Anonymous
Years ago

Lightning - where to from here?

Went to the game yesterday, and for me it was a VERY winable game.
Lightning were not just beaten by a better team on the day, just a team who turned the ball over less, and executed a play.

With the team they have on paper, how this happens is beyond me.
Also, Dickel quoted that yesterdays game was Stewarts best for the season? She has 2 offensive fouls, and as many travels or turnovers.

Just my humble opinion. but I cant see how Dickel has improved the team since Buckles departure.

Topic #33360 | Report this topic

Dr6  
Years ago

Definitely a winnable game that went begging. We look lost in the middle - I think the Centres went for 8 points combined, when they should have dominated. So many close in shots rimmed out, and it should have been their bread and butter. Leaving Poppens open all game to score at will was a clear mistake.

Reply #449966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire a new coach. Not recycled from the same group. Someone who can motivate and get the best outta players.. And can win with the baggage that comes with the job

Reply #449968 | Report this post

Years ago

"no stoppin poppens"

Reply #449974 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

Would love to see Jan Stirling back at the helm for next season.

Reply #449979 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

I was also at the game and I don't think enough credit is given to Poppens on the defensive end. She worked tirelessly on our twin bigs to deny them position on the low block and just outhustled everyone on the floor. A very high workrate. I was very impressed. Her shot is horrible though, although somehow she got them to drop. Terrible shooting action.

Also, Stewart did play very well. Her defence was solid and part of the reason for our dominant second quarter. Offensively she didn't have a great night finishing off, but found good spots and grabbed some important offensive boards.

Chegog also showed good signs. While she didn't have a good night, she showed glimpses that she could be a very good player in the WNBL. Athletic, tall, with some solid moves in the post.

There were some good signs yesterday but it may be too late to turn things around.

Reply #449980 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

They need a point guard who can handle the ball. Until that happens things won't change.

As it is, Marino, who once was a reasonable outside shot and was reasonably effective from outside, seems to have now decided she wants to dribble even more and repeatedly puts herself in no-win situations inside the key, so they not only don't get her outside shooting, she loses the ball in 'giant land' or throws it away because of the pressure.

Putting all that aside, there is a common factor between the turnovers and the performance inside: passing skills. For mid-court turnovers you can argue the receiver is half the problem, but it's hard to argue that with the centres, who were repeatedly in great position and simply weren't given the ball. And when there was a delivery it was invariably a sloppy, loopy pass that didn't reach the target &/or was deflected or picked off.

A few drills focusing on varying passes [bounce pass, anyone?] and hitting targets through hands/defenders would be a big step in the right direction.

And for what it's worth, I too thought yesterday was the best I've seen from Stewart. Definitely showed more aggression, quickness and awareness, in my opinion.

As for Poppens ... a tour de force!

Reply #449996 | Report this post

Years ago

you heard about poppens here first !

go back a few months........

Reply #449998 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

as been said before -

the only way to be a top wnbl team is to have national team involvement be players or coaches.

it gravitates the top individuals involved and snowballs.

Reply #449999 | Report this post

catching fire  
Years ago

lightning not that far off the pace - just shows how tight it is this season - whilst finals are looking beyond there grasp - they will show some fight with their backs against the wall.

Reply #450000 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

While I don't mean to fuel the fire, I've heard that the Lighting are looking into offering Dickel a contract extension for next season.

Could be full of hot air, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if it eventuated.

Reply #450018 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

Good luck signing players if that happens

Reply #450021 | Report this post

fubr  
Years ago

Why is it this question or one similar gets asked ever time the Lightning lose to Melbourne?!!

Reply #450058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Dickle won a game yet?

If not then how could they possibly look to resign him?

Reply #450060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Owner is the issue and no coach could really be in charge with the constraints

Reply #450065 | Report this post

Years ago

A little from Boti's Blog today
http://www.botinagy.com/blog/round-about-nbl10wnbl11/
Somes it up really.

Fast forward to Sunday and Adelaide Lightning coach Richard Dickel has had all 10 players of his rotation into the game with 2:46 left in THE FIRST QUARTER.

Way to get a quintet settled.

Jess Foley hits two shots, misses a third, heads to the bench. See you next quarter love.

Playing her 100th game, Nadeen Payne comes in at 5:14, makes a basket at 4:42 and is out after playing a grand total of 2:25 for the period.

I'm sorry. These aren’t examples of coaching to me. They’re examples of interfering and not following the ebb and flow of the contest. It’s "book coaching" as Darryl Pearce once so-aptly put it. It is sticking to some rigid plan and not recognising what is unfolding in front of your eyes.

It is college-style coaching where you need to do something every 47 seconds or risk being regarded as that enemy of the NCAA-system - the, ugh, “players’ coach”.

But then I am a dinosaur who still believes when a player is going well, you go to that well as often as you can. Not sit him/her down.

Reply #450072 | Report this post

Years ago

^^^^ sorry SUMS IT UP REALLY

Reply #450073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaching tips from Boti is pretty laughable!

Reply #450099 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I thought the same. Every time someone looked good, off they came. I thought Payne and Stewart started to get it together and off they came. Shegog not settled yet, needs more time getting used to WNBL. Jo Hill looked like she was champing at the bit. Have seen her eyes roll on occasions when Dickel talking. Has anyone watched the telecasts and listened to time outs...……….

Reply #450105 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coaching tips from Boti is pretty laughable!
Anon, do you disagree with the comments he made? Play the ball.

Reply #450109 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

Dickel is a joke

Reply #450112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac,

Maybe they were subbed out of the game for continual defensive breakdowns.

Easy to point out made shots, harder to see if they are defending on a stats sheet.

Reply #450114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have had some reasonable coaches and all have ended in the doghouse. The incumbent is treading waster watching for sharks and it's about time you realise it's not coaches. Jo hill rolling her eyes is a clue to the personality mix and when added to the oft quoted well known issues you have a dysfunctional team. Lightning were saved from extinction but you have to question is what was saved worth the effort and judging by attendances, it's not.

Reply #450117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, perhaps you are right, but the problem is the man is very selective when he uses that "ball" to bag a coach.
Does/did he criticise Andrej, who would regularly play 10 guys in the first 6 minutes of gmaes while winning championships with the Breakers?
Or Bevo, who would often run 10 in the first qtr of games?
No he didn't, because they were successful. But they used the exact same tactic as the ones he bagged in that article.
Most coaches now days certainly run a bunch of guys in first quarters, either hold your theory to all of them or none. Not ones selectively.

Reply #450122 | Report this post

Firstly, if what Boti said is true re Dickel's substitutions then god help us.

Success in women's basketball requires players having respect for the coach, and if the players don't respect the coach then you've got nothing...

We've got nothing at the moment!!!

Top level sportswomen will "run through a brick wall" for their coach just like men, but it's apparent that Dickel doesn't have the respect of his players.

Play out the season and hope like hell someone with runs on the board (Come back Jan!!!)or approach Simon or Yorkie.

Get the broom out, do some spring cleaning and start fresh next season.

Oh, and btw, the first thing I want to see a new coach do is not offer Angela a contract. Bring in another young player!

Reply #450124 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

So because the 10 players system worked for other coaches, it should be ok to do that system when it doesn't work for another team? How does that make sense lol. You can't make constants subs and expect a team to work together well with complete uncertainty as to what will happen the next dead ball, especially when a team hasn't been together that long

Reply #450144 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

We miss Steph Talbot. Watching her drive into the key and dish with such ease makes me wonder how Ange gets as many assists as she does because I sure as hell can't work out where she is dribbling and where the ball will end up. I rarely go since the Chris Lucas fiasco and nothing I have seen under the new coach will get me back there.

Reply #450147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, Except that making constant subs has worked for the grand finalists over the past 5 years. So maybe there is something in that.

Doesn't mean you should jerk people who are scoring off. Just that playing 10 people isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reply #450153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, Except that making constant subs has worked for the grand finalists over the past 5 years. So maybe there is something in that.

Doesn't mean you should jerk people who are scoring off. Just that playing 10 people isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Reply #450154 | Report this post

ricey  
Years ago

Yeah but it isn't for every team. Because Rodman won 3 rings with the bulls while going out every night before the finals games, does that mean every other player should?

Reply #450173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ricey, Boti is criticising the SYSTEM - not whether it suits a particular team. The SYSTEM worked fine for NZ and Perth - so why doesn't he criticise Bevo and Andrej for using the system!

I'm not saying whether it's right or not - just that you need to be consistent in analysing the system.

Reply #450189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You run systems to suit the team. The Wildcats and Breakers ran deep so can get away with playing 10 early and see who is on for the night.

Just because 1 system works for 1 or some teams doesn't mean it is good for all. Have a big team, you slow it down and pump it inside. Have a small quick team, run the hell out of it. Run 10 deep, run 10 players, run 7 deep, you don't run 10 players in the 1st etc etc etc.

As they say Horses for Courses.

Reply #450386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boti u genarally have balanced viewpoint but on this ocassion you are off the mark. bottom line the "studs" are playing 30-35 minutes so a few subs in the first quarter is not the problem. the problem is three fold
1) there is no culture of TEAM. players player for themselves because they are trying to secure court time as oppossed to the goal of the team winning
2) persisting with studs in the hope they will get it done: 35 minutes 2 points; 30 minites a a few points and a few assists but ball in you hand 80% of time; 25% shooting but you are a stud so persists in the hope it will turn around.
3) players encouraged to make a play as oppsed to make a descion for th team. Extra pass, screen a player v go one on one off dirbble

Reply #450404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sorry Issac - you are right same ip

Just re read my post

Very negative and normaaly i am positive

Bottome line CULTURE TERRIBLE > this is a very selfish team > Players play for
themselves

But whose fault is that - OWNER , DAUGHTER, Coach........ DAUGHTER OWNER Coach :)

Unfortunatley NO SOLUTION

Reply #450408 | Report this post

michael  
Years ago

How bout we talk defensive deficiencies because at the end of the day their opponents are out scoring them. His defensive decisions make no sense.

Reply #450427 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754