Nathan of Perth
Years ago

Perth @ Cairns, Nov 30

So, as we're all probably still drunk on bubbly from celebrating after the Great Ennis vs Young Battle of 2013 became the Great Bench Battle of 2013 around 3QT, Cairns will almost certainly bushwhack us. This is especially so as another loss would give Cairns an almost unconscionable loss-streak and make Fearne very nervous indeed.

So, what does everyone think Cairn's winning margin will be, and why do they think that?

Topic #33226 | Report this topic

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

As a Cairns supporter I need to see them get flogged. After losing to Wollongong a win over Perth will just frustrate us local fans. Fearne needs to go and the only way that might happen is if they keep losing.

Reply #447253 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

That sounds somewhere between cathartic and unwholesome.

Reply #447254 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Cairns can consider themselves lucky if they come within 10pts.

Reply #447257 | Report this post

Hugh Manrites  
Years ago

Weighed down.

Reply #447261 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nathan, reverse woofing, I see!

Reply #447266 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

grabau has left a gaping hole in our defence.....it has exposed very weak transitional defence from s.weigh,trigger,loughton and burston.
in saying that,they will probably beat perth !!

Reply #447267 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Isaac,

What, reverse-woofing, me? Never! Just trying not to fit the stereotype of we're going to win everything by 40 predictions.

Reply #447271 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Fearne needs to go and the only way that might happen is if they keep losing"

Where have I heard that before?

Perth should be able to bag this one and then have enough in the tank for a snorkel on the reef the next day.

Reply #447275 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Beveridge to be Cairns coach by Christmas???

Reply #447293 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

He's quit the Breakers already?

Reply #447295 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Hahaha good call, Wilson.

It's getting to that edgy, sadistic stage isn't it? I too need to see them lose big...I'm thinking 60. Ohhh yeaahhh that's the stuff.

Watching Taipans games, it's a mix between sadism and Stockholm Syndrome right now... I don't know what to feel.

HEHEHEHEHAHAHAHALOLLOLCJEKSHSGXJRKRBFNZJZHDBSBSAAAHHHHHHHHH!

This season and my mental state is getting pretty ugly... Nicholas Cage ugly.

Reply #447332 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

On the plus side we get to see some quality opposition players in Cairns over the next few weeks.

Reply #447345 | Report this post

Andrew K  
Years ago

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/sport/local-sport/fans-desert-cairns-taipans-as-figures-show-crowds-are-falling/story-fnjpuwsz-1226770228826

"Since Fearne took over the top job five seasons ago no player has been sacked for performance issues and he said earlier this season that he had not contemplated it."

So if players aren't get replaced who does that leave to be replaced...

Reply #447382 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ The cheerleaders, clearly

Reply #447383 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Apparently Matthew Knight may miss the game with his fiancee due to give birth shortly. Delighted for him, although a bit frustrated as he was just getting back up to speed.

Reply #447385 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Nathan, the Cairns cheerleaders go well, and at least their uniforms are Taipans colours and say Taipans on them.

Reply #447397 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Yes, but if the players can't go, and the coach can't go, SOMEONE has to take one for the team!

Reply #447398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club has no money to sack anyone and pay them out.

Fearne multi year deal

Wilson multi year deal

Loughton multi year deal

Trigger multi year deal

Reply #447427 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Mick Downer is excellent, why not elevate him? I have no problem with the players on multi-year deals.

Reply #447501 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some of those multi-year deals end this year, I think?

Reply #447510 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I do love them Taipans and I'm going to go and cheer them on anyway but at this stage I'm really not sure why. The beer will still be expensive, it's going to be half empty and the Taipans are going to get absolutely flogged. They could just put five traffic cones on the court on Saturday night and I doubt anybody would notice the difference.

Reply #447515 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Will be there too CT, I've already coughed up for season tix so am in it for the long haul. Beer is expensive, $6.50 for a XXXX Gold! I normally load up before the game and then sober up during it. At least it makes the games a bit more entertaining.

Reply #447524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remembering Cairns only lost to the Cats by 7 two weeks ago in Perth guys, albeit without Knight playing but Gliddon was in his first game back and his fitness was down a bit. This could be a Taipans win. Well I am hoping it is anyway, 7 straight losses with 36ers coming next week and the season is over for us.

Reply #447525 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

CT, I see you have put a lot of thought into that traffic cone comment--they are also orange after all.

Reply #447526 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Well done, you saw what i did there.

Thank god for the cheerleaders I say...

Reply #447655 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree this could well be a Cairns win, but they are just too unreliable to actually tip!

Reply #447661 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My anon comment before was incorrect - Knight did play last time vs Cairns.
Although he is confirmed out this game due to the birth of his first child. Cairns can definitely win this! Whether they do or not is another story...

Reply #447684 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Cairns is a sleeping bear, once this team figures out their issues, look out

I think you will find they will rise to the occassion for Perth.

It will not be easy for Perth.

Trigger will have his full Bag o Tricks for Jervis.

Gliddon will be back to full strength and may well contain Ennis.

Reply #447731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Taipans up 35-32 at H/T

Reply #447737 | Report this post

Northern Brew  
Years ago

Cairns finally playing some defense. Perth slowly grinding away though. Taipans need to take off in the 3rd and build a decent buffer otherwise its Perth's game if its close going into the 4th.

Reply #447738 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Let alone coming out to play, they came out to TRY more than anything.

But as usual, McCamey dropped intensity then the team followed. What the fuck is wrong with this team?

Reply #447739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with the courtside announcer yelling defence for the entire defensive possession? It's really grating for the viewer. Guessing the Cairns crowd and players are on board with it?

Reply #447742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The court announcer is not supposed to encourage crowd participation in any way at all. A long ignored fact.
Dickhead at Tigers is a typiucal example.
The old NBL and obviously the new NBL can't or won't enforce it.

Reply #447744 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

agree, the DEFENCE DEFENCE DEFENCE from the announcer is fucking disgusting. makes me sick. most annoying thing ive ever heard dead serious.

Reply #447747 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I wish they were beaten by more :(

Reply #447748 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The best team didn't win tonight, Taipans were much better overall, the refs seemed determined to let Perth win though. 30-18 foul count, Wagstaff only had 3?? He is such a grub, you notice it even more watching him live as you can see all his grubby plays off the ball.

Reply #447749 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I wouldn't say that Cairns were the better team. It was evenly matched, and whatever. Cairns threw at Perth, Perth answered, and vice versa. Unfortunately for Cairns, three big shots in overtime was enough to see the Cats sneak the win.

Reply #447752 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Funny to hear someone say the refs were trying to win it for Perth when my twitter timeline was blowing up about things like Jervis getting chiselled on a USF at the death.

Will be finally getting a chance to watch the game later tonight, so I suppose I'll get to see for myself.

Reply #447754 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Cairns match up well against the Wildcats (anyone remember them winning up there late last season with Gliddon destroying the cats) so it's hard to get a read on them and this game.

I'm growing into a big fan of Mitch Young but can someone explain to me his role; is it to play 15 minutes and be in foul trouble throughout?
Is he trying to be overly physical, not understanding interpretations or just trying to be somewhat of an enforcer in a team that you could argue are softer than Sorbent

Dream Team points were interesting come games end with Wildcats +30 over Cairns which shows efficiency and I certainly didn't think Perth were efficient in any sense of the word early on.

This week I traded Weigh in for Steindl (in dream team) and Steindl plays far more minutes, can't help but think his move up north has been a disaster for Stevie and maybe Wollongong would have been the best option for him.

You can't blame Cairns for their multi-year deal with Wilson but is he trying to become an Australian citizen? That should be next pre-season?

Good luck to Cairns next week against Adelaide

Reply #447760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch Young has a long way to go before he's as good as he thinks he is in his mental highlights reel.

Feel sorry for Steven Weigh and really want him to turn it around; I've met him a couple of times and seems a really nice guy. Watched him play in the preseason games and he was just a ridiculously good shooter. He might need a sports psychologist at the end of the season or he's going to turn into the new Dusty Rychart (he's here on a three-year deal after all)

Reply #447768 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The Jervis USF was the right call, it wasn't a particularly malicious play but there was heavy contact while Wilson was in the air, which resulted in a dangerous situation.

Would love to see Weigh hit his peak too. He is a great guy with a great brain for the game. Not sure what's going on there.

Reply #447816 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Weigh mustn't be working hard enough in training otherwise he would earn more than 15 minutes game time, he's better at this stage if his career than Steindl but it wouldn't shock me one bit to see Steindl start and Weigh being used as a spark off the bench... Could help both players so is it worth a go?

Reply #447851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:46 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754