed to SG, Corey will have that position on lock when Penney retires from International basketball.

Reply #447013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know whether Motum is playing well in Europe?

Reply #447037 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

No idea how motum is doing.

Also, have to add... I wouldn't be entirely against giving Shawn redhage a shot... He is a scorer and a tough player that really irritates opposition teams. And fans watching... but he puts the ball in the hole... and we do need as many guys as possible who can do that.

Reply #447062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PG/SG 6'0 Mills(lock)
PG 6'4 Dellavedova(lock)
PG/SG 6'6 Exum(swap for 6'2 Martin? 6'3 Greenwood?)
SG 6'4 Goulding(swap for 6'3 Madgen?)
SG/SF 6'7 Newley(lock)
SF 6'8 Ingles(lock)
SF/PF 6'9 Simmons(swap for 6'8 Worthington?)
PF/C 6'10 Bairstow(lock)
PF/C 6'10 Baynes(swap for 6'9 Knight?)
PF/C 6'11 Johnson(swap for 6'10 Motum)
PF/C 7'0 Anderson (swap for 7'2 Neville?)
C 7'0 Bogut(swap for 6'11 Ogilvy?)

Reply #477354 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

Lets end all talk of Ben Madgen and an A grade Boomers team.. it belittles us.

Reply #477356 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Daniel Johnson ahead of Nathan Jawai doesn't sound right to me. Would take Maric over DJ

Reply #477361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dellavedova
Mills
Exum
Goulding
Gliddon
Newley
Ingles
Motum
Bairstow
Anderson
Baynes
Neville

I'm assuming Bogut will not be available.

Reply #477362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

P.G Delly, Exum, D Martin

S.G Mills, Goulding

S.F Ingles, Newley

P.F Anderson, Bairstow, Worthington

C. Baynes, Jawai

Reply #477363 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Swap Exum out for Martin or Greenwood? That has to be a joke right?

No way Baynes is left out for Knight either.

Health and form being equal, I'd give Goulding the nod ahead of Madgen. I just think Goulding is more capable of getting his shot off at international level.

Reply #477364 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

It's a shame that Worthington is still in the mix for selection looks like I will have to agree to disagree with most posters. Would prefer Petrie.

Reply #477366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% with you, Steven. Wortho looked decent as a focal-point with room to make mistakes in the first couple of games against China, but I thought Petrie looked great in a Boomers outfit much closer to full-strength against NZ last year. Can't see Wortho with the same ability to make simple facilitating plays from ninth or lower in the rotation.

Reply #477371 | Report this post

matt  
Years ago

what about Simmons he needs to be given the experience of being around the group as he will be a key player come 2016. Like the 11th or 12th man will see any action anyway similar to Peter Crawford in London

Reply #477373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ as a PF in offense, in my opinion is 2nd to bairstow.
(prefer over Motum, Anderson and Baynes-who is not a legit PF and Petrie) Worthington more of a SF.

Jawai can only play centre and there are better choices in Bogut(shot blocker-offense), Baynes(Defense), Anderson(Scorer), Neville(Scorer) and Ogilvy(Rebounds), Maric??.

What does Jawai do well? slam dunk?

Gliddon... horrible of late, no chance.

Reply #477376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starting line up:

PG Dellavedova
SG Mills
SF Ingles
PF Bairstow
C Bogut (if he plays)

line up 2:

PG Mills or Exum
SG Goulding or Exum
SF Newley or Simmons
PF Johnson or Anderson
C Baynes or Anderson

Reply #477378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:00 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754