Reply #447877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a silly thing to say.

Golf, A League etc get great ratings at that time of day on a Sunday

Reply #447878 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Well.. this is what happens when a league fails to market itself properly... what do they expect?

Reply #447879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

FYI, a lot of the NBL hate threads are coming from the same IP address.

Reply #447880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not hating, I am saying it is concerning.

What is wrong with that?

Reply #447883 | Report this post

Andrew K  
Years ago

I love the Sunday afternoon game, it's about the only time of the week I can just sit down and relax! But the refeering needs to pick up as per the other thread to make it more entertaining.

Reply #447884 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This seasons ratings have been pretty much the same as last year, what did you think had changed?

Reply #447888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought this was a "New" NBL, so I expected things to change yes

Reply #447891 | Report this post

cliffclavin  
Years ago

I did my bit.

i quite like the 2pm sunday game - it means I can enjoy the game without thinking about going to work the next day, something which ruins the 5pm a-league football timeslot on sundays for me.

The friday night games i tape and watch on saturday afternoon whilst the wife walks the dog!! - but i dont know if ratings catches this type of viewing.

Reply #447892 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You might have expected things to change, but have you actually seen any changes to bring bigger TV audiences to this point?

Reply #447893 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"I thought this was a "New" NBL, so I expected things to change yes"

Definitely ignorant or a hater.

Reply #447895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No I have seen no changes. So are you saying the owners taking control of the NBL has achieved no changes so far?

Reply #447896 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I havent seen anything yet that addresses TV ratings.

Reply #447897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I thought this was a "New" NBL, so I expected things to change yes"

"Definitely ignorant or a hater."

How is this "ignorant" or "hater"?

When the NBL was taken over by the owners and Neill appointed, didn't you expect the NBL to change/improve?

Reply #447898 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think people expect it to improve over time, but it seems unrealistic to expect much change in the first couple of months after the demerger.

Reply #447899 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

@Isaac,

I am shocked, SHOCKED to hear that.

Reply #447902 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, for all your concern, you're very quick to find a chance to stick the knife in. Remember your interpretation that Fraser Neill was supposedly ignoring TV? And then denial throughout the subsequent thread? Laughable.

And there have been countless threads on comments on Hoops about what we could realistically expect in the short term from the change to private ownership and administration of the NBL. One thing everyone (well, so we thought) realised wasn't going to change immediately was TV as the deal has been carried over. The same sort of situation (with Perform) has hamstrung them over the website, etc.

Maybe think before you post, if you're so concerned.

There's long been a Hoops joke about people using the alias "concerned" or going on about their concern - it's almost always a hater looking to complain.

Reply #447906 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Noteworthy that the friday night game with the poor ratings was a capital city hosting a regional, which will always be under-reported.

Reply #447908 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I think a lot of people are genuinely concerned of the future of the NBL with ratings like this. There is not a lot to be positive about. Sydney (3rd) v Melbourne (4th), with a sold out Cage and Sam Young in his first TV game has to rate better than 22K, on Ten.

Its yet to be seen how the de-merger will affect the NBL - whether it will head in the right direction or not. I'll reserve judgement until next season when the league has its house in order by then.

By the way, whats happened to Andrew Gaze? Has he had enough of Carfino and decided he wants no more? Is he too busy? Seems strange the NBL's biggest asset and best TV personality is hardly calling any games anymore.

Reply #447910 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would like to see the numbers re: Sky Sports NZ Broadcasts.
I would expect them to be pretty decent.

Reply #447912 | Report this post

Just curious as i am not "wise in the ways of TV" but what is an acceptable audience on TV. Obviously I am not comparing it to AFL etc but how does the NBL ratings compare to say Netball or soccer.

Reply #447913 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

it depends on how much the broadcaster forked out for the rights/cost of production etc.

Reply #447914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seems very strange that a delayed game on One with a regional team would out-rate Melbourne-Sydney on Ten. Could be that the fan fervour in the two biggest capitals is lower than the historically solid bases of Perth and Adelaide.

Reply #447916 | Report this post

Cats 4 life  
Years ago

Not one add i have seen for the nbl on t.v, ppl at my work still ask if there are any games on t.v. Perth didnt even get 10secs on the news nuthin. 2pm game are to in the middle not lunch nor arvo. Much rather a 4pm start, that way u got the day and normaly there is nuthin on at that time.

Reply #447919 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Good point. Ten don't advertise it so cain't expect good ratings without a bitta promotion for it

(Packer started up World Series Cricket with the best cricketers in the world playing , but no one watched
until it was advertised)

Reply #447920 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Yeah, its not on at the best times but then again... A league could play at 6 in the morning at this rate and still easily beat our ratings. There is NO tv add... and this is in part the NBL's fault... they don't promote themselves so what do they expect?...

Seems like Frasier, much like Keneally did.. go on all these little fact finding missions and conferences etc etc, but in the end you don't actually SEE anything. I am not being "concerned" I am just stating the facts... there SHOULD be an NBL add running fairly regularly before the play offs.... I mean to me thats just obvious stuff. Just do it... even a bad add is better then no add at all...But something like Wollongongs add last year with Lance Hurdle would be great.

Reply #447921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Guess, they started late this season with the de-merger. Would you rather them spend $xk this season (where they've come on board late, changed ref style, don't control their website, etc) and $xk next season (where they can make more changes) or consider this season a bit of a "watch and learn" then spend $2xk next season?

I think there's merit in the latter.

Reply #447925 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

you have aoint isaac, assuming they even intend to play it that way....

Reply #447928 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Some free to air is better than no free to air. Would love to see them rejuvenate the coverage and bring in some new ideas and camera angles. Was impressed with Hoges (Bradtke) yesterday. Speaks really well.

Reply #447932 | Report this post

Simo  
Years ago

When the Wildcats aren't on tv the ratings are always low. I think it’s pretty obvious Wildcats on tv equal ratings, so i don’t know what the solution is for the NBL but i guess everytime the Wildcats are playing on a Friday night or a Sunday then their game should be the tv game. In saying that 22k for Sundays Tigers/Kings clash is pathetic considering it was shown live in the eastern states, so how can their fans not tune in to watch their teams is beyond me !! And those 2 cities are supposed to be the "2 biggest markets" in Australia !!

Reply #447935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are distressing figures and should be sending alarm bells off at NBL HQ.

Reply #447937 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

League needs to expand. It just seems like I'm watching the same episode over and over. Not enough parody and what league doesn't advertise its own league during its own telecast. Not even a mention on the local news cast during sport. They need more teams and better marketing.

Reply #447944 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

NBL where stuck with old deal, and lets face it 10 dont want it,

we should be happy there is any FTA go back a couple years ago and ppl were bitching that we need something anything on FTA even late night replays

Reply #447945 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

I think its pretty obvious the current TV deal brokered by the former league bosses at BA, while gives exposure to the public on FTA,albiet barely, leaves the league quite hamstrung with its fixturing.

I would be inclined to think that next season we will see most of the weekend games on the saturday nights, and possibly mid week wednesday night games, like the times when Foxsports covered NBL.

That way hopefully a deal can be done for 2 LIVE FTA games per week, in a relatively primetime TV slot, On the Sat night, and Wed. What ever the broadcaster... Heck, even Foxsports will do.

From I can tell the clubs will mount strong cases to not play friday nights at all, or at least the bare minimum, bar possibly Perth at home. (Based on Crowds)

Reply #447949 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Anon, progress isn't linear, nor does it immediately materialize because media and fans have dubbed the brand "new".

Reply #447951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've thought Carfino brings enough parody as it is.

Reply #447959 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I would have thought the more concerning thing is the way these ratings are gathered. So a tiny percentage of the population are not basketball fans. All it means is that the sample group with ratings boxes attached to the TV are not basketball fans, that's all ratings tell me.

Yes I know these figures are all that matters to TV stations and advertisers, but it does not mean nobody was watching the basketball coverage.

Reply #447963 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

yes they would make a lot of assumptions and extrapolations based on a very small sample group.. and shows would suffer due to the assumptions... shows would be suffering due to this

However, someone said it before... many games feel like a re-run already. We are a third of the way through the season and I think everyone has already played everyone twice 9 or so weeks into the season?

It does become a bit of a bore.. and I feel like maybe the season should be made shorter until we have atleast 10 teams maybe? Instead of everyone playing eachother 4 times, why not everyone play eachother 3 then launch into the play offs?

Reply #447967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV ratings in the toilet and crowds down nearly 10% from last season.

Reply #447968 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Are you comparing the end of year crowd figure from last year with the start of year figure from this season?

Reply #447975 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

can we make poster registration mandatory on this forum already?

Reply #447977 | Report this post

crusty  
Years ago

We really love the chance to see any NBL game wether live, delayed or streaming.

Reply #447979 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, are you registered? More registered users there are, the easier the migration is.

Reply #447980 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The TV ratings don't even count the regional teams viewers eg Wollongong, Townsville. So ratings could be better if ratings system was better.

Reply #447991 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

this particular Anonymous isn't all too clever... he knows enough to know absolutely nothing at all. Some of the debates I have had with him have been mindblowing... I would say it were like talking to a brick wall.. but brick walls don't tend to be so hopelessly wrong and incoherent

Both TV ratings AND crowds are UP on this time last year. They just not as high as we would like in a perfect world.

Reply #447992 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'm registered...but for whatever reason I can't upload a profile picture, which is why i am easily impersonated...

Reply #447995 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crawford's getting too old, Hinder should retire...

Yep, easily done!! (kidding Mick!)

Reply #447996 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

With crowds, you have to take into account which teams have had home games, how many home games, what venues they played in and the form that the team is playing.

The landscape this time last year is very different to that so far this season. For example, Perth had only 1 or 2 home games by this time last season, whereas they have already had 5 home games (all with over 10,000 in attendance). This would push the averages up.

On the flipside - the Tigers last season had a handful of games played at Hisense Arena where their crowds were around 4500 to 5,000. So far this season, they haven't had any games played there. This puts the averages down.

The Breakers, Hawks and Taipans would usually get better crowds than what they have, but their form has been down this season, and crowds have dropped off due to that. On the other hand, Adelaide's form is well up, and their crowds are up slightly. Kings and Crocs seem to be around the same as last year and performing similar to last season.

So plenty of differences to consider which makes a comparison on last season somewhat unfair.

Reply #447999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, if you post with an email address listed (not seen publically) and register that email with Gravatar, then the avatar will show. If you want to remain perfectly anonymous, then use an anonymous email with Gravatar otherwise the hash can be used to potentially identify you.

Reply #448006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry guys, a little off topic here but do you know when the deadline is for an announcement of a new NBL team is? My understanding is it is mid January.

Reply #448055 | Report this post

jodiechrist  
Years ago

Crowds down? Not in Melbourne so far as I can make out - 9 weeks in and it's difficult to get a seat a week out that isn't at the ends of the court.

TV's always going to be questionable when it's completely unadvertised, and honestly, this is another problem with the summer season - if you're not at the game, there's a good chance at this time of year you're in the middle of some sort of social event enjoying the weather, or doing christmas prep/end of year catch ups etc.

Reply #448072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox had many games in the 20k mark yet ppl hate on it and love Ten/One with their supposedly awesome ratings.

Reply #448174 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754