Curious
Years ago

New 20 Boys State Coach

Now with Kinsman the AIS womens coach, who will be the front runner to get the head coaching role of the under 20's state side???

Mesecke?
Loveday?
Gliddon?
Schueller?
Hill?
Holland?

Topic #3322 | Report this topic

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Lock in a) Mesecke please Curious.

Reply #38227 | Report this post

What the....  
Years ago

yeh hes probably the pick but he hasnt been around these boys as much as say the likes of loveday and schueller... Those two would do the best job i recon.!

Reply #38231 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

Schueller would be my pick.

Gliddon and Meschke proved over the classics what top quality coaches they are, i think we need to blood the next wave of supercoach.

Reply #38233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schuller is the bomb! omg that guy is amazing! he coaches like no other! but al seriousness i think he is the best for it! with loveday!

Reply #38235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that schuller would do a good job, he was assistant with most of those boys in 18s, and has seen them all play a lot. He would to really well with that group. Loveday is another good choice, as he has the same experience with this group.

Reply #38239 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

Would prefer to see the results of all teams competing in the upcoming round of Nationals (16&18s) before deciding. Maybe a female coach is worthy; someone with WNBL experience? Has to be male? (await replies on this idea!!...:P:P)

Perhaps, also, players/parents of the past 1/3 years in U16/18/20 State Teams be interviewed for feedback on all the coaches they have had. It is no different to Work Performance Evaluation that is done in some companies today and/or for Belpin testing. Trust an application and panel interview process is used, and maybe have applicants provide a Future Directions & Strategy document at interview!! Too an important position, any State Coaching role, imho for quick decisions.

Reply #38255 | Report this post

LBurds  
Years ago

Schueller would be my pick, he is the reigning under 20's state champ coach and knows how to manage talent. He has a great repore with the guys who would be likely to make the team and is a great motivator. His experience with the 18's group last year and this year would benefit his role and i personaly feel from experience he would be the best fit for this role.

Reply #38261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SA bball is going to be the force it should be then they will not give 24 year old an under 20 state side.

Reply #38262 | Report this post

LBurds  
Years ago

He would do better than anyone older just needs the chance to show what he can do, he did wonders with the north 20's this year and many a person speaks highly of what he can achieve given the chance

Reply #38265 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

What the.... Indeed. Ummm you might want to check your facts. Mesecke coached this State team when they were in u18's. You think he might know them a bit in a similar situation.

Pete, yes we do need new blood, but is Nationals really the time to give an unproven coach a chance?

Reply #38266 | Report this post

LBurds  
Years ago

Mescke coached when all those kids were first years you tard, he coached me as a second year so he didnt coach this group he was at the tute...you tard

Reply #38268 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

how many years has Schuller been at SASI?
He has coached div 1 teams (quite a few different clubs and grades), and has been state assistant coach.

What more must a coach do?

How long is long enough being the bridesmaid?

I am not simply advocating my vote for him, but i think we mustn't rely on a select few (good) coaches to take on all the responsibilities, simply because they have been there the longest.

I think there is a quote about eggs and a basket that would fit the point i am trying to make.

If he isn't Nationals ready, what is left for Schuller that he hasn't done?

(They were all honest questions, not rhetorical.)

Reply #38269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

leif - can you specify which he coached when please.

Reply #38270 | Report this post

LBurds  
Years ago

Mescke coached me in 2003, schueller has been assistant 18's coach last year and this year with loveday and has done well with north 20's this year as well as mens!

Reply #38271 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

My apologies, I forgot that it is 2006 that we are talking about. It is still a little presumtious to say that he doesn't know them well. Any State Coach worth their salt is familiar with much more than just the age they currently coach.

Reply #38272 | Report this post

LBurds  
Years ago

and thats why i think schueller is the most likely and best candidate for the job since he has the experience with the group and is a proven worth while coach!

Reply #38273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not jason bald he was assistant the last two years

Reply #38279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Logical option, but he was recently appointed Eastern's new JDO. Would he have time?

Reply #38280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schueller is much more qualified. Jason is great at under 16's country boys and should stay there. would still remain as a good assistant coach though

Reply #38281 | Report this post

I Love Scotch  
Years ago

Schueller for U20 Bys State

Schueller for Most Valuable Coach

Schueller for Mayor

Schueller for Prime Minister

Schueller for President

Whoa got a bit out of hand there.

Either the way the guy can coach and should be given the chance.

Reply #38286 | Report this post

Dougie  
Years ago

I think if Kingsman doesn't coach, then Sweens should be upgraded from manager to coach!

Reply #38297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Schuller behaves like he does at ABl games, he will not last long at a National or as a State coach!!!
He would be a bad choice.

Reply #38316 | Report this post

The Pioneer  
Years ago

I would like to back Dougie's opinion of Sweens as the new coach. He has been with Dean for years now.

Reply #38317 | Report this post

new name please  
Years ago

what about David Brent, he is an enterainer and motivator.

Reply #38323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Justin Schueller is being made a god y this sight...what the hell is going on over there in SA. Must be pretty light on coaching talent / prospects if JS is the front runner.
Age shouldnt come into it, bobby knight started out at 24 coaching army and he turned out ok.... difference is - knight had 4 great poaying years before he became the youngest coach in army history (just younger than his predesesor (shocking speller i know) Coach K) and with that experience he took the program to great highs.
JS was not a basketballer and was not a very good player... has he done all the things he asks his players to do? has be worked his ass into shape ever and given everything he's ever had to be a player? I bet he demands this stuff from his players... i never liked playing for someone who i knew had never played at my level.
Stick to the junior juniors i think would be the best move for JS because as expierience levels go he's only done it on the pine.

Coach Knight

Reply #38324 | Report this post

I Love Scotch  
Years ago

Coach Knight, well said for someone hiding behind an anomynous post. I would dare say there are many good coaches going around that have not played at the top level. That does not make them any less a coach. Coach Knight you are pathetic.

Reply #38326 | Report this post

Coach Knight  
Years ago

Pathetic... big call for some true honesty
- spoken in a true defensive manner by one of those Paper coaches just like JS.

Name an NBL coach who has not played at that level....?

The top coaches are those who feel the game... and feeling a division 4 game at pasadena is not what im talking about clown. To be a top coach and demand the results from your players means that you have demanded said results from yourself.

name those coaches bro....?

Reply #38331 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

I'd go for Terry Pascoe. Fire the troops up a bit and get some venom back into the games. Might see a few Woodville guys get picked too!

Reply #38334 | Report this post

I love Scotch  
Years ago

Well you better tell us your stunning qualification Coach Knight. I dont remember JS playing div 4. He played at an ABL level. But ofcourse we "paper pushing coaches", I'm guessing your also calling Scott Butler, Liam Flynn, Paul Arnott, Carlo Benetic, Steve Brehney, Mark Wallis paper pushing coaches who are not good enough. Like A said before, coach knight you have no clue.

Reply #38344 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Err, didn't Breheny play for the Boomers once upon a time in a little old event called the 1980 Moscow Olympics?

Alongside no-namers like Peter Ali, Gordie McLeod, Larry Sengstock, Phil Smyth, etc?

Reply #38346 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Really and truly i havent heard of any one on that list bar schueller and he is seriously a gun coach. it doesnt really matter that he wasnt that good a player, he really is an awesome coach! He coached me this yr and he seriously made a difference on my game. my vote...entirely with Schueller

Reply #38349 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Paul Arnott used to play ABL for Forestville back in the day, Carlo played for the Mt Gambier Pioneers or was at least in the ABL squad. Breheny played Boomers at some Olympics. I'm sure the others all played div 1 bball or were up there in their heyday!

Reply #38356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank heaven for the under 20's that this decision is not made on this forum.

Reply #38359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 20 nationals have men who are playing in nbl sides and your all thinking Justin is the man for this job? Please! Im sure he is a good coach but at that level you need somebody the team will respect. In my time nobody would even look at Dean the wrong way, kids have big egos these days and will walk all over that guy.

Reply #38362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#38362 - who did you have in mind? I dont think mahersie would be interested and do you want Mark Davis?

There wont be many guys at this yrs nationals that play nbl. State Coaching roles arent the most lucrative positions and Im sure the selection panel will pick the most qualified applicant and if that happens to be Scheuller good luck to him.

Been a good player can help and it can also be a hinderence to coaches ability to get results. When they are appointed Coaches are judged on the collective (playing & coaching) experience at the level and results.

Im not sure Arsego, Orlick, Beveridge, Shaun Ryan or Guy Molloy had long, outstanding ABL playing careers but all were very successful state coaches.

Coaching in an NBL is a different story. Not too many examples of guys that didnt play at that level been able to get it done as coaches but Im pretty sure :P U20 Nationals is not a professional coaching gig!

Good luck JS!

Reply #38374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lindsay Gaze = NBL coach who didn't play at that level albiet that the NBL Didn't exist in his day.

Orlich didn't play at that level
Aresgo didn't play at that level
Dunlap didn't play at that level
Don Shipway didn't play at that level (no nbl in his day either)
Brett Brown didn't play at that level.
Adrian Hurley ditto

Scott fisher could certainly play jury still out on his coaching

Reply #38376 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Scott Butler won a Reserve State Championship MVP,I think? Please clarify, giving you plenty of room to talk it up. Orlick Reserves, same with Franky Fire Truck. Carlo won the door prize at an ABA game in Mick Cobbings last year. The promo was "Bring a pair of shoes, get a game"(true story). Along with myself, Liam past playing ability only gets better every year he is retired. No real point to this but to give Scotty a chance to talk about his playing days.

Reply #38380 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Sorry one more point. Past history has shown most new coaches start at U/16 then get bumped up.
So my 2 cents is :
JS U/16
Arnott U/18
Loveday U/20#

That process has been good enough for great coaches like Ryan, Aresego and Orlick.

Reply #38381 | Report this post

Dyl  
Years ago

Some people on this site dont know anything...Justin is so well versed in coaching top level basketball and has made some real inroads through his participation in SASI and being affiliated with Basketball Australia. Age should have nothing to do with it and neither should whether he has played before, often you will find players who understand and read the game as well as anyone but could not transfer this into their own games. I know he is respected amongst the top coaches in SA and he puts all of his focus and effot into his coaching. I don't know any other 24yo coach who would spend as much time on developing coaching strategies, planning trainings and scouting teams, both at junior and ABL level, most other 24yo do it half-arsed and go out and get pissed on a sat'day nite. If not this yr, although it will be, he will definitely be in one of the top jobs at SA basketball...everyone must start somewhere...bring on the Bear

Reply #38391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the...

The arguments here are hilarious

By the thinking above. Lindsay Haylock should be the U/20 Girls State Coach becasue he won state championships.

Everybody who is a SASI coach should be a state coach. All 20+ of them.

If you are a nice guy you should be a state coach.

IMO (not that it matters at all, just like all the other opinions here) state coaching positions need to go to those people who are best capable of achieving success for the players and the state. Period. If that is Justin then I'll go heave.

About 10 other SASI coaches have better records as head and assistant coaches in National Championships than Justin. Probably 50+ have beter results at State Championships than him as well.

Justin is a good up and coming coach, but right now you would rate him along with about 20 other coaches as future state coaches and until he gets consistant results to match some of the other coaches in his position then he really can't be considered as anything other than an assistant.

Reply #38397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aren't we all forgetting the ultimate question:

How well does he get along with Neil?

Reply #38437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon (#38397), give us some names. 6 names were thrown down at the start, and we've all had our two cents on those. If there are "about 20 other coaches" give us some names...

Reply #38464 | Report this post

Carlo Bertetic  
Years ago

Hey Doddobird, i didnt even bring a pair of shoes, i had to drive home and get them!!!!!

Reply #38495 | Report this post

Truth Be Told  
Years ago

Schueller is a great basketball mind and sexy too! I just love the way he walks up and down the sidelines makes me warm inside. Good Luck Justin you sexy boy ;-)

May the Force Be with You!

Reply #38518 | Report this post

shc 99  
Years ago

positive and passionate.....that is a good start in my book. go for it justin, there will always be the doubters....hard work will win the games!!

Reply #38520 | Report this post

I could always see Justin being a great coach. Should he be offered this position, without a doubt he will succeed. I hear shc 99's comments, you wouldn't find a more positive and passionate bloke or coach.
Go the Raptors.

Reply #38523 | Report this post

ThaSlaminator!  
Years ago

Justin looks so damn fine in that S.A. Letterman jacket... you would be stupid NOT to give him the job!

Reply #38705 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

One of the ABL coaches would be an interesting choice. Richard Hill maybe?

Otherwise Mesecke would be a lock, one would think. This job is the premier state coaching job in the state (IMO) - as you are coaching men, and against AIS, NBL, and other amazing athletes who would rip up ABL in other states. He has the credentials.

Reply #38788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schueller is da best coach in da state, hes gotta be the front runner. He edeserves the top job, hes proven to be an awesome coach over the last couple of years and i cant see any1 being better for the job. Hes DA BOMB

Reply #38932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeh i agree justin is a fantastic coach. he coached me 4 school bball n he taught everyone sumfin new.

Hes supportive n a real good coach. He not like the others; hes cool n calm, nos his stuff. Hes not scary and doesnt yell n scream. he makes u want to do better. North is lucky to have him...

Reply #59693 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

Richard Hill is the 20 Mens State coach for 2006. End of story ...

Reply #59734 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754