Years ago

sydney @ the gong

No talk on this game?

No abuse at Heal?

Hmm... Everyone must be distracted by the Sixers 0-2

Topic #33303 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think we are all in shock after NBL TV went down.

Is that box score correct? Who is this L. Davidson?

Reply #448841 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

As I've said since the day Sanders left, they need a Point Guard. If we win at home against the Crocs on Friday, look out Kings on Sunday.

Reply #448847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody seems to care much about Hawks games, especially the fans that who used to attend them.

Reply #448848 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Wait, Sydney and Cairns is in the new year. Never mind.

Reply #448849 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Crowd was a shocker, 2224 was the crowd number.

Reply #448852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Hawks won't be around for long if crowds don't improve.

Reply #448886 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Hawks crowds have been piss poor this year. I thought being a game against the Kings + Sat night (both factors in the past have proved to be successful) would translate to at least 3,700+

There was nothing else on the Gong either unlike the previous few games (Camp Convoy and Syd to Gong bike ride)

Reply #448911 | Report this post

jjb  
Years ago

Actually Sydney could do with all three imports, but they are just gotta figure it out.. or get used to low scores.

Reply #448928 | Report this post

Yeah, I figured this would be the first "normal" crowd for Wollongong. Bit disturbing to see...

Reply #448930 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah, the size of the crowd was very disappointing, I reckon a large amount of them would have been Kings fans, and it was great to hear the CA (who, every time he opened his mouth, reminded me why I don't attend more Hawks games despite them being relatively close to home) call on the home town fans to get loud as all he could hear were the Kings chants, so well done to the travelling fans...

Of course once they got a sniff, the crowd was very vocal as usual...

A shame about the result... The Kings came out red hot, getting to I think 12-2 in five minutes I think? To then not only make it to 37 by the half but let the Hawks have caught up, very disappointing and it was great to hear that Madge gave the team a serve afterwards, as while the Hawks did a fantastic job double and triple teaming AJ, Young looked more than bored... Another game where he decided to take things on himself to the detriment of the team and for all the talk of him "guarding LeBron", the Hawks players had it all over him, other than a really nice block in the first half on Tiggs...

Comments made along the lines of him performing similar to the level of a lower level import that will soon be sent home, I don't think are too inaccurate... Three games in and while shots may take a little while to warm up, also to learn the sets of the team, a lot of talk was made of his attitude and doing whatever it takes to help the team win, when he came on board, and I can't see that at all other than him thinking that it's all about him scoring...

Reply #448970 | Report this post

Dasson Maid  
Years ago

What do you expect the court announcer to do you nuffy. Sit idly by and let Kings feel at home?

Whose ball, whose ball!!! Kings ball!

I could write 3 pages on the Kings announcer.

It's called homecourt advantage.

Reply #449010 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Of course not, despite being a dick, he was certainly doing his job... My comment was in relation to how good the Kings fans in the crowd were cheering when the handful of Hawks fans were sitting on their hands and not trying to help get their team back into it...

Reply #449029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a great game. Kings are really underperforming and i dont see them improving too much untill they find a real point guard. When the Hawks started pressuring them in the back court the Kings looked very shaky and thats against the Hawks, they will be demolished when they meet Damian Martin back there again. The Hawks are finally coming together with Larry Davidson back in the line up and at times looked very dangerous when their offensive sets were played and shots were dropping. They are lucky their Head Coach Geordie McLeod has stayed at the club for so long IMO he is one of the best coaches in the league.

Reply #449243 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

Agreed Anon #449243. McLeod continues to get the best from a low budget team with few stars. It's a shame that they seem to be losing local support with declining crowds a worry. There are already many rumours that the Hawks could be gone after this season unless something changes.

Reply #449256 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Despite having no love for the hawks at all, I agree that losing the team would be a great shame... The poor crowds are a concern though, what do people see as being the problem? The Hawks have had losing streaks before while still being competitive, is it maybe because there are no long term players such as Campbell and Sav? I know most of the team have been there for several seasons, but it's maybe not the same as having those super long term players to drum up support?

I thought when I bought tickets for Saturdays game that ticket prices for the section that I wanted seemed to have gone up, perhaps that is contributing a bit?

There's no doubting the fans (who turn up) passion, as it was as loud as ever, but it was quite obviously barely half full, which, without anything else on to compete, should be a worrying sign for Hawks management...

Reply #449267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think previously crowds were guessed rather than counted, and a number of free tickets may have also inflated figures. That said, a crowd figure under 3,000 is concerning and they'll need to push ticket sales more aggressively to get it back up.

They have five game packs for under $100. Throw in an incentive (food/merch voucher, etc) and that might lure a few people in.

Reply #449269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:43 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754