Mayor
Years ago

Leilani Mitchell = great role model

BA have a marketing goldmine opportunity with this girl. She speaks well and given Joyce is looking at her for the Opals, they should promote her as much as they can. http://tinyurl.com/mp6o88n

Topic #33300 | Report this topic

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Born and raised in Washington.. is she an Australian citizen? ..

Reply #448723 | Report this post

GuesswhosBACK  
Years ago

Just watched. Think I have a crush already. lol.

Reply #448725 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

She is playing as a local for the Rangers as they already have two imports in Novosel & Pederson so she must have dual citizenship.

Reply #448727 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Still would take Hurst over Mitchell as starting PG for Opals IMO.

Reply #448764 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

"Still would take Hurst over Mitchell as starting PG for Opals IMO."

On what grounds?

BA can leverage a lot off her. Whether she is good enough...have no idea.

Reply #448807 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

On the grounds that Hurst is a better player than Mitchell IMO.

Reply #448836 | Report this post

Years ago

Both be top shelf

Reply #448843 | Report this post

Dandy  
Years ago

Mitchell all day as starting PG over Hurst!!

Reply #449065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^Keep Dreaming Dandy!!!^^^

Reply #449072 | Report this post

Dandy  
Years ago

Mitchell is ahead of Hurst in assists per game and steals per game.
Plenty of scorers in the Aus team, we need someone who can set things up and create opportunities.. That's Mitchell all day everyday! Welcome to the Opals!!

Reply #449104 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Theyre two different types of point guards, I think theyd complement each other very well. Id prob use Mitchell as the starter and Hurst as the pace-changer off the bench.

Reply #449110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hurst a far better defensive player than Mitchell IMO. Hurst can quite easily adapt her game to be more a distributor with the Opals as compared to her role with the Caps where she needs to play a bigger role offensively. The cases for Mitchell & Kyrie Irving to play for Australian doesn't sit with me well just because they have an obscure biological connection to this country but both of them haven't spent any significant time in this country. I reckon as a country we don't want to go down this slippery slope!

Reply #449161 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Irving and Mitchell are completely different cases.

Mitchell's mum is indigenous, some of her siblings were born in Australia, and she was brought to Australia more than once to visit relatives. She has a genuine connection to this country that by blood dates back a long long time.

Irving just happened to be pushed out of his American mother's womb here, to quote our famous anon.

Reply #449163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Mitchell's strong American accent shows her strong connection to this land!

Reply #449165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

One of the dumbest comments ever on hoops?

Reply #449174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^How So^^^

- Some people are putting her up as Australian of the Year. My point is that whilst she has visited this country on occasions it's a long way from having a connection to this country.

Reply #449192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee, glad we are not all as narrow-minded as you are!

Reply #449194 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, youve got to have an Aussie accent to have a connection to Australia!

Reply #449200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitchell's mum is of Asian descent according to Wikipedia paul, not that it matters but it doesn't say she is indigenous.

Reply #449206 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

And that's a good example of why wikipedia cant always be relied upon!

She was a Torres Strait Islander, born on Thursday Island. Some of her family is still there. Here's an article from the Torres News:

http://www.wnbl.com.au/fileadmin/user_upload/team_storage/dandenong/0910_PDF_s/leilani.pdf

I was lucky enough to interview Leilani earlier in the year and playing for Australia is something that would mean a lot to her, more so now that her mum has passed away.

Reply #449208 | Report this post

Mayor  
Years ago

Great article and adds more to her "credibility" as an Aussie.

Reply #449211 | Report this post

catness everdeen  
Years ago

her knowledge of the USA players alone would make her invaluable.

she's got game

Reply #449216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha thanks for clearing it up paul! I thought if wiki went to the effort of naming 4+ races it must be true. Cheers for the link

Reply #449217 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

What Rubbish... They are both midgets at 5ft 5 inches. It's a disadvantage at both ends of the floor playing tiny guards unless they are offensive juggernaughts (ie. Harrower).

Madgen, Phillips will play majority of minutes at Pg with O'hea assisting if necessary.
Hurst will push for a bit player spot, Mitchell is way behind - she has a limited game offensively.

Reply #449425 | Report this post

catness everdeen  
Years ago

madgen not PG

Reply #449426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disagree with Tmk. Leilani's offensive game - i.e. taking it to the rack, and knocking down the open 3, translates just fine to the Opals level where the scoring is going to come mostly from the post anyway.
Hurst's dominating the possession on the other hand is not what the Opals need from a PG.

Give me Mitchell every time. Her size hasn't caused her any issues at the WNBA level where she is still quite an effective defender. Hurst at WNBA level is of course unproven since she is not good enough to be there.

Reply #449453 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hurst has performed well in the Euroleague though, and Joyce is a fan of what she brought last international season. Will be interesting to see how it develops, certainly a lot of talented options.

Reply #449458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Madgen, Phillips will play majority of minutes at Pg "

Then the Opals are doomed. Madgen has no point skills. Lets hope TMK isn't on the selection panel!

Reply #449473 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

eeep I'd rather O'Hea play the point, Madgen is not a point guard!

Reply #449674 | Report this post

Years ago

mitchell's fine - you cant be starting pg for bill laimbeer unless you have game

Reply #449676 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

I think many on this board believe basketball is the same game played in the 80's with a traditional PG running the show.

The top PGs in the game are scoring PG's like Sue Bird, Harrower, Becky Hammon, Lindsay Whalen, Chris Paul, Derrick Rose, Kyrie Irving, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook. They can run an offense sure but they can score at will...and can bail the team out regularly as the shot clock expires.

The Opals will never win gold with a traditional PG as a significant player.

Leilani Mitchell is not a starter in the WNBA - she is too darn short and doesn't have the offensive fire power to be an asset playing 35 mins a game. It's too much to ask her to be the last guard back in defense on a fast break, she can't deny the post, she can't challenge shooters as well as taller guards, she can't finish on the fast beak.

She is an average offensive player with a high basketball IQ.

Reply #449781 | Report this post

Sorry, but  
Years ago

> I'd rather O'Hea play the point, Madgen is not a point guard!

LMAO!

Reply #449793 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did no one just watch ABC game!!!
Mitchell is awesome.
Runs rings around any point guard in Australia
She is settling in nicely to style of play down under and getting used to players here.
You can't expect new players to show what they can do in just a few games!!
We are only half way thru season and she is starting to show all just what kind of player she is
I'm definitely a fan after watching game on TV today

Reply #449804 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anyone who thinks Mitchell doesn't have "offensive fire power" need to get a copy of today's game, the girl can turn it on when it needs to be.

Reply #449805 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Hurst had a dynamic game Vs Fire on Friday as well. Going off for 33pts & pretty much secured the victory with her individual performance. I'm still taking Hurst over Mitchell as starting PG for Opals IMO.

Reply #449848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why can't they both make the team and fight for minutes in practice and let the coach sort it out?

Reply #449857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No reason at all they can't both be there.
If we assume that Kristi is out of the picture internationally then they're probably the 2 best PG options we have and you definitely want to have at least 2 going into a major tourney.

Reply #449874 | Report this post

Dandy  
Years ago

Are we also forgetting about MacLeod? Was she not back up PG at the Olympics. Is only taking a year off and then surely she is also back in the mix. Been All Star 5 in the WNBL multiple years in a row now... Will be an interesting battle between MacLeod, Hurst & Mitchell

Reply #449881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good call
Mitchell > MacLeod but if she is back to 100% then Kath > Hurst and also has more international experience
When is she due? Might be pushing it to be back in time for Turkey

Reply #449893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TMK you confuse a point guard with a 2 man.

Reply #450155 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

"TMK you confuse a point guard with a 2 man."

I think you are confused given you believe the concept of a 1-man, 2-man, etc still exists.

The modern game is about match-ups. Ever heard the words : Team xzy is going with a tall line-up, or xyz is going with a small line-up.

Remember the Bulls team of the 90's. Starting line-up was Ron Harper, Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen. The small traditional point-guard is non-effective and has been for 20+ years. The Boomers need guards who can score, defend, and are tall.

My starting Opals lineup: O'Hea, Madgen, Taylor, Jackson, Cambage.

Reply #450220 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

^^^TMK^^^ - No way Madgen is a starter in the Opals team. She'll be flat out making the team! I doubt current Opals coach would start a side without a significant ball carrier & distributor. Yes O'Hea can do this but only in 'cameo appearances'.

Reply #450240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed. Very silly. If the USA ups the pressure that lineup wouldn't even get the ball into the front court.
O'Hea as a primary ball handler is a shockingly bad idea at international level. Plus with her lack of foot speed who is she going to guard? Not a backcourt player that's for sure. At the top level she is a spot-up shooter and not much else.

Reply #450255 | Report this post

Years ago

Will need a PG with breakdown moves

Reply #450261 | Report this post

Years ago

Ohea. Best on the wing

Reply #450262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed.
She is a good passer but there is a hell of a lot more to being an international PG than being a good passer.
Hope to never see Bogut playing PG for the Boomers.

Reply #450269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill still stick with my lineup, Madgen & Ohea are good for 3-4 assists a game each. Both are good defenders, can run and finish on the break and can rebound. Both are excellent scorers and can take their man off the dribble.

With Jackson and Taylor you have two veterans who can help with being a link running the offense or take take turns carrying the load.

There's one spot for a backup ball handler if it doesn't work and it goes to Phillips. Macleod, Mitchell and Hurst are vowing for that unfortunate role of bench warmer and wont play more than 3-4 mins a game.

With Cambage there's likely to be double teams and I think Kunek will play long minutes as that corner shooter.

Reply #450628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What???
O'Hea is an awful defender and can not take anyone off the dribble. Also can not finish around the rim under even minimal pressure. And that's without even addressing the obvious point that she is not even close to being an international standard ball handler.

You need to do a lot less puffing and a lot more passing if you think the Opals should not have a proven point guard in their starting 5!

Reply #450774 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

^^^^ a lot of negative O'hea talk. You realise she leads the league in scoring and will win the MVP by a long shot. Right? In this league she can do everything you have said she can't.

Care to explain what a proven point guard is??? Is it someone who dribbles the ball up court? Someone who initiates he offense?? I can name 10 players who can do that as well as Mitchell. What I what in my starting 5 are scorers that can go off for 30 points if given the chance. Cambage, O'hea, Jackson, Madgen, Taylor, can all do that. Harrower can do it, so can Hurst. Can Mitchell???? No. The USA have guards that can score in bucket loads and because of that they have no weak spots. They can score inside and out and every time the ball is in a players had they are a scoring threat. With a traditional pg we have a scoring weakness and in all likelihood a defensive weakspot due to height.

Reply #451316 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

TMK - No way can Madgen score 30 pts at the International Level & certainly not against the USA. Madgen will be flat out making the final side IMO.

Also I don't think the MVP race is all O'Hea for the taking. Batkovic making a pretty solid run of late & could be a 3 times consecutive MVP.

Reply #451330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah yes Batkovic. Another player like O'Hea who is very good at being a big fish in a small pond but disappears at the top level of the sport. Both struggled at WNBA level and neither made any real impact for the Opals against quality opponents. If we ever need to beat a minnow like New Zealand or Great Britain we can count on them though.

Who is the next Timms/Harrower? Mitchell is the best we have but she is not at that level. Aside from Cambage there is no elite talent of the level of Harrower, Taylor or Jackson at any position.

Reply #451452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember Angela top scored in an olympics

Reply #451458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting Harrower at the same level as Jackson & Taylor is a stretch.

Kristy never shoot over 40% from the field in the wnba whereas Penny & LJ have dominated (especially LJ). Erin Phillips has been a lot more productive in the wnba and stats wise even O'Hea is tracking better in that league than Kristy.

I respect Kristy for getting everything out of herself ability/talent wise and to still be doing what she is doing at her age although I doubt she would have ever been considered an elite talent (Penny/LJ level) after her 1st or 2nd Olypmics which is where most of our players (Philips/O'Hea/Jarry/etc) are at.

Reply #451530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^Are You 4 Real^^^!!!

In her prime Kristy was widely acknowledged as the best PG in the World (even by the USA). I wouldn't be so focussed on Kristy's WNBA stats, when she was in her prime it was acknowledged that Europe was the mecca of Women's Basketball & Kristy's legacy in Europe speak for herself. Please do your research before making silly & unfounded comments!

Reply #451550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^Are You 4 Real^^^!!!

Yes I am, 100% for real.

Kristy played key years in the wnba (always the best league in the world) and was a below average player.

Link below

http://www.basketball-reference.com/wnba/players/h/harrokr01w.html

Stats provided, which is more research than you have done. Didn't you critise Batkovic & O'Hea for not getting it done against best and struggling in the wnba? Although now its fine to disregard Kristy's wnba production.

Its easy to call Euro the mecca of womens hoops although the best american players have always played in the wnba.

Reply #451555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^NFI^^^

Reply #451561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#owned

Reply #451563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kristi has a proven track record of elite performance for the Opals. That's the bottom line. Jenna & Suzy do not. They're role players. The Opals need that too but let's not get stupid and put them in the same sentence as Kristi, who ran the team during its golden era and as that previous person said, was up there with the world's best PGs for a good portion of that time.

Reply #451570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some players perform better in the green and gold then for their clubs (Wortho, etc). Kristy is one of those.

Kristi wasn't put in the same sentence as Jenna & Susy, just removed from the sentence with LJ & Taylor.

The wnba performance was mentioned as Kristi had the wnba career of a below average point guard (PER around 10 where 14 is considered an average player). If she was as talented/good/same level as LJ and Taylor she would have had a better career in that league.

You mentioned Jenna and Suzy are role players. Kristi was a role player when she was first on the squad (when Timms played). The dynamics of a team change over time.

Reply #451699 | Report this post

Tmk  
Years ago

Agreed Harrower couldn't get it done in the WnbA. Not tall enough and not athletic enough. Her game had to evolve to compete in the league which is why she can make 3s from a meter behind the arc.

Harrower regarded as the best pg in the world? Not since Sue Bird began playing professionally. In addition her wnba numbers aren't comparable to staley, weather spoon, or Hammon.

Reply #452356 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754