Bobby Tables
Years ago

Raptors send Rudy Gay to Sacramento

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-raptors-kings-rudy-gay-trade-000950446-nba.html

Rudy Gay (plus a couple no-names) sent to Sac-town for Vasquez, Salmons, Patterson and Hayes.

Not sure how this will work out for Sac, Gay is owed almost $40 million over the next two seasons (next season is player option, which he'll likely opt in to) and this season is shooting under %40 FG.

Topic #33310 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Another dumb move by Sactown.

Smart move by Ujiri.

Vasquez is a very good player.

I would have insisted on picks if I was taking Gay, he's that much of a net negative. Great work by Ujiri.

Reply #448996 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

What an idiotic move by Sacramento.

Isiah Thomas has been playing lights out lately, so they obviously want to give him more of a role and develop him into a star.

Either way, it's a shit move.

Reply #448998 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly. If you want to move Vasquez to make way for Thomas, that's fine, but you don't move him for Rudy Fucking Gay. You move him for picks or expiring contracts.

Reply #448999 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The more details I learn about this trade, the more confused I get. I just don't understand Sacramento's motive.

He'll be taking shots off Maclemore, whom is just starting to hit his straps as well.

Reply #449001 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also they want him to play as a stretch 4, and just traded for Derrick Williams who they want to play as a...stretch 4.

Also just noticed Patterson and Salmons' contracts are both expiring. Toronto creamed them.

Can you imagine a locker room featuring Boogie Cousins and Rudy Gay as the team's leaders and elder statesmen? This is gonna be all kinds of ugly.

Reply #449004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

None of the players involved are suiting for Toronto today, who play the Lakers in LA. Lakers paying $1.41 and their line is -6 in case you fancy that.

Reply #449005 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think the Raptors are instantly better without Gay via addition-by-subtraction but you could count on the associated turmoil to upend them.

Reply #449008 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Mick, I've been watching Sacramento recently and they're playing Williams on the wing as a three.

Those having a punt, you absolutely HAVE to get on DeRozan over 22.5 points.

Reply #449009 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

And Toronto obviously want DeRozan to develop into a superstar, which is where he is heading, and in quick time too

Reply #449011 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

Raptors surely building around DeMar, Jonas Valanciunas and even Amir Johnson to an extent.

Increases chance of fellow Canadian Andrew Wiggins in draft I think.

Raps now have FIVE point guards. Ridiculous. Lowry, Vasquez, Stone, Buycks and Augustin. Something's giving way there.

Reply #449015 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

They could also sell high on DeRozan and clear even more cap space for next Summer.

Lots of options.

Reply #449020 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I wouldn't, Mick. He is the only bright spot for the whole franchise.

In a couple years, you'll be listing the league's best, among Paul George, Anthony Davis etc.

Reply #449021 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Within the range of the league's best*

Reply #449023 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

why the hell are the lakers starting Bob Sacre? Is jordan hill injured?

Reply #449024 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

They're easing him back from an ankle sprain he suffered a couple weeks ago. He's been playing 15 or so minutes per game since.

Reply #449026 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mike D'Antoni would be so frustrating to play for...

Reply #449028 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Haha, you hate him don't you

Reply #449033 | Report this post

m  
Years ago

So I've been watching some of these lakers games this year and now that Kobe is back the ball movement just stops. Kobe is even trying to move the ball through hands but it's just like the other role players that usually step up just stand there and watch... so frustrating

Reply #449037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeRozan will not be one of the league's best. Thats crazy, not a great defender and he doesnt really influence the game in other ways apart from scoring. The other guys u mentioned definitely do.

Reply #449046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DeRozan a star lol

He's an even worse player than Rudy Gay!

Reply #449049 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Yeah I know what you're getting at, anons.

I just have really high expectations of him. He has good defensive potential and is getting a little better on that end. He's going to be one of the league's best scorers in the coming years, providing he puts away the mid range jumper and gets to the rim.

He's three years younger than Gay, so we can't really compare them for another few years yet.

I know there's no real evidence that he will be a star, but I just feel it. He has great work ethic.

Reply #449052 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

On top of his lack of anything resembling a defensive strategy, I just hate how hr constantly fucks with his rotations and benches guys when they are hot. It's tough going to work not knowing what your role is going to be, especially if your efficiency and production have no correlation with court time.

I think Kobe and the Lakers both know they arent winning anything during his current deal. After those two seasons you'll see them ditch dantoni, reload, kobe take a paycut on a final 2 year deal and go for one last hurrah. There are no free agents available to come to the lakers before than anyway, which is why all this talk of kobe taking too much coin is overblown, and they dont have many trade assets to get anyone that way...

Reply #449061 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

and after all that, DeRozan and Amir Johnson go crazy and Toronto nab the win.

Reply #449101 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

The Raps waived DJ Augustin, so that's one less PG on the roster.

They're talking about trading Lowry and/or DeRozan today as well. Obviously want to start Vasquez, so getting rid of Lowry is understandable, not sure where they're going with the possible trade of DeRozan though? At least now.

Reply #449150 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

So it looks like Derozan is coming along quite nicely. Upping his dimes and scoring a bit more efficiently.

If only he'd knock off the midrange jumpers and get to the rim more.

Reply #456227 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754