Grovermi$ter
Years ago

Should the 6ers be worried?

After the abyssmal sunshine swing performance on the weekend...

Should the 36ers be concerned? or was it just 'one of those' trips?

I didnt watch either game but from all reports the 36ers philosophy of letting opposition temas shoot the 3 finally came back t bite em big time!

was it a true indicator of the 'real' 36ers this year or just a blip on the radar?

Topic #33317 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Grovermi$ter, what was abysmal about the narrow loss to the Crocs?

And what's this about a team plan to let opposing teams attempt threes? We might not shoot a lot ourselves, but I haven't heard anything about letting other sides have free reign from the arc.

Reply #449135 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Before last week Adelaide's opponents were shooting 28 threes per game compared to the league average of 20. Last round though they only allowed 45 in total, suggesting that they allowed more penetration than usual.

Reply #449138 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

...should they be worried though?

Reply #449139 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think so, losing on the road is no shame, but it's a very important game this week at home.

Reply #449140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We will be O.K if we shoot the ball well, Defense is a concern, ball pressure terrible and we cant protect the rim.
But we cant have everything!!
Ervin cant stay in front of people in the half court.
We are giving up too many points!
Good to watch though.

Reply #449142 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

With two games separating 3rd from 8th I wouldn't be worried unless they dropped a couple more games

Reply #449151 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

The way it is shaping up we will only need 5 more wins to make finals, 3rd spot will need 10 more wins

36ers are OK

Reply #449152 | Report this post

GWB  
Years ago

There is chinks in the armor.. but I am not all too concerned. We are still a few games above 3rd and it would take a months worth of missfortune and another teams month of good luck to Usurp our spot from us.

We will need to make some improvements particularly defensively.. but I feel it can be done. Also 3 point shooting is a bit concerning... I would like to think it can be fixed. We have been the only team to beat Perth.. but if we want any hope of beating them in a play off series we will need to address these weaknesses.. I don't see Perth losing a series to anyone as it stands. I think we will make the play offs... and so long as we dont face Perth in the first round I am comfortable we will make the GF... But ofcourse.. the work doesn't stop yet.

Reply #449157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon an around 50% record from here in would put us in around 2nd spot, with around a 15-11 record, which to me is very achievable, if we can do a little better we may even be able to push Perth for top.

Im not worried too much, about the weekends road trip, and it would be poor effort (or the result of key players missing alot of games) if we didnt get around 50% wins of the rest of the season imo.

Reply #449158 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Two things they need are to get second spot and be fit and playing their best at the end of the season. There are no titles for pre-Christmas dominance.

Reply #449159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly Paul,

I think the biggest key is to somehow get everyone fit and firing, as if they do that and keep working hard and improving and ironing out their chinks, which i expect they do either way, they should be able to give the top 2 a real good shake.

Reply #449160 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

People just underrate the Crocs so whenever someone loses to them it's a OMG HIT THE PANIC BUTTON MOMENT.

Cairns' roster is stacked, but they are just playing abysmally (like Adelaide last year). Teams like that are dangerous and can beat any team on a random whim (like Adelaide always nabbing Perth the last few years).

Losing 2 road wins on the trot isn't great, but it's not an indictment either. You always want to get the split on a road trip, but when it's 0-2 on a trip, a couple of balls bouncing the other way and you could be 1-1 or 2-0.

When you have a stranglehold on 2nd place, minor indiscretions like this don't matter, it's the big picture that does.

"can we beat Townsville in a 3 game series if they sneak into the playoffs, knowing we have homecourt advantage?"

"are we going to be able to beat Perth twice in a series knowing THEY have homecourt advantage?"

That's all that matters.

Reply #449166 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

Makes sense against the 36ers to make Ervin and DJ play a lot of D.

These 2 QLD teams have the personal to execute that plan.

Reply #449169 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I'm worried about the injuries
Not worried if fully fit

Reply #449170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely not, providing injuries don't ruin their season.

Third place will be lucky to get 15 wins in my opinion.

I understand 36ers fans' trepidation, based previous season's performances, but they're fine.

*Nine out of the last 16 games are at home.

Reply #449176 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

^That's me

Reply #449177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cool, 9 outa the last 16 at home is a good way to finnish the season, gives us a chance to do a little better than 50% for the remainder of the season, which if we do will hopefully lock us into 2nd spot at minimum.

Reply #449180 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

36ers should shut anyone down who has any niggles. They have the ladder hold, depth and versatility to cover for anyone.

Reply #449182 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Frye has been ineffective lately. So you're right, Mick, just bring him back in the new year or something. Mitch's increased autonomy would also do wonders for his confidence, because he is the wildcard if they're going to win a championship in my opinion.

They won't miss a beat with Gibson replacing Ervin at the point either.

Reply #449183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee we are Good!!

Reply #449185 | Report this post

I'd think resting Frye and Ervin at the same time (plus I remember Boti saying there was a third injury concern, though I don't recall who it was) would be very risky if Cairns has its mojo back.

Reply #449187 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

The only time we should become worried this season if if we get confirmation that there had been a minor mistake in the original drafting of the dynamic duo's original coaching contracst and the 36ers have discovered that they now have to honour the previously ignored 4th year of Marty's head coaching contract.

- and that he has boarded the plane to return.

Reply #449197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very old, don't be mistaken I heard they were just as keen to get out of the shit hole!

Reply #449199 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Yeah if I was them I would be so embarrassed about what I had done to the 6ers I would want to get out of there as fast as I could.

Reply #449202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm concerned shouldn't be losing to the 2nd to bottom team by 20 points if you're serious.

The Crocs loss no probs but to respond with that lack of urgency I agree with Joey we're not playing good basketball at the moment. That was evident before the Crocs game against the Hawks.

There needs to be a big attitude adjustment on Sunday against Cairns.

Reply #449233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fryre should be rested now to get over this ankle injury of his.we need to be ready by the end of the season and finals Frye is gonna need be the xfactor come finals.Give creek starter role for few weeks.it wont hurt to do so ,he might start off with a slam that ill get crowd excited.

Reply #449236 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

You Adl fans shouldn't be too worried. You were never going to bit Cns last week, they put together a great game vs Perth the week before and gained the confidence they needed. It didn't help backing up after the Tsv game, you could see the Adl players were tired. Ervin looked ineffective (with his back injury). I'd be more concerned about DJ and Gibson's competing ego's. If Joey can keep everyone happy you'll be fine. BJ Anthony should be getting the ball more too, he is much more talented than I perceived, but the egos in the team will probably not allow that.

Reply #449275 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@nathan of nz:

Who cares if they drop another game? They need to get healthy. That was my whole point.

Reply #449281 | Report this post

^ It's still Nathan of Perth, I bound by my bet till friday :P

And that's a fair point; no good winning an extra one or two in the short term if it leaves you with half-fit players for most of the season.

Reply #449282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must admit i agree with Mick, also i wouldnt completely rule out a win without our imports, who its vital we have them healthy for later in the season.

I know we came bottom last season, but we did have some good wins and our team without our imports this season is pretty much what we had last season, moving Cadee back into the starting 5 and giving Creek a start and major minutes, which is an upgrade from having Weigh play 35 mins like we had last season imo.

All though id say Cairns would be favourites, if we did, but its not impossible for the 36ers to rest the imports for a game (short term pain, long term gain) and get the win.

Hard to do though, id say there would be heaps against the idea, but if your rule them out injured and not call it resting it is an easier sell to the fans and doesnt come across as cocky to the opposition.

Reply #449284 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wilson:

I'd be more concerned about DJ and Gibson's competing ego's
What competing egos? The only ego that's a factor with that team (see the occasional forced drive) is Ervin's. Gibson seems fine with doing whatever he needs to, and Johnson too.

Reply #449291 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I wouldnt even rule out a win without the imports. You guys have a luxury of depth that you should capitalise on.

Gibson
Cadee
Creek
Petrie
DJ

Schensch
BJ
Teys
DP1
DP2

Is better than half of the teams in the league...

Reply #449295 | Report this post

A win would be no means be ruled out, but it does give the odds a decent bump back towards the middle.

Reply #449297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea could Daly be brought in for a game or 2 if Ervin cant play, would give us a good back up pg behind Cadee,

Reply #449305 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daly is on the bench at home games as a sort of second assistant coach at the moment, so he's at least in the fold.

Reply #449309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cool, glad he has been kept around the club, would be good to have him if one of our players misses games, i was a fan of his and was sad to see him not get a gig this season.

I know its probably too early to be thinking next season, but given we have Ervin or a star pg import, would it be worth swapping Cadee out for Daly who would likely be cheaper, then spending the extra cash/points either upgrading Teys to say Dan Dillon? or spending more on Fryes import spot, if we can find a way it would be awesome to get a Ennis level guy in that spot. Sort of sacrifice a little depth with Cadee to get the stud import in, a bit like Perth did going for Burdon instead of a Rhys Carter type.

Not that i dislike Cadee, would love to keep him, just wondering if we would be better off with less depth and a bit more strength in our main 7-8 guys.

Anyway way to early to be thinking roster moves, just a thought i have had since the end of last season, but am very happy with the group we have and what they have done this season!

Reply #449317 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Just playing it how I see it Isaac. There was certainly some issues on Sat night re. DJ, I'm happy to put that one down to a tough road trip. But when Gibson makes a couple of shots his ego takes over and then he starts taking excessive silly shots. As a Cairns fan, I was happy to see him make a few shots because he wasn't going to distribute it as effectively cause he was more focused on his shots and "hot" hand. Cadee was the same, great first half but then didn't do anything, probably too focused on the team bonding session after the game.

Reply #449338 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

36ers will play finals. It's just a question of whether we improve defence enough to win a finals' series. The current team has the same problem that the 36ers have had since the end of Smyth's era - we leak points at the defensive end. To win finals will need effective defence.

Thankfully, we have a good coaching crew and better offensive strategies that are working. The team chemistry seems to be good and the players seem to be playing for the team. Even Ervin, for all his tendency to want to be The Man at the close of every game.

Reply #449361 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:17 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754