Anonymous
Years ago

Nbl all star game!?

So i havent heard anything about the all star game? Where will it be? When will it be?

Topic #33314 | Report this topic

James  
Years ago

Not on this year, absolute bulltwang

Reply #449099 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Disappointing thing is that this year would have being the best for a long time.

Ennis, Goulding, Ervin, Young, Beal, Abercrombie, Clarke, Ogilvy

Reply #449105 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There was an official announcement last week that it wasn't happening this year.

The new NBL had to do so much during this off season that unfortunately they didn't have the time and man power to organise a All-Star game/night. Personally I believe if it can't be done properly than don't half arse it. So I like they didn't try to pull it off this year.

Onwards and upwards next year!

Reply #449106 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

How hard is it to organise one more game?

Reply #449114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it is hard! Back when Townsville did it (2005?) Barry Gibson organised it all - the NBL pretty much just handed it over to the club to get done.

LOTS of work getting sponsors, entertainment, organising players, jerseys, trophies, volunteers, flights, accomodation, the voting system, media... then getting enough hype out there to generate ticket sales in the city.

The last part SHOULD be easy with the amount of talent we have in the league!!!

Reply #449115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone like AndTheFoul run an allstar ballot to see who the fans would have voted for allstar 5's? Run it for like 2wks. It is North vs South isnt it?

Cairns Townsville Woll Sydney
vs
Perth Adelaide NZ & Melb

Reply #449116 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

My advice would be for the NBL to nominate a couple of people to start working on this concept along with some form of NBA style 3 point shoot out and dunk contest for next year, plenty of time to get it done if they can put it on the agenda early enough...

Reply #449117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Major Sponsor, Proper Advertsing/Marketing campaign and the Brisbane Bullets should all be priorities for the NBL, over the all star game

Reply #449118 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

They didn't even show the Slam Dunk comp last year. Just a couple of highlights. Waste.

Reply #449120 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How hard is it to organise one more game?
That involves representatives from all teams. And multiple competitions? Hard.

I'm happy that they're not doing it if they don't think they have the time and resources to do it properly.

I also don't think the dunk comp and three point shootout reflect that well on the league. I'd rather see a different sort of challenge, and/or the dunk comp presented in a different way.

Reply #449123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the skills challenge could be something good to watch so we can show off our crop of great PGs in the league AND it is something we haven't seen before.

ALSO, what about a game including the best players from around the WABL, QBL, SEABL, Waratah League, Big V etc? guys that arent in the NBL

Reply #449126 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Agree that a Skills Challenge would be great to see for an NBL All-Star game... Just thinking all all the great players who could enter it is pretty good... Same with the dunk contest at elast this season, Walker, Ennis, Young, woul dhave been a great showcase...

I regrettably agree that if they're not able to do it properly, it's probably best not to do it, as it was half-arsed last season and I think it hurt things more than helped...

I know other issues need to be a priority if there are limited resources, but the benefit of showcasing the level of talent that we've got in the NBL, which shouldn't be undersold, and doing it PROPERLY, shouldn't be sold short... Imagine this season if it could have been run properly (and players weren't all injured) and televised with all the good bits, not cut to shreds, even if over the weekend: Dunk contest, 3pt shoot out, skills challenge on the Saturday, then All-Star game on the Sunday... That's enough to cater for both people turning up (put on a lot of stuff for the kids and fans on at the venue, get the players involved, shooting comps, little mini-skills things so that people turning up can get more out of the saturday events) and be able to fill maybe an hour slot on Saturday on tv and then the 2hr slot on Sunday with no need to cut things to shreds. That way people get a lot out of turning up, and also watching on TV is worthwhile...

Reply #449133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think the Wildcats could organise one for this year - I suspect if they got a decent slice of the revenue they could make it work.

They would fill the arena.

Reply #449137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a spectacle it would be to showcase our game with the Allstar game in the Perth Arena in front of 11000 people!

Beal
Goulding
Ennis
Vukona
Johnson
----
Worthington
D Martin
Abercrombie
Ervin
Redhage

vs
Wilson
Clark
Pace
Young
Ogilvy
----
Conklin
Madgen
Tragardh
Blanchfield
Carmouche

3pt shootout
Clark
Carmouche
Beal
Goulding
Corletto
Forman

Dunk Comp
Ennis
Walker
Young
Creek
Abercrombie

Skills Challenge
Ervin
Wilson
Markovic
K Johnson
D Martin

There is some serious talent and excitement amongst that group!

Reply #449154 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Yeah..why not just hand it over to Nick Marvin and say...you want it?

You take the reigns. Sorry mate but we are just snowed under at league HQ right now.

Make it all about Perth if you want. Your choice.

Reply #449164 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The palable talent we got and doing it in perth would be great. newnbl got problems and just not illusioned either

Reply #449167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could even do it the weekend after the grand final, make it an end-of-season / silly-season send off.

Reply #449173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a dissapointment, seeing ennis v.s young in a dunk comp would be sick

Reply #449225 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

The current timing of when the all-star break is, that's competing at Perth Arena with tennis isn't it?

How many places would be fighting to host the all-star game?

Reply #449237 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Some real research needs to be done before they have another All-Star game.

-Events (3pt shootout, dunk comp blah blah)
-Other events during that time (fighting for media exposure)
-Other entertainment (Things like NBL History display at the Arena, correct live entertainment etc)
-TV coverage issues (What will be shown live, what will be downloadable content after the event)
-Voting system

Everyone seems to think that Perth would be THE place to host the All-Star game/event just because they have been getting good crows, however unless there are a lot of Wildcats playing in the game it could turn into a disaster as most of the fans that go to games in Perth are WILDCAT fans not so much NBL fans. Meaning they follow their home team however ask them about other teams, players, records etc and most would struggle. Same goes for other cities such as Wollongong where they are HAWKS fans not really NBL fans.

Personally I would host next years game in Brisbane.
Why?
A few factors..
1. Brisbane have consistently been in the top 2-3 cities in terms of TV viewership despite not having an NBL team. This shows there are a lot of BASKETBALL fans and they don't mind if it's their Bullets or another team.
2. First year having the Bullets return to the league. Why not build up some hype in the city by giving them the All-Star game/event?
3. Use the event to kiss a** with some new sponsors, show them the best the NBL has to offer.
4. Cheaper to transport 2 teams of All-Stars (in comparison to having the game in Perth or NZ)

Reply #449260 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The game was a bit half-assed last year, with the injuries to players, having guys like Steindl playing in the all star game as a fill in because he was there for the 3pt comp took away some of its credibility and was insulting to 'genuine' allstars. (No offence to Steindl)

Reply #449272 | Report this post

"most of the fans that go to games in Perth are WILDCAT fans not so much NBL fans. Meaning they follow their home team however ask them about other teams, players, records etc and most would struggle. Same goes for other cities such as Wollongong where they are HAWKS fans not really NBL fans."

There's a team in Wollongong!?!?!

Reply #449280 | Report this post

Actually, out of wild curiosity, which teams supporters are primarily NBL supporters? Sounds like it would be tricky to develop the investment to keep the team going.

Reply #449298 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754