Mick
Years ago

NBL stats...points in the paint and fast break pts

I know this has been an ongoing gripe with Boti Nagy's columns in recent weeks, and he keeps blaming One/Ten, but isn't it the guys on the floor who work the stats for the league that are making these bungles, and then just feeding it to the broadcasters?

Points in the paint is kept poorly, I understand that, but at least they are recording SOME points in the paint....however, fast break points? Why even have a column for it in the boxscore if it is never being recorded at all?

Look at every boxscore for every game. Fastbreak points is always zero for both sides.

I'm not even going to get into all the missed blocks / assists / turnovers, as these bungles are less easily noticed.

Are these people being paid or just volunteering their time to keep the stats?

Topic #33370 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe most are volunteers.

Reply #450223 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

That's fine, and hats off to them for doing it.

Someone is either telling them to not to count fastbreak points, or they don't know what a fast break is. Either one is fine, really, but don't have a column for it in the boxscore, until either a). the league wants to count fastbreak points, or b). the stat counters are educated about what constitutes a fastbreak.

Because according to the stats, not a single fastbreak point was scored in the last round of NBL action. Not really possible in the game of basketball.

Reply #450224 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

To be more clear: the boxscore isn't the issue (very few people look at it), it's the TV analysts making themselves look stupid by using the boxscore to come up with talking points that have no correlation with the game they are covering.

Now we have every game on NBL.tv along with the FTA coverage, it's a bit of a problem, especially when unseasoned fans garner a lot of their insight into a game they aren't familiar with from the commentators.

Reply #450225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most leagues at lower levels too are the same, many coaching staff have to keep their own data on these metrics...
I understand they are volunteers and it's very much appreciated but it just helps if they could do it a bit better. Perhaps the NBL and other leagues need to enforce better data collection as well for the home teams running the benches. put in fines etc...

FB pts are definately a joke and coaches really can use that stat as a KPI on how their Trans O and D is working effectively.

Reply #450226 | Report this post

Statsheet Stuffer  
Years ago

Goes to show the gap between the NBL and other professional leagues in the country. Have a go at what the NRL just announced.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-partnering-with-prozone-sports/tabid/10874/newsid/75763/default.aspx

Reply #450227 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

That's another thing I was wondering anon: to teams use these datasets for their own use or do they keep a proper set in-house? If so: uh oh.

Though, with only a handful of games each round it wouldn't be too hard for an assistant to compile their own set while they do their scouts.

The NRL is traditionally viewed as backward-thinking by many, so you can't let them get a leg-up with something like this.

Look at the analytics boom in the NBA over the past 5 years. You have to keep pace or you'll become a laughingstock. This is something that fans want to be able to use to follow the game, it's not just for scouts and coaches any more.

Reply #450229 | Report this post

FYI  
Years ago

Bench staff are paid a league set fee. Lets call it beer money for the weekend.

Reply #450231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldnt call it beer money for the weekend, I'd call it a couple of drinks after the game

Reply #450233 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Maybe they have the drinks before the game and that's why they can't count fastbreak points?

Reply #450234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some clubs have junior or development coaches volunteer their time to keep specific stats for the team; either basic stats because they dont believe the boxscore or advanced metrics like Usage, contested shots, PER, points per possession, pace, deflections, shot charts, +/-, 5 man rotations, etc

Reply #450235 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Another question: what the hell is "DT" that you see a column for in NBL boxscores?

Never heard of this metric being used at any level of basketball anywhere in the world, but maybe I'm just clueless...

Reply #450236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you think maybe, just maybe if FB stats are zero on every game that they might be directed not to note them? It would appear that would be the commonsense conclusion

Reply #450239 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Common sense would suggest that, anon, but why then would you have the statistic FASTBREAK POINTS in every damn box score? Get rid of the category!

Why do guys throw down dunks during halftime highlight reels and then have ZERO points in the paint? Did they jump from outside the paint?

Reply #450242 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DT is Dream Team points. Fantasy sports are big business.

Reply #450244 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

There is your answer, get the stats relevant to something associated with gambling or betting and it will be done brilliantly!

Problem solved...

Reply #450257 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Points in the paint should be OK as that is automatically derived from where the Statistician clicks the mouse to indicate where on the court the shot was taken.

But while recent versions of FIBA LiveStats (the program used to collect the stats for almost all leagues in Australia) has the ability to record fastbreak points, the official Australian calling protocol has not been updated to define how it is to be used. Thus you get inconsistent use of it and I would say invariably low captured numbers. Hopefully BA's Stats Committee will update the aclling protocol soon.

Reply #450266 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754