Anonymous
Years ago

Worthington's comments about Rose injury

Did anyone see over the weekend Mark Worthington on twitter going off at Derrick Rose calling him soft and a heart the size of a poppy seed when he went down hurt?Just cos he lost a bet on the game.It has been removed after 24hrs,This is such a low dog act for a another sportsman to me saying crap like that.

Topic #33210 | Report this topic

Proud  
Years ago

Entitled to his opinion and I'm not sure why it was taken down.

Rose is more fragile than a boxer with a glass jaw

Reply #447017 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He clearly apologised later saying he hadn't known the severity of the injury.

If he has tore his ACL I regret my last tweet!

Reply #447020 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

What difference does it make? An injury is an injury - if your body fails you it has nothing to do with heart or mentality.

Reply #447023 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For months and months last season, people were suggesting that Rose was taking too long to rehab, not tough enough to come back quickly, etc. This could've been a "toughen up and play through it" comment which is subjective at best and impossible to judge as a third party.

Reply #447033 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

That's right, he went straight for the comment that people were saying about an injured player. Says it all.

His "apology" is just like David Warner's apology. He made a comment knowing something about a player, didn't understand the full significance of the injury/illness, so when it's revealed that it's more severe or it comes under public scrutiny, he is sorry....that he got caught.

If Redhage had made the same comment....

Reply #447038 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wortho is one of the few guys in the NBL that I will gladly call a tosser.

Reply #447042 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Redhage wouldn't as he himself has suffered through a serious almost career ending injury and would have kept his mouth shut. Corletto would have blamed the refs and docters

Reply #447043 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I think 99% of players would not make the same comment but Wortho still has the Aussie teenager pretend tough guy syndrome that most blokes grow out of in the early 20's.

Reply #447048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Twitter is not for serious journalism. Leave that to online forums!

Reply #447049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho is such a dumb bogan. Not one likeable quality in the guy.

Reply #447144 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I think people are making an issue out of nothing.

You seen some of the replies he got? People saying they wish he died etc. Isn't THAT worse than what he said?

Perspective people...

Reply #447148 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The comments he got back are inappropriate, but irrelevant.

Reply #447149 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

One would think that as a professional player who has also suffered his share of injuries, that he'd show more restraint or understanding.

I really found it hard to believe when I first heard about it.

Reply #447156 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

In all fairness, Wortho's comments came not long after the actual injury occurred when there was no real information about anything.

I was watching the game on League Pass and I'll be honest, I didn't think it looked like anything even remotely serious (had flashbacks to Pierce being carried off in the finals).
Even on the slow motion replays and stuff there was nothing to initially suggest it was a significant injury to anyone but a doctor.

My first thought was that it was the same leg as his ACL surgery and he was being a little bit too cautious and probably could have kept playing - but neither I, nor Wortho, are trained doctors to make a call on that.

Reply #447164 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's just a stupid "I wasn't thinking" comment, which twitter and all sorts of other social media are full of, but I guess we hold some people to a higher standard and think that especially since they're in a similar situation, they should know better... It doesn't help that the combination of social media being immediate and being not thinking really exposes peoples true natures and some people are just dicks...

This isn't the first time Wortho has deleted a tweet... remember that "Dwarf on Fire" nonsense in the AFL on mad monday? Wortho posted a picture of him with a lighter behind Anstey at the bar with a comment about balancing things out... That didn't last long at all...

Also he felt he needed to be a smart arse about Sanders leaving as well... One would think that being a professional basketballer and the fact that Sanders did nothing wrong, he'd be a bit more sensitive to his situation, but dicks will do what dicks will do...

Reply #447189 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

And the time he got on radio and said "BA are a joke" when the Dragons decided to pull the pin after haemorrhaging money.

Reply #447203 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

at least he didn't say anything about the refs

Reply #447209 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Nope, he tweeted something from the bench once about the refs while he was injured.

Reply #447211 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Just watching his antics in the TSV / Melb game on sunday arvo from a close vantage point sealed the deal for me.

The amount of childish whinging, fake tough guy intimidation and dirty play he gets away with is nonsense. He's not even close to being a star player in this league any more so he shouldn't be getting that preferential treatment

At one point after a particularly childish fake tough guy move (after the whistle, Wortho tried to steal the ball away from Conklin while muttering something boneheaded, getting in his face and trying to stare him down, despite it being Crocs ball) I heard Brian Conklin calmly say to the ref, "come on man, if I do anything remotely like that I get T'd up in a second..."

The ref conceded that maybe that was true and the game moved on, Wortho's antics unchecked and unabated...

Reply #447221 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He's still a great player IMO, despite the lack of opinion filter. Not many in Adelaide wouldn't fear him playing us here. He and Redhage always cause us trouble.

Reply #447294 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Redhage is more consistent than Worthington IMO.

Reply #447297 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Worthington tends to fill gaps in scoring rather than go out to do everything himself from the start. Redhage, IMO, isn't afraid to look for his shots. That's not to say Redhage tends to take bad shots though, he's just more proactive.

Reply #447303 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

he had a bet on the game? are basketball players allowed to bet on other basketball matches under FIBA rules??

footballers definitely can't under FIFA rules.

Reply #447306 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Redhage over Worthington imo. Also he is not a tool.

Reply #447307 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree that Redhage is more proactive in looking for his shot , but is it that Worthington tends to pick his moments more or more that he disappears for stretches?

Reply #447308 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

that is up for debate Steven.

Reply #447309 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think with Redhage's floaters and hook shots his range of shots he has a great versatility when it comes to taking 'good shots' than Wortho. And, Mystro, I would say that he does seem to go missing from time to time.

Reply #447310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure rose is concerned about what a no name that plays in australia says.

Reply #447618 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754