Jack Toft
Years ago

Sixers @ Crocs Dec 6

Well this must be a first for a while, the Sixers enter a game as the underdogs.

What was that? Surely with six in a roll they are unstoppable? Well the Townsville Crocs have had a week off to rest their weary legs and with the age of the roster they have, they would see that as a luxury. The Sixers have the double game too, so does Joey go hard against a fresh team on the Friday and save a little bit in the tank for the Taipans the next night? The Crocs will be going 110% and that's an ace for the Crocs.

The Crocs are 6 Dan Blackbelts on their home court, but 90 pound weaklings on the road. At home, their average score is 91, but on the road it's down to 78 - that's a 13 point gap in offence! and that's an ace for the Crocs. Interestingly, at home, they average 6 less rebounds, 2 less blocks, 3 less turnovers, 5 less second chance points, 3 more points off turnovers, but a whopping extra 20 points in the paint! I think we know how they like to score.

Pace and Conklin are their leading scorers. When the Crocs win, these guys take 7 more field goals a game and their assists drop off by 1.5 assists per game. Could the others drag them down and they just say, sod it, I'll do it myself? If their imports fire up, that's another (p)ace for the Crocs.

With all those Aces in their hand and a few Jokers as well, the Crocs would have to be the favourites on their court. The Sixers have down very well of late and the COTM for November will be tested strategically this round. Sometimes great teams need a loss to remind them of the final goal. To paraphrase Keating "The loss we had to have".

While a loss isn't the end of the world, this is one I would still like the Sixers to win, but for the Crocs, this is their game to lose. I'm going Crocs by 4.

Topic #33275 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Centrebet have Adelaide as favourites in both QLD games this round.

Reply #448266 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Crocs paying 2.75 and Taipans 2.45

Ah, no offence to the 36ers, but get on that. These are both teams that thrive on home court, very different beasts. Crocs are getting things together and Cairns will be so desperate you could smell it from the other side of the country. Big danger games for an Adelaide that is carrying some injuries that will be exacerbated by the two games in two days deal.

Adelaide have been looking great, but reckon this trip could be tricky. A 2-0 would be magnificent, a 1-1 would be par, an 0-2 would be unfortunate.

Reply #448271 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Apart from the games in Perth, pretty much every game is tough to predict this season. If the Crocs play like they did in Melbourne the 36ers will have to play very well to win.

Reply #448273 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I would love to see the Sixers go 2-0 on the weekend, but I think the Crocs game might be a tough one. The Sixers love a fast transition and the Crocs will be looking to slow it all down, so I'm expecting a bit of a grabby game by them. The Sixers will be wanting to get the win, but not tire themselves out.

The other Ace for the Crocs is the niggles of the Sixers, back, ankle etc.

I think the pressure is on the Crocs to get the win. Anything less than a win by them would be an epic failure by them.

Reply #448275 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

I think "epic failure" is gilding the lily, but I'd consider it to be setback for Dennis' boys if they fail to defend home court here.

Speaking of which, I hope they can get a crowd out for this one and send them home happy, they could surely do with some momentum to keep the franchise afloat.

Reply #448277 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

yeah, maybe not epic, just talking it up!

Reply #448278 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

People need to realise that Cairns, relative to their record, are actually one of the worst teams in the league on their home court over the past two seasons. THEY DON'T PLAY WELL AT HOME!

FYI, the Crocs want to play just as fast as Adelaide do.

The 36ers are definitely due for a loss, I reckon, one way or another, they'll come away 1-1.

Reply #448280 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Some good stats there Jack, but I reckon the Sixers pose some serious matchup probs for the Crocs. Ervin and Cadee will be too quick for their guards and I don't see who's stopping DJ. On the other hand, Petrie should be able to handle Conklin and Creek / Frye should have enuff size and quickness to counter Blanchfield/ Pace. Only thing stopping a Sixers win is complacency/ too many injuries IMO.

Reply #448281 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Beantown, if Petrie plays single coverage on Conklin, Adelaide are not going to have a good night. He'll go for 30 at the very least.

Reply #448282 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs have to be favourites here.

They match up very well against the Sixers. Not sure what Beantown is talking about...

People are really underrating Conklin and Pace, still.

No one in the league can guard Conklin one on one (at least no one he has played...Matt Knight or Redhage would give him a good crack). He's way too quick even for the relatively mobile Petrie. He torched Mark Worthington, Lucas Walker, and everyone the Tigers threw at him last week, and Mika Vukona has been unable to slow him.

If you slow the game down and let Townsville's atrocious halfcourt D lose them the game, you'll walk right through them. Go through DJ and Schenscher early and often. Don't try to beat them in the open court with Ervin, at least not every play down the floor.

Reply #448289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For all his ability to romp through frontcourts, Conklin has only had one game over 20 points. Had 11 points in The Great Torching of Melbourne. This season he's scoring at under 50% and averaging 3.9 RPG. 16 PPG overall indicates consistency but doesn't quite make him an elite threat.

Danger game sure, but 36ers should be favourites. In Cairns, they'll be backing up against a desperate team so who knows.

Reply #448291 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cant wait for this game and really have no idea who wins, it's going to come down to who gets the speed of the game to suit them best. Im tipping Adelaide by 1 just because!

Reply #448292 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mick, Conklin would take a massive shit on Redhage's head if they went up against each other--too much strength.

The reason Conklin isn't scoring more is because he is always being crowded after a couple of made shots. He has no offensive help in the frontcourt, so he pretty much always has 1.5 guys defending him.

He's also terribly streaky. When he's cold, he is sub-zero.

Reply #448296 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

I think the sixers will beat the crocs by 4. I'm not so sure about Cairns purely because its the second leg of a road double.

Reply #448297 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Conklin has also been absolutely shafted by the refs in most games though. As they stop calling him as a "fresh meat rookie import" and start calling him like a normal human basketball player he will only improve.

I'm not sure what a bye round does to a young team like the Crocs though...I think it would have made them complacent, especially after a road win against Melbourne.

Should be a good game.

Reply #448301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a good game, i enjoy watching the Crocs, Pace is one of my favourite players, glad that he finally got a NBL gig.

Not sure who will win, ill go for the sixers aslong as there main guys are fit and healthy in a close one, the Crocs will push them, if they come out flat like they did v the hawks the Crocs could get them.

No easy wins this season, especially on the road.

Reply #448303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the 6ers will double Conklin or do they trust the size of Schenscher & Johnson to guard him 1on1?

Will Gibson mark Pace or will that go to Creek & Frye?

How well will Markovic be able to guard Ervin?

I think Townsville will play a lot of zone as Adelaide score the least amount of points/100 possessions that any other team from downtown.

Do the Crocs have a home court advantage anymore???

Will Adelaide be happy with a 1-1 record for the weekend?

Reply #448306 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mick and Stats, I'm going by what I saw of the Crocs early in the season. Kerron Johnson blew by Markovic at will so Ervin should do the same. Conklin may have improved, but he seemed inconsistent to me when I watched him. He'll certainly have to have a big game to offset the Sixers front court. Sixers could lose if they play badly (see Hawks last week) but if they run Crocs off the three, I don't see how they put up enough points to win.

Reply #448309 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

^ Kerron Johnson wasn't nursing a back injury, Ervin is at the moment. Could make that a much dicier proposition.

Reply #448311 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Beantown, I'm going by what I see from the Crocs every week.

Anon, I think they'll put Gibson on Pace simply because of the size difference between Gibbo and Blanchfield. But if Pace works Gibson on the block, then you'll probably see Frye go on Pace. Hard to say.

God-damn, of course they have a home-court advantage. One of the biggest advantages in the league. Those rims are pretty different to anywhere else in the league as well.

Also hard to say whether Adelaide will be happy with 1-1. I think they will be neutral actually, maybe somewhat disappointed.

Reply #448312 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crocs will play mostly zone so not sure if Ervin will blow by an individual opponent as such, but that's what Townsville want, the oppo PG putting their head down trying to beat people and dribbling into traps. Whether they can do that with Ervin we will see.

Reply #448322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer:

not so sure about a gym just over half full being an advantage and the reason the rims are so different to everywhere else is because they are GOOOOOD! So soft - probably the best to shoot at in the NBL!

Beantown:

Markovic really struggled in the firs month with speed post ankle surgery - MAY be a reason he got blown by. I haven't seen it in the past month as much. He is certainly bigger and stronger than Ervin and is a great pass first PG - not many of those left.

I bet Ervin will try to go 1 on 1 a lot, especially if the crocs slow the hers down or at the end of the game - that will play in to the crocs hands.

Reply #448327 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Anon, no doubt they are the best in the NBL.

Have a look at win percentages, they would show otherwise. It's not just people cheering in the stadium that contributes to an advantage. The rim and net combo 'looks' entirely different than anywhere else in the league, plus the rim is painted black. The Crocs would be more used to it and know how soft it is, so they know how effective certain shots can be.

Also, a crowd serves as reinforcement for good plays, which essentially helps the home team play the way they want to play.

It'd be real nice if the league standardised it's rims and nets. It would make the league seem more professional on telecasts and would actually help scoring because players would be more familiar with the hoop, regardless of the stadium.

That's something I actually pointed out to a Crocs administrator in conversation and they complained that if they were to go that way, it'd be "a whole $400 per rim and net".

Reply #448331 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree SS. Need to standardise rims as well as quality control on floor decals.

Beantown: as said above the Crocs rarely play man. They trap and fall back to a zone. Ervin will see lots of looks from basically every Crocs player not named Greg Vanderjagt in the backcourt alone. And if they decide to go man, you can stick Markovic on Gibson and put Pace on Ervin. Then you have Norton and Mirko off the bench who are both quick and defensive-minded.

The Crocs give up lots of open threes due to their insistence on zone d. Adelaide arent great from deep at every position. I just think this matchup is not good for the 6ers. They may win the title this season but the middling crocs will give them headaches in the interim.

Reply #448334 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I expect we'll go 1-1.

If the 36ers go 2-0, we will already have had our greatest number of wins already, beating our 8,8 and 9 win seasons previously.

Reply #448338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs by 8

Reply #448340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Statsheet Stuffer:

I dunno where you get your info from but the rims are painted orange - same as everywhere. The problem is that they are the same rings that were there on Feb 20 1993 when we played the Brisbane Bullets in the 1st ever game at 'The Furnace'... and its the same floor too.

http://www.andrewgricksphotography.com/_photo_12102876.html

Reply #448341 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah, shit. I must've looked at them at the wrong angle in the stadium. The lighting is weird and they aren't perfectly orange from below.

I am wrong, but I absolve myself from blame for the rim colour comment.

Reply #448345 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

http://www.crocodiles.com.au/di/library/townsville_crocodiles/14/ee/conklin_im5hdijy13ze1ddzphb4fn5t5.jpg?t=-711044503&quality=90

To justify my above comment

Reply #448346 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I'll concede that point about zone guys. Outside shooting is not the Sixers strong point. What's the Crocs transition D like though? They'll need to get their reversing boots on if the Sixers run it like they did against Perth! I'm still confident the Sixers will win this one.

Reply #448349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think it is just rust Statsheet Stuffer haha - wouldn't be surprised :)

btw the Qld govt just pulled $5 million in funding for essential upgrades to the TECC!

Reply #448351 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Crocs transition D is great, it's their halfcourt D that has let them down in the past.

Reply #448365 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think the question that needs to be asked is where Townsville will get their points from?

Sixers have some pretty good and crafty inside players and are good at drawing fouls and cleaning the glass. DJ offensively should be a real concern for the Crocs...and I wouldnt be so sure about giving the Sixers open looks from outside. Whilst they are not great shooters from beyond the arc, they do have players that can hit them and they are streaky so you dont want them getting early ones.

Reply #448375 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

At TSV, J.Pace looks pretty good
In CNS, S.Weigh - the player to beat all players
and should be a full hose in ADL next week
when he returns, but he is unconcerned
He's got plans of his own, to set up his throne
whena he returns

Reply #448382 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

6ers should beat both teams really, but its a tough road trip. I do expect them to beat the Crocs, I just dont rate them anywhere near good enough to compete for 4 quarters. But id be surprised if the 6ers could make it a double and knock off the Taipans as well. Cairns have been so close lately and are so much better than their record shows. Unless they have now got to the point where they feel its just too mch ground to make up this season, IF they come out just as hungry as they were against the Cats in Cairns, 6ers tired legs will hurt them come 4th quarter time. 1 and 1 record will be a great success for the 6ers.

Reply #448406 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Looking on the Team Metrics of LPtA, for all the talk of how will Townsville do on the glass, they have the best dReb% in the comp (and correspondingly, allow the lowest percentage of offensive rebounds to their opponents). Their statistical indicators are all very good.

Reply #448420 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Tornado: townsville are one of the highest scoring clubs in the league. Scoring isnt a problem for them. Opposing PGs getting inside at will is a problem though...

Reply #448459 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Alright, place has been too quiet today, time for some arbitrary feather ruffling ;)

Out of curiosity, although Adelaide has a 5-0 home form, tied for best in the NBL with Perth, the 36ers have a 3-2 road record. Losses to Perth and to Melbourne, with two wins against NZ (one a miracle fluke, the other at their less-fortress-like North Shore) and the third against Cairns by 3pts. This latter victory was actually the start of Cairns' loss streak (and no doubt they would love to see it end against the team that started it).

Is this a good away record or is it a potential stumbling point?

Of course, by road win %, they're the 2nd best record (60%), behind Perth (83%) and ahead of Sydney (40%), the only other team with multiple away wins.

Reply #448480 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

This is the sort of team I would like to see Schench and Johnson on court together. Really stretch them under the basket and use Schench's hook shots and posts ups with DJ's speed to the basket to make them work hard.

Reply #448498 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Mick, Sixers average 90 points per game and Townsville 85 - FWIW. Pretty close...as I expect the game to be. I think the Sixers by 3. They'll want to get the early win to ensure they come away from the double at least 1-1.

Reply #448512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville are good not great. Adelaide are great at everything they do and are very close to destroying a team soon. Couldve been Melbourne or Perth, I think they played as good as a losing team last week, and Joey was irate. Great teams win games even when they play down to bad teams levels. 6ers wont play 2 horrible games in a row. Crocs will get smashed, Cairns game on the other hand, thats the 50-50 for mine.

Reply #448513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nathan, in Cairns, we were up and had a big lead on the road. Have done the same in NZ. Perth was without two starters.

Reply #448514 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

With an 8-2 record the 36ers have already equalled the win totals from both 2011-12 and 2012-13.

We should win tonight, should win tomorrow night. Lets see what happens.

Go the Adelaide 36ers (its nice to be excited about this club again).

Reply #448567 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Soon.

Reply #448590 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Also, dear people of Townsville, please attend.

Reply #448591 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I am not worried about either game.. Adelaide is deep enough to give good players adequate rest each game during the sunshine swing and not lose anything on court. They should be favourites for both..

Reply #448605 | Report this post

Ayjay  
Years ago

Sixers will win if we can step up our outside game and improve our shooting from range. As long as we are barely average from range we will continue to have to work incredibly hard to bring in very close wins and inevitably we may have some close losses. Full credit for our current ability to never give up in crunch time and thus far to close out some super close games. We dont just need to improve our 3 point % but the number of attemts which must be about the lowest in the nbl. Someone might have stats on that. Hope we get up tonight.

Go sixers!

Reply #448609 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Have just seen the Crocs lineup on NBL.tv and it would seem Mitch Creek is now a Croc.

I think that graphic is a bit of a croc LOL

At least the commentators knew better and didn't mention his name in the Crocs lineup.

Reply #448611 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Mitch Creek starting, Jarrid Frye on the bench.

Reply #448612 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Damn, Steven Markovic has hit 5 3s in a row for Townsville.

Reply #448613 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

For anyone who's watching, do you think Joey overloaded the team with information in that quarter time break? Would the guys take all that in, or is the volume of information detrimental to the guys because they may over think on the court?

Reply #448615 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good game so far. Markovic on fire early, but you'd think he will regress to his average over the course of the game. Pace is a worry from mid-range on the smaller Gibson. Might need to keep Creek/ Frye on him.

Townsville playing well, but I'm happy with the Sixers only being down 4 after the first quarter, considering how well the Crocs have shot it so far.

Stats, was a lot of info at the qtr time break, but I followed most of it apart from the play calls, which I obviously don't know. Probably okay, given the players should be more familiar with what Joey wants than I am.

Reply #448616 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

This is an excellent game

Reply #448617 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The refs are being rather savage in calling Adelaide for travel....it has been rather one sided on that part of the calls.

Reply #448620 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Big loss for the Crocs if Hinder can take no further part. They have so little height out there.

Reply #448621 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Beantown, I understand that, but it is different in the heat of the battle (especially considering the pace of play). It's all well and good to understand and apply it from the couch, but when guys have to make multiple split decisions per set the back of that info, it makes me wonder.

Can anyone qualified give me their experience and point of view?

The way Adelaide perform on the court, they seem to know what they're doing though.

Reply #448622 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

On the back of that info*

Reply #448623 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

And I didn't mean to make it sound like you're not qualified, Bean. (If you took offence to that.)

Reply #448624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up 51-48 at the half.

Reply #448625 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Where's the "like" button

Reply #448626 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I thought I was eminently qualified to comment from my position on the couch, beer in hand Stats! ;-)

In any case, the Sixers certainly seemed to follow Joey's plan to prevent Markovic getting easy looks at three from the top of the key. They also got their transition game going as he wanted and attacked the Crocs zone the way he suggested.

Massive coaching improvement over what the Sixers have been used to for sometime!

Reply #448627 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Just saw your comment Stats. No offence taken.

Reply #448628 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha, nice. Enjoy your beers. Sixers by double digits I reckon

Reply #448629 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Some nice younger players on the Crocs team. Norton has done well so far and I have seen Blanchfield and Djeric do well before. Dennis has them playing really well too. They're just lacking too much size and talent up front IMO.

Only 7 TOs for the Sixers to half time. I'm surprised about that, considering how many travels they had! They need to cut down on those and continue to run Markovic and Crawford off the three in the second half. Other than that, I think the Sixers should win this if they continue to attack in transition and get the ball in the paint.

Reply #448630 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Clever change from the Crocs to double team our post players. Sixers haven't seen much of that this season. Hopefully Joey gets the Sixers to adjust again.

Reply #448631 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

When will the NBL fix the ref problem? Leadership isn't the issue. It's the guys on the ground...

It's so embarassing trying to convince people to go out on a limb and watch an NBL game with you when there is a million better things to do on a friday night and then have them ask you to explain call after call that are inexplicable...

Reply #448632 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Does anyone know if the NBL website show all the live stats for games currently being played? I cannot find anything for the Sixers/Crocs game but there are live stats for Perth/NZ game.

Reply #448633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing loss really. Probably more the result I expected tomorrow night in Cairns.

Reply #448634 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Refs stuffed us over in that one. That charge on Johnson at the end was a huge flop, at this level the ref should be able to discern that, terrible call that gave us little chance towards the end.

Reply #448636 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Worst charge call on DJ with 3 points in it ever. Bank the easy two, and this was a real game.

Reply #448637 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Other than the flop, pretty good d by the crocs in the 4th.

Reply #448638 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Anyone pick that Markovic would own the PG matchup? Not me...

Two massive games in a row for him. Hopefully his average early season form was due to his ankle surgery recovery and the best is yet to come...

Yeah it was a flop at the end, but it also was a charge, if you go by NBL precedent.

No penalty for flopping in the NBL. Conklin did nothing illegal.

Reply #448640 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The crocs were warned for flopping earlier in the game

Reply #448642 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

It was not a charge, there was virtually no contact at all.

Reply #448644 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yes...maybe not in the NBA.

In the NBL that is a charge.

Not saying I agree with it (i don't). But that is called a charge 8/10 times in the NBL.

Reply #448645 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

C'mon DJ moved his hips 4 inches to the left. That was easily enough contact to knock a 100kg defender down.

Reply #448646 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

I know it is called far more regularly than it should be, but by calling that, you are encouraging the defender to flop every single time a player posts up. There was probably less contact on that play than many of the other normal post up plays throughout the game where the defender didn't flop. Does the NBL need to go down the NBA route and fine players for acting like that if the refs are unable to tell?

Reply #448647 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great game overall. Credit to the Crocs, who hustled hard to makeup for their lack of size and made a lot of savvy plays when it mattered. Josh Pace made some huge blocks at critical times late and then followed that up with key baskets under pressure. Markovic MVP of this game by a mile. He's improved a lot from his showings early this season. Crocs have a nice core with Markovic, Pace, Blanchfield and Conklin. Get these guys a legit centre and they would be top 3 for sure.

Sixers played a decent game, but the Crocs showed them that they need a plan to counter quick double teams. I thought the Crocs turned the game when they stopped DJ and Petrie from posting up. Up to that point, the Sixers were scoring at will, but after that they were forced to try other methods of attack and they weren't nearly as effective.

Reply #448648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick flopping is penalised with a tech- the team was warned for it in the 1st quarter

Reply #448649 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Why didn't Creek play much?? actually did not see him on court at all, I did missed the start though.

Reply #448650 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It is technically but when have you ever seen someone actually shoot free throws for it, as opposed to the NBA where people are cited weekly for the offense...

Reply #448651 | Report this post

Croc  
Years ago

Crocs just to good.

Reply #448653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year a few times - Perth got done for it twice from memory

Reply #448654 | Report this post

Croc  
Years ago

Crocs just too good

Reply #448655 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Who the hell is Friar for the 6ers. These commentators on NBL.TV should learn names. I get so annoyed with that

Reply #448656 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ando:

They called Brian Conklin "Ryan Conklin" up until last home game. Just consider it lucky they got Frye's name in the ball park, considering he's an opposition player...

Reply #448657 | Report this post

Kr  
Years ago

If we are going to mention the charge on Dj, we should also mention frye getting bailed out on a jumper falling over the baseline with no contact from Conklin too. Were a few touchy calls going both ways. Sixers shot 4 above their average with 94, but crocs shot 13 above their average to win.

It was a great game to watch with some great counters from both coaches, sixers doubling pace in the post down the stretch forced a couple of turnovers. Then pace moves early to beat the double to score and then dish to Conklin to score.

Just bloody pumped for the crocs, playing great team basketball

Reply #448668 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Surprised to learn that we lost.. but not at all worried or phased by the fact. even if we lose tomorrow we are still second by a fair margin. But lets obviously hope that doesnt happen... By rights, I think it shouldn't... Cairns reminds me of the 36ers last year... all the right peices but just cant make it work.

Reply #448677 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Official attendance at The Swamp - 2,909. Pretty dismal really.

Reply #448679 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Really really need to get Frye in the gym shooting foul shots. Atrocious form

Reply #448681 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Oh and have you seen the image for the latest 'PC Guide' column on the NBL website...jesus. Hide your kids, hide your wife.

Reply #448682 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Frye (Friar according to the NBL.tv commentators) was generally good tonight, though Joey mixed it up a bit and started Mitch Creek.

Unfortunately though he seems to subscribe to the Diamon Simpson free throw shooting method. And we all know how well Diamon shot from the FT line for the 36ers.

Reply #448683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Frye (Friar according to the NBL.tv commentators) was generally good tonight, though Joey mixed it up a bit and started Mitch Creek."

Define good?

That was the worst game I've seen Frye play.

We really need to rest him for a few games.

Reply #448689 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great win for the Crocs

Reply #448697 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

So Townsville are now in the top 4.

No matter how temporary it's a big achievement for a team EVERYBODY had written off as wooden spoon certainties before the season.

Imagine if Dennis had a proper centre to work with...

Reply #448704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great effort, they are consistently putting together long stretches of their style of play now and making even good teams second guess themselves. Early days, but Dennis is doing a bit of a 'Gordie' with the way he gets his team to disrupt the other team, albeit with a different style.

Reply #448706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, great work by the Crocs, i thought they would be a fun team to watch this year, but yea would have never guessed they would be top 4 or ahead of the Breakers at any point this season, great work by Shawn Dennis and his crew!

Im a huge fan of Pace, i hope the crocs keep him for next season, and Markovic is starting to come on and show why he has previously been in the conversation with Gibbo and Martin for the 3rd boomers pg spot, if he keeps playing like this he should definetly get a camp tryout, as he is in the ball park of those guys, just a different style of player.

Mick as a Crocs fan what do you think of Coach Dennis and guys like Josh Pace?

I dont know whose out there but even a Jervis would be an upgrade at starting C if they cant get a Neville type.

Reply #448707 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Pace is a unique player. I love how he takes guys down low and goes to work, and he is a solid defender who can guard 1-3. It's rare to see a guard with a go-to post game, and it's great to see.

However, having a 2 guard that can't shoot outside of fifteen feet leaves of lot of 3-point opportunities on the table.

There isn't much to say about Dennis. He has these guys playing the right way on both sides of the ball, and seems like a great guy off the court. What more could you want from a coach?

You'd want to hope Townsville continue to work on their pick and roll coverage and they will be able to disrupt teams in the grind-game the same way they do in the open floor.

I'd honestly like them to keep this team in its entirety for next season, obviously minus the retiring Russell Hinder. Replace him with a solid center in his prime (like Nevill...lord knows they have the cap room) and you have a contender.

As said above, you don't even need a Nevill...even someone with HALF of his ability and you'll be very solid indeed. Obviously centers who can walk, talk and chew gum are easier pontificated over than signed...

Reply #448710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hinder is way past it and should be an assistant for the rest of the year - crocs would challenge if hy could retain Neville or someone similar

Reply #448712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, they may have the "cap room" , however they ain't got the money.......

Reply #448713 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They haven't, but combine Kenny's salary with Rusty's and you have, what, 80-90k to offer SOMEONE...?

Better than nothing..

Reply #448717 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Wow I didn't see Markovic lighting it up coming at all.

Spectacles like this will hopefully bring the crowds back to the Crocs.

They deserve a better crowd (for that game) than that.

6'ers did very well under the circumstances, I think they'll be pumped for the Cairns game.

Reply #448720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These outside shooters are killing us week in week out and even teams that don't have a big inside player of significance.
Come on Joey it getting teams back in game against us etc , so please look at sorting out this problem.

Reply #448726 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

A 'solid centre in their prime' for $80-90k? Is that realistic? Well done TSV team, shame about the TSV people who couldn't be bothered getting behind their team. Even when Cairns is at their lowest they still pull 3500.

Reply #448728 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

The Crocs are a solid team offensively and defensively. I like Pace and Markovic is getting better. Would like to see a legit C on their team next year.

Reply #448730 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

Another observation. Norton gets to the line well.

Reply #448731 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Once Norton rediscovers his stroke from downtown he is going to be a force. He doesn't get off the ground enough for a little guy when shooting the three. It's almost like a free throw. I think there's too much backspin and sidespin on the ball as well.

Reply #448732 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Was it Norton that had a nice stroke but it was re-trained out of him?

Reply #448733 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

That's what someone on this forum with some kind of inside scoop said a while back: that someone at the Crocs worked with him to change his stroke. I'm guessing it would have been one of the assistants...

He used to be a pure shooter...now he looks as though Jake Holmes taught him how to shoot...flat arc with sidespin.

Having said that, this season he is the best free throw shooter in the league, while last year he was pretty unreliable. It's just his 3 pt shot that is still average.

Also...lots of guys are great shooters in juniors but then with the extra length, speed, and defensive ability of pro defenses they lose their touch a bit. It's also different being able to shoot the ball 30 times a game to find a rhythm, then turning pro and only getting a couple of shots. I

As an entirely unqualified commentator from the couch, I do think it is a technique problem with Mitch though. Flat footed, too much spin (both backspin and dreaded sidespin) as well as the release being far too slow. Great shooters all take less than a second to get their shot off, and the best take less than 0.8.

Reply #448734 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Gee Townsville really needs to get to the games or they will lose their team for good. Can't understand why they don't want to. Apparently the stadium of Townsville won't be getting the upgrade it was promised.

Reply #448735 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I dont know if you can blame "townsville".

The onus is on the crocs as a franchise to get people thru the door.

Their marketing strategy is not nearly creative enough, and a lot of their advertising comes off as very amateurish.

The people of townsville don't have to DO anything.

Reply #448737 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You cant fault their effort though. They are working hard in the community with countless volunteers doing more than their fair share. I just think the strategy and execution is a bit tepid.

Reply #448738 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Agree with that. Need to get more than 2,909 to the Townsville games.

I had a gut feeling this was going to fall the wrong way for the Sixers. Townsville just a bit desperate and had a few things going their way.

That is an incredible stat that DJ had not been fouled out in an NBL game before. Perhaps the NBL do need to have a standby ref. Or a least get the stadium announcer to put out a call to the crowd for someone to have a crack! (the mascot and/or a cheerleader to be used to select the emergency replacement of course)

Reply #448739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

update on the funding for the TECC - the federal govt pulled the promised $5mil but the state govt looks like they are going to come through with it.

Reply #448740 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

DJ has fouled out 6 times in the NBL

Reply #448749 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I thought it was unusual that he hadn't, thanks for clearing that up Muzz

Reply #448752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the cairns 6ers thread. DJ n Ervs going 7/24 in a loss is worth discussing c'mon guys.

Reply #448834 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754