SamCro
Years ago

Melbourne Boomers / Overachieving?

Are the Melbourne Boomers overachieving with their Win / Loss record in the WNBL? Their certainly not the most talented individual collection of players in the WNBL but they keep managing to win games. Guy Molloy has them playing together & defensively their very tough!

Topic #33255 | Report this topic

Wayne  
Years ago

Here here

Reply #447831 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, fair call.
I always enjoy teams that get the most out of the personnel they have.
The Boomers are punching above their weight and full credit to the players & coaches for achieving that. They lost today to a very strong team, but they still have a better record than a few other teams that on paper have superior talent.

Guy is doing a top job, and the girls are clearly buying into his system.

Reply #447835 | Report this post

fubr  
Years ago

Since when is a win over Adelaide overachieving? Melbourne would have to be the understated achieves that everyone keeps thinking will not make the top 4. I see again today the win was without Rachael Jarry. must be the good team work

Reply #447839 | Report this post

catness everdeen  
Years ago

poppens was going to be a good get.

what is up with jarry not playing ? injury ?

Reply #447864 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

Jarry is injured. No they are not overachieving it's more like the other teams are underachieving. Credit Guy for putting a consistent, hardworking product on the floor but they are getting exactly what they are capable of. They will make the 4 simply because of how hard they work and their underestimated talent. Allen is becoming a beast. A first round exit would be admirable. A second round would be over achieving

Reply #447948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicole Romeo dropped from her starting role?

Reply #448162 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

I always believed it was only a matter of time before teams worked out how to beat Melbourne consistently. Allen has improved immensly and can carry the load, Madgen is obviously a star, but poppens is the wildcard and has been difficult for teams to shut down.

Without Jarry that's it, and my gut tells me the league has just witnessed the play book on how to beat Melbourne. I don't see them in the top 4 come the end of the season.

Reply #448214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Romeo is nowhere near good enough to start for a good finals side. PG will be their downfall.
Allen has been brilliant though.

Reply #448245 | Report this post

Annonnymouse  
Years ago

Do people still think they are overachieving while sitting third in the standings? Have shown that it takes more than talented stars to win games, time and time again this season! It's more important to play good team defense and get everyone on the same page. Examples of the other side of the coin would have to be Logan, Adelaide.

Reply #454499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going to be tough now with Poppens out with her ACL.

Reply #454508 | Report this post

Annonnymouse  
Years ago

Definitely hurts losing that sort of size, but if any team can cover a missing player I think it's probably the Boomers and their team play. But size is more difficult to cover obviously.

Reply #454509 | Report this post

TMK  
Years ago

A reasonable coach will wear Melbourne down with heigh - point made with Abby Bishop scoring a career high today vs Melbourne (@ Melbourne).

I believe Melbourne has the best back court lineup with Cole, Madgen, and Allen. All can score, are tall, athletic, can rebound, can distribute, run and finish the break, get in Passing lanes, defend, and guard the fast break also. The bench Ina's depth at the guard spot also.

The offense is there, defensively it's going to be easy to score against them in slow tempo game. I think they need to keep the game uptempo (press, trap, early shots) for a full 40 minutes to beat the tall teams.

Reply #455086 | Report this post

Boomers fan  
Years ago

Didn't get it right TMK. if Boomers had Poppens against Townsville, could be a very different Grandfinal playoff today. Great season Boomers. Looking promising for next year

Reply #461703 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754