JW21
Years ago

Sydney Kings, damaging the brand.

43 point thumping!!! How embarrassing.
What a joke! Is this a record in the 40 minute era? Or are Perth simply THAT good? Serious questions.
I wonder how Heal will dress this one up?
How about - I did not coach well and I have been unable to get this team to perform at a high level consistently so far this season, despite all my promises and excuses.
At least some of us now 'casual' Kings fans will respect a statement along those lines.
All this Sam Young hype for that bloody result! I know it is his first game but teams usually don't lose that badly. Did they even have a go!?
So we get rid of our starting point guard for a small forward. Heal held a point guard try out camp in the off season, guys came from all over Australia to try out, to replace good players in that position like Corin Henry, Aaron Bruce and Luke Martin. Now there is not a single point guard on the roster. Go figure.
Perhaps Heal would recruit differently if he was spending his own money on the team! Maybe he wouldn't look after his mates so much. Maybe he would make professional decisions in the clubs best interest. This is what I would expect of the head coach if I had a vested interest in the Sydney Kings.
Blown away by the scoreline. I've been a fan for years, well over a decade. My kids have been 'persuaded' to support their home city team, even thier interest has fallen off this season. Sorry to say that the franchise won't be getting anymore of my hard earned money on ticket sales and or merchandise.
43 point loss! FoxSports described the performance as 'humiliating'.
Not to mention the way in which management handled Jesse Sanders, what a complete lack of common courtesy. He must have felt so disrespected but to his credit he conducted himself with absolute class. The whole 'Young in Sanders out' situation was simply amatuer - hour.
How are fans suppose to have faith that things are headed in the right direction if this is how management treat their own players or handle things 'in - house' or behind closed doors? In any work place this would be considered a very poor effort.
Also worth mentioning, the way which Kings legends Dwayne McClain, Leon Trimmingham and Jason Smith (to name a few) were treated on opening night. They were the second halftime act behind a bunch of hip hop kids. A brief video was shown, poor quality at that, they were given a T- SHIRT at half court and shuffled off the court. What a disgrace. I felt embarrassed for them. They deserved much better. Have some professionalism, give each member of the 25th anniversary team a framed singlet or a plaque or something significant for their efforts! Muster up something better than a cotton t - shirt.
While on the topic, in my opinion, Ben Madgen was not deserving of inclusion in that 'team'. Not even close. I'm all for promoting the current Kings guys but there are several former players more deserving - off the top of my head, Bolden, Utoff, Sheridan, Ere, Carrawell, Roberts, Sandford, Stiff, Franklin, Draper, even Drmic and Melmeth, and several others. It was a nice gesture and a worthy celebration but Madgen's inclusion is pre mature and somewhat of a mockery.
I personally find the Kings ignorance or indifference towards true basketball fans or basketball purists like myself quite frustrating at times, as though they try to 'pull the wool' over the fans eyes far too often. For example - they trot out Sam Young and expect a full house at the next home game then serve up a 43 point loss. Absolute joke.
An iconic franchise with a proud history is getting it wrong continually, on so many levels. Pull your head in Kings. Sydney deserves better!

Topic #33207 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Did they even have a go!?
Did you watch the game?

Reply #446924 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

This rant sounds familiar.

Reply #446930 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

JW21... I don't think the Kings went out on Sunday and asked themselves "How can we insult our fans the most?... Oh I know, lets lose by 43 points!"..

I am very sure they genuinely tried. Whether or not they threw themselves after lose balls and put there body on the line, I can't say... but no one went out there wanting to lose. For the most part, Yes... perth kind of IS that good.

As for being negative about Shane Heal as a coach... I think you need to open your eyes a bit mate. Even WITH jesse sanders in the team, Sydney has an especially weak backcourt. Guys like Weeks and Kevin White don't even belong in the league... they should be somewhere in SEABL... not the NBL, the fact that he gets guys on that level to compete in the NBL is a testament to him. And then you have consider that Ben Allen is on your team... You may as well just put a 6 ft 10 peice of styrofoam in the key, because thats all he is. And despite this, your team is top 4!!!!!

These things you list as "insults to the fans" are actually things every team in the league pretty much does. The 25th aniversary team debacle is pretty stock standard NBL conduct... send them out for a T shirt, then send them on their way... there is nothing incredibly different about that... and if other NBL teams were doing it better then I think you would have a case. The Sydney Kings could also learn to use the so called "stars" that come to the games as cheap promotion... they fail to do so, but show me an NBL team that properly capitolises on its opportunities?

Ok, the Jesse Samders thing WAS a bit of a mess up. They didnt really want to tell jesse when they did, but some player agent spilled the beans. A tough situation, they misshandled it... but the actually TEAM, HIM, and SHANE handled it with class.

If you wanna complain about a team getting all public relations decisions wrong, you have NOTHING to complain about in comparison to the 36ers during the Marty Clarke era! everything you say pales in comparison to that. But as good fans, me, and many others stuck it out with the team... now where are we? Second on the ladder... at 7-3.. breathing down perths neck.

Ok, you dont have to go to games, you don't have to spend your money that way, you have a right to feel frustrated.. but put it all in perspective. Maybe try and wait things out even... you dont wanna be the guy who jumps on the bandwagon only when things go well... it screams lack of charactor.

As for Sam Young... yeah didn't start out great... I think he underestimated his competition... I expect he will probably have an easy ride against most teams in the league... just not perth.... or probably adelaide

Reply #446931 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Im not going to read all that

Reply #446932 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Aren't you 7-2, not -3?

Reply #446935 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

7-2, my bad

Reply #446939 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Cliff notes?

Reply #446940 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Great post if they dont win another game dickhead!!

Reply #446941 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ tl;dr = "Losing by 43 is a rather a setback and I'm quite upset at the point guard and import situations."

Reply #446943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sack Marty!!

Reply #446944 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

thanks Nathan.

when was the last time anyone in Sydney cared about winning?

I thought it was all about slam dunks and Home & Away?

Reply #446946 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

There was also a legitimate sounding problem with how they handled the 25yr team in terms of hauling them out after a music act at half time for a t-shirt and shove-off.

Reply #446947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you comment when the Hawks got flogged? Or maybe simply just a Kings hater.

Reply #446948 | Report this post

Pauly B  
Years ago

It was one game........

Reply #446954 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

at least the Kings aren't getting flogged at home anymore. They save those for road games now.

But yeah, its just one game. Even good teams get the occasional thrashing.

Reply #446962 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Great post JW21, you are pretty spot on with most of those issues, I really cannot believe how amateurish some of these clubs are run, I understand funds are very tight with most clubs but the operational side with many clubs is laughable.

Reply #446975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the kings had won then everyone would be saying what a master stoke and a genius heal is. Its a fine line. IMO it was a poor decision to sack sanders but you cant expect for young to be firing and the team to be gelling after one game. Its too early to say just yet if it was the right call.

Cudos to the fine rant!

Reply #446977 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ If they had won, yes, but on the other hand, you are talking about a whopping 44 points of turnaround there.

Reply #446988 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Young will dominate!! 1st game and in perth but he is built like a brick! Only thing i will say that he did'nt pass the ball and thought he will beat perth on his own. Plus aj and madgen will see less of the ball. Can't wait to see him play for the rest of the season. No true pg is gona cost them a few wins bad loss u move on. Perth got smashed by 33 couple yrs back and what? Perth caught fire and no pg to control the tempo for syd

Reply #447007 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

In regards to the anniversary team celebrations, I thought the league was meant to be talking amongst themselves to better the overall product in non basketball areas...

No way in hell was that the same standard as in Perth with Dr. Jack Bendat and having his 4 favourite cheerleaders helping him present a framed jersey and other such stuff; to people like Jarred Prue (who I loved) but only played 6 games with the club but as recognition for giving up his time in being Matt Knight's injury replacement.

At the game on Sunday, James Crawford was presented his award at half time and they even sold 'Alabama Slammer' one off red t-shirts at the game, so we were wild for the greatest JC to ever live!

What I'm trying to say is that Dwayne McClain and Leon Trimmingham etc. should have merchandise made for them to be sold at home games!

Heck Melbourne Tigers should have done it with Mark Bradtke.

If you can sell something then it's worth a gamble to try, those purchasing look and think $20 for a club legend shirt... I have to have that

Reply #447011 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Every league needs a team that makes poor roster decisions so fans can 2nd guess the coach. The 36ers filled that role very capably for a few years but the Kings were working hard in the background all that time & now their effort & patience has paid off.

Reply #447026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings brand is already damaged post Goorjian/Johnson era. A mediocre team like they were in the 90s except without the fanfare/no one in Sydney caring so it's even worse than ever before.

Reply #447115 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754