Northern Brew
Years ago

Crocs @ Taipans Friday 13th

Scary game for the Taipans and after the joys of beating Adelaide by 20 points last week, this week could turn into another 2 losses quickly if they don't take care of business at home. Townsville are playing very good basketball at the moment and I think if the game follows the same trend as their up tempo round 1 matchup in Townsville, the Crocs could take this out.

Hinder apparently out so that's a plus for the Crocs but I gotta go with my heart - Cairns by 4

Topic #33344 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going crocs by 6

Reply #449651 | Report this post

Steven  
Years ago

Cairns will be full of confidence after belting Adelaide last week but showing how even the comp is this year I think Townsville will get up

Reply #449653 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

crocs by 6

Reply #449654 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

If McCamey is ever going to drop 20, tonight will be the night. He can actually get to the lane at will, but settles wayyy too much for three point shots.

If Cairns play the offensive style they should, they'll win. I simply don't trust the Crocs away from home, espcially against Cairns whom have stepped up in recent seasons vs their northern rivals.

Reply #449657 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@SS Mccamey tore the Crocs up in round one so I wouldn't rule it out.

And you're right: Cairns come into these games with a lot more pride and punch. It seems like Townsville don't take the "reptile rumbles" as seriously as they used to, which is a shame.

I think the guard play will decide this one. Whoever gets the upper hand there should get up.

Reply #449666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pace will kill the taipans. No one can really match up with him

Reply #449669 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Gliddon will have a crack, but as a rule, guards with post games usually get the better of younger defenders when they take them down low. Pace's whole game is down low.

Reply #449670 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That's why I said it, Micko. I was at that game.

Townsville is the worst, if not, second worst team at defending penetration. We just need to hustle back on D; our stopping ability in the halfcourt is passable and getting better thank goodness.

Reply #449671 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Markovic has looked a littler spryer the last couple of games so hopefully he actually makes an effort to limit Wilson's constant forays into the paint.

I've never seen a team that plays so much zone get torched so often by what are essentially iso plays. It doesn't make sense!

Reply #449672 | Report this post

David97  
Years ago

If they can finally put their endless talent to use, it would not be a surprise to see the Taipans around come playoff time. For that to happen though, they must put away teams like the Crocs, so I'm being lured by their 'mystical' talent into tipping them again.

Reply #449687 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Cairns is paying $6 to make playoffs. Don't touch it now, but if they win tonight and put in a decent showing vs Adelaide, you gotta get on that.

Reply #449694 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Top half of the league get in the playoffs, with how even everything has been, $6 for anyone bar Wollongong is massive overs, so I'd agree with that.

Reply #449697 | Report this post

David97  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if the bookies left $6 about the taipans if that happened though...

Reply #449698 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I didn't qualify it as I thought that would've been obvious. They don't rate the Taipans and that opinion wouldn't change in one weekend of basketball.

A 1-1 record over the weekend would see the quote at $4.50-5. If they do that and I were a bookie, I'd have them at $2.50.

Reply #449707 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Make that closer to $3

Reply #449708 | Report this post

David97  
Years ago

Why wait for them to win a game where they're paying $1.60 and then have their price slashed?

Reply #449718 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

To show that their win against Adelaide wasn't a fluke and that they have genuine motivation and potential.

Reply #449719 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

That's the whole point--the Townsville game is a gauge.

Reply #449721 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

I'm actually rescinding my statement about the crocs game being a gauge. If we win, it means nothing much, but if we lose, then it's very bad. Very very bad.

Reply #449726 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mitch Norton has been terrible. Our defensive rebounding had been even worse. Same story as round 1. Zone d giving them way too many looks from deep and then putting us out of position for rebounds. Dennis needs to react. Crocs making cairns look good.

Reply #449727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither team are very good, cant imagine this was a very entertaining game to watch.

Reply #449728 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Insightful comment anon, please tell us more.

Reply #449729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was behind croc bench, heard Dennis regularly asking mike what to do next, he seemed lost.

Reply #449731 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How about trying this weird thing called SWITCHING TO FUCKING MAN WHEN YOU ARE GETTING TORCHED FROM DEEP AND ON THE O GLASS.

Pisspoor effort from Dennis tonight.

Reply #449732 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He needs to scout better and not just use the same game plan against every team. Cairns' backcourt and wings are all long and can see over traps. Dont waste your time running a half assed trap against them.

Save it for a tiny backcourt like NZ.

Im sick of us making Jamar wilson look like cedric jackson.

Reply #449733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about the coir announcer constantly yelling defence. Did my head in

Reply #449748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First half was good to watch but that second half was unbearable.

In the first half both teams combined for 98 points in the second half just 63 points combined.

Bad vs Bad.

Reply #449755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocs really lack another mobile big man - it's like watching dads army they are so slow .. If only Mitch young had chosen the crocs
Cairns with a new coach would be pretty to watch -

Reply #449761 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Mick - really Norton terrible you can't be serious showing your lack of basketball here! It's not all about scoring (which he as his first serious year in with decent court time is 6 pts / game) his D is very good has plenty of game smarts. Admittedly his 3 pt shooting is slowly coming back but wow Terrible wouldn't be a word I would use! Awesome at drawing the foul and 2nd in the league at the line. Surprising from you Mick

Reply #449765 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Just did a conservative run home for Cairns and I have them at 10-7 for the remainder, which has them finishing 14-14.

L @Adelaide
L vs Perth
W @Sydney
L @Melbourne
W vs Wollongong
W vs Sydney
W @Wollongong
W @Townsville
L @Perth
L @Adelaide
W vs Townsville
L @New Zealand
W vs Sydney
W vs New Zealand
W @Wollongong
W @Melbourne
L @New Zealand

H2H could be costly come playoff time, as we are:

2 losses (2 games) and -15 points against Melbourne
1 loss (1 game) and -13 points against Sydney

Reply #449768 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

The above is based on the team actually giving a shit and trying hard.

Reply #449770 | Report this post

Ganymede 86  
Years ago

If Conklin was 6'9-6'10 he'd be in the NBL first team. Struggled to finish as he's 6'6

Reply #449771 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@Matt: you are describing what Mitch Norton does well in general, not what he did in that game. I didn't say he was a terrible player, I said he played terribly against Cairns.

I am a big fan of the kid, but the fact is he struggled to get into the paint, turned the ball over on a few costly possessions and let Jamar Wilson school him again.

@Ganymede: i think he would be fine if he just had another big next to him who is a threat. Jacob Holmes, Vandy and Hinder aren't exactly tough covers, so the defense just focuses on Conklin. Throw a legit center next to him and he will thrive.

Reply #449775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jamar had like 7 points, 2 assists. Not really schooling Mick. Plus, an recent ex-league runner up MVP should probably always school a 19yo kid who is basically a rookie

Reply #449779 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's Mitch's second full season, 3rd in the league in calendar terms (he missed most of his first season with injury)

He's not basically anything, he's definitely a second year player.

Jamar beat him every time he tried, which opened up lots of 3pt looks off hockey assists, and made Crocs bigs over-help.

Loss is not his fault though...blame falls squarely on Dennis for sticking with trap-to-zone.

Reply #449785 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Mick - really I would just stop, correct you can't count the first he was injured, last year he got a little court time but from what we have been told Woolpert never wanted him and the kid was told not shoot or play make, he was 10th man and he needed to remember that. They tried changing his shot which clearly just killed him. You can't comparing Jamar and he at all age, experience, court time and wage!!!!! TO well he is known to be very safe with the ball sometimes to safe and his turn over count reflects that! Perhaps focus on the names that get the big pay packets that are turning iver the ball not rebounding etc. He draws good fouls is second in the league for FT and is 6pts av a game. You say your a fan now would be the time to back that up instead of trying to explain the poor comments on this kid. lost some respect for you today Mick !

Reply #449788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Court announcer is john piva. Used to be on the radio. They took him off. Can see why. Awful job he does at the game. Shoves the mike right into his mouth and shouts his lungs out.

Reply #449789 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mitch got plenty of opportunity under Woolpert. He was the backup PG (ahead of Chris Cedar who is five years older than him) and was one of the first players off the bench most games, ahead of guys who have been in the league for years. Chris Cedar, Ben Allen, Larry Abney (before he left) and Mick Cedar were all behind him in the depth chart, so he was hardly the "10th man" as you suggested.

You're talking about Mitch Norton's season so far (which has been great), I'm talking about his game last night (which wasn't great). You're barking up the wrong tree.

He has played well all season, and had one bad game. Not the end of the world to tell it as it is. Calm down.

Reply #449794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with Piva? I think that his constant chants of "defense" and the other things really bring the crowd into it and gets the atmosphere going. It's not terribly loud or irritating to me, unlike the times when they constantly play the ridiculously loud dance music that drowns everything out, including your thoughts.

Reply #449797 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

I don't need to calm down, I am not the one with conflicting issues!

The point i am trying to make is your comment of him being terrible last night, he wasn't. he had no Turn overs he had 5 points. His D was good he had 1 foul and drew 3. Jamar had 7 points.

Look at the actual stats it will go along way to helping you ! Crocs had bigger issues than him.

I just think for someone who is a fan singling him out was low blow!

I am assuming you will see him at tonight's game shake his hand look him in the face and say great game!

Wish I could be there to see it!

No worries Mick.

Reply #449798 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

He had at least two turnovers...NBL statisticians are just so useless they must have missed them.

Reply #449799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754