Some_Fulla
Years ago

FIBA Oceania Champs

So the NZ Maori MEN came out victors (71-66) by beating up on their 17yo Aussie counterparts...

Hope they don't celebrate too much..

Topic #33279 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Aussie's were actually the U19 squad, it was a super weak team. Not much talent at all. The hope for AUS is the U17 team, that looks like it has all the future stars.

This U19 team was nothing without McVeigh, Bolden and Simmons

Reply #448347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, those three would make a big difference but this group has had zero put into them, there are some talented players there, just need some time.

Reply #448358 | Report this post

Whodat  
Years ago

You have 3 guys who will be getting CoE scholarships yet they have no talent. I think they have a bit of talent maybe a little. They would all be u17 because there worlds is in 2015.

Reply #448362 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Bolden.....any relation to former NBL import Bruce Bolden?

Juniors aren't my strong point.

Reply #448364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How short do poppies have to be before we are prepared to stop cutting them down???

Reply #448367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

V8 - he is Bruce's son. Very talented, if a bit raw.
Had a really good U/18 Classics in..... 2012(?), leading Sydney Comets to the gold medal.

Zero put into them? LOL, nice excuse.

Reply #448372 | Report this post

Phobus  
Years ago

Haters = Motivators

That's all I'm going to say.

Reply #448377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go to this page and you can watch the final (at the bottom of the page).

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3621-0-272369-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=26981576

Krebs
smith
Blagovjevic
dufelmeier
are good and worth some time at the CoE

Reply #448398 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

I am watching the final between NZ/Aus... Bolden isn't playing?...

However, not seeing anyone with any X factor so far. Not wowed... Not sure if this team has any future pros or Boomers.

Reply #448412 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Haven't watched this group play, but I wouldn't be surprised to not see kids with flair or x-factor.

The Under 19 group tends to have a culture of team basketball. They play with fundamentals, they share the rock and play 'smart'/'safe' basketball.

I remember the Under 19 Emus at the World Champs.

Dellavedova never really stood out and averaged 10 ppg. Cadee averaged like 9 or so ppg. Young averaged 8 ppg as well.

All those players are now professional. And one plays in the best league in the world.

Same with the following Emus' group.

Scoring was generally really well spread. You could never really pick who was going to be a star (Except for a few games here or there).

A guy like Daniel Trist who hardly set the scoring department alight whilst with the Emus is now averaging 14.8ppg and 5.7rpg at a D1 School.

The Emu's style of play is geared towards team basketball.

Put them in a different style and they flourish individually. But the Emus style is successful and has being successful in placing the Aussie U19 team as one of the best teams in the world year in year out.

I'll be honest, when I saw guys like Drmic and Greenwood play at the 2010 AST i thought "These guys are overrated".

But you play against them and you realise they can flat out play with the best of them. It's just that when they are in that environment that isn't necessarily their role.

They could go for 30. But they want to win. Credit where credit is due they have a winning mentality.

Reply #448426 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Yeah good points. in the Juniors it isnt the environment for players to stand out it seems. I am not worried about Aussie balls future at all... some of these kids probably will develop well

Reply #448429 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Even go back as far to the 2007 FIBA Under 19 World Championships.

Goulding averaged like 4ppg and 4rpg and was 5/30 from 3!

Gliddon averaged like 2 or so ppg.

BTW, Australia should have won that tournament. 8-1 record. Ogilvy was an absolute BEAST

Reply #448432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754