Jack Toft
Years ago

36ers vs Hawks - Tonight

Another Friday night and another game at the Dome. This time it is against our good friends, the Hawks, who had a moral boosting win against the Cairns on Saturday and who seem hell bent on staying off the bottom of the ladder, don't know why, it’s fun winning wooden spoons isn’t it Marty.

With Larry out, in their last 3 games the Hawks have been bashed around and have been out rebounded by 22 boards, had 14 more turnovers, been blocked 5 more times, had 11 less assists, had 6 less steals and this should give Joey something to smile about.

Captain Oscar (mmm sounds like we should get that man a parrot and an eye patch) and the Hawks are well coached though and Gordie knows every weakness the Sixers have from the starting 5 down to the floor sweepers so this is a game fans can’t assume the Sixers will have in the bag. Gordie’s Warrawong pool room has a few coaches heads on the wall and there’s always room for one more baby kangaroo.

After last week’s epic game, we know the crowd could be down in quantity, but never in quality. Hawks have a team where any player could step up on the night and take control. The Sixers have a tightly bonded team where each has the other’s back and confidence is the key to their success. For the Hawks to win they need to dent that confidence early. After last week’s win, the Hawks will need a pretty big sledgehammer to dent it.

Sixers in double figures.

Topic #33222 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers by 10.

I expect R.Martin to continue to improve and hopefully get back to where he was before his knee injury but the Sixers are on a roll and playing great Basketball.

Reply #447208 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tough follow up for the Hawks after the Cairns win. There, they weren't facing strong rebounding bigs and so didn't give up that edge in the paint.

Would've been confident seeing them take that form to Sydney, Townsville or even Melbourne, but Adelaide are a strong rebounding team and the Hawks are definitely not. Further, Adelaide has 3 of the top 4 in the league at FTA and if those guys are drawing fouls inside, Wollongong doesn't have the depth to cover for it. Knock out Gruber and the rebounding is that much weaker. Knock out Forman and there goes the big with range.

Reply #447213 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Adelaide just played their Grand Final, Hawks will come over and whallop 'em cause they'll have nothing in the tank /bitter-Cats-fan

But really, 36ers should take this by double-digits. If Hawks can produce another strong effort like last week they might drag it closer, but its a no-excuses game for Adelaide, and I have no doubt they'll get it done.

Reply #447216 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see what the crowd will be like, following on from last week. Have the Sixers built on some momentum, or will the fact that its "only" the Hawks mean a lower crowd, given that its also on a Friday again.

Sixers to win quite easily too.

Reply #447217 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

What is the injury status for Frye?

Reply #447220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WF, and that it's a TV game again too.

Reply #447226 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Do Adelaide based games play live against the gate in South Australia?

Reply #447231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love for us to finally have a good win. As in win by a comfortable margin. Really think Adelaide should win this by around 20, but I think it will be much closer than that.

Reply #447233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan, they're on about two hour delay.

Reply #447234 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Cheers

Reply #447237 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

We are finding different ways to win. While only Friday we won without scoring a three at all.
Mostly I wanna see J.Frye go round.

Reply #447268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope they pound the ball inside to Johnson, Petrie, Schenscher, BJ all game and take advantage of their small front court and lack of depth, if we do that we should comfortably win,

This is a game where id use Schenscher more than usual and run the offense through him in the low post. He scores efficiently and is a great passer.

Reply #447270 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sounds pretty good
2 sevenfooters should get 40 points
While my hero won't got on much with his weak ankle

Reply #447278 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

You would think that if Frye plays more than 15 minutes something went wrong for Adelaide. Should be treated with kid gloves as he shouldn't be required.

Reply #447280 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Frye's injuries have been frustrating, but the minutes he is on court things happen. Even when he is not on court, he has a more than capable replacement in the form of Creek.

Reply #447282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, i like Frye, id start him, but aim to play him no more than 15-20 mins the next few weeks, especially if we can get a bit of a lead, hopefully that would help his ankle recover a little.

Reply #447285 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Well, you have the sunshine swing after this, and I think you'd want Frye pretty comfortable for that. Even with those teams turning in inconsistent performances, the swing is always a difficult prospect.

Reply #447287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next 5 games before NZB at home on the 4th Jan:

Hawks @ home 29/11
Crocs @ Crocs 6/12
Taipans @ Taipans 7/12
Taipans @ home 15/12
Crocs @ Crocs 31/12

I'd give Frye as many of those games he needs off to get his ankle right, especially now that he re-injured it on Friday night. This has been going on since he first did it in mid September.

Hell even if he needed the NZ game too I would.

We need a fit and firing Frye for the home stretch of the regular season for playoff positioning.

Reply #447290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, its worth considering giving Frye a couple of games off imo, especially given we have a healthy win loss record, i also reckon Creek is worthy of a few more minutes end wouldnt mind seeing him thrown in a bit more and see how he goes, we may not loose too much by starting Creek and giving Frye a couple of games off.

As said we will need Frye more later in the season/playoffs (hopefully we make them) than the next 4-5 games.

Reply #447291 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Frye is a high impact player and does a lot of little 1 %ers off the ball.

Would be nice to see him play lots of minutes, but hey, start him and give him a few minutes, bring on Creeky and then bring hi on for the last 2 minutes of the quarter.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Reply #447292 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks employed hack-a-sixer..With how badly we shoot free throws, any good coach would exploit that

Reply #447316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's cool DJ & Schensch are decent FT shooters for big men so we'll just kill them inside especially with Davidson out.

Reply #447319 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I am not too concerned about the Hawks at all.. they are full of guys who probably wouldn't even make any other team in the league. 36ers by 22 points.

Reply #447541 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Larry has not been completely ruled out yet. Has a fitness test before the game.

Reply #447546 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Should the 36ers do as expected and win tonight, what price Joey Wright getting the nod as Coach of the Month for November? Win tonight and November is a 5-0 month for the 36ers :)

With Larry Davidson I'd say the Hawks might have been half a chance of an upset. Without him I think we just have too much big man depth for the Gordie McLeod to cover. And with both Ervin and DJ is the form they are, I think we'll win by at least 10.

But if there is one thing I've learnt in 28 years of watching the NBL.....its never count out the Hawks. They are the kings of pulling off an upset.

Reply #447555 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ You can never right off the Hawks because the coach has the mind of a master criminal ;)

Reply #447629 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Adelaide by 22

Reply #447634 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You people have jinxed it, Hawks by 7

Reply #447635 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Almost unjinxable, Hawks just too under manned without Larry Davidson. This 6ers team is hungry they enjoy playing with eachother and feed big time off the home crowd. Should be a big win. MAYBE if it was played at the gong could be considered a danger game based on all the hype that went into last week, but not at home, not with just the 1 game they have to play this round.

Reply #447636 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wollongong will test the 36ers' smarts, this isnt a battle of on-paper talent. If Adelaide can force the Hawks into mistakes they get this easy, but if it comes down to a halfcourt battle it will be a close one.

Either way the boards should give Adelaide the edge.

Reply #447637 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

As long as McLeod doesn't get too clever - that was his mistake in Perth...

Reply #447639 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sorry but it has to be said

I pity the fool who doesn't like Mitch Creek's new haircut.

Reply #447642 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Jarrid Frye went to the Diamon Simpson school of free throw shooting. His FT's early in the 3rd were his first since the loss to Melbourne.

Reply #447644 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Frye hit a nice 3 though. That's actually just his second 3 of the season. His other one was also against the Hawks.

Reply #447645 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wollongong falling over here in the 4th, need to be rather more clutch if they want anything from this.

Reply #447649 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Halfway through, no sign of closing deficit, this one is all about the margin now. Wollongong will want to keep it close to have a hope on the series split when they play the home games.

Reply #447650 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Um....wow, that was close.

Reply #447652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd numbers anyone??

Reply #447653 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Right, well, that was ... a little closer than I expected when I walked away a few minutes ago.

Reply #447654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance get names on scoreboard right ever week same old mix up by the panel

Reply #447656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Box score?

Reply #447658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ugly game...wins a win tho...

Reply #447660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not one of the sixers best games this season,just lucky to get the WIN.
Another minute gong would have won.

Reply #447662 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

That was such a hard game to watch, think we got pulled down to their level and they made key three point shots. As mentioned a win is a win and good teams find ways to win. I guess it was always going to be a let down from the Perth game.

Reply #447663 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Another game where you can say 'good that we keep winning the close ones', but then you realise that we actually just lost a good lead, which created a close game.
Against a team with only 7 players, 2 of which are Tyson Demos and David Gruber... With the list we have... Probably a 1 point win isn't a great result. Also when you consider the wide open 3s and lay-ups they missed.
I'm assuming Creek was sick? Only played 5 minutes.

Ok, enough negativity. Nice to see an even contribution the whole way across the board.
DJ and Ervin did what they do. Score the ball. DJ was owning the defensive glass too.
Cadee was good. Couple big 3s.
Petrie was another that did what he does. Rebounding, defense.
Liked seeing Benny and Schenscher chase after the loose balls. Schenscher wasn't getting any love from the umps.
Gibson wasn't making his shots. Didn't do a whole lot. Apparently was sick?
Frye didn't appear to be feeling too much ill effects from his ankle last week. Made a 3 which shouldn't be possible with his stroke.

Wollongong's entire game plan is shooting 3s. 41 attempts is amazing. 35 from 4 guys.
Martin had a handy game. Clarke came up big in the last to almost steal the winv(but it was never really in doubt).
Tiggs is a strange one. Sometimes looks like Christopherson (completely out of his depth), then every now and then he does something that makes you notice.
Funny that in the warm up, Martin wasn't making anything, and Coenraad didn't miss. Then during the game it was the complete opposite.

Reply #447665 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"I pity the fool who doesn't like Mitch Creek's new haircut."

Give that man a little basketball.

Reply #447667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That horrible call to count Ervin's basket after the shot clock was costly.

Reply #447668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess that evened out Frye's travel call if we are going to look at each play

Reply #447669 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if Mitch lost a bet.

Reply #447670 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

I know I fell asleep and I think the refs did too. That missed shot clock violation was one of the worst calls I have seen in professional basketball. When you consider as well that all 3 of the refs could've waved that away.

Reply #447672 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It was so far after the bell, I assumed that they judged that Tiggs controlled the ball on the steal (but it wasn't reset).

Reply #447673 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Came home from game feeling sixers had tried to coast through the first half and not really tried to up the tempo until the third quarter when they decided to play some defense. As a result they nearly let the game slip.

However I started the game replay and learned that this week we have had fitness problems.

Gibson flu
Frye ankle
Creek ankle
Ervin back

Explains a lot. Maybe we were lucky to scrape it in.

Reply #447676 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

the gongers play much like the early Fearne coached Taipans defensive teams....keep it ugly and you have a chance to win!!

Reply #447679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Standard, some one was sick or injured and if they are 100% u would've one by 50. Won 4 games by 3, 5 and 2 by one, u could be easy near the bottom.

Reply #447680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd 4,080

Reply #447683 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

What a dreadful game, I know people kiss Gordie's arse but when was the last time that he developed a big man?

With such a short line up you'd think they would have put Harris-Tunks on the court when Schenscher was filling the middle for Adelaide but nope such short sightedness and makes Wollongong a joke and me a fool for thinking they'd scrape into the playoffs again this season.

We have Foreman that is a fully fledged small Forward in the Detlef Schrempft mould as you can't trust him to block, rebound or block out on an opponent... I know others will criticise me for that statement but he should have trained over the last several off seasons in guarding quicker swing men. All Foreman can do is shoot and as captain he sure shows less leadership than you'd like.

Wollongong should have aggressively persued a big as Davidson (always injured), Gruber (inconsistent and won't get better) Harris-Tunks (doesn't have coaches confidence), Foreman (see above) and Coenraad (supposedly they needed a new SF and now this guy plays up to 35 minutes a game) what the fuck is going on?

I love Rotnei Clarke and Kevin Tiggs is an exciting player to watch and atleast he is aggressive when so many other hawks players are happy to see the shot clock wind down to 3 seconds left and then pass you the ball!

I don't mean to bash a team that only lost by a point but their recruiting lacks logic and is a blight (sp) on the league.

Reply #447685 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Last week the game against Perth was like a Henshke's Hill of Grace, last night was always going to be more like a Jacob's Creek in comparison. Still, the Sixers continue to be undefeated at home.

The game is one of many that shows just how tight the NBL is this season. Picking winners is pretty hard and hats off to the 'Gong for their last quarter.

Oscar in particular. 4/8 from outside the arc kept the Hawks in the game. Gordie continues to play the role of seasoned card shark to perfection, keeping other coaches fumbling for aces while Gordie has a pair of threes in his hand.

Reply #447696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I accept that Gordie is reluctant to expose inexperienced players and agree that using Harris - Tunks would have been worth trying.
Some of your other points are missing the obvious. Forman does generally block out well but not all his team mates get on a body when the ball goes up. Davidson out of course exaggerates that problem. Forman is often out of O rebound contention because he is such a good perimeter shooter and they run stuff to get him set for the 3. Hawks also have issues with depth so risking fouls impacts on any reckless D.
Gruber puts in the effort and is a value back up 4/5 but has limited range and teams leave him alone at the perimeter. Coenraad and Tiggs at the 3 is still an issue as Tiggs is still looking lost at times in the offence and Gordie wants his players to work within the structure. Coenraad has strengths including the 3 ball. Often this season Tiggs and Coenraad and Forman and Gruber for that matter are playing undersized especially since Davidson went out.
The sixers in the end where lucky to scrape in the win and hawks will be thinking about the odd lay up that didn't drop or 3 that rimmed out.

What I will say is that the issue is that budget wise Hawks have a limited depth and Gordie's teams are exposed by injuries and his unwillingness to blood players is problematic. Is a rookie with fouls to give no worse than a tired veteran? That is a valid Q. I would like to see the rookies exposed under fire but Gordie may be squeezing the max out of that team the way he is playing it.

Reply #447697 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'll take that little basketball thanks Jack ;)

You gotta love a guy like Mitch Creek. Not afraid to shake things up, even if it means a hair cut that makes him look like the last of the Mohican's.

As for Gordie McLeod not developing any big men and under using a guy like 6'11" NBL rookie Harris-Tunks.....I'm sure GM would love an experienced 7 footer like Big Red, DJ, Alex Pledger or Luke Nevill out there in a Hawks uniform, but its not always possible.

Adelaide may not have been switched on last night like they were against Perth, but to their credit Wollongong would not go away either. They do need an inside game though, living and dying by the 3 isn't going to win championships in this league

Reply #447699 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Harris-Tunks should definetly be getting more game time, just like Auryn MacMillan should have last year. I'm loving watching Auryn's game develop in Melbourne.

Reply #447707 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

At least Wollongong has one thing in their favour....

Their big man isn't Ben Allen.

Reply #447714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone tell me why creek doesn't get more time. When he came on last night and scored twice it looked like no one could stop him. If he goes to a new team and gets 35 minutes a game he would lead the league in scoring.

Reply #447728 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Because Joey likes to play his Gold Coast boyz. Creek certainly deserves more game time.

Reply #447732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers players could not guard a chair!!

Reply #447733 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I recognize that Wollongong can't afford a Schenscher/Nevill type but there's a guy called Jared Prue who was the injury replacement for Matty Knight to start the season. He averaged something like 21.6 rebounds per game in the SBL. I don't care what level it is when you put up numbers like that then you have a nose for the ball and I know he is short for a big man but when you have Oscar playing a big 3 then it creates mismatches.

Basically what I'm saying is if Wollongong have 4 players on court shooting 3s then someone like Prue or a Jacob Holmes type that will crash the boards is essential (when Gruber is on the bench)

Reply #447734 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Creek had an ankle injury which is why he didnt play alot of minutes.

Reply #447882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:17 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754